Airbnb Answers: Protecting you from one-off bad reviews

Administrator

20160729_SeasonalQ2_Meng_San-Francisco_Elliott_1655.jpg

You asked: Can Airbnb protect hosts from one-off bad reviews?

Reviews are so important. They not only impact the success of your business, they’re also really personal. We know you put a lot of thought and care into your hospitality and that it’s frustrating when you receive a review that’s uncharacteristically low—be it a mistake, a misunderstanding, or an unfair assessment. You’ve raised concerns about this, and we want you to know that we hear you and we’re taking this issue really seriously. We’ve invested and will continue to invest a lot of thought and effort into how we can make the review system more fair.

The good news is, we’re already making a lot of progress. Here are some updates we can share with you now, below, and we’re committed to keeping you in the loop as we roll out more changes.

A tool to detect outlier reviews

At the last Host Q&A, in June, 2018, we said, specifically, that we’d look into outlier reviews. To be clear, one-off low reviews can be considered outliers when a host has otherwise great review scores, but a single guest leaves a bad rating that seems out of place. Here’s a solution we’ve come up with: We’re working on building new tools that will automatically detect when outlier reviews like this occur— and give us an opportunity to correct them. So let’s say a guest gives you five stars for cleanliness, accuracy, check in, and so on— for each of the sub categories— but then a two-star rating overall. The new tool will flag this and prompt the guest to correct the overall rating. We’re developing this new tool now, and you can expect to see it soon.

Research into how those reviews affect Superhost status

In addition, we’re doing research to see how a single outlier review can impact a host’s ability to gain or retain Superhost status. The ultimate goal is to find ways to make outliers less impactful for terrific hosts and to make sure the review system is fair.

Location, location, location

Finally, we’re looking at the Location rating and how that can affect a host’s standing. It’s worth noting that Location isn’t used in calculating a host’s overall rating. But you’ve told us that you’re frustrated when you get a low rating in this category since where your home is located is out of your control. And we hear that.

This is a tricky one. It’s a hard concern to address because judging the quality of a home’s location is so subjective. Some guests may love that your space is off the beaten path; others might be disappointed it’s not closer to public transit. We’re doing a lot of research into how we can continue giving travelers the information they need and want when they’re making booking decisions and, at the same time, make sure hosts aren’t affected by something that’s out of their control.

So we’re looking into new ways to collect and highlight guest impressions of your home’s location information. While we don’t have a concrete announcement on this yet, you can expect to hear more details soon, perhaps at the next Host Q&A. In the meantime, please know we’re working on this. Keep sending us your feedback on how we can make the review system as fair as possible.

View this and other answers from the Host Q&A here.

Tags (1)
Labels (2)
353 Replies
Noreen in
Dublin, Ireland
Level 10

1. I would also suggest that Airbnb take account of the number of stars the guests have given other hosts in the past. Some guests just don’t give 5 star reviews no matter what. That should be weighted in the algorithm for host reviews and a correction should apply for this. 

2. I commented on this previously and I am doing so again. AIRbnb needs to rate guests. For example there are guests who will be very critical of a property only because they want a big discount and they will threaten their host with a bad review. Hosts should not be exposed to this and if guests were rated by hosts and these ratings were made visible to hosts this would protect hosts. This is important and I believe hosts need this. A guest informed me recently that my taps were old fashioned and I should have modern ones. She photographed dust and magnified the pictures and told me she wanted a refund which I gave her as I did not want a bad rating. I bet I was not the only host who experienced this with this guest.

Ria in
Northland, New Zealand
Level 10

@Airbnb

Location is indeed subjective. A guest last week reviewed my studio as small so a ding for location . Yet the following night another guest reviewed it as spacious. If this is all dependent on how they compare it to their own homes.  It’s crazy!  

