Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229

I've been doing this for five years. And I said basically the same thing you said but we need to start a petition. I've signed many of them and they work! We have overturned many outrageous and ridiculous and foolish things like this that Airbnb has tried to forcibly project on us. Help me to find out how we start one and get it out to the masses here and then present it to Airbnb immediately as fast as we can. No one has agreed to this. These statistics etcetera or just words here in a message that they sent to us our complete lies. Let us as a group let them know immediately that we will not stand for this. That's how it works. I am a guest and travel the world as well as a host and I want my photo shown. Please let me know if you find out how we can do this I am looking around 4 how these people got these petitions started and presented them. There's forums here on Airbnb as well that I'm looking through thank you Jane

Sorry voice to texting. If it's out of place or doesn't make sense I apologize LOL

My first thought is I wouldn’t like the new changes. I like being able to see who’s reaching out. This is my personal home I live in it. I’ll try it briefly just a few times. If I don’t like it I’ll move on from AirBnb. The guests get to see our pictures. I’m new to this only been a host for 10 months I’ve had 24 bookings, I’ve had many different types of people from many different origins. People from Egypt, China, Brazil, Panama, Finland, Guatemala, I’ve had African Americans and Jamaica. Where people come from and what they belief or ideology is makes AirBnb interesting and educational. We should not make changes on presumption but on quality of experience. I think the host pictures should also be removed then, so my long hair and beard don’t show. I’m sure I’d get more guests. Is that what I want. 

Thats just me. 

Richard 

I've been doing this for five years. And I said basically the same thing you said but we need to start a petition. I've signed many of them and they work! We have overturned many outrageous and ridiculous and foolish things like this that Airbnb has tried to forcibly project on us. Help me to find out how we start one and get it out to the masses here and then present it to Airbnb immediately as fast as we can. No one has agreed to this. These statistics etcetera or just words here in a message that they sent to us our complete lies. Let us as a group let them know immediately that we will not stand for this. That's how it works. I am a guest and travel the world as well as a host and I want my photo shown. Please let me know if you find out how we can do this I am looking around 4 how these people got these petitions started and presented them. There's forums here on Airbnb as well that I'm looking through thank you Richard

Sorry voice to texting. If it's out of place or doesn't make sense I apologize LOL

Or, we hosts can just unanimously choose the must have profile photo option.  Preferable a photo of the actual guest.

Patricia403
Level 2
Oceanside, CA

LETS START A PETITION IMMEDIATELY!!

AirBnB FORCING People into your home!

We have been doing this for five years and I've never had any problem booking white people in here, booking black people in here, booking Indian people in here, booking Asian people in here, booking Mexican people in here, booking every single Race Across The Globe.

This is complete tyranny. Airbnb is being squeezed tight by hotels Etc and they are losing money. That's they started the other programs to try and stay above water. This is just another one.

First they try to MAKE you "Instant book" which means you don't give a crud about who comes into your house at all. No questions, no profile picture to match to see if they're rapists or child molesters against the database is in your own communities.

I have gotten fake photos MANY times that have prompted me immediately to contact Airbnb. I have gotten two different names and two to three different photographs I've completely different people and caught people trying to say they were somebody else to come in and party and destroy your house.

I have gotten  many items stolen, and destroyed! Due to the fact did I have not screened people even MORE!!.... Not LESS!!!?! I have gotten my Inversion Table stolen right out of my home!, power tools,  my jacuzzi  handrails bent  and destroyed  outdoor umbrellas  very expensive destroyed!  Indoor and outdoor  home provisions..  Have I  been in an uproar? Have I started position petitions myself?  Have I gone crazy on airbnb's customer service about it?.. No!.. Because  I know that I have been given  proper  means  to screen people both with messaging and photos to see if they were actually real people.. And now.. Airbnb wants to take that away from you.. They're already trying to do it with instant book!.. This is not even crazy. This is completely unacceptable and will not be accepted by us the hosts.

Airbnb better start sticking up for who they started to stick up for in the beginning. Us, the HOST. I travel all over and I use Airbnb as a guest as well. I don't care if somebody sees a picture of my face. If they're not supposed to discriminate that's good. Some might some might not. I'll move on.

But to force me.. Force us to accept a non-person into our home!?!. Yes our HOME!!?!! Airbnb forgets these are OUR HOMES where our children's live, where are animals play, where we live and breathe ~ This is not a hotel! Are they crazy? This is NOT A HOTEL! This is a service we provide. They are just the broker.

Airbnb works for US!.. FOR US!!.. The provider of the service. They are just the broker between the guest and the host. I am both so Airbnb works for me as a guest as well. And as a guest  I WANT  my potential hosts to SEE my picture.. To know that I'm A REAL PERSON BEFORE i book and not be so suspicious of me in any way shape or form . And this is a perfect platform.  The representative profile and profile picture is why I only go with certain Vacation Brokers and have completely abstained from using others that do not use this practice.

