Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb 2022 Summer Release: What you need to know

Our 2022 Summer Release represents the biggest change to Airbnb in a decade. We’re introducing:

• Airbnb Categories: A new way to search that makes it easy for guests to discover millions of homes they never knew existed

• Split Stays: An innovative feature that pairs two listings when a guest searches for a longer stay

• AirCover: The most comprehensive protection in travel, included for free with every stay

Get all the details on the Resource Center, and tell us: Will you be updating your listing for Airbnb Categories and Split Stays? How will you update it?

1,048 Replies 1,048

After weeks talking with Airbnb CS complaining about CATEGORIES FIASCO, I’ve realized that #Airbnbdontcare #putcategoriesdown

#airbnbdoesntcare. Let’s get unity to remove this Categories NONESENSE

Natasha-and-John0
Level 10
Cornville, AZ

The suggestion from Airbnb  is to build an OMG category stay. 

But the system will choose it

The MOST disastrous release for Hosts and Guests equally ever. PERIOD 

Some folks need to be fired for trying too hard to stay in the buzzwords line 

Chet-And-Waveney0
Level 1
Norwich, United Kingdom

We have a property on our vineyard in South Norfolk - Chet Valley Vineyard - which was listed in the Sunday Times under the top 7 UK vineyard stays this week.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/best-uk-vineyards-stay-overnight-w5d8pgzq2

When we first created our listing there was no "vineyard stay" category to chose when putting it up on Airbnb. There is now a searchable term when travelling "Vineyard stay" but it appears to randomly allocate properties under this heading so one or properties by the beach for example on the Isle of Wight are listed as "Vineyard stays" but are clearly NOT on a vineyard. Whereas our property which is clearly on a vineyard does not come up when searching "vineyard stays" in the UK. I have tried the on line chat and making an in person call to sort this out with no resolution. I wonder if anyone in the community has had a similar experience and been able to resolve this issue of being unable to change the category to more accurately reflect the location of the property listing?

I am grateful for any advice and help as the Airbnb support team appear to be unable to help me with this issue.

Kind regards

Bridget and John Hemmant

Chet Valley Vineyard

Norwich

South Norfolk

Bridget

Yes, I have a property designed and built by a famous architect in Sedona. Other properties designed by Madole are historical monuments. Not showing up in the design category... no idea what to do about it. It just seems like a crap shoot at this point, doesn't make any sense, and meanwhile I've no bookings at all. (I have been consistently fully booked for years.)

Jennifer1774
Level 5
Sacramento, CA

Yes, this is an utter mess.  We have gone from 97% booked month over month for the last 3 years to 26%.  It’s not a coincidence and I’m pretty angry about it.  Has anyone heard if the powers that be intend to keep this as is or have plans to debug it?  I have to think it’s affecting their income too.  

I have heard they are test driving their upcoming take over of the STR market on us. This is not verified, but what I heard is that they are buying land and building STR's outside main tourist areas, and seeing if they can drive traffic to these less desirable spots to see if this will fly. I do know many people can't find anything reasonable anymore in areas like Moab... not for lack of places but for lack of visibility.

I'm sure  by now they know its a disaster for many hosts; as they haven't done anything I  haven't much hope. I'd suggest buckling up and start building a presence on other sites. 

I have heard other hosts say this too, but it just doesn’t add up to me.

Shareholders, a lot of them hosts, wouldn’t stand for it and that would create a lot of risk exposure for Airbnb. Their lack of real risk I think is one of the genius moves for Airbnb because we as hosts take a lot of the risk for them while still providing a great product for them to make money selling.

I personally think they are trying to do something innovative to ensure they do not lose the market share they have gained from VRBO/Homeaway over the years. They are doing it badly right now without a doubt, but it will take time to turn this once nimble start up around because now they are a behemoth whose name is synonymous with what they sell. Not to mention, they are also working to impress shareholders as we could be slipping into a recession.

I firmly agree though that we are in for a bumpy ride. 

@Jennifer1774 @Lisa34 @Peggy137 

i do not think either that they will debug more of the current situation, as I Now beleive they did most of it in purpose.

and I also taught their income and financial situation was still shaken after 2 years of pandemic.

but apparently not … they seam to have lots of money to invest with this 10 million project  they are ready to do on the OMG Category

https://news.airbnb.com/omgfund/

Annie

ow if a guest wants to rent a place, in order to get your property it needs to specify look for your place.

instead of you search for example “Tulum” see ALL THE PROPERTIES available and start filtering according what you want, the NEW MESSY SUMMER RELEASE … if they filter first all the things your offer (MAY BE A FORTUNE TELLER) , may be your place will show up and you will be lucky enough to get rented.

no wonder why hotels are over the top selling now and VRBO has too many requests 

plus with taxes and everything… I think Airbnb is pushing people to hotels again

To be fair, hotels charge tax too. However, I totally agree that this il timed release and sluggish response by Airbnb is hurting their hosts while everyone else seems to be having a blockbuster summer.

Please take a look how many views less I have!!CB20FD7E-86D3-4591-97C2-52221BA109E2.png

It’s right there in black and white. How is there no culpability or communication or at the least an apology from AirBnb? If they had warned us I would’ve moved my proverbial eggs to another platform’s basket. Now it high season and I haven’t had squat for bookings all summer. 

This just isn’t right. 

It’s not like we are asking for something for nothing. They make money from our booking too!   Just don’t get it.