Sarah in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Airbnb  The location rating isn't "tricky". Airbnb just needs to remove this category rating completely. There is nothing else Airbnb needs to do re dealing with this. Hosts are quite clear in their listing descriptions as to how far their place is from the center of town, the beach, public transport, etc. If the guest fails to read the listing description to ascertain whether it will be suitable for them, and neglects to message the host before they book to ask questions re location, it shouldn't be the host's, nor Airbnb's problem. Guests need to take some responsibility for reading the details of the places they book, not just look at the photos and the price.

But I am very pleased to hear that Airbnb is looking at removing outlier reviews.  This is long overdue. But it seems to me that this problem has not been looked at on its fundamental level. The review ratings have to look the same to guests as they do to hosts. Telling guests that a 4* review indicates that the accommodation was better than expected, and then turning around and considering a 4* review to be grounds for removal from the platform for hosts is insane. My guests have been shocked and outraged that Airbnb would lead them to believe that a 4* review is fine, when hosts can be delisted for that. They feel tricked and lied to by Airbnb.

Marcie in
Orlando, FL
Level 10

I recently had a guest (who's also a host) who conjured up a bogus reason to leave my 5 Star Lakefront Private Guest Suite about 4 hours after she arrived. (Another one who didn't READ the description)  She was correctly refunded 50% of her payment per my Moderate cancellation policy.  In her review, she gave me 5 stars for all categories, yet 3 stars overall and STATED in her public review that she 'was angry because the host refused to refund her money.'  I had to state in MY public response that she LIED and actually WAS paid per the cancellation policy in our contracted mutual agreement. (Her own listing has a STRICT policy, refunding NOTHING in a similar case.) She had immediately opened a Resolution Center case for the rest of her money, which I denied.  I was SURE AirBnB would remove her review since it was a blatant LIE, but so far, I've been denied. It's been refused because 'that was her experience'.  An obvious LIE should not be allowed!!  A 3 Star review should NOT be allowed based on STATED anger against a host who honors an AGREED cancellation policy as contracted.  The content policy states reviews should NOT contain info about a Resolution Center complaint. Why are these policies NOT upheld?? What does a host need to do to be treated fairly and the policies applied appropriately??  Why have a policy if it's not going to be applied?? I've never understood complaints about Support in the past, but now I do.... I'm a repeat SuperHost, and if I'm not being treated fairly, who is??  

Eveline in
Bussière-Galant, France
Level 6

Well, I' m very pleased to read that essential issues are being looked at while the new criteria for superhost are being  applied. I'm one of the many who, in the meantime, have been deprived of their statut just for one quite good review accompanied by a 2*. Could  this new guest have understood the system the other way around (1 exellentissimo, 2 very good...) ???

Eveline in
Bussière-Galant, France
Level 6

If you do hear and take the issue seriously, why not getting back to former criteria, which apparently did work, while you're investigating new fairer ways ?

Branka & Silvia in
Zagreb, Croatia
Level 10

What Airbnb tells the guest:

*         much worse then expected

**      worse then expected

***    as expected

****   better then expected

***** much better then expected

What Airbnb tells the host:

*        delisted

**      delisted

***    delisted

****  delisted

***** superhost

How it is logical:

*        bad = delisted

**      not good = delisted

***    good =  warning

****  very good  /   4,5 * = superhost

***** excelent

Location should not be rated by stars at all. Every guest can mention it in his text review and they do it anyway.

Ryan in
Cape Town, South Africa
Level 10

I gave you the solution MONTHS ago, but as always Airbnb "know best" and didnt even care to respond......

Oh wait I forget, im a host and hosts are trash to airbnb. Only guests views and feedback is important.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Airbnb-are-stealing-you-HARD-EARN-5-STARS-HERE-IS-PROOF/...

Maria in
Venice, Italy
Level 10

It has happen to me sometimes, that I have a guest who asked money in exchange of not doing a bad review, and when I refuses the blackmail it gave me the bad review wile all the others rewiews are 5 stars, also I have a guest who asked to have breakfast ( wich is not included) and I give her breakfast, then asked a free boat ride and then I gave her and at the end give me a really unfair 3 stars I don't even understand why, some guest think 5 stars is to mutch, thinking as in life there is always some room to improuve, as a host who has more reviews 5 stars I apreciate the effort airbnb is making 

Jorgen in
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level 4

Some companies let a personal assistent do the reservations.

