Airbnb Answers: Protecting you from one-off bad reviews

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Protecting you from one-off bad reviews

20160729_SeasonalQ2_Meng_San-Francisco_Elliott_1655.jpg

You asked: Can Airbnb protect hosts from one-off bad reviews?

Reviews are so important. They not only impact the success of your business, they’re also really personal. We know you put a lot of thought and care into your hospitality and that it’s frustrating when you receive a review that’s uncharacteristically low—be it a mistake, a misunderstanding, or an unfair assessment. You’ve raised concerns about this, and we want you to know that we hear you and we’re taking this issue really seriously. We’ve invested and will continue to invest a lot of thought and effort into how we can make the review system more fair.

The good news is, we’re already making a lot of progress. Here are some updates we can share with you now, below, and we’re committed to keeping you in the loop as we roll out more changes.

A tool to detect outlier reviews

At the last Host Q&A, in June, 2018, we said, specifically, that we’d look into outlier reviews. To be clear, one-off low reviews can be considered outliers when a host has otherwise great review scores, but a single guest leaves a bad rating that seems out of place. Here’s a solution we’ve come up with: We’re working on building new tools that will automatically detect when outlier reviews like this occur— and give us an opportunity to correct them. So let’s say a guest gives you five stars for cleanliness, accuracy, check in, and so on— for each of the sub categories— but then a two-star rating overall. The new tool will flag this and prompt the guest to correct the overall rating. We’re developing this new tool now, and you can expect to see it soon.

Research into how those reviews affect Superhost status

In addition, we’re doing research to see how a single outlier review can impact a host’s ability to gain or retain Superhost status. The ultimate goal is to find ways to make outliers less impactful for terrific hosts and to make sure the review system is fair.

Location, location, location

Finally, we’re looking at the Location rating and how that can affect a host’s standing. It’s worth noting that Location isn’t used in calculating a host’s overall rating. But you’ve told us that you’re frustrated when you get a low rating in this category since where your home is located is out of your control. And we hear that.

This is a tricky one. It’s a hard concern to address because judging the quality of a home’s location is so subjective. Some guests may love that your space is off the beaten path; others might be disappointed it’s not closer to public transit. We’re doing a lot of research into how we can continue giving travelers the information they need and want when they’re making booking decisions and, at the same time, make sure hosts aren’t affected by something that’s out of their control.

So we’re looking into new ways to collect and highlight guest impressions of your home’s location information. While we don’t have a concrete announcement on this yet, you can expect to hear more details soon, perhaps at the next Host Q&A. In the meantime, please know we’re working on this. Keep sending us your feedback on how we can make the review system as fair as possible.

View this and other answers from the Host Q&A here.

408 Replies 408

I just got a 2 star review by a very challenging guests. I went above and beyond for him, suggested him to cancel the booking and reimburse him but, unsurprisingly, he stayed for the whole trip and didn't want to stay at the more expensive hotels in the area. He gave me 1 star for value though.. His review includes descriptions that were simply incorrect (as could be easily proven). However, misrepresentations of facts don't violate Airbnb's review policy (even though in my opinion they should). For example, he rated the check-in process with a 1 star and mentioned that he wasn't able to enter the suite. That is obviously not true. His 2 star rating lowered my score to 4.7 and it is going to take a while (like 15 consecutiv 5 start ratings to get over this hick up). Obviously this will have an impact on the appearance of my listing as well. I absolutely understand that experiences are subjective and as an attorney I understand that Airbnb has the legal obligation to not alter bad reviews but I would suggest that Airbnb includes "misrepresentation of facts" as a violation of its review policy. Likewise, I suggest that the overall rating experience should not be as impacted by such low reviews if the vast majority of other guests provide 5 star ratings. 

Peta7
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

Unfortunately, the CS Department or Support Ambassadors do not take anything else than the Content Policy into account.