Just imagine if some of these social network places like FB and all of them  or Lynked In  used the practice of not having a profile picture!!?!! Especially after using it as a status and basis for people to  use the  networking and the  website. Imagine if you got a friend request or associate request from one of these social networks without a photo?!? And didn't know who the person was??.. How many people just go, "Oh yeah sure let me put you on here too  hack my computer or  cause Mayhem or stalk me.. "And that's just a social network in cyberspace... These are people who we are allowing INTO OUR HOME people!! Property!

So my guests and hosts alike - we ALL know that no one has agreed on this. No one.

This has nothing to do with discrimination this has to do with Airbnb trying to make you book people in here when you don't want to so they can make more money!! This is disregard for your property and you're being. That's the instant book thing. Instant book?! I don't run a 50 room Hotel in Downtown. THIS IS MY HOME ! I also co-host as well and manage the properties through vacation sites for people.. And Airbnb wants me to let somebody that I cannot have a full profile of into the home of somebody who puts their 100% trust in me to screen people to come into their home that they just paid $25,000 in new furnishings and appliances and paint Etc into their home?? That's beyond outrageous. Beyond!.

No one's just going to barge into here without letting me know what their intentions are, who they are, have a clear profile picture so we can match it against the database of child molesters and sex offenders provided for every single city across the United States.

-I hope everyone does that by the way. It's, very quick! And accurate. The police want you to know who is in your neighborhood... Let alone inside your house!?! -

. Because now it's obvious Airbnb does not do a background check on any of these people.

- Again contact me let's start a petition. I've signed many opposing ridiculous requests by Airbnb and we have overturned them. They need to know or they'll just continue to make huge mistakes like this that hurt the hosts.

Sincerely,

someone who is concerned about your home as well as their own.

Tim641
Level 5
Brighton, United Kingdom

Looks like we are all singing from the same hymn sheet.

Make your voice heard! Did you know that Airbnb host guarantee does not cover 3rd party bookings? How are we going to be able to distinguish if a friend, co-worker, manager, agent, boss or simply a fraudulent transaction is happening and someone else is staying in your home instead? If we don’t have a profile picture we won’t be able to tell they are who they say they are.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1640/how-can-i-give-feedback-about-airbnb

Tim641
Level 5
Brighton, United Kingdom

I have just blocked my calendar for the next six months, until Airbnb sort out this unprincipled fiasco. 

Thank you for that great idea!!! We should all be doing that!

Yes, Patricia, I will be willing to sign a petition to stop this irresponsible and ridiculous rule. It is now clear to me that Airbnb has no regard for their Hosts. I am constantly being badgered to sign up for "Instant Book" and I don't want to, mainly because I like to vet out my guests to make sure that they are appropriate for my home. Our homes have to be of high standards, expensive furnishings or tastefully decorated, etc., but now there are no expectations on the guests that will be using our homes and our costly investments. I don't open my front door to strangers that do have a face, why would I let someone stay in my home that I cannot see??

Tim641
Level 5
Brighton, United Kingdom

I couldn't agree more. Well said 

Hi Patricia,

I agree with you. Without hosts airbnb has no business. I, for one have no intention to accept any reservation with out a profile picture nor should I be expected to.  Airbnb has gone too far this time and I am steaming mad. airbnb is reminding me of our politicians...they don't want us to have a voice and they just make the rules as they go without regard for the people. This is my home and airbnb is making an income from me as well. I, the host, should be their first priority. If this new rule is not reversed I will dicontinue to use the room for airbnb and just rent it long term...maybe be a bit less money but a hell of  lot less work and more freedom for me

That's what I plan to do also Patsy. I don't live in a touristy area, so my bookings are now and again and I don't feel the need to be pressured. No photo, no booking, it's that simple. If all the hosts did the same the guests would not be happy if they continuously got declined or cancelled and Airbnb might just get the message.

HAHA, thanks Patricia!

For the rant I was trying to be too polite to post.

I am in NYC and they have just completely outlawed and created a severely hostile campaign against AirBnB. My friend who owns his OWN house, not an apartment, was raided by the Dept of Buildings and assessed $45,000 worth of fines. NOT a peep from AirBnB.

Luckily, where I am now I only needed a permit and a yearly Business License. But this is after someone complained even though I scoured the community website and there was no mention of the need.

Property rights are being eroded in the country at an alarming speed and not far down the road we may all be out of the game. I enjoy it for what it is now, but do not want to put my safety or property at risk for little reward and that was my beginning concern.

Melissa63
Level 3
Portland, OR

I'd love to require guest profile pics. When will this be available??