The visitor hardly know about the system but let thenselves in as it was a regular hotel, turning up after midnigt etc.

They give a dam about doing a testimony

Anatoliy in
Seattle, WA
Level 7

How about value?

i had several cases when guests marked 5 stars for everything but 4 stars for value. This is very subjective, does it calculate into the overall rating?

thank you 

Jorgen in
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level 4

Airbnb give lower staus because I have helped a customer on the hook by rejecting him. The cause was fully the failure of Airbnb, which had put location 102 km away from teh real location.

This is not atall fair and should be corrected. Iy only took 3 years to change and correct the error from Airbnb part.

Danita in
Hampton, VA
Level 3

A rating for affordability related what the host offers compared to other listing would be helpful. I have had guests who will attempt to haggle me about the price of renting a room in my home at a rate if between $25-35 when they had an option of renting other rooms with less amenities but they chose mine and still rated low. I allow my guests full access to the entire home with the exception of my room and my daughter's and a few rate less than 4 or 5 when they used more of the space than those that rate me at 5. 

It would also be helpful with recuperating for damages when reported. I have only had two incidents, one when a child spilled koolaid all over my c as tpet and another where a guests brought roaches with them. Each time Airbnb requested that I communicate with the guest that of course denied that they were the cause. This is frustrating and awkward with someone staying in the home you live in. 

Wayan in
Bali, Indonesia
Level 4

Unfortunately Airbnb does not hold up to its word. You have agents coming out and saying its all for the good when the guest blackmail you or you refund and the agent threatens you to reply immediately or they will cancel on your behalf WITHOUT EVEN VERIFYING WITH YOU when they do not even know how to check a jetlag. The airbnb Agent Adriani did this to my listing and well lost my superhost status. And she closed the case without a word  very rude and unprofessional. All is great with the funny laws that you are all TRYING. Fix your agents first, it is surprising how they treat guests like gods and hosts like trash. 

Tomas in
Quezon City, Philippines
Level 4

Sometimes a guest finds your place ideal for her purposes (ex. near to place of business or meeting) but not so ideal for another whose activities are farther. One would rate you a 5 while the other rates you 4 or lower, thereby pulling down your overall score. The location criteria is subjective indeed! Be better off removing this measure and just let guest express himself on the comments.

Andree in
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Level 4

Location, I feel should not be included at all.  In the descriptors of booking a location there is a map and most hosts describe how many minutes from town and have priced their location accordingly.  Guests book because of price and then complain and give a lower rating because they are not “ in town” - wanting the best of both worlds.

Daniel in
Charlotte, NC
Level 9

I'm happy to hear something is finally being done about outlier reviews after all this time.

One suggestion: Default the star selection in the app to 5-stars.

I noticed when I was staying as a guest at another host's property that star selection in the app can be tricky.  It is very easy to select less than 5-stars when you didn't intend to.  I've asked some guests who gave less less than 5-star reviews the reason for their not leaving 5-stars and been told they intended to leave 5 and unintentionally selected less than 5 by accident due to app design.

Another feature I would like to see tied to reviews - automatic blocking. I.e. if a guess leaves less than 5-stars at a host, prevent them from ever instant booking that host. I had someone give me a low score for no obvious reason, not reply to my asking why, and then a month later rebook me using instant book. Now why on earth would I want someone who gave me a low score before to rebook me?! Fool me once...

Dale in
Lake Montezuma, AZ
Level 3

My headline is  Cozy Log Home at End of Road...and in fact it is within 10 miles of 6 major features...and being at the end of the road, has no noise, no traffic, no pollution and yet is surrounded by amazing  landscape and archeological and cultural  destinations (ruins, petroglyphs, red rocks, etc).    Yet my lowest  rating is for location, very frequently.   I think location should not be subjective but based on accuracy:  if you don't want end of the road, don't come to my place and complain it is at the end of the road.  You can go 20 miles up the road to the tourist trap area and pay 5 times as much...or  find a beautiful, quiet, tranquil setting and drive 20 minutes through pristine high desert and Red Rock scenic byway  to the  main tourist destination.

