Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229

Tim,

i dont understand “contact us”, are you speaking in terms of a guest trying to book?

thanks,  amanda

Debbie270
Level 5
Franklin, TN

I’ve called and sent a message in the feedback section, but I never received a reply.  So very disappointing that we are being ignored. I assume that the income we generate for them isn’t enough to make them care, however, I wonder what potential investors would think if they knew how unhappy so many of the Superhosts (the backbone of this company) are about this new policy. The very basis of community and communication is face to face interaction, which for hosts and guests begins with profile pictures. Anyone out there have a contact in the media? Maybe this issue should move beyond this forum if management isn’t listening? I would think that investors are expecting to buy into the Airbnb concept that has made this company so profitable, not what it is becoming: an impersonable chain of corporate owned rentals. Oh! Wait! Isn’t that called a hotel chain? 

Debbie 

Took one listing off the market.  But really will need to relist   There needs to be a national news story to raise awareness and ask the pertinent questions publicly with a call for owners to respond publicly about the direction and intent of such a large company and whatnot means to Josie’s, guests and potential shareholders.

this  happened with Uber a while back and forced some change.

Debbie,

hi I am amanda a host also.

we are being naieve to believe that Airbnb will continue to allow us to “chat” on this platform. Of course all this chat accomplished nothing.

we must take action collectively and  strike.

Wow, Debbie.  Yes, I have a contact.  My daughter has just married a journalist - not really what he usually reports on, but I will forward this forum thread to him.  He's actually more into sports and the NY subway.  Thanks so much for this brilliant idea!!

You are correct Debbie!

can someone contact the media!

I've been spreading the news of this outrageous policy via social media. And every ABB ad that pops up has a comment in bold letters from me. I've written emails and called ABB. Their replies are lip service and I appreciate that they are customer service reps with no power. But, WE ALL NEED TO PROTEST THIS POLICY ON EVERY FRONT. I've also added info in my listing description that due to this non-photo policy I will no longer accept reservations from anyone with fewer than five positive reviews and I require detailed info on the purpose of their trip. I've had plenty of guests that wanted to merely lay by the pool and soak up the sun, and they've been terrific guests . I've also declined reservations from profile pics that clearly looked like sexual deviants. If the best pic you have of yourself is nearly naked and a whip in your hand, you aren't staying with me in my home. If that's discrimanatory, I'll gladly accept the label.

Amanda815
Level 5
Little Falls, NY

Everyone stop talking about this and “protest”.  Black out your listings!

we can’t get Airbnb attention unless we impact their revenue.

Bee-and-Rog0
Level 3
Carno, United Kingdom

I feel that this is a "Fashion" rule, more about political correctness than ensuring a reduction in prejudice. Booking/cancellation statistics should show up those who discriminate. Take action where it is appropriate. Don't make life difficult for all because of a few.

AirBnB, ask Guests if they'd be comfortable making a booking without a photo of the Host/s available! Not many! Stop discriminating in favour of Guests.

We have never, and will never, consciously discriminate on grounds of ethnicity. We would prefer to have a reasonable idea of who we are opening our doors to though. We want to see photos of ALL those coming to stay before a booking is confirmed.

What's next - only Vegan hosts allowed? Or those who recycle?

Update - I've messaged AirBnB directly about this. It is discrimination against Hosts!

2 actions to take: 1) contact AirBnB and complain about discrimination.  2) If AirBnB are intransigent, advise them that you will change your photo to something other than your profile pic and only show your real photo once the guest has booked. After all, this clearly has to work both ways!

I agree with Bee and Rog 100%!  I am a liberal, well rounded Hosts who loves people of all types and that's why I do this!  I have no basis for social discrimination of any kind. But, with that said, I will not allow my family to be unsafe!  This is our home and we have a right to the same opportunity that the guests have.  They are not going to book with an anonymous place and we shouldn't be accepting anonymous requests.  We need to keep this great Platform safe for EVERYONE and not just focus on the guests.  Remember that without us, there would be no guests!  Additionally,  Airbnb needs to recognize that it HAS to be equal for all of us.  I decline every booking request that doesn't book with some profile and a photo now as we feel that its an act of being accountable for themselves.  Our home is also where we live and we rent out a bedroom/ bathroom.  They have to walk throughout our home though and our home is a very nice home that we want to share with others but also want them to respect.  If a person is requesting to share our home with us without disclosing who they are, then we decline them.  It's that simple.  However, Airbnb needs to educate the guests better in their information to the requestors!  I believe that they simply do not understand that we don't want mystery guests in a shared home environment. There is no way for us to do that educating.  That must be done by Airbnb. So Hosts that agree with us, please let Airbnb know this!

@Bee-and-Rog0 wrote:

I feel that this is a "Fashion" rule, more about political correctness than ensuring a reduction in prejudice. Booking/cancellation statistics should show up those who discriminate. Take action where it is appropriate. Don't make life difficult for all because of a few.

AirBnB, ask Guests if they'd be comfortable making a booking without a photo of the Host/s available! Not many! Stop discriminating in favour of Guests.

We have never, and will never, consciously discriminate on grounds of ethnicity. We would prefer to have a reasonable idea of who we are opening our doors to though. We want to see photos of ALL those coming to stay before a booking is confirmed.

What's next - only Vegan hosts allowed? Or those who recycle?

Update - I've messaged AirBnB directly about this. It is discrimination against Hosts!

2 actions to take: 1) contact AirBnB and complain about discrimination.  2) If AirBnB are intransigent, advise them that you will change your photo to something other than your profile pic and only show your real photo once the guest has booked. After all, this clearly has to work both ways!

