Airbnb Answers: A new claims process that’s faster and simpler for hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: A new claims process that’s faster and simpler for hosts

New Claims Article.jpg

You asked: What is Airbnb doing to better support hosts if things go wrong?

The short answer is: a lot! Before we dive in to the exciting changes we’re working on, there’s one important thing to keep in mind: Instances of property damage on Airbnb are quite rare. On average, significant claims of damage happen less than 0.004% of the time.
That means, you could host a new reservation every day for 63 years and never expect to have to file a significant damage claim.

But it’s true that accidents do happen, and if they do, we want your home and valuables to be protected. That’s why we created safeguards like the Security Deposit and $1 Million Host Guarantee in the first place, and that’s why we’re committed to making sure they work for you. 

We’ve heard from you that the process to access these safeguards feels like it takes too long and is too complicated. And that it’s hard to access your Security Deposit or get reimbursed through the Host Guarantee. And that’s unacceptable.

So we’re completely revamping the process for damage claims to make it more host-friendly. Here are four big changes you can expect:

Now, you’ll have more time

You used to have to report damages within 72 hours after check-out or before your next guest's check-in, whichever was earlier. Now you have 14 days, or before next guest's check-in, whichever is earlier. We’re also going to be giving you a lot more time to complete the claims process— it’s longer than two weeks now.

You don’t have to do as much legwork

We’ve reduced the amount of documentation required for most claims.

You can expect a fair payout

We’re now consistently including sales tax and other associated costs in our reimbursement to hosts.

You can expect quicker answers

We’ve revamped the way the Airbnb support team handles cases like these to make it faster and easier for hosts. Already, since we’ve introduced these improvements, claim-resolution time has decreased by more than 20% in the past few months.

We’re looking at the full picture here, and we realize we have a ways to go. But we’re actively working on making the entire experience better for you when you need support.

Thank you for your feedback on this important issue so far, and please keep letting us know how we can improve. We’ll be sure to keep you posted as more improvements roll out.

View this and other answers from the Host Q&A here.

101 Replies 101

@Jeffrey30 wrote:

These changes are not enough. The policy of reporting before the next check-in is absurd. I have many times where guests check-out and check-in within hours of each other. There’s no time to get costs let alone receipts in before the next guest checks in. Furthermore, this new policy doesn’t address one of the biggest problems I face and am rarely compensated for is guests who rob me of per person fees by booking for a few people and bringing 20. There’s no difference between not paying or walking out the fron door with a tv and Airbnb does not enforce or compensate me unless I go through the entire stay’s worth of video footage and make each person’s entry and exit and even then I’m not compensated. Additionally, when claims are entered, it usually results in retaliatory reviews which have affected my overall rating and superhost status. Completely unfair and this policy ‘improvement’ as it’s described, is vague and I don’t feel it’s going to change much. 

I live  on the property I list, and have rented vacation homes managed by professionals who knock on doors and check the number of cars to uphold thier contracts.  If everyone's being honest, there's no reason to have an issue with that.

I don't instant book my ABB and greet every guest to avoid this problem.  I've confronted guests who have tried to sneak in others and been caught (one was a government employee working for a well known investigative angency lol...).  The latter actually pulled in the driveway mid afternoon at checkin time, then left and returned after dark to try to get away with it.

I could care less whether it's thier wife or grandmother as long as they're safe and I have no intention of mentiong names in my reviews. It's about liability and ethics. When I saw what was going on I was able to handle the situations by calmly explaining my liability concerns and offering to find them other acommodations (in a fully booked town lol) or calling airbnb on the spot to update the reservation to the correct # of guests, and adding on any applicable fees.  They made the sanest choice for all of us.

I realize not everyone is on site or even in the same town, but this is what's working for me.

If Airbnb was really serious about keeping hosts happy they would:

1. Require guests to list the names and ages of everyone on a reservation.

2. Have an electronic signature engine to allow hosts to get a signed rental agreement that will hold up in court.

3. Not allow guests to post a review if they violate the house rules or have a damage claim against them.

We have rented our mountain cabin for 11 years (before Airbnb was even formed) using VRBO, our own website and Airbnb.  We stopped hosting this year beause too many guests caused damage, created extra cleaning, tried to sneak in additional guests, etc.  

