Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

You asked: Can Airbnb offer hosts more flexibility and options to set our pricing?

Leading up to the last Host Q&A, you asked for more flexibility with your pricing options. We went straight to the team that plans and builds these tools to see what’s on the horizon. What we learned was surprising. It turns out we’ve built solutions for much of what you’re asking for, but lots of hosts don’t know about or use the pricing settings available. We also found out that sometimes offering certain types of discounts harms rather than helps your business. Intrigued? We were too.

To make sure you have the latest insights on pricing, let’s take a look at what your options are and how your feedback influences what we build.

Current pricing options

You specifically asked for the ability to set different prices according to a guest’s length of stay, or based on the days of the week (for example, charging a different price for middle of the week vs. weekend stays). We actually have tools that help you do both! You can offer a discount for stays longer than a week or a month, and you can set up custom weekend pricing.

You also asked about charging guests based on the number of beds they use, rather than the number of guests staying in the listing. While we understand that more beds used means more linens to clean, it’s sometimes difficult for guests to anticipate how many beds they’ll use at the time of booking. For example, not every listing describes if beds are queen sized or double, how many sleeper sofas there are, or how the beds are arranged in a room. Some guests may want to see the place before deciding if they’ll share a double bed with a friend or sleep on the pull-out couch. However, guests can accurately and confidently say how many people will be staying, and you can charge an extra guest fee to account for that. If the cost of cleaning and check-in for shorter stays is a concern, you can add cleaning fees to offset those costs.

How host feedback is shaping our work

Your feedback shows us where things aren’t working for you, and where we can do better. Based on what you’ve told us, we’re focusing our efforts on making every tool more accessible and intuitive. And we’re helping hosts understand how pricing tools work together, which rules take priority when multiple rules overlap, and how to use the tools you have for maximum benefit to you.

When it comes to building new pricing tools, we try to account for a multitude of host preferences while keeping things simple enough for guests to still want to book your space with Airbnb. To do this, we solicit host feedback, test new ideas, and notice what happens to bookings when we add new options.

Here’s a little insight into how we test and pass along our learnings to you: Sometimes we can anticipate reliable opportunities to boost your earnings. For example, you may have seen insight messages on your calendar and emails highlighting discount opportunities for specific dates that would otherwise go unbooked. When you apply these discounts, we highlight to travelers the value you’re offering and that attracts bookings.

Alternatively, sometimes we find that less is more—like in a recent test in which hosts added discounts for 3-6 night stays in areas we noticed travelers were searching for accommodation, and it turned out the guests who booked those discounted spaces would likely have booked the listing at the regular price for the same duration. It’s these types of insights that we pass along to you in how we build and what we recommend.

You always have control over the price you set for your space. And we’re committed to sharing what we learn about pricing best practices. We’re excited that Airbnb offers competitive pricing flexibility for you, a simple booking experience for your guests, and the promise that we’ll continue to listen to your ideas about how to make pricing even better.

In the latest Host Q&A, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky answered top-voted questions during a livestream event. For questions he didn’t have time to address, we’ve introduced Airbnb Answers. Want to ask more? We’ll let you know in Airbnb Updates when the question platform will open for the upcoming June 27th Host Q&A.

291 Replies 291
Carl79
Level 3
Cambridge, United Kingdom

I'd like airbnb to put a direct link to my calendar with every question or booking request i get, instead of hiding it, i'd like them to stop removing the option of 'other' whern i give a reason for declining a request ~(which is often when somebody keeps making booking requests to ask questions instead of just contacting me to ask a question, i'd like them to stop forcing me to describe my mobile home/caravan/trailer home from a drop down list that doesnt include mobile homes/caravans/trailer homes on it (but does have 'cave 'ffs), i'd like them to stop hiding my listing behind hosts that do agree to allow instant booking (as i wont surrender quality control of my holiday home - therefore no instant booking ), i want them to require proof of ownwership from potential hosts to end the plague of rogue hosts subletting, and i think if they really want to 'spread the love' they should lower their fees, to hosts and guests, and provide an end of tax year summary, for hosts and the inland revenue, so that the government  can collect the correct money due. Let the government spread the love. They are much better at it. 

