Airbnb Answers: A new claims process that’s faster and simpler for hosts

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: A new claims process that’s faster and simpler for hosts

New Claims Article.jpg

You asked: What is Airbnb doing to better support hosts if things go wrong?

The short answer is: a lot! Before we dive in to the exciting changes we’re working on, there’s one important thing to keep in mind: Instances of property damage on Airbnb are quite rare. On average, significant claims of damage happen less than 0.004% of the time.
That means, you could host a new reservation every day for 63 years and never expect to have to file a significant damage claim.

But it’s true that accidents do happen, and if they do, we want your home and valuables to be protected. That’s why we created safeguards like the Security Deposit and $1 Million Host Guarantee in the first place, and that’s why we’re committed to making sure they work for you. 

We’ve heard from you that the process to access these safeguards feels like it takes too long and is too complicated. And that it’s hard to access your Security Deposit or get reimbursed through the Host Guarantee. And that’s unacceptable.

So we’re completely revamping the process for damage claims to make it more host-friendly. Here are four big changes you can expect:

Now, you’ll have more time

You used to have to report damages within 72 hours after check-out or before your next guest's check-in, whichever was earlier. Now you have 14 days, or before next guest's check-in, whichever is earlier. We’re also going to be giving you a lot more time to complete the claims process— it’s longer than two weeks now.

You don’t have to do as much legwork

We’ve reduced the amount of documentation required for most claims.

You can expect a fair payout

We’re now consistently including sales tax and other associated costs in our reimbursement to hosts.

You can expect quicker answers

We’ve revamped the way the Airbnb support team handles cases like these to make it faster and easier for hosts. Already, since we’ve introduced these improvements, claim-resolution time has decreased by more than 20% in the past few months.

We’re looking at the full picture here, and we realize we have a ways to go. But we’re actively working on making the entire experience better for you when you need support.

Thank you for your feedback on this important issue so far, and please keep letting us know how we can improve. We’ll be sure to keep you posted as more improvements roll out.

View this and other answers from the Host Q&A here.

101 Replies 101
Henry23
Level 2
New York, NY

"I think that a lot of why you have so few claims about property damage by guests is because it is so time consuming to make a claim. There have been many times when guests have broken house rules or damaged my property and I haven't made a claim".

But this is the craziest so far. Booked a guest, he checked in. Everything ok. Then he went as far as bringing a cat to the house, take piectures of that cat inside my house then open a case to get his money money back claiming I did't disclose I have cat at the house ( I do not have any ) He sent the pics and the representative believed him.  Even thogh I sent a video ( I have cameras )  showing that guest bringing that cat inside my house the representative keeps saing I do not see it I do not see it. I told her to call the other 2 airbnb guests at my house so they can tell her I do not have any cats at my house, she refuced. Basicaly people just can come and do WHAT EVER they want and then we the hosts are just in our own. I just deleted that listing and thinking seriously to end this hosting popo.

Airbnb MUST start thinking seriously to support the host and be responsible, billons of dollar made. I think is just urgent that they take some real accion to protect the hosts and our properties.

Pamela399
Level 1
Healdsburg, CA

I'm thrilled to read this! It's been very difficult to get damages on the few claims we've had and has felt to me like the host is the one under the gun trying to "prove" there was an incident. I'm glad you've heard us and look forward to working with the new system.

Lou4
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

What about costs occuring when guests bring bed bugs into my flat? I have had problems in the past having to cover all the cost myself and now are treating regurlarly to avoid problems but this is a common and recurring problem and it always falls on the host to pay for it/reinburse the guest etc...when it is outside of my control. I understand it's a hard one to tackle but it would seem fair if Airbnb came up with a solution / support for this.

Eric952
Level 2
Toledo, OH

Thus give me cause to consider changing my REQUIREMENTS for acceptable guest ratings AND enforced Security Deposits... I'd like to receive a copy of their Government Issued I.D.? PRIOR to accepting their booking....

Hugo252
Level 1
Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal

I think that is good that Airbnb try to improve the hosts security but there is a lot more to do.

When I knew the guest were making trouble at the house I called airbnb and told them they were making damages and going against the house rules. I told airbnb that I wanted them out of the house and instead of helping me protect my home, they were more concerned protecting the guests. They call them to ask them if they could move to another house and since they didn't answer, airbnb told me they couldn't do anything about it.

I was away so I couldn't go to the house and ask them to leave, but when I got them on the phone I said they weren't respecting the house rules so they had to leave but they refused. They said they would stay until the end. Luckily was the last night, but they were still able to make more damages. 

I think airbnb should protect the hosts in this situations, preventing the houses of getting more damages.