Shawn-and-Cheryl0
Level 2
Wiarton, Canada

We would like to bring up a subject we believe needs to be discussed.  Bodily fluids.  Hosting has its perks but when you are up against vomit, feces and bodily fluids it ups the ante.  With so many contractable superbugs out there, gloving up and donning a mask prior to clean up is essential.  The downtime to address such messes negatively impact hosting capabilities and costs more to clean.  Our losses from only one such incident (we've had only two, thank goodness) included bedding, 2 floor mats, 3 bath towels, and pillow. Let alone the extenuating cleanup costs.  For the record, the guest denied responsibility.   In such cases we feel the "guest" should incur not only property loss costs but bio-hazard cleanup costs as well.  

The fact that the claim process has been revised will make it more likely that such claims can and will be made.  

Asury-and-Adam0
Level 3
Clarksville, TN

This would be very helpful! I've had to eat the cost of guests that have caused damages to my property because AirBnB my evidence wasn't sufficient. I replaced a broken couch and submitted receipts and pictures if of damaged item. AirBnB requested a picture of the couch in its broken status. By the time the requested this I had already disposed of the couch and what was broken was the frame which is not visible from the exterior. The picture I originally submitted required me to rip the fabric and stick my phone on the couch! I ate a few hundred bucks and guest who had violated the extra guest rule, walked away with no penalty. I fought this for about a month! 

Sajjad0
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I have a number of outstanding claims and claims Airbnb have refused to payout 

I have given up trying to recover monies from Airbnb and guests damage the property and spillages of drinks on carpets etc 

guven a run around seems Airbnb do not collect deposits they attempt to ask guests their reply to the damage then do not pay out total nonsense !!!! 

In on instance was told you you have had a number of claims !!! We allow events and parties and the damages reflects the fact but Airbnb refused to pay out 

Andrew993
Level 1
San Diego, CA

You gotta love this BS.  AirBnB's "Guarantee"  that's a legal word for "not an insurance policy."   Which means we're not legally obligated to cover you, we'll just cover you when we feel like it - which is never. I've never once had a good experience filing a claim with AirBnB.   So much so I've ceased all my rentals with AirBnB.  This stock is going to go down the tubes when everyone finds out the emperor has no clothes.

I am currently making a claim and thus is not the case at all I have had to relocate guests which aur bnb have said us at my expense and the documentation air bnb ate asking for is ridiculous 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I am happy that Airbnb recognized this problem. I will be even happier if I never read a post about refused damage claim again.

I think VRBO collects actual security deposit and then return it automatically after 2 weeks if host didn't submit a damage claim.

Booking.com allowes hosts to collect it by themselves. I don't understand why Airbnb doesn't do the same? It would be so much easier and safer for hosts and for Airbnb.

David1419
Level 2
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

The airbnb claims process is a joke.  We host many properties on airbnb and we have given up on making claims.  Much like the other hosts, they either ignore them entirely or give you a fraction of what the item costs to replace because of "wear and tear".   We now require that our guests sign a check in document and provide a VALID credit card on arrival.  The check in document makes them responsible for all damages.  This process works much better as it is at your own discretion.  This does not address the situation of bad reviews posted by the guests who have done damage to your property.  It is ridiculous that airbnb allows these posts to remain online when they are clearly made by nefarious individuals.

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

@Danita0 

Danita,  of course that is true. If they don’t collect one, they shouldn’t prentend to be collecting one to appease the hosts and say is is a “security deposit’ of any kind, when it isn’t, in any sense of the word, for deposit or for security. 

Other STR websites do actually collect a hold on a credit card and release it a few days after checkout. That’s what hotels do too, wow! That doesn’t seem to deter many bookers. And the ones it does deter, I really don’t think I want to be hosting any way!

Wow,  lots of dissatisfaction being expressed here!  I to found that the insurance I thought would cover damage to my property actually doesn't ! So now I am paying $1450 to fix sewerage system broken with unmentionables being flushed, even when there were signs saying not to flush anything but toilet paper & bins were provided!!

The dude communicating with me very good at the fob off.  VERY p.....d off that this is my problem!!! 

Richard529
Level 8
Honolulu, HI

I can't begin to describe what a nightmare it has been to deal with customer service for reimbursements.  I actually feel like every time I have to call into them that I am treated as a worthless animal.  They say "I'm sorry" over and over again but those are just word.  The action speaks much louder.  And that action is total disdain for hosts!

I am a property manager and currently offer 17 properties on Airbnb.   I recently pointed out that the business I do generates $1.5 million a year...Airbnb takes in $175-200K of that a year.  They make more money that I do in fact and what do I get in return?  I have to spend hours just to get $20 for sheet replacement for stains that wont come out after spending a couple of hours and expense to treat and wash.  Just $20...and I cant even get that!  The security deposit scheme is a lie.  There is no security for hosts.  And we shouldnt have to fight and jump through hoops for it either.   Airbnb comes no where close to accepting responsibilty and sharing risks.