So a guest "writes "Nice or "No comment" and leaves a Host with a 1-star rating, and the Contents Policy was not breached so the CS Department will not remove the review as the Review contents are in line with the policy, even though it is clearly an Outlying or Retalotory review?

Perhaps this is because the Support teams from Asia are unable to comprehend the entire Review Policy and or Terms of Service written in English

This infamous department even goes as far as repudiating Airbnb's CEO, Brian Chesky's directives contained in https://www.airbnb.co.za/resources/hosting-homes/g/introducing-10-major-upgrades-for-hosts-9

So the Management can stay at home as the CS Department is running the show

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Hanna68  Actually it states that the review has to be a true and accurate representation. The problem lies with Airbnb's insistence that the review, even if it's full of lies, provable by scores of reviews stating the exact opposite, is a true representation of the guest's experience.

Christie-and-Clint0
Level 4
Rochester Hills, MI

First of all, I do believe that the majority of people are good and honest. With that being said, Airbnb must realize there are some "bad apples" out there and they must take steps to protect their hosts from them.

1. One-Off Outlier reviews should be eliminated.

2. Retaliatory Reviews should have an appeal process and they should not remain public until the case is closed.

3. If you do not check in , you should not be able to write a review. I don't understand how that actually happens but I'm still new. A cancelled instant booking by a host should not be questioned and the guest should not be able to leave a review (again, they didn't stay)

4. Location should not be rated with a star system

5. Hosts need a private star rating system for guests that only hosts have access to. Guests have ALL the power. I've only had one bad guest since I started hosting a year ago. He threatened me, my neighbors and my property a day after check out by making false accusations in attempt to obtain $$$ from myself and Airbnb. He was a scam artist. I would have loved to leave an accurate review of this character to warn future hosts, however I am still fearful this individual could harm myself and  my community since he knows where I live (and told me he would "return to the property and my neighbors better be ready".  We as hosts know nothing about these guests. I chose  not to leave a review in this particular case and wait the 14 days, upon which I received my 1 star review from him and had to publicly defend myself against fraudulent accusations. Note: Be wary of any guest asking for a discount prior to booking. I am adopting a no discount policy after this horrific experience. 

So I've got( 25) - 5 star reviews and  (1)- 1 star review (leads me back to point #1)

A star review for guests would be nice, J don't have a problem with guests damaging or leaving the place dirty! Many of the people have never I believe stayed in and Airbnb or a Hotel for that matter, they choose the location then review it as poorly located,  the same with communication! They look for dirt in the back of cupboards they say the place is dirty! Just ridiculous stuff! I've two guests that didn't seem to know how to turn a sheet so they thought they had none, so they would go to the linen closet and put sheets over the sheets that were already on the bed! I had another one from moldavia that insisted that they no linin but when we showed them they then insisted it was dirty so on there review said there was no linin and it was dirty and had to be washed! Yes this is true,! And I have weirder stories than this! Half the white people that stay at my house seem to be lonely as hell! Asian Guests are the best! I had a Dutch couple said everything was filthy and I mean everything the reason I believe is they don't like my cleaner who is German! ( because of the War)  another Guest said my deck off my living was dirty etc... but this was in March and near 0and  he had no intention of using it but seemed to offended by it not been set up for this!

indian guest are the best

Jeffrey Bong
Marcie3
Level 1
Mitchells, VA

Has the been done? I received a review like that for the first time today.

Thomas1435
Level 1
Steubenville, OH

How about an appeals process available to hosts for outlier reviews that could leave the review and rating visible but would discount that individual star ratings from the listing's overall rating? Obviously only true outliers like what I describe below could qualify for this, but it would make the threat or fear of a terrible rating no longer so potent.

My recent experience: A guest registered for one person, but definitely had three and it seems like she had more like six. Also, one of her extras bled on a white comforter, and then they stayed more than an hour past checkout.  When I calmly and in a straightforward manner indicated to her that I would have to ask her to pay extra for these violations and extra cleaning needs she got indignant and then blasted us in her review and gave us a one-star rating. This is patently unfair.