Summary:  location rating should only be  based on accuracy.   If I say end of the road and it is at the end of the road, that should be a 5 rating.  

Also, I have had rating from 1  rating (outlier) for cleanliness to 5 for the very next guest with absolutely same conditions.   This kind of outlier rating should be dismissed, if it is way out of line with other ratings.  I have 75% 5 star ratings and  two  1's for cleanliness.  One guest even showed me "white paper on the carpet) which turned out to be a 1/4 inch string  OF the carpet.  One guest  complained of dust in a corner you could not see....since it was in a nook behind an airconditioner and so  downrated me.  Such  erratic ratings should be dismissed if the overwhelming  ratings of guests  show  5 star.

Janis in
Boise, ID
Level 4

I just had this happen! A guest ended up not needing half the time he booked, and rather than asking me what I could do, he starting bashing the place to Airbnb, and yelling at me on the phone! I even offered to refund any time that was RE booked if he cancelled, but he insisted that I cancel, which of course I can't do without looking bad! And of course ruined my 5 star record with a terrible review!

I think an easy solution would be to allow hosts to delete 1 review per year or per 10 reviews. It's totally unfair to let one miserable person ruin a great reputation!

Kate in
Toledo, OH
Level 3

Not sure where to place this comment, so I'm adding it to the lot here.  I just lost my superhost status because of the number of reviews to number of guests declined.  I have several repeat guests who are travel nurses.  To expect them to repeatedly rate and review me is obnoxious, and a turn-off for some I have spoken with.  We have discussed finding a different source for bookings to avoid affecting my ratings, and may still be necessary since Airbnb places so much weight on that and the superhost status.

Kristine in
Bloomfield, CA
Level 3

I also think the Location rating should just go away.  It really doesn't rate anything.  Some people use it to say how convenient it was to where THEY were going and some use it to say how convenient was the home to find and some people just don't know what they are supposed to rate and truly, it's worthless.  Lose it.  Value is the tricky one.  SO subjective!  I could lose that one too.  

Daniel in
Charlotte, NC
Level 9

Suggestion to the "Location" issue: Move from stars to tags. Don't rate location at all. Solicit tags for the location from the guest. Examples - near public transportation, convenient to interstate, convenient to downtown, secluded, inner city, urban, suburban, rural, etc.

Those tags would make it easier for future guests to narrow what they're looking for without penalizing the host.

Mark in
Glenwood Springs, CO
Level 3

One idea could be the ability to submit a request to delete one bad review per year for all super hosts.  I rarely get bad reviews, but when I do it is usually because the guest fails to reach out to me when they have a problem.  Bad reviews also seem to be more common when the weather is bad.  ABNB could ask how the weather was during the guests stay.  If the guests lists bad weather, then perhaps those reviews could be filtered.  Bad reviews seem to come from first-time guests also, which could easily be filtered for further review.    

Michelle in
Belcamp, MD
Level 5

Location should not be a criteria that is rated. Period. It's should be part of the listing description with choices like: downtown, suburbs, rural etc. Then under amenities there should be options for nightlife, shopping, etc.

Sonya in
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Level 3

On the subject of outliers, I’d also like to query the loss of superhost status based on one anomaly. My record is faultless, fully 5 star rating, and yet I lost my superhost status based on one error on my booking diary. It was noticed immediately, the guest was entirely understanding, but to minimise hassle for them I had to cancel the booking, rather than them to do it, and lost my superhost status for 6 months. It feels very unfair as I go above and beyond for my guests.

Ken in
Vancouver, Canada
Level 3

I'm quite clear in my Neighbourhood description, that I live in a gentrifiying neighbourhood, with a mix of people, some being down on their luck and having mental problems, yet sometimes I still get a bad rating for my location. I'm very clear in my description that my hood has the night life and great restaurants, it's not quiet. 