I have had to take a unit offline at least twice a year due to guest damages.  So that once every 63 years claim is de-bunked in my book!   And in recent years, Airbnb has been less than helpful.  Im the one penalized because of guest damages with bad service and retaliating (and downright lies) reviews.

And the review system is a sham as well.  Guests use it to retaliate when their behavior is called out.  Airbnb calls it "the guest's experience".    Airbnb, that is total Bull**bleep** because you simply choose to not do the right thing and confront the problem.   Airbnb is complicit in allowing the destruction of our properties and they are happy to do it as they hit a payday with every guest!

And pricing year over year goes down.  Every other day I get an email saying I could get a long term stay if I offered a 52% discount.  WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?   How about I only rent for half the month at the normal rate?    I have never seen an email or any kind of messaging from Airbnb to let me what they are doing to further market our assests to increase the rates we can collect.  They are just driving down the market prices to nothing.  Compensation is at an all time low!

We provide the assests, in my case, about $5m worth, and yet, Airbnb exercises total control and FINAL SAY?   This has become a truly failed business model.  It didnt used to be this way.  Five or so years ago, the service they provided was beyond exceptional.   I couldnt stop talking about how wonderful they were at every turn and experience.  I must have referred at least 20 new hosts during that time.   I was proud and happy and felt like a partner.

I feel like I am dealing with criminals everytime I call in now. 

All of this "hey, we heard you and this is what we are going to do..." is just propaganda for stringing us along a little more while they passively take from us and allow guests to demoralize and destroy us.  Everything else is just lipstick on a pig!  

Hosts are slaves to the system Airbnb has become.  The joke is on us.  That is the reality.  

Cyn-M0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Airbnb wants it to be difficult when something goes wrong,  so that you will give up, and hopefully not bother making a claim next time. In 2 instances where someone has had a big party ( against house rules),  and I supplied photos after the party.  Airbnb claimed that was what my cleaning fee was for,  and any damages the guest claimed were there before.  They back the guest who has a party completely.   In another case someone else  just rented a room, had a party in the entire place (against house rules), I had photos of people sleeping and walking all over the place the next morning, and airbnb said they were just visiting,  and allowed to be there .  Another airbnb guest was there to witness it too . They can't seem to be able to count the number of people in photos.   A new level of corruption at airbnb happened recently when I gave a refund of nights not stayed in a booking at the same cost the guests paid, however the airbnb employee made a big mistake and overrefunded them about $1400.  That came out of my transactions.  It was partially corrected,  but airbnb would not correct it all,  after a couple months of many tickets. If airbnb makes a mistake,  you must pay the price.  

Victoria621
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I had the worst experience in my life to file a claim with any insurance company.airbnb claim center is full of lies and deception.I had over  $15 k  damage to my beautiful guest house by 18 years old guest who brought in over 20 drunk girls and boys I reach out to Airbnb since then so many times,I sent pictures immediately,They trashed and damaged my house,cigarettes burns all over my wood I floor and rugs,broken windows need replacement paint,walls so much damage.I Bigged I cried, I was kind,I tried to explain what happened to the costumes support people and every time I called I got the same reply from the parsons who are on the other side.

“ I am sorry there is nothing I can do,some one from the claim department will be in to7with you within 72 hours “

it have been over 70 days I can’t talk a parson from the claim department,I received email asking me to submit more documents and I have only 4 days and when I went to the resolution center to do so I found my case closed,I called Airbnb again and begged just to let me talk to his supervisor he said he can do that,I send email it won’t go through...................I can’t write all the headaches I have had with this!!!!!!!!!!

I have been a superhost for the last 4 years,this is a reflection on how I treat my guests and to be treated like this by Airbnb is unprofessional and unacceptable!!!!!!!!! I am Airbnb guest and I expect them to treat me with respect.

AIRBNB...... YOUR ONE MILLION DOLLARS INSURANCE POLICY HAVE NOT BEEN PUT TO WORK IN THIS CASE.

PLEASE HAVE A PARSON WHO WE YOUR GUEST CAN TO TO ABOUT HOW TO PUT A CLAIM AND RESOLVE THE ISSU.

AIRBNB YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT WE ARE YOUR GUESTS AND YOU SHOULD TREAT US AS YOU ASK US TO TREAT OUR GUESTS!!!!!! 

Alex205
Level 2
Boca Raton, FL

I totally agree with Summer, I had pictures with all damage caused by a guest and only few hrs. before new guest arrived Airbnb was an obstacle instead of helping with the situation, time frame to summit details and receipts was short and pictures were not enough....joke.