Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Pricing tools that drive host success

You asked: Can Airbnb offer hosts more flexibility and options to set our pricing?

Leading up to the last Host Q&A, you asked for more flexibility with your pricing options. We went straight to the team that plans and builds these tools to see what’s on the horizon. What we learned was surprising. It turns out we’ve built solutions for much of what you’re asking for, but lots of hosts don’t know about or use the pricing settings available. We also found out that sometimes offering certain types of discounts harms rather than helps your business. Intrigued? We were too.

To make sure you have the latest insights on pricing, let’s take a look at what your options are and how your feedback influences what we build.

Current pricing options

You specifically asked for the ability to set different prices according to a guest’s length of stay, or based on the days of the week (for example, charging a different price for middle of the week vs. weekend stays). We actually have tools that help you do both! You can offer a discount for stays longer than a week or a month, and you can set up custom weekend pricing.

You also asked about charging guests based on the number of beds they use, rather than the number of guests staying in the listing. While we understand that more beds used means more linens to clean, it’s sometimes difficult for guests to anticipate how many beds they’ll use at the time of booking. For example, not every listing describes if beds are queen sized or double, how many sleeper sofas there are, or how the beds are arranged in a room. Some guests may want to see the place before deciding if they’ll share a double bed with a friend or sleep on the pull-out couch. However, guests can accurately and confidently say how many people will be staying, and you can charge an extra guest fee to account for that. If the cost of cleaning and check-in for shorter stays is a concern, you can add cleaning fees to offset those costs.

How host feedback is shaping our work

Your feedback shows us where things aren’t working for you, and where we can do better. Based on what you’ve told us, we’re focusing our efforts on making every tool more accessible and intuitive. And we’re helping hosts understand how pricing tools work together, which rules take priority when multiple rules overlap, and how to use the tools you have for maximum benefit to you.

When it comes to building new pricing tools, we try to account for a multitude of host preferences while keeping things simple enough for guests to still want to book your space with Airbnb. To do this, we solicit host feedback, test new ideas, and notice what happens to bookings when we add new options.

Here’s a little insight into how we test and pass along our learnings to you: Sometimes we can anticipate reliable opportunities to boost your earnings. For example, you may have seen insight messages on your calendar and emails highlighting discount opportunities for specific dates that would otherwise go unbooked. When you apply these discounts, we highlight to travelers the value you’re offering and that attracts bookings.

Alternatively, sometimes we find that less is more—like in a recent test in which hosts added discounts for 3-6 night stays in areas we noticed travelers were searching for accommodation, and it turned out the guests who booked those discounted spaces would likely have booked the listing at the regular price for the same duration. It’s these types of insights that we pass along to you in how we build and what we recommend.

You always have control over the price you set for your space. And we’re committed to sharing what we learn about pricing best practices. We’re excited that Airbnb offers competitive pricing flexibility for you, a simple booking experience for your guests, and the promise that we’ll continue to listen to your ideas about how to make pricing even better.

In the latest Host Q&A, CEO and Head of Community Brian Chesky answered top-voted questions during a livestream event. For questions he didn’t have time to address, we’ve introduced Airbnb Answers. Want to ask more? We’ll let you know in Airbnb Updates when the question platform will open for the upcoming June 27th Host Q&A.

291 Replies 291
Leslie44
Level 2
Asheville, NC

I would like to  have the option to charge a weekly cleaning fee when guests stay for extended periods. Within the framework now, we can only charge one cleaning fee but we clean up after long-term guest for their entire stay. We offered and clean sheets, we clean their bathroom, we vacuum And we clean up after them when they use the kitchen. The single cleaning fee does not at all reflect the amount of cleaning that a long-term guest booking requires from a host.

Leslie is 100% right. a small cleaning fee should be charged on a daily basis.some cleaning such as collecting hair from the bath after shampoo ,that block draining water ,should be done by guests including hanguing towells to dry.

A simple statement in your description that says long-term guests will be charged a daily cleaning rate which will be added to the reservation following confirmation. Then State specifically what the extra fee will be so people know

Maureen177
Level 1
South Carolina, United States

I think it would be nice to have some conditional pricing. For instance, we allow pets at our Airbnb, but we can't charge a separate cleaning fee for people with pets compared to people without pets. It would be helpful to have the ability to set the cleaning fee and/or other fees based on those conditions. 

