Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Guest profile photos

Update: January, 2019

A few months ago, we told you about some changes Airbnb was making to the way guest profile photos are displayed. You can read the original post, below.

Now that those changes are being introduced gradually, we want to make sure you have all the information you need. Here’s a recap of what will be changing, along with some tips.

New photo process

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, you’ll receive a guest’s photo after you’ve accepted the booking request. If you have Instant Book turned on, you won’t notice a change to the booking process.

Airbnb does not require guests to have profile photos. Although most guests provide a photo, some have told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking, and we listened.

At the same time, many of you told us that you value guest profile photos, and we listened to you, too. That’s why we’ve introduced a new option for hosts to be able to customize their own booking requirements.

New host control

You now have the option to require that your guests provide a profile photo. Again, the photo will be visible to you only after you accept the booking request. If you’d like to require your guests to provide a profile photo, you’ll need to turn on the control option in your settings for each of your listings, either on mobile or on web. Specifically:

On mobile:

1. Go to the listing you’d like to require profile photos for
  2. Tap Booking settings
  3. Tap Guest requirements
  4. Look for the Profile photo section and tap Edit
  5. Tap Require a profile photo
  6. Tap Save

On web:

1. From your host dashboard, click Listings
  2. Click Booking settings
  3. Next to Guest requirements, click Edit
  4. Check the box next to Profile photo
  5. Click Save

If you take this step and a potential guest doesn’t already have a profile photo, they’ll be prompted to upload one before they can request to book your space. A guest’s profile photo will not be available to you until after you accept the booking request. If the guest doesn’t want to provide a photo, then they won’t be able to book your space. 

Additional support

If you choose to require that your guests have a profile photo and one of your potential guests uploads an image that doesn’t show their face—a photo of a sunset or their dog, for instance—then you can call Airbnb’s Community Support. They’ll work with you to address the issue, and if you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo that shows their face, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free.

As a reminder, Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy prohibits hosts from making booking decisions or canceling reservations based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or marital status. 

As an extra step, as always, you can require guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb in order to be able to book your space. You can read more about that process here.

Why these changes are important

We talked with lots of hosts and guests about profile photos, and we think these changes satisfy the core concerns and feedback we heard. We’ll be paying close attention to how these changes to profile photos affect our community, and will continue working to improve and simplify the process to ensure you feel comfortable hosting. We hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to build a community where everyone can belong. Thank you for hosting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October, 2018

You've been asking a lot about guest profile photos, and Airbnb has been working on new policies to address your concerns. Here is an update from Airbnb:

Today, we’re announcing some changes we will be making to the way we display guest profile photos.

Moving forward, rather than displaying a potential guest’s profile photo before the booking is accepted, hosts will receive a guest’s photo in the booking process only after they’ve accepted the booking request. Airbnb does not require all guests to provide a photo. Instead, we’ll be giving hosts the option to ask their guests to provide a profile photo, which will only be presented to hosts after they accept the booking. We have discussed some of this work in the past and we want you to know more about the changes we will be making in the coming months.

We have participated in a number of conversations with hosts and guests regarding this topic. We have listened to our community, and while most guests provide a photo, some guests told us they don’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking. We also recognize that concerns have been raised about the potential for photos to be misused in a way that violates our nondiscrimination policy.

At the same time, hosts have told us that they value profile photos because they can help hosts and guests get to know one another before a trip begins and help hosts recognize guests when they check in. Additionally, we’ve seen how photos can be a useful tool for enhancing trust and promoting community.

