Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

You asked: Can Airbnb offer hosts more flexibility and options to set our pricing?

Leading up to the last Host Q&A, you asked for more flexibility with your pricing options. We went straight to the team that plans and builds these tools to see what’s on the horizon. What we learned was surprising. It turns out we’ve built solutions for much of what you’re asking for, but lots of hosts don’t know about or use the pricing settings available. We also found out that sometimes offering certain types of discounts harms rather than helps your business. Intrigued? We were too.

To make sure you have the latest insights on pricing, let’s take a look at what your options are and how your feedback influences what we build.

Current pricing options

You specifically asked for the ability to set different prices according to a guest’s length of stay, or based on the days of the week (for example, charging a different price for middle of the week vs. weekend stays). We actually have tools that help you do both! You can offer a discount for stays longer than a week or a month, and you can set up custom weekend pricing.

You also asked about charging guests based on the number of beds they use, rather than the number of guests staying in the listing. While we understand that more beds used means more linens to clean, it’s sometimes difficult for guests to anticipate how many beds they’ll use at the time of booking. For example, not every listing describes if beds are queen sized or double, how many sleeper sofas there are, or how the beds are arranged in a room. Some guests may want to see the place before deciding if they’ll share a double bed with a friend or sleep on the pull-out couch. However, guests can accurately and confidently say how many people will be staying, and you can charge an extra guest fee to account for that. If the cost of cleaning and check-in for shorter stays is a concern, you can add cleaning fees to offset those costs.

How host feedback is shaping our work

Your feedback shows us where things aren’t working for you, and where we can do better. Based on what you’ve told us, we’re focusing our efforts on making every tool more accessible and intuitive. And we’re helping hosts understand how pricing tools work together, which rules take priority when multiple rules overlap, and how to use the tools you have for maximum benefit to you.

When it comes to building new pricing tools, we try to account for a multitude of host preferences while keeping things simple enough for guests to still want to book your space with Airbnb. To do this, we solicit host feedback, test new ideas, and notice what happens to bookings when we add new options.

Here’s a little insight into how we test and pass along our learnings to you: Sometimes we can anticipate reliable opportunities to boost your earnings. For example, you may have seen insight messages on your calendar and emails highlighting discount opportunities for specific dates that would otherwise go unbooked. When you apply these discounts, we highlight to travelers the value you’re offering and that attracts bookings.

Alternatively, sometimes we find that less is more—like in a recent test in which hosts added discounts for 3-6 night stays in areas we noticed travelers were searching for accommodation, and it turned out the guests who booked those discounted spaces would likely have booked the listing at the regular price for the same duration. It’s these types of insights that we pass along to you in how we build and what we recommend.

You always have control over the price you set for your space. And we’re committed to sharing what we learn about pricing best practices. We’re excited that Airbnb offers competitive pricing flexibility for you, a simple booking experience for your guests, and the promise that we’ll continue to listen to your ideas about how to make pricing even better.

In the latest Host Q&A, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky answered top-voted questions during a livestream event. For questions he didn’t have time to address, we’ve introduced Airbnb Answers. Want to ask more? We’ll let you know in Airbnb Updates when the question platform will open for the upcoming June 27th Host Q&A.

291 Replies 291
Tracy94
Level 2
Kelly Bray, United Kingdom

Another thing, please put in the filter section an area/location search for Seaside and Rural

Laurie210
Level 2
Healdsburg, CA

I would like a setting that does not allow guests to check in or check out on a Sat.  As I have a 2 night min., when a guest checks out or in on a Sat., frequently that one Sat. or Fri. night is left unbooked and i lose money as I charge more for weekends days than weekdays.

Stephen331
Level 2
Blackstone Heights, Australia

When a guest asks for an extension, I am not able to tell them the final amount due to the fees Airbnb adds to the calculation. The amount I see is the amount I earn, not what the guest will pay. Is there any way to calculate the final figure a guest sees when requesting an extension. Apologies if this was already covered, it's a long thread.

At the moment we can only vary the cost of the first person and have to fix the rate for the additional guests. We would like to vary the price for the additional guests (guest 2,3,&4) on a daily basis in the calendar. We are a bed and breakfast establishment which includes the cost of breakfast - not a self-catering one. Smart pricing is always telling us to lower our rates so is of little use to us. 

The pricing tools work pretty well, The Major Flaw and I mean Major!!!!!!! is not being able to set a percentage to collect for local occupancy taxes. You guys need to add a feild like other sites do to be able to collect occupancy taxes.

our taxes are taken out by them!

Rick-And-Nancy0
Level 2
Burlington, Canada

Could there be a option to block single night stays that are over 4 weeks out? I prefer longer term bookings and would consider 1 day stays between bookings and closer to the date if it is still available. Declining those requests is apparantly not good for my ratings and it doesn't look good for AIRBNB plus it is time consuming.

Steven65
Level 10
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Drop smart pricing all together. It doesnt work! Hosts know their value, local supply and demand, seasonal values and their competition better than anyone else.

You don't have to use it.

Lydia94
Level 10
Cleveland, OH

Hi Steven, Your advise is the best advise on this threat. I never used smart pricing, because as a host I know my expexenses. This is a business, small or large the principals of business are the same. Every host know to calculate and come up with a fair price. Nobody overcharge for there services, but if you undercharge to beat the competition, than you start crying and nickel and dime your guests. Charge a fair price and if there is something small extra, be generes. Airbnb need to stay out of our money.

Ciao Lydia

If you know that you don't need to use it, what difference does it make that they offer it? Also, I don't actually know what they are listing my place for, only what I am setting it at so is difficult to gauge necessarily.

how does the pricing for the knight works, i have a 200€ per night on my house, but the ad on the site says 290€, why is that happening?

Eileen12
Level 3
Grass Valley, CA

I would like to be able to charge a pet fee at the time of the reservation. Right now I have to request money separately which is a total hasle. All airbnb needs to do is add a box to the special fees section. Seems easy. I can't believe it hasn't happed yet.

Eileen

John28
Level 6
Honolulu, HI

Please tell me what a Friday and Saturday night at my home four miles from the fifth largest outdoor stadium in the country, which holds close to 100,000 people, which is double the population of the city.  So, now with that in mine, also remember that every home game is sold out, and hotel rooms are booked a year in advance before the games are even announced.  OKay, now imagine that after four of five games we are ranked Number one in the Country and we are set to play now the #3 team in the country!  The biggest game of the season so far, not only wil the staidium be filled to capaity, but people will come into town just to be here.  So, how much do you think I should charge for a night at my two thousand square feet condo that can easily sleep 8 to 10 comforbably and its no shack?  Take a guess? 

I think you know your area best and can set the fee you think is right.