I'm pretty sure that the people who give me a bad location rating don't even read my description and are instead focusing on the price, as my neighbourhood is slightly lower in price than quieter, more affluent downtown areas. 

Janna in
Penticton, Canada
Level 4

Good! I have asked Airbnb to remove a bad review, one star, when I average 5 star continuously over the year. This person did damage, I was awarded the damage deposit, yet the review they posted stays up?! 

I disagree with this, it should be removed. It has affected my overall rating. I feel it’s un-fair and unfortunately Airbnb says they will  not remove it.

Im not happy with the outcome and do believe changes need to be made. 

Diogo in
Mitcham, United Kingdom
Level 3

Give the guest opportunity to rate location in my opinion is a joke! They can check the area before they book the place. I had some guests saying that my property is too far from central London, but on my advert is very clear that the property is in Mitcham and not in London. If they want a property close to central London they should book one in London!

Another thing that I don’t agree is rate for value. Airbnb is full of properties with different values, if you pick mine over a cheap one you can’t rate me low on that or even the guest shouldn’t be allowed to rate at all.

Chrislyn in
Bermuda
Level 4

Well done!!!!!

Finally you have heard my plea!!!!

I've had fantastic reviews then one bad penny which spoilt it. I was very upset for several weeks. The guest was devious at most! She claimed I stated that I provided snorkel equipment and beach umbrella which was never an ammenity in my listing. Then with this she said that I gave an inaccurate description. I really think the issue was that she had to buy her own snorkel equipment and rent beach chairs at her own cost.   So she was unfair in her assessment, devious, claimed she could get better value for money elsewhere on the island, yet had never travelled to the island before. How would she know about better value? When she departed she didn't even shake my hand, but got in the taxi and left. I actually gave her a 5 star review, gave her the benefit of the doubt and thought she was just in a bad mood. At this point she should not be allowed to keep the review that I gave her. These guests need to be flagged and a warning needs to be listed by their name if they are not prepared to recant their unfair review.

Grace in
Ottawa, Canada
Level 1

I had a guest this year who was grifting through the region intent on destroying Airbnb hosts by being adversarial, making false accusations, abandoning the reservation (without cancellation) once finding another host to terrorize, and being uncooperative with Airbnb support. I was a  superhost until this guest's malicious rating. It is still there affecting my rating. Airbnb would not omit the obviously malicious outlier rating. How is this outlier formula working? It's not. I should not have lost my superhost status.

Furthermore, because of local laws, I can only list for stays longer than 31 nights, so while I am getting otherwise great reviews, they are not frequent because of the long stays. The overall rating does not take this into account either.

Chrislyn in
Bermuda
Level 4

Location is another issue. My guest accommodation is at the end of a quiet, tranquil neighbourhood on the waterside. It's a 10 minute walk from the main road. When going out at night guest need to have a rental scooter or electric car or catch a taxi back. I've had guests catch the bus in the dark of night, walk over the hill then give me 4 stars for location because they did not wish to catch a taxi back at night, yet loved the quiet tranquility of it. This needs to be fixed.

Rhonda in
Ballston Spa, NY
Level 4

My suggestion is for every 25,  5 star reviews, you get to throw away 1 poor review.  It certainly is fair if your amazing for 25 people and only one is negative. 

Sila & Aurelija in
Dublin, Ireland
Level 4

This is good news in the right direciton, but there are low hanging fruits that you can do in parallel.

- I enabled instant booking as I read all the pushy notifications from Airbnb to ensure that it's secure, and you can cancel if you are not comfortable with the guest penalty free

- I woke up to an instant booking with the same day check in

- checked the reviews of the guest, she had 3 stars and one of her 2 reviews she basically threw a party and trashed the house, threw a bottle of vodka on a car and damanged it

- I thought that Aribnb has my back as I can cancel penalty free so I called them and they cancelled it and said not to worry it's all ok

- I then get suprised by a review from the guest who gave me 2 stars wihtout even checkin in to my place (Airbnb support knows that). They rated the cleanliness for example with 1 star and they never even saw the apartment.