Apart from that its all tickety-boo.

Amos12
Level 1
Harare, Zimbabwe

Can you please assist and make it simpler for us to be able to charge per room beacause us we have 20 bedrooms and we have four catigories of room types namely : 1.Budget room US30/35 none ensuites, 2.Standard rooms US40 which are ensuites, Executive rooms 50/60 and Family rooms US70 which are ensuites with various different amenities ie: own DSTV decorder,fridge, and rest are standard. these rates are per night.( You find guests booking for 16 people asking to pay US30 per night) this is the reason why we get a lot of cancillations or not getting bookings at all.

Gabriel323
Level 1
Bucharest, Romania

1. There is absolutely the need to set a certain price for only one night stays or a certain cleaning fee for the same trip length.

~ For one night stays the price should be higher than for 2 nights or more which should be able to be set lower.

~ In the same case the cleaning fee should be able to be set independetly from the bookings for 2 nights or more.

2. Again there is a must to implement the option to display various discounts directly on the listing so that the booker may see and choose accordingly.

3. Another must is to be able to access a statistics calculation within specific areas to figure out why the sales have dropped in certain periods.

You will be hugely appreciated whether you'll make at least 50% of these suggested improvements.

I look forward to seeing these changes happening.

Cheers

Pet Fees- There needs to be an option for guests to add a pet to the Reservation and the added fee is included and collected by Airbnb. 

Carla443
Level 2
Milford, PA

I would like see additional pricing options that include things like community registration fees to use the amenities or pet fees.

Carolyn221
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

What about a pet fee? I open my room to guests with 4 legs too, but wonder if there’s an option for increasing the cleaning fee slightly when they do. 

Pamela365
Level 1
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

I would love it if the cleaning fee could be set up as a weekly thing, at the moment i have it for 5 dollars which is fine with me for up two 14 days max, but for long term stays i need the cleaning fee to be weekly since i cant only charge 5 dollars for a 2 months stay for example! would love if this was an option. 

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

The original post, seems to provide virtually nothing more.  Why do Airbnb think that Hosts have time to waste reading stuff that is no different to what they already offer.  How about fixing the bugs, how about improving the customer service they offer - which get a 0* from me!

I get reduce your price messages all the time and I take no notice.  I simply don't believe Airbnb.  Who lets out their room for £6 per night!  It's Airbnb being economical with the truth and profitering on the backs of hard working hosts

Trish99
Level 2
Black Mountain, NC

I would like to charge a fee if people bring a dog. Could we add a feature for this extra fee?

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

You can do this already

Marsha51
Level 1
Salem, SC

I love that I can allow guests to bring their pets but there is still no place to charge extra for pets. PET FEE!! Please address this problem, it takes longer to clean up after pets. Thanks

Erin261
Level 1
Charlotte, NC

There is an option for pets to be welcomed into the home. I would love to see an option to charge them extra for the pet staying. 

Edward183
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

It would be very helpful if I can set the price as related to how many days out from today their stay will commnece.   In addition, I need to also set them as days away from a given day (like January 1st)   Currently I have to do this all by hand & keep adjusting them.  You could have 2 simple linear equations that we can adjust the crititcal day & slope of, as well asn an amplitude setting that would be zero for anyone not interested in this option.  Critical day would have the option to be preogressing or fixed.   This shouldn't take more than a 1/2 day of a programer's time & it would certainly help me out.   

Thank you

Rhonda86
Level 2
Greenport, NY

to the point of not being able to charge per bed- i disagree with AIRBNB's conclusion.  guests absolutlely know who they will be sleeping with!  i have 2 bedrooms with 1 bed each, that i do not list independantly because of the shared bathroom situation (i am an owner occupied listing).   

i have written in my description that if 2 people wish to use both bedrooms to book for 3 guests.  that usually works, but not always.   incorporating "how many beds would you like to book" will be an awesome addition and alleviate misunderstandings.  thanks!

Mark866
Level 2
Bartlett, NH

Huma is right!

Airbnb needs to compare others sites and pricing in your area to check pricing in area, to be competitive for seasonal and off season for set pricing, so we can make best profits for hosting!