An appeals process would go a long way to helping.

Manasui0
Level 10
Bali, Indonesia

I just want to say, for some people, the result of a one star review and loosing the superhost status with out, being able to regain the status in one year has a down grading impact. which, the situation does drop the quality of one's performance and careness toward the community cause by abandon-ment form the protection airbnb has promise to provide...

One thing that airbnb are at most valueable assets is becoming operate by a third party who cannnot make decision except by the books they have read before answering the question toward the troubled customer..

Some times they are deciding base on assumption much more than spearing times on confirming their assumption in question. Many times the comment are different 180 degree toward the truth/ reality, yet it is taken more seriously true or realistic cause it comes from the guest compare the one comes from the host.. we are here and able to make money because Airbnb, and guest is the one who pay for both of our existance. But this fact does not mean, we sacrifice the serenity of our home for the income that has proven to be damaging our self/ community bit by bit.. 

I don't know how Airbnb evaluate a matter/ problem that need to be solve or not..  Is just Airbnb seems to be more playing safe type of party then the one who take action and control upon problems in hand.. 

I've heard that there have been certain people who actually do crime using these system of OTR and gain money as profit while they travel as their main income to support their life and life style all together.. 

may be Airbnb can educate us on how and what to focus on, to stop this type of people or even be organization to stop making us as their mail life recourses..

sincerely, -MANASUI-

Jeffrey Bong

@Manasui0 You are 100% correct about the third party issue, some of them don't even know the policies and become angry when you point out the correct policy.

For example, when a guest cancels last minute and it does not meet the criteria for a refund, airbnb will call the host and try to get the host to bend the rule and ask for a refund.

They tell the guest that it is up to the host to give the refund. Airbnb then calls the host and presses them to provide a refund and when the host holds their ground and refuses to give the refund, Airbnb reps tell the guest making the request for a refund that the host would not give them the refund. Instead, airbnb should just tell the guest that the request for refund does not meet the criteria for a refund.

Neil149
Level 3
Nanaimo, Canada

Airbnb allows these untrue reviews because there is money in it for Airbnb, this company is provided an excellent source of income for a financially time in my life, but thie whole platform is about commerce. Yes I have had flatly unture reviews!

Esther359
Level 4
Seri Kembangan, Malaysia

I started doing Airbnb with no self check-in. There was a male guest who requested to book on a late night (about 20:00). I told him that I was having dinner at a place more than 20km away and would only be available to pass him the access card and key not earlier than 21:30. He agreed and proceed to book. I managed to let him check in as per agreed time but he left me a 4 star on check-in with "late host". Sadly to say that we as the hosts can't do anything about review eventhough the guests had twisted the stories. 

I had similar situation,  a Guest said they would arrive a certain time I said o.k. I'm going to Gym and will meet you at the house! I finished my work out and checked my e-mail and they had arrived 40 minutes early so I hurried over and let them, they were good guests but they left a 4 star check in! Airbnb is well aware that people put false ratings! So why don't don't they do something?

L51
Level 2
Marietta, GA

Reviews are weaponized when the guest may have an axe to grind. Recently, the booking guest felt it was okay not to pay for additional guests. I marked comments N/A. Then simply answered: Would not rebook. Recontacted Airbnb and within 5 days, the guest paid up. I left the guest no room to write a snarky response. A small item was left behind. Usually, I’ll call my guests and offer to mail such items.

Verbal/written confrontations are not a win-win. The old adage ‘speech is silver: silence is golden’ worked for me.

I find Airbnb attitude to undeclared guests reprehensible. Apart from the obvious fact it is tantamount to stealing, our insurer requires mandatory knowledge of the correct number of guests, and in the case of an emergency situation such as a fire, it should be obvious this is a safety issue. Why can't Airbnb understand and acknowledge that fact?