- This resulted in loosing my superhost rating which is really a bummer

I found the whole "cancel penatly free" sales pitch misleading and what was worse is how Airbnb handled this by not doing anything with the review.

Why not remove these ratings, or not allow a cancelled instant booking (for valid reasons) not able to give a review if they booked and cancelled on the same day?!?!

Paul in
Jeffreys Bay, South Africa
Level 3

I am sure this is probably the most clicked on link in the newsletter!  So many important points there.

We've been so close to superhost status a few times, but we had two bad reviews that gave us a 2 and a 3 out of 5 overall over the course of the last two years. That pulled our average down JUST under superhost criteria. I am sure this had a direct impact on our bookings or lack of bookings. In the one case, the guests broke a lamp, and denied it when we contacted them about it. Then they left a very snotty review about something that was wrong with the shower and about the fact that the neighbour's dogs barked. We found the shower was a blatant lie as it worked 100% and there was nothing wrong with it, and we could not do anything about other people's dogs. In another case we got a bad review because the municipal water was off in the entire city due to a large supply line that burst and it was under repair. We went out of our way to communicate with the guests about the situation and provided them with all the water we could find during the time so they could at least flush the toilet and have water for tea and coffee. Still, they left a bad review, even though it had nothing to do with our ability to host or our listing quality. In both cases, we were not able to set the record straight, and the only thing we could do is try to write a reasonable response. I really felt cheated. When we travel with Airbnb, we almost never consider non super hosts, because you don't want to risk your time and money if you don't know the hosts are good at hosting. All our other reviews are 4 and 5 stars. It's really disheartening.

Location is also a big deal. IF somebody books our place, they can see the general area, as well as the photos of how it looks before the time. They choose to stay here, and pay next to nothing for it, but for some reason they feel entitled to give a bad rating based on the very location THEY chose. This is just rediculous.

Anastasia in
Oakland, CA
Level 2

I have similar issues with Airbnb and I believe, that deleting 1 one false review is not enough. Some people are just mean and they lie. Why does this lie have to stay? One person lied about bad bugs, another person rated me low, because she wanted to use a parking, that was not availble for her.

Not to mention, that location does not indicate my performans as a host.  

Another concern - when someone hosts over 100 guests within a 3 months period while someone else hosts 15 - how can be the Superhost Status detemermened fairly? I am not saying, that one person does a better job than another, but I believe, that for people hosting over a certain amount of guests the Superhost Status should be determened differentely.

Larry in
Vancouver, Canada
Level 1

I agree that location should not be a choice in the rating questions .

Im sure guests research the location of their choice before they book a stay .

I also believe (value) on the rating list should be asked, but if all the other category’s receive 5 stars from the guest , then a 3 or 4 rating on value should be questioned .

There are some guests that will never give a five star rating for value . 

That can be easily checked  by looking at their past reviews .

To have to drop from a consistent 100% rating to a 95or96% because of one of these rating answers is very disappointing to hosts that go above and beyond expectations to make their guests experience a special one .

David in
Albuquerque, NM
Level 2

Maybe an appeal process where owners can appeal a review and an actual AirBnB reviewer looks at it. Think NFL replay request, host can only submit so many and if they are wrong, they get charged a nominal fee to cover the cost of the review, but if they are correct, reviewis revised or removed. I had guest say how wonderful our property was, clean, walking distance to everything, etc, but then gave us 2 stars because it was "too small"!  Our price is great, and we are in a tourist location, and we're an old historic pepper and I state in the description that it is exactly 400 sqft and I have professional pics from every possible angle, so she got a wonderfully charming space in a perfect location, which she admitted, which match the description and photos perfectly, yet she gave me a 2-star review. I courteously contacted her and explained that might not be accurate or fair and it would have a significant negative impact on us, and she agreed and apologized and said she would call Airbnb. She actually followed up with me and said she talked with Airbnb and they said they could not revise the review, but they would remove it for her.  That was almost a year ago and the review is still there.