This happend more that one month ago.. I filled complain, since t hen, no more contact from airbnb. When I contact the airbnb support it's always the same answer. A manager will be assigned to your case.. For now I have a 2 star review that it's not fair, it was a vindictive review and still no reemboursement for the damages..

There's a lot to improve to protect the hosts...

Nick358
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

Well as of 30 days after this post,  the process seems to have become more time consuming and frustrating.  I have sent 9 emails back to “Alfredo”, my case manager with the t&S team with not one reply.   I have asked for updates, verification of him receiving documents, what additional items he needs from me, etc.   I have not even received so much as a courtesy reply acknowledging my inquiries.   I have never felt more “on trial” than I have after a guest ripped my faucet out of wall and stood there for 15 minutes while it flooded my living room.   I have provided more documentation than any insurance company would ever ask for and obtained several estimates, as requested.    I understand change takes some time and processes take to time to implement.  That said, I cannot ever understand not communicating or answering an email for more than 12 days to let a host know what they can expect regarding their home being significantly damaged.  I have never felt more misled by Airbnb over the past 5 years of hosting.  I have called several times only to have my frustrations fall on deaf ears time and time again.   How is this getting better??  How do you allow an employee to treat a host so poorly??? 

I have insurance paid for a whole year - in case of damage, this makes me feel more safe. I have also a security deposit on my listing.

What I think Airbnb should do - is to add real insurance as a must to all hosts, just as all insurance firms are doing, to take from our earnings just tiny amount quaterly,  even 5 dollars would be enough I think. In that way not only they will have enough money to cover the damages, but also money to invest for the Insurance study of some of their staff. 

I also think that guests should be rewarded in some way if they had any amount of bookings without any claims and with only good reviews from hosts- and vice versa - they should be penalized when a damage  have been done, even once, and even when they do not admit it, as in most cases there is a denial. As airbnb is taking 15% from the booked price - the first ones might be rewarded with 12% and after more time - with 10%, and the guests with damages made should be worned that for future bookings their percent will rise to 20% and by 5% with every next claim - and reduction will be possible only after X amount of bookings without any claim and only good reviews from hosts.   

P.S. Guests who admit the damage and pay for it - should not be penalized, of course.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

In reply to a writer who complained that Airbnb booked his property to people who were under 25 years of age.

Response.

Airbnb doesn't rent your property you do.

Once a person is over 18, you cannot discriminate based on age, and they haven't developed host tools to manage this criteria, It's something you would need to actively manage yourself, and you will be in a heap of hot water once someone puts in an official complaint of ageism. From the sound of things it would not be hard to prove age based discrimmination and that might cost more. 

The more valuable and high risk you situation, the more active, you will need to be in your management.

It was more likely to be another reason other than age which was the cause of distressing and poor tenant/guest behaviour which you described.

Regards, 

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

A recent comment was made to the effect that Security deposits discourage guest booking.

Response

But do you really want a guest who is not willing to pay a security deposit? It's a signal that they intend to be cautious and leave everything the way they found it.

For me, it's a tool to screen out guests who might be lacking confidence in their own conduct.
They first save up the money they need to pay for extraordinary foolishness or they can practice situational awareness, until they get really good at it.

Once guests are very good at being cautious and well behaved they may develop the confidence to pay a security deposit, and gamble on their own skilled good behaviour. Yippee! I didn't get pinged for my security deposit. It's kinda like they get a good review.......

I tried to tag the writer, but the site is a bit wonky...

regards.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

Dear Victoria in San Diego California,

You are an experienced Superhost, with lots of good reviews from happy considerate and appreciative guests.

I am so sorry to hear about this awful experience.

I hope that Airbnb will soon be able to assist you to receive just compensation from the guests who were responsible.

Best regards, Christine.

Cleona0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Airbnb support?

It failed yet again.

I recently had a guest who refused to leave on departure day, and in fact stayed an extra night!

I reported this to Airbnb while contemplating ringing the police.

Abagail was assigned to help resolve the issue.

Airbnb support was limited to asking questions: - Did you contact the guest?

Did they agree to pay for an extra night?

Did they agree to pay an extra cleaning fee? (cleaner to return)

My answers were YES to all three questions.

I was told that Airbnb would charge the guest for an extra night plus the cleaning fee.

Now, when I contact Abagail to ask why I have not received this payment, my emails are ignored.

I´ll take my super host skills to another booking platform.

Update:

The outstanding payment was finally received when the cleaner produced and invoice for double time.

A couple of weeks later I received a letter canceling my superhost status! 

Coincidence? I had superb reviews.

Susan295
Level 2
United States

I need to report damage by a guest, and having looked how for over an hour all I can find is the claim money from guest section,  does anyone know of another way to report?

Az2
Level 3
Huntington Beach, CA

Been waiting for almost 2 weeks now, later reps just stopped answering my emails 🙂