Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

You asked: Can Airbnb offer hosts more flexibility and options to set our pricing?

Leading up to the last Host Q&A, you asked for more flexibility with your pricing options. We went straight to the team that plans and builds these tools to see what’s on the horizon. What we learned was surprising. It turns out we’ve built solutions for much of what you’re asking for, but lots of hosts don’t know about or use the pricing settings available. We also found out that sometimes offering certain types of discounts harms rather than helps your business. Intrigued? We were too.

To make sure you have the latest insights on pricing, let’s take a look at what your options are and how your feedback influences what we build.

Current pricing options

You specifically asked for the ability to set different prices according to a guest’s length of stay, or based on the days of the week (for example, charging a different price for middle of the week vs. weekend stays). We actually have tools that help you do both! You can offer a discount for stays longer than a week or a month, and you can set up custom weekend pricing.

You also asked about charging guests based on the number of beds they use, rather than the number of guests staying in the listing. While we understand that more beds used means more linens to clean, it’s sometimes difficult for guests to anticipate how many beds they’ll use at the time of booking. For example, not every listing describes if beds are queen sized or double, how many sleeper sofas there are, or how the beds are arranged in a room. Some guests may want to see the place before deciding if they’ll share a double bed with a friend or sleep on the pull-out couch. However, guests can accurately and confidently say how many people will be staying, and you can charge an extra guest fee to account for that. If the cost of cleaning and check-in for shorter stays is a concern, you can add cleaning fees to offset those costs.

How host feedback is shaping our work

Your feedback shows us where things aren’t working for you, and where we can do better. Based on what you’ve told us, we’re focusing our efforts on making every tool more accessible and intuitive. And we’re helping hosts understand how pricing tools work together, which rules take priority when multiple rules overlap, and how to use the tools you have for maximum benefit to you.

When it comes to building new pricing tools, we try to account for a multitude of host preferences while keeping things simple enough for guests to still want to book your space with Airbnb. To do this, we solicit host feedback, test new ideas, and notice what happens to bookings when we add new options.

Here’s a little insight into how we test and pass along our learnings to you: Sometimes we can anticipate reliable opportunities to boost your earnings. For example, you may have seen insight messages on your calendar and emails highlighting discount opportunities for specific dates that would otherwise go unbooked. When you apply these discounts, we highlight to travelers the value you’re offering and that attracts bookings.

Alternatively, sometimes we find that less is more—like in a recent test in which hosts added discounts for 3-6 night stays in areas we noticed travelers were searching for accommodation, and it turned out the guests who booked those discounted spaces would likely have booked the listing at the regular price for the same duration. It’s these types of insights that we pass along to you in how we build and what we recommend.

You always have control over the price you set for your space. And we’re committed to sharing what we learn about pricing best practices. We’re excited that Airbnb offers competitive pricing flexibility for you, a simple booking experience for your guests, and the promise that we’ll continue to listen to your ideas about how to make pricing even better.

In the latest Host Q&A, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky answered top-voted questions during a livestream event. For questions he didn’t have time to address, we’ve introduced Airbnb Answers. Want to ask more? We’ll let you know in Airbnb Updates when the question platform will open for the upcoming June 27th Host Q&A.

291 Replies 291
Trudy29
Level 2
Vernon, Canada

" I would love to be able to set different minimum prices for different months so that I can ensure my prices reflect seasonal demand." - previous request.

I support this request. Where I live, summer months are high demand and lots of people don't book until it is upon them. Letting them book at discounted prices in March / April as an example, when prices are low does not reflect where the prices should be and will be in the summer high demand months. Some discount for booking early is great but there is too much of a difference between the low season discounted rates and the high season prices.

I want variable minumun night stays. For example I have a one night minimum stay and instant booking but over NYE I want to have a minimum of 4 nights. Easter us another time of the year the  I want to have a minimum 4 night stay. Can you please look at allowing us this flexibility. Catherine 

Susan943
Level 1
Brookline, MA

For those of us who rent seasonally, there are holiday weekends that could command higher prices.  Memorial Day weekend, for example.  There is no way to raise the price for that weekend only on Friday- Sunday nights.    Please advise.  Thank you.  Susie

Jeff201
Level 2
Savannah, GA

I don't mind setting my own prices as it is. I would like to know how we can stop getting the emials and mesages in the side bar asking me to lower my prices to something that would make me lose money. For instance, I get messgaes saying that "guests are looking at my place but instead chose places up to $50 less per night instead". Now, my price is already at a breaking point where I would only make a marginal profit, and lowering it $50 would make me lose money after fees and cleaning, etc. I understand that "every booking makes Airbnb money", but not every booking makes me money. Is there a way to stop theese emails which are not supportive and positive messages to my business?

Joanna207
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Aloha from Kona Hawaii- I would like to be able to itemize the breakdown of fees more effectively when reflecting the nightly rate. For example, I can itemize seperately the cleaning fee, however, I am not able to itemize the Transient Tax fees. At this point I roll the nightly fee together with the taxes. I would potentialy be able to post a lower nightly fee in the Posting if I didn't have to absorve the taxes in the overall price. I am able to do this on other Host sites. The fee is 13.5% in Hawaii so it makes my rates a little on the topside when guests are searching for a certain price range. Any Ideas? Could we break things down better in Hawaii postings? Thanks so much

Fernando537
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

I think hosts really need guests to automatically place a credit card on file that allows hosts to charge  up to $500 for any damage or taken items. All guest should check off the disclaimer box when making the reservation. I think the deposit option available now scares guests from booking because it appears as a very large total when booking. 

Marni9
Level 1
West Kelowna, Canada

If I set my price higher for the 2 day increments that I have available on my calendar, and then lower my minimum number stay to two days, then someone can still go and book two days somewhere else on my calendar that is marked at a lower price  due to the fact that there are 4 or 5 days open in a row. I would like the price to be able to fluctuate based on number of nights booked. 

Anne-and-Darrin0
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

As muncipalities start to bow to the pressures of hotel lobbyists (and they are usually in favour of more taxes anyway) how would this be handled by Airbnb. If every Airbnb in a given city is paying a new tax on their rental, will Airbnb collect or will that be up to the hosts? For myself, I would like to see Airbnb collect these taxes, so that

a) it levels the playing field - everyone is actually paying what they owe

b) the guests will know that an increase in nightly costs are due to the government's greed, not the host's

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/alberta-hoteliers-renew-calls-for-airbnb-tax-crackdown

Noel65
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I don't like the fact that you can either accept future bookings for 3 months (or longer) or not at all. This isn't cool. There should be the option for 1 month and 2 months in the future also. This is especially important as one approaches the busy season where one needs to carefully manage pricing. 

Also it would be good to be able to set one's minimum price by month instead of as a single fee. That way you can have pricing vary according to seasonal demand without having to micro-manage it or to rely on the flaky Smart-pricing option. 

P.S. I hate Smart-pricing. Thanks to Smart-pricing and the 3 month minimum problem explained above (plus instabook being turned on), my property was claimed for 3 months at a fraction of it's high-season value by some lucky person last December. I was most unhappy about that.

Kristen4
Level 2
Kirkland, WA

Notifications:

Tanya brings up an excellent point about notifications. This would not make the platform any messier for the collective. This simply would be a focused functionality for hosts and guests to have transparency about if communication is truly happening, or not.

Check In Instructions with Photos:

The check in instructions with the step-by-step photos is a wonderful tool addition for both guests and hosts. I would love to see this front and center for a guest and to make it as obvious as possible for them to use. For it to be highly encouraged and so we know when each guest has checked in and so that guests utilize this tool to aid their smooth and proper check in.

I think many guests don't even know it's there, assuming the host has filled it out and made it available to guests.

Cleaning Fee:

It's my understanding that the cleaning fee is a static variable. So when you say in newsletter to use it to offset shorter stays, I don't see how this relates to your topic's solution.

I don't see the cleaning fee being a variable that can be dependent / quantified by the amount of days or weeks of a guest stay. 

Examples of what I don't think is possible:

$ 20 cleanining fee for 1 - 3 night stay.

$50 for 4 - 7 night stay.

$100 for month or more long stay.

Either you have a cleaning fee or you don't, is my understanding. 

E.g. $25 cleaning fee per stay.

In the context of your newsletter, am I missing something you may have changed about the cleaning fee?

Hi there! Wish I could get away with a $20 cleaning fee. I ave a teo bedroom fully furnished right down to the linens and Q-tips for their ears, and a fully stocked kitchen. there is NO way I could make it on $25! I include the cleaning fee ($50) in my rate .

While I do apprciate your smartpricing system, I am having problem setting my price per room or bed. Recently I was a victim of that where book for three individuals/group, they occupied three different rooms and their charge was for one per.

Please assit me in charging per bed or room.

Thanks

Michael1798
Level 2
United States

I would like to see hosts have the ability to change the pricing for additional guests for special events in the area, just like you can change the minimum pricing for specific days,

Wendy401
Level 1
Mendocino, CA

You still seem to be resisting offering fields to charge a pet fee and add locally required taxes.

This creates endless problems with people who don't read the booking requirements. Some simply refuse to pay the taxes.  You're putting us in a position of breaking local laws.

YAY! Someone else who wants a slot for pet fees! I have to send through a change/alter a Reservation Email in order to get my Pet fee, $30, per Pet, per stay. As most places here charge that much PER DAY, I would at least like to be able to collect what I am asking without a huge hassle. Susan