Michelle in
Belcamp, MD
Level 5

Sometimes guests are just plain crazy and demanding. I had a guest complain because I did not go out to her car and bring her luggage in for her. I had another guest who got huffy and pouty and stamped her feet whenever she crossed paths with another guest. I had one give me the worst and only 2 star review because I would not make breakfast for him and his son. He was from the UK and reserved the smaller and cheaper of 2 rooms (by $4) for him and his adult son to share a double bed in the heat of the summer at 100 degrees. Then he complained that when he opened the window he could hear cars.  This was in the suburbs in a quiet SFH neighborhood in a culdesac. He should have asked if there would be any other cars in a 5 mile radius if that's what he wanted.  Yes, my neighbors own cars and come and go within earshot. WTH? Oh, and the most recent one came in, I welcomed her and she went straight up to the room, got a shower and after spending 4 hours in my house alone in the room with the door shut said she was checking out. Thanked me for my hospitality then asked for a refund because she wasn't staying. I said I don't rent by the hour. Then she proceeded to say I was not a welcoming host and she didn't like "the vibe" in my house and she felt trapped. Well, "the vibe" was just like the pictures and I don't k ow what else i could have done for her to be welcoming while she stayed locked up in the room. And the doors like from the inside so if she felt trapped that was her own fault.

Geoff & Betsy in
Port Ludlow, WA
Level 2

Had recent phone contact will AirBnB, subsequent followup by supervisor and everything worked great.    These issues are real and happy that they are being addressed.... 

David in
Chicago, IL
Level 2

I've received several mediocre (i.e., 3-star) reviews which I thought unfair given my own experience as a guest (in Europe, admittedly not in the USA). Whether it's a different set of expectations (I've stayed in 3-star hotels in Europe which did not compare with what I offer to a guest here), or simply a desire to get back at a host for some indignity (delayed check-in time, lack of "coffee in the room"), I think airbnb should do something about this problem.

Honza in
Prague, Czech Republic
Level 3

So that is a NO as an answer. Only thing you are willing to address are guest errors. I had almost perfect 4.9 score until one guest decided for no reason other than being a despicable human being to give my room 1 star review. The review was completely false. They were lying about pretty much everything and when I contacted Airbnb customer service I was politely told to f*** off.  Guests shouldn't be able give review like that without providing reasonable evidence. Everybody got hi-res camera in their phone now. Is there a stain on your bed? Take a picture and show it to the world. Or if that is too much, give us way to appeal to such a review. Airbnb could easily meditate in such cases. Can the guest provide any evidence that would justify their review? What is the track record of the host/guest?

Verónica in
Almería, Spain
Level 2

I'm looking forward to see the result of these tools and new features as I also experience problem related to this.

Some guest try to get advantage of the fact than they can rate you. I was superhost and just for an unfair review before the superhost renewal date I lost my status. In this case was an unfair review and even though I replied to it there was not much to do from my side.

I read commemnts from other guests on other hosts listing and just if you check the property to see the condition after the booking or if you not agree on a different check in or check out time they rate low. Unfair

Rating guest would be ideal and trying a feature like this could help host.

Elizabeth in
Eganville, Canada
Level 2

We just had a guest who was on a house hunting trip in the area. We are a lake side country property and our listing specifies how far we are from the nearest town which is twenty minutes.On the map provided for guests by Airbnb it is clear where our space is located “in the middle of nowhere” which is why most of our guests book with us. Our guest gave us five stars overall but four stars for location stating that we weren’t close to where she wanted to be! How is that our fault? She had all the information to make her decision previous to booking but as a urbanite didn’t appreciate the fact that in the country one has to drive a fair distance to go anywhere. We know she was looking at homes in the town twenty minutes away from us. There are very few Airbnb locations in the vicinity so her options were limited from the start.