Scott474
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I have been following the comments for quite some time and have also made comments in general agreement  with all those hosts. I have also been directly in touch with airbnb with these observations but, as all have commented, 'they' remain silent. All airbnb have said that if I should have an issue with this, then get in touch directly with them. Sounds like the usual 'political' roundabout that is so common these days. Just pay nodding acknowledgement to the 'great unwashed' : ) Oh, and yes, without us there wouldn't be them but they are huge and powerful but we ......

Carol302
Level 7
Winchcombe, GB

Airbnb's proposal to no longer require a potential guest to display a photograph is pernicious, unfair to hosts and is merely yet another manipulative attempt to force hosts to adopt the 'instant book' approach. Really and truly this NOTHING to do with racism and this is a very clumsy attempt to disguise this on the part of Airbnb.

1. It is UNFAIR that all hosts must display their photographs whilst potential guests are not required to do this. Maybe I will remove/change mine - certainly I will edit the personal details I have included hitherto.

2. Most accommodation booking processes worldwide require potential guests to provide ID and contact details. ~ Airbnb hosts are expected to accept bookings on the basis of only a FORENAME!!!!! At the very least FAMILY  NAMES/SURNAMES should be required.

3. As hosts of 'reoom only' properties we are inviting strangers into our personal living space. None of us is overy precious about this otherwise we would not contemplate doing it - HOWEVER it is foolhardy to consider making a booking with a person with such scant background information.

4. As we all know Airbnb's cancellation policies TOWARDS HOSTS AT LEAST are punitive so it will be difficult for us to cancel a booking if we see a photograph of someone who looks unsuitable in our opinion having met hundreds of guests and as we know what to look for. So in future I propose to include something along the lines of the following in my initial chats wtih potential guests....

"you may be unaware that Airbnb's new policy is to expect hosts to accept bookings from potential guests without a photograph. Indeed until we accept the booking (and generally by then it is too late for us to do anything about it as the cancellation policies vis-a-vis hosts are punitive) we know nothing about you - where you live, your family name, contact details etc. So I am sure that you will understand that, as you will be sharing my personal living space in a small cottage where, due to its size there is some degree of intimacy (eg a shared bathroom) you will appreciate that I would value some information about you before I accept your booking......."

If potential guests object to this - frankly they are p;robably  not the kind of people I want under my roof  so they will be at liberty to book elsewhere - like a Premier Inn - where, incidentally they WILL have to give MUCH more personal information!!!!!!

NB - This what Airbnb "Help" told me  his afternoon -

"It is your right to accept or deny any Request to book that you get and to decide who you will or won't accommodate in your own home."

However we all know that in practice this will be difficult once we have engaged a potential host in conversation, the clock is ticking and especially after we have accepted a potential guest without a photograph...................

Michael2399
Level 4
Cologne, Germany

Hello everybody,

Unfortunately, Airbnb is not what it used to be years ago: a great idea and a great community thought! Just because Airbnb was so personal and I could choose my guests, I liked it so much. After all, this is about trust and security. I do not want to have every person in my flat. This has absolutely nothing to do with racism or anything like that.

I've been renting since February 2012 and back then everything was pretty cool and so nice .... you should even post your ads from Airbnb on the Craiglist 🙂

You should reject requests, if you did not feel comfortable with the booking. Everything was logical and normal!

I've had a lot of positive experiences, but also a lot of negative ... and unfortunately you do not get any support from Airbnb. You can hardly get to the deposit and only if the guest agrees. But if the guest steals and destroys my parquet floor and I receive only 20 EUR from Airbnb, then I quickly realize who is no longer important on this platform. At least in the eyes of Airbnb. And this is a pity, because the whole thing can only work if we host!

Well, after 8 years I realize very clearly, what has become of Airbnb:
A huge company, which wants to go public this year!
A tech company on an extreme growth course! And that's very important, if you want to be rated as high as possible at the stock market launch. More hosts! More guests! And if possible, many more this year !!!

And of course, meanwhile, I earn good money by letting the apartments here. But I also offer a good performance for it. Not for nothing am I superhost.

Airbnb's start-up team is unlikely to have much to say, because now the money is ruling.
Advisers will keep pushing to grow even faster in order to maximize the return on the stock market. The bosses and the employees get all the stocks, which of course they directly make money and have taken care of.

Everything is a pity! And if I read it correctly, then some landlords do not want to continue this way, only no one has any idea how to fight back. Therefore, I would like to propose the following points:

- Each host should contact Airbnb in writing and report their displeasure with the change via email
- we should start an online petition
- The hosts could vote and shut down on two days (everyone takes their ads offline for 2 days). If possible, this should of course be effective in the media and trigger a reaction at Airbnb. I already have a hashtag 🙂
#AirbnbShutdown

What do you think?
Best regards
Michael

Hi Michael, I am a  comparably new host of 6 months, was 'awarded' 'super host' status which has been removed because I had to refuse just one enquiry due to unusual circumstances. When I replied to that guest explaining the circumstances, he understood and guess what, they have now re-booked. No offence - except to Airbnb. Draconian I call it and as I've made my feeling clear to ABNB. Reading the numerous comments; mostly very pointed and questioning as to the ethics of ABNB, it confirms that big is not always (ever) best?!  But unfortunately, this 'behaviour' is carried right through most companies, from supermarkets, insurance, telecom etc etc etc. These days, let buyers beware ... be awake .... fight their corners otherwise we get shat on. Scott, Devon UK