We want to balance these concerns. Airbnb does not require guests to provide a profile photo when booking a listing and, as we discussed earlier this summer with our hosts, we will be implementing a series of changes in the months ahead:

• If a guest chooses to provide a profile photo, that profile photo won’t be displayed to the host as part of the booking process until after the booking is confirmed.
  • Because some hosts value profile photos and want to be able to know who they can expect at their front door, we will give hosts the option to ask that guests provide a profile photo prior to booking, which will only be presented to the host after the host accepts the booking request. This new option comes with important safeguards that are designed to ensure our community is fair and open to everyone:
    • Hosts must turn on this feature for each of their listings proactively, before they receive a reservation request.
    • If a host asks for a profile photo, we’ll prompt guests to upload one to their Airbnb profile before they can request to book that host’s particular listing; however, the photo will not be presented to the host until after the booking is confirmed.

If a host cancels a reservation after they see a guest’s photo, the guest will have an easy way to contact Airbnb and report any concerns about potential discrimination by the host in violation of our nondiscrimination policy and Community Commitment. If any guest believes he or she has been discriminated against and notifies our team, we’ll immediately help them book an alternative listing consistent with our Open Doors Policy, investigate the report, and take appropriate action. Any host who violates our nondiscrimination policy may be permanently banned from using Airbnb.

This announcement follows the commitment we made in 2016 to evaluate how we display guest profile photos in the booking process. As we implement these changes in the coming months, we hope you’ll share your feedback with us so we can continue to make thoughtful changes that make the Airbnb community a place where everyone can belong.

1,229 Replies 1,229
Sue431
Level 2
Mount Martha, Australia

I am very concerned about the new ruling about the use of profile photos of a guest making  a booking, which cannot be displayed until a booking is confirmed. In the past week I have had two guests making an enquiry and I have felt very uneasy about their booking, as I have no idea at all what they look like. I believe I have the right to have a clear profile and photo of anyone wishing to stay in my home before I accept a booking.

What difference does it make at what stage the host sees the profile photo? Why, ONLY after a booking is confirmed? How is this process protecting the guest? Why can’t I require all guests to provide a photo instead of having to request one each time a guest books? I wonder how much this is about Airbnb attempting to circumnavigate the instant booking process, which may inhibit Airbnb being assured of a booking and therefore, income. I get the impression Airbnb are concerned about the cut made on a booking and not whether a guest is the right fit for a particular property.

If I confirm a booking and do not like the look of the guest and they have no reviews and they look to be the incorrect fit for my home, I will not hesitate to decline the booking, no matter what the ramifications from Airbnb might be. This is my home and I will set the rules about who I accept.

In the past I have declined bookings after looking at profile photos and reading the reasons for making a booking. If I had not been able to look at the photo, my decision making would have been much more difficult. I am very particular about who I will allow into my home and a profile photo can give an idea of the type of guest they might be. I don’t care about race, colour, gender orientation, religion or anything else. I ONLY care that my home is enjoyed by guests who respect my house rules and is not abused and destroyed by them. It is also very important that my neighbours are happy. Local Government in my area has expressed concerns about properties on Airbnb, zoned as residential being used as wedding and party venues, often without the consent of the owners. The residential amenity of a neighbourhood will be increasingly protected by Local Government. This may lead to a reduction of accommodation houses available. This indicates I need to protect my standing with Local Government, as well as Airbnb.

If I walk into a hotel or motel and make a booking, the receptionist can look at me and make a judgement about whether they will accept the booking. If they don’t like the look of me, can say they are fully booked. I understand they are in the same position as me with online bookings. The difference is, I do not have security personnel on my property in the event that things go pear shaped, as a hotel or motel do.

I know friends whose property has been destroyed by Airbnb guests having a party. The guests were very young and a profile photo would have revealed.

I am an Airbnb Superhost.

There are multitudes of us who agree @Sue0, and there are multitudes of independent superhosts moving to other platforms not only for more services for the same booking fees, but because they're also making more per night, including respected, long-term superhosts who've contributed to this community for years.

Airbnb is shooting itself not just in the foot, but in the heart with all of these "trust and safety" violations against hosts.

Many of us are hoping that some tech savvy entrepreneur will see an opportunity to create a new platform that speaks to those who were attracted to the former personal grass-roots philosophy that , along with our energy, effort, and dedication, made airbnb's CEO's billionnaires...and now they won't even maintain basic industry standards?

I shared all of this with my attorney who told me to jump this ship asap because if anything goes wrong, WE could lose everything, and airbnb can just walk away.

Utter horse s*%$t!

Greg407
Level 2
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi

I am a home owner and super host (!!!!!!!!!) and I love the oportunity to share a beautiful $500,000 bach with others.

And I am now not allowed to see who wants to stay ???

Extremely disappointed Abnb.

Hmmm. Not impressed

Henri16
Level 4
Montreal, Canada

Wow Airbnb you did it again

I just read a lot of the comments and in general I agree with most of them. Actually I give those comments a 5 Star approval and a 98 % agree with ratio, which incidentally is my own rating from my Guests. 

I am a Super-host, for what ever that means, cause in Airbnbs ratings it is because I had 10 rentals in a row in a certain period of time. It has nothing to do with the quality of service or comments or reviews I receive but rather means “Hey he kept up with, and made us money by renting it out quite steadily lets give him a batch”

I have been a host since at least 2011 and also used AIRBNB when traveling.

I could have been a Super-host more often but I do vet my Guests

And one of my Tools is on how complete their Profile is and how they Introduce them selves and Interact with me. And yes a Picture does help to establish trust. (By the way that way I have accepted a lot of first timers who had no reviews and who left with an positive experience and review all based on their initial interaction with me)

I had something written up but which turned out long and basically has already been voiced by the many other Hosts and I strongly support their points of view by adding my thumbs up.

So before I just go on babbling on how I disagree with that new policy maybe just an easy solution

Give me as a host, the opportunity to only accept Guests who are willing to give me a real introduction and a Profile with a picture, and have reasonably good reviews, ( Something like when an anonymous guest wants to rent with me, he will get a notice which  says sorry only Guests with Picture and complete profile need to contact, Make the ones who have nothing to hide a SUPER GUEST maybe even send them suggestions on the quality homes they could rent if they had a complete meaningfull profile) and then Airbnb, why don’t you start telling all those guests, who have no descriptive profile, or a picture or never give reviews, the same way as you continuously contact us Hosts, who do not subscribe to instant booking , or who do not reduce their prices when you tell us too or when we do not follow your other suggestion, and then hassle them with the same algorithm where you delegate us to the bottom of any search results. 

Maybe then those Guests who have nothing to hide who see this as what is is supposed to be a community service and experience where trust and respect starts from the moment you book,

will agree to be responsive and will be welcomend into my home, cause they made an effort which matches mine and we can start enjoying quality stays with quality Guests received by quality Hosts.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Thank you again for your comments here. As mentioned earlier in this discussion, Airbnb has been reviewing your feedback closely, and have come back to you. To make it easier for you and other community members to find, you can see their response here

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Airbnb does not even have the comom sense to make this no guest photo policy.  It will only cause much more rejections and hence more dissatisfaction and inconvience by guests.  It may help other host platforms like HomeAway which claims that everything is more flexible.  Ask yourself, would you allow anybody live in your home without even seeing a profile photo? 

Megan398
Level 2
Arcata, CA

It seems that with this un-called for Profile Photo Block is bringing up all sorts of odd booking requests to us lately. 

Want to film there

"Pro" Photoshoots/ trade for credit

just visiting for afternoon don't want to pay full price

can I have your phone number and we can meet up before I book...(ah NO!) ect...

In my 5 years of Hosting, I have NEVER had so many odd, rare or just plain shady requests.

All of these have been just this week!

I can't help that feel as Guests now know we are blind to them, that they can simply book regardless! Not to say all Guests feel this way, but those who are dishonest can find a weak spot (as this is) and pounce! This is BAD Business, and simply UNSAFE, UNFAIR and UNECESSARY. 

Being able to review a Profile before accepting a Guest into our Home is common sense as well as building trust. The crying desdiscrimination card is simply a cop-out. I have never turned down a booking due to race, ect...

I have tured down bookings due to scammers, house thieves, drug crews, trim fests ect. Being able to see an image of a Guest (just as they can see ours) was a much better way to weed out the potential dangers. For example a profile photo not matching with Guests information and such. While not perfect, would like to see more Host tools for us (not less), it was something. 

I consider each request with a fair and open mind. Now being blind to  Profiles, I am worried with every booking request. Not to mention the amount of thought, and extra time that now goes into the vetting process. 

If Airbnb is trying to boost the booking percentage numbers, this is NOT they way to do it.

-PLEASE REMOVE THE PHOTO PRE-BOOK BLOCK-

Zelia3
Level 4
Woughton on the Green, United Kingdom

you are ABSOLUTLY right That hapen to me too.

I am so chock about the new Airbnb that I add in the tittle and description this:

" Airbnb New policy will hide pic of our guest before resevation be confirm. We will NOT accepte reservation before seeing a picture of the guest as we wish feel confortable with people staying in our family house. 
Add a picture to the request. Thank you ."

If guest or Airbnb, do not want us, Host to feel confortable in their own home, guest are free to book in an hotel.... Hotel don't ask for Photos! But it is more expensif!

Helen247
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

I totally agree on the need to see the photo of who will be staying in my house 

Zelia3
Level 4
Woughton on the Green, United Kingdom

I am so chock about the new Airbnb that I add in the tittle and description this:

" Airbnb New policy will hide pic of our guest before resevation be confirm. We will NOT accepte reservation before seeing a picture of the guest as we wish feel confortable with people staying in our family house. 
Add a picture to the request. Thank you ."

If guest or Airbnb, do not want us, Host to feel confortable in their own home, guest are free to book in an hotel.... Hotel don't ask for Photos! But it is more expensif!

David-Erik0
Level 6
Berlin, DE

When I've registered, AirBnB was open to anykind of host, private and business. 

If I rent as a business, I really do not care about the photo of the guest before confirming the book and the main reasons are:

- I'm a business, it's all about money
- I'm not renting in my own house, so there will not be my things in the house

But as a private person, hell if I would like too see the photo of the guest before accept, I've had some guests in the past that used pictures of them while they were completely stoned. 
No problem with that, I get high too sometime, but why should I take the risk in my own house? After all, is still my own house, not AirBnB house!!

This decision point out how much you AirBnB, do not care at all about the fact that you have private and business hosts and walk side by side with art. 10.1:

"[...]Ratings and Reviews are not verified by Airbnb for accuracy and may be incorrect or misleading.[...]"

which underline how much dishonest, hypocritical, and creepy is your quality management, admintting that ratings can be incorrect and misleading but use them anyway in the host KPIs with the risk to penalize hosts that didn't do anything wrong and without force guests to leave a reason of the ratings, so in case of bad rating, hosts can't understand what they could do to improve if any. 

Courtney-and-Bryan0
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

I want it to be known that I am dismayed that you have further reduced our ability to choose safe and appropriate guests for OUR home. Why is it we cannot see their profile and they can see ours!!?? If your argument is discrimination then surely this would apply in both directions!? I also find it disgusting that you penalize us for not putting on instant book by reducing our access to security features. What gives you the right to limit our ability to choose who stays in our homes without offering the same protection to us! Why are we the enemy? Honestly each time you add to this list of biases against the host I google "alternatives to Airbnb" I know alot of other hosts who feel the same and some who have already left. I fear it wont be long now, a pity.... Airbnb a good idea gone bad?

Well it’s time for someone to start a new home share app that goes back to the origins of AIRBNB philosophy and market it that way as an alternative 

I'd love to hear about it!

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

As @Lizzie says above, the management seem to have commented, so you need to go here to read and reply.

I've also posted about some legal aspects of all of this that are worth considering.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Guest-profile-photos-Airbnb-response-to-community...