Perhaps  location assessment should be dispensed with altogether or at the very least have the guest rate whether “the location was as described in the listing”. That way the onus shifts to the guests to read and understand where they are booking based on given information.

Dena in
Israel
Level 2

What about one off bad reviews for guests? !  I'm a host a nd so far have received consistently good reviews. But I also use airbnb as a traveller. Again, hosts have always appreciated me as a guest and I try to be accommodating. But the other year we had real problems with a flat we stayed in for almost a week... No shelf space, no instructions on what to do with garbage at end of Stay and wet dirty towels in bathroom. I did ask host to give is clean towels and she gave me a terrible review. Since then I haven't been able to book a single airbnb place when I travel. 

So... Perhaps one off bad guest reviews should be looked at

Derrick in
Erie, MI
Level 2

I have had great reviews this whole year. I am currently at a 4.7 overall rating. 1 guest gave me a horrible review and it has been very difficult to boost my overall rating. I am striving to become and maintain superhost status. I think we as host should be able to annually remove 1 bad review. This will give a more accurate rating according to the majority, rather then 1 unhappy guests judgement. 

Level 1

Yes I agree with a lot of comments 

i have had nothing but good reviews 

But last review complain that there mould on wall This was explained to them that it was not mould and I was waiting for concrete to dry so I could repaint it

also there say there were bugs yes there were dead as I fumigation house every three months 

they are to this plus my house in jungle so yes you are going to get bugs 

but it hurts when you take pride in your house and they write a review 

Plus there was a language problem there accuse me of not wanting to explain things etc 

mita just annoying when you go out of your way and this happens 

i have had all reviews excellent 

until this one 

Charmaine in
Richmond, VA
Level 2

That’s the case for me too. The woman took a picture of a dead spider after I used pesticide, took a picture of a patched wall which I have not got time to sand and repaint, a picture of a door knob stopper that I invented by using a plastic lid because I want to be environmentally friendly, ( of course I can afford a $1 stopper!) requesting for refund. Airbnb should use the hotel industry category of ratings. The hotel industry has a mature program of giving stars to hotels, such as 1-5 stars based on hardwares. For example, a five star hotel must have a swimming pool, a hotel is built luxury style but missing a swimming pool, it is never 5 stars. Back to Airbnb hosts, some houses are finished and decorated luxury , some are decorated simple yet practical, but guests tend to rate the old house and simple decorated houses down, even though these houses provide clean sheets etc. and charged much less than luxury houses, but still got bullied by guests wanting cheap prices but expecting a palace. So if a guest should rate a Airbnb star rated house accordingly, ie if a house has a 3 star rating due to its hardware facilities, a guest can not give the house a bad rating based on its looks or ages. Guests should only rate : cleanliness, communication , cannot comment on its looks. We don’t comment on cheap clothes and sun glasses or $20 suitcase a guest wears, why are guests allowed to comment our cheap finishes?! 

James in
New York, United States
Level 2

Spot on with everyone's comments. You can have straight 5 reviews and just one or two 4 reviews will knock you out of supehost status. And, it would take another 7 or 8 perfect reviews to get back to a 5.

Ashley in
Rochester, NY
Level 1

I'm still recovering from a 1 star review from a guest who said the Ac was broken but that the main floor was too cold and upstairs unlivably hot...? She went on to say untrue things in her public review that I was forced to correct in the response to the best of my ability. This review cost us our superhost status and has left us at a 4.6 that is so slow to climb despite repetitive positive reviews! It's hard to say how many reservations this has cost us at this point. Regardless, this change needs to come quicker.  It's also not always only a "single outlier;" I doubt this will be the only time we deal with such a response. Airbnb makes it way too easy for guests to take their permanent revenge on honest, hardworking hosts, whether it's for a refund or for payback. 

Michelle in
Belcamp, MD
Level 5

Another thing is if the guest directly before and after an outlier gives you 5 stars the outliers rating should be deleted and deemed malicious. They should be penalized.

Comment
You must log in to join this conversation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: