Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229
Sherrie25
Level 3
Syracuse, NY

Photos definitely!

Photos! Full support!

When you check into a hotel/motel, by law - you need to present a government issued ID. And your card is swiped for any incidentals and damages.

And.... Unlike Airbnb host - the hotel has a security system with access to database that can flag undesired individuals and alert the hotel

How does this new policy makes hosts more secure?

How does Airbnb protects the host’s home from bad guests that trash can the home, or hookers using your home for their business? 

I guess the no screening policy (under the pretrence of no descrimination) is the answer!!

Anne1341
Level 1
Everett, WA

Personally, I believe guests should provide more information about themselves such as gender and exact ages during time of stay--similar to what is required to book any room or reservation in the travel industry. I am surprised at how incommunicative some guests can be--the more I know things such as age/gender of those staying there (and reason for their stay--business or pleasure?), the better I can accommodate their needs or provide additional information that may be helpful. As a guest, I would have no problem doing this. I think Airbnb has gotten so big, it needs to firm up guest requirements, not loosen them. I get the fear of discrimination aspect, but as someone stated, it is better to stay where one is welcome. Further, as a host I should have a right to deny a reservation request even for silly or mundane reasons, say I just don't think the stars will align that day. Airbnb relies on there being capacity/inventory and should be more protective of hosts and their interests (e.g., preserving their property and also reputation as a good host). Instead,  hosts are pressured with spam emails to open their space to anyone on any day. 

Agree wholeheartedly 

more guest information would be great and a personal response to assuring no extra guests will be attending the house!

I also agree. How many times have I rented out to one person only to find that four or more have stayed at our place and left a mess behind? These guests don't care if they get positive reviews. Airbnb is just opening the doors wider for more abuse like this. 

AGREE WITH YOU

Dawn298
Level 8
Toronto, Canada

This excuse, "discrimination," that Airbnb is using to change their policies is a joke, but not to the homeowner that hosts. Security for the host should be the foremost concern for Airbnb as we are taking all the risks. Airbnb's concern for their host's safety and security is very evident in this new policy; i.e., there is none! I have not seen a post by Airbnb in this conversation so far. And you can be sure that they are aware that we are not pleased. Let's see if they will stand up and address this error in judgment. And how long it will take.

@Airbnb - You posted that there is an update and then FAIL to post when it will go live.  FFS! You give us information that is not ready for consumption.  How many days in a row will I have to "check" if and when this feature to require a guest picture will be ready to implement?  

In my end it is already live.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
D. D. Eisenhower

.Lucky you. Not here

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Alice-and-Jeff0,

I hope you are ok.

Just to let you know, Airbnb are currently rolling out the option enabling you to set a requirement that your guests provide a profile photo. Many hosts have this option available now, and this will be available to all hosts over the coming weeks. To add, I have added more clarity on this option in the original post now. 

Would you mind keeping a look out in your Settings, to see if you have this option, I'm hoping you should have it soon. If you can let me know that would be great.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Echo3
Level 1
Tucson, AZ

I cannot agree more with the comments expressing concern about not having access to a photo. I am a single, young woman hosting people in my home. I have several relatives who already worry for my safety & I understand their concerns. This policy seems to be overly concerned with guest sensitivity to perceived discrimination, rather than a safer, more practical approach for both guests and hosts in finding a suitable match to ensure enjoyable stays/hosting experiences. This is the only policy I have felt very strongly against, in my year and a half of hosting on AirBnB. It makes me consider not hosting in the future which is sad, because it has been something I've loved.

Suzi6
Level 2
San Jose, CA

This is amazing to me. There is so much more to be seen in photos then color. I’m a single woman who rents in the house without a division. The photo is important as any referral ... body language, etc. 

my home is my sanctuary , and I’m not willing to invite someone in who I haven’t seen a face on.

If you google the “no photo policy” - you will find that Airbnb competitors have already done this, and Airbnb is simply catching up. To view copy the link to your browser:

https://www.tripping.com/industry/rental-companies/9-airbnb-competitors-that-you-should-know-about