Another example could be that guests request extra amenities for an additional charge. This would benefit the guest by allowing them to request extra services/amenities for purpose of convenience, and it would benefit the host by potentially increasing the profitability of their guest's stay. 

Edna---Bob0
Level 2
Aaronsburg, PA

Our space is a fully furnished 'basement' with a separate entrance.  None of the choices for a listing are like what we have.  I am currently using 'private room in house' but that's misleading.

Dawn8
Level 2
Galicia, Spain

I would like a separate charge for meals , breakfast is included but as we are rural some people would like dinner but not everyone. An option for booking dinner with an additional price would be great.

Flor4
Level 2
Hilton Head Island, SC

I do accept pets in my house, yet cleaning takes a lot more work because dogs and cats are not hairless. There should be an option to charge a little more per pet, as we do for more than one guess. And cleaning price should be different for people that arrive with pets. Some people are great and clean after their dogs, other people I have to clean the yard after their dogs. Everyone wants to have a extremely clean place I work very hard at keeping all totally clean as if never pets are at my house. Love pets but they do demand extra work and anyone who has pets, knows that.

The solution I have found for having pets is to make a statement that a pet is allowed. That if you have a pet let me know and I will make a request for change on your reservation to include the pet fee.

I place the pet fee in my description so people know. And it might be a good idea for me to say that I will be adding that fee to their regular fee

MaryAnn59
Level 2
Lovettsville, VA

I am having the same problem as some of the other hosts with 'smart pricing' telling me to lower my rate to stay competitive with other locations. My guesthouse is a 'stand alone/entire house' and the rate is being compared to 'shared house/private room' pricing, which is considerably lower.  There should be similar levels of criteria being compared.  Also, I have received notifications of guests looking at my listing but booking elsewhere.  I have found that sometimes the dates were not available on my calendar which could be the reason they booked elsewhere.  

Diana495
Level 10
Sheffield, United Kingdom

Smart pricing is simply a ploy for you to reduce your price, there is no 'intelligence' behind it, I am really not sure why anyone would think that there was....There is nothing intelligent about Airbnb

Airbnb is toxic

Airbnb operate  illegally 

Joanne232
Level 1
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom

Why don’t Airbnb include Sundays in the weekend ? 

I would like to be able to set a premium price for a single night booking. At the moment the cleaning fee makes it not worth doing single night bookings. Also somtimes guest wants to leave in the evening but not wilinig to pay extra. There should be a setting fot one and a half day.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

I think you have made the wrong decision regarding number of beds.

I have never had a guest arrive who hasn't told me in advance that they want to use the second bed. When it is three people using 2 beds, they have paid for that second bed with an extra person fee. However, when it is two people using two beds, I would like to add a small fee that is NOT an extra person or cleaning fee.

I hope that you will reconsider this decision so those of us who are organized, have listings that are clear about bed size, and only want to ensure that our guests receive exactly what has been promised are not penalized.

Nick-And-Erin0
Level 1
Harpers Ferry, WV

Please allow us to choose Sunday night as part of the weekend pricing.

And a way to select pricing for holidays and holiday weekends without having to set one price to each day manually.

Also, please create a pet fee. We have to charge people through the resolution center for pets. It's really annoying.

I rent a carpet cleaner after each guest who brings a pet. So I charge$50 for a pet fee to cover that cost, my gas and the time.

Having an option for a pet fee to be attached to the option of a guest selecting a pet as part of their guest list would be FANTASTIC! Simply adding a pet option for the guest list would be great too. I've had someone bring their dog without even asking before. I happened to be outside and see them walking their dog. We are pet friendly but people need to inform us. If when they select how many guests, they could select bringing a pet too would be helpful.

Vinh3
Level 2
Baltimore, MD

I think Airbnb should allow travelers the options to rent linens and towels if they choose to, forcing host to provide these amenities is not a win/win  situation.  1.  If a host includes linens or towels they have already included the charges in the cleaning fee which means travelers don't have a choice if they want to travel on a budget.  2.  Some travelers feel more comfortable with their own sheets and towels, there is no point of paying for those item and still have to bring your own.  We have a 4BR beach house that we rent out, the cleaning company is charging us and upward of $80 for cleaning the linens and towels, we don't have a choice but to pass that on to travelers, consider a nightly stay is $200, but the cleaning fee is around $350 for cleaning fee alone, Just not feasible.  There should be option for travelers to add linens, or towels if they choose to.