Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229
Dawn298
Level 8
Toronto, Canada

I just spoke with an agent at Airbnb and they ended up defending the decision saying that there was discrimination against guests, and when I informed them that the majority of hosts would not discriminate, but rather need guest pictures to know who will be walking through their door he said he will let management know of my concern. When I continued to try and make my point, as he was talking over me and wouldn't let me finish, he threatened to hang up on me. This is the support that we are now going to receive from Abnb. I encourage everyone to call in and make yourselves heard, not just here on this forum but on the phone where they can hear your voice even if they get angry and hang up.

The number to call is: 

Call us: (Toll-free) 1-855-424-7262

Or: 1-437-886-4409

I'm from Germany  and I called too.

I cannot accept the new rule. 

If they don't change it back, I unfortunately need too leave. 

I have been experiencing the same issue with their support team. The agent said they were going to investigate.... told him

to go on the community here to help gather the feedback they seem not to be willing to see. 

Thank you, Donata and Nicoleta! I think I got a very inexperienced and frustrated support worker and he just wanted to hang up after reading his scripted notes. Airbnb was not interested in helping at all, or what the issue was as I did explain that it is not only I who is upset with their new policy but all hosts. Unfortunately, he didn't take this too kindly! 

Tweets get a response...because its public!

Sandra180
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

Wow!! I only just found out about this change. I am shocked. It's all about guests now. How is it fair for guests to see our profile picture and we can't see theirs?

I had a guest last summer. She had lied on her profile about where she was from. They damaged my property. I said she should be removed as she lied on her profile. They never did and cared little she said she lived in a completely different country.

I hope they rethink this stupidity.

Dawn298
Level 8
Toronto, Canada

Please call the above numbers and inundate Abnb with your concerns. They are trying to get away with eliminating what little security we have as hosts and we must let them hear our voice even if we decide to unlist our properties. They are banking on just a few disgruntled hosts complaining, not everyone threatening their bread and butter, i.e., future income.

Call us: (Toll-free) 1-855-424-7262

Or: 1-437-886-4409

I called the number and spoke with Kirsten. She actually agreed with our point regarding visible profiles. I also found the feedback tool and sent the following message. Apparently upper management reads the feedback from hosts, or at least that was what I was told. Feel free to edit and use my response if you need words. 

HERE IT IS......

I am a super host level 2. I have 5 star reviews from every guest and have never cancelled a reservation. I hope that gives me a little weight in this conversation. Would you let a masked person into your home if he/she/them knocked politely and you received a text from a blocked number telling you not to worry and that you should feel guilty about refusing to open the door? I think not, but that is essentially what you are telling your hosts to do with this new blocked profile picture policy. I am not a business with multiple properties on Airbnb; this is my home and I have the right to see who wants to stay in it. Case in point: I just received an inquiry from a person with no profile picture who had just joined and had no reviews. Guess what the inquiry was? “Is it possible to see the house before I book?” No way am I letting a “masked” person into my home under any circumstances! You should read the forum! Hundreds of people are angry and considering leaving your site! These are not the tiny little air-mattress- in-the- closet hosts. These angry people are your longtime, highly rated SuperHosts. We are warm, welcoming people who would not be so highly rated if we did not cater to our guests and open our homes to all different kinds of people. You can’t be a superhost if you refuse bookings or cancel reservations without a legitimate reason. Please listen to us and give us back the right to see our potential guests. They see us and our homes, so the same courtesy should be extended to us.
Sincerely,
Debbie B.

Tweets get responses because they're public!

Jane879
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

There are all sorts of reasons why I may decide a reservation request isnt right for me, based on my many years of experience of house-sharing in my own home. Seeing the profile helps me to make that initial connection (or not), but what is more important is having the autonomy to manage this myself prior to acceoting a booking. Airbnb has now made things over-complicated, as to have to always accept first, then negotiate to decline later, will be onerous and irritating, and will probably cause greater frustration to the person who has already booked (and presumably paid) when I decide the person and my place isn't the best fit. This is excessive and mis-directed control by Airbnb, and hosts werent consulted (I certainly wasn't). I'll be looking for different ways to find short-stay lodgers in my home in future. Renting out a room in your own home is not the same marketplace as letting out a place you dont live in, and they require different policies. Sorry Airbnb, you have got this one wrong.

Agreed.  After 30 years in customer service, it's going to backfire in huge ways as hosts leave and guests backlash after being cancelled.

Thais7
Level 4
Chippendale, Australia

I can't find the option under my Guest Requirements... 

That's because its not there.  It's a delay/distraction.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Thais7 and @Susan1028

I've just replied to you Susan regarding this earlier in this thread, I hope this is helpful. 

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

ok...

this photo thing is just the tip of the iceberg.

management started this thread so they’re monitoring it as well...maybe...and it’s one of the most commented threads in this community.

Im wondering why there’s been no response other than an alleged settings change which is so contrary to the culture here it’s feeling like Darth Vader is about to annihilate Alderon.

coincidentally (?) I was traveling by air last week and saw a beautiful glossy hard copy magazine on the airport news stand called “Air BnB.” I used to publish, so i know what goes into it, and it was very nicely done- no expense spared. Beautiful photography, layout, expensive ads, glowing goodwill human interest stories and Air BnB experiences from around the globe:

https://www.airbnb.com/magazine

When I got on the plane I discovered a second magazine with Air BnB associations.  The cover feature in Southwest Airlines January 2019 issue of “Spirit” their onboard publication, featured a black and white minimalist portrait of a man and promotional article about Air BnBs founders’ collaboration with the “business guru” on the cover who was hired by ABB a few years ago, and worked his way up to become an intimate primary resource in shaping the business culture. you can read the article here: 

https://issuu.com/southwestmag/docs/january2019/54?ff

combined with the timing of these other news releases below and others...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2018-02-09/airbnb-ipo-woes-brian...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.geekwire.com/2018/2019-blockbuster-year-tech-ipos-uber-lyft-slack-a...

...i’m realizing the feeling of ‘WTF’ everyone’s expressing here is the seismic shock within Air BnB that’s finally reaching us—the millions of minions on the ground who carried the torch and made it real and helped elevate it from a yoga mat on the living room floor in a modest San Fransisco apartment by 2 room mates trying to make rent, to a warm and fuzzy global community of change with expanding positive zeitgeist, elegance, comfort.  Together, we grew a multi billion dollar “unicorn” that’s about to be (sacrificed or glorified) on the old school IPO altar (depending on your point of view).

As the world considers how to create new win-win, heart-based sharing economies that serve the people as well as the company, one of the originals will be selling a significant portion of its innards to the highest bidders.

It doesn’t have to be a bad thing, but the way things are happening it sure feels like it might not be that great, especially for those of us on the ground bringing in those booking fees every day.

The 2018 news article about business investments made with company money by an old school finance suit that went against the philosophy of the founders, indicates significant funds/profits are tied up in current old school wall street market investments...and then there’s the news of Air BnB stock going public (more old school) maybe as early as june, meaning...

For better or worse our culture here is changing, this is how we’re finding out, we really don’t have any say, unless we all shout out...

Can our personal investment in the original philosophies measure up against the old school capitalist “carrot and pony” financial spiel?  It was the pure inspired innovation and group culture that grew air BnB...and Old school finance is what’s gotten us exactly where this crazy world is.

The world is crying for innovation.

Yes, this model could benefit from some modifications...and the users are in a great position to offer insight, and here we are! 

Maybe this world isn’t ready for big business with Heart?  Maybe the founders are tired and prefer to profit as much as they can from thier company regardless of the outcome...?

Air BnB is known as a “unicorn” in a hard core capitalist market that doesn’t want to change.  It often protects its interests by “takeovers and mergers” aka owning or destroying the competition (eating unicorns).  

The Legend of The Unicorn says only the pure of heart can see it and work with its magic...and this financial landscape is anything but pure, especially at the top.

Forgive the mixing of magical metaphors, but I feel like we hosts in this forum are collectively the Mayor of Who-vile in the Dr Seuss story ‘Horton Hears A Who,’ desperately trying to save his community and our world by asking everyone to yell “We’re here!” as loud and as repetitively as we can until the evil non-believers do hear us and pause their dastardly plan to boil us to a crisp in a cauldron of bubbling oil:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horton_Hears_a_Who!

We’re the beings on the spec of dust no one can hear except Horton (the founders), Horton's  been proclaimed insane by the townspeople who don’t get it and don’t want to hear it (the old school) as Hirton tries to protect that spec of dust upon which a whole community resides (Air BnB), and we Who’s may still have the ability to make a difference in the fate of our community.

Are you listening, management?

What amazes me is, if Mr Chesky didn’t want to go public, why didn’t he come to us?

Many of us listed here because of the innovative community culture and Spirit.  we care, we want this to continue, and we’d like more say.  There are many successful employee owned companies, and when there’s personal investment, we work hard to maintain and grow.  So many of us have demonstrated this already working under this Air BnB umbrella with our listings/opening our homes.  

If all of us invested in what we believe in here, we could keep the company private and maybe even have a say in how things roll (have input), in true community spirit.

I’d really love to hear something indicating even tepid interest from the management in our 650 and growing comments in this thread, because right now, it’s feeling and looking like we just lost our value as participants in this endeavor... other than being faceless profit centers, which we could experience elsewhere.

If the competitors buy up enough stock, Air BnB could become like the others, or be put on a shelf to eliminate the competition,  just like many other “unicorns.” (remember Lycos and Myspace?)

Thank you for reading my “rant.”  I’ve shared my thoughts with management otherwise as well.

I hope it makes a difference.