Airbnb Answers: Protecting you from one-off bad reviews

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Protecting you from one-off bad reviews

20160729_SeasonalQ2_Meng_San-Francisco_Elliott_1655.jpg

You asked: Can Airbnb protect hosts from one-off bad reviews?

Reviews are so important. They not only impact the success of your business, they’re also really personal. We know you put a lot of thought and care into your hospitality and that it’s frustrating when you receive a review that’s uncharacteristically low—be it a mistake, a misunderstanding, or an unfair assessment. You’ve raised concerns about this, and we want you to know that we hear you and we’re taking this issue really seriously. We’ve invested and will continue to invest a lot of thought and effort into how we can make the review system more fair.

The good news is, we’re already making a lot of progress. Here are some updates we can share with you now, below, and we’re committed to keeping you in the loop as we roll out more changes.

A tool to detect outlier reviews

At the last Host Q&A, in June, 2018, we said, specifically, that we’d look into outlier reviews. To be clear, one-off low reviews can be considered outliers when a host has otherwise great review scores, but a single guest leaves a bad rating that seems out of place. Here’s a solution we’ve come up with: We’re working on building new tools that will automatically detect when outlier reviews like this occur— and give us an opportunity to correct them. So let’s say a guest gives you five stars for cleanliness, accuracy, check in, and so on— for each of the sub categories— but then a two-star rating overall. The new tool will flag this and prompt the guest to correct the overall rating. We’re developing this new tool now, and you can expect to see it soon.

Research into how those reviews affect Superhost status

In addition, we’re doing research to see how a single outlier review can impact a host’s ability to gain or retain Superhost status. The ultimate goal is to find ways to make outliers less impactful for terrific hosts and to make sure the review system is fair.

Location, location, location

Finally, we’re looking at the Location rating and how that can affect a host’s standing. It’s worth noting that Location isn’t used in calculating a host’s overall rating. But you’ve told us that you’re frustrated when you get a low rating in this category since where your home is located is out of your control. And we hear that.

This is a tricky one. It’s a hard concern to address because judging the quality of a home’s location is so subjective. Some guests may love that your space is off the beaten path; others might be disappointed it’s not closer to public transit. We’re doing a lot of research into how we can continue giving travelers the information they need and want when they’re making booking decisions and, at the same time, make sure hosts aren’t affected by something that’s out of their control.

So we’re looking into new ways to collect and highlight guest impressions of your home’s location information. While we don’t have a concrete announcement on this yet, you can expect to hear more details soon, perhaps at the next Host Q&A. In the meantime, please know we’re working on this. Keep sending us your feedback on how we can make the review system as fair as possible.

View this and other answers from the Host Q&A here.

408 Replies 408
Peta7
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

We are contributing to this post even although we are fully aware that the underlying sentiment of the thread will be disregarded and the usually ignored will definitely not now suddenly be listened to but we have no where else to turn to!

Firstly we believe any major policy shift without proper user consultation is nothing less than a pure authoritarianism management style adopted by the platform owners as of recently and such style should realy be buried along with all other autocracys and dictatorships.

We further believe that the review issue is most definitely impacting more negatively than all other aspects of the new platform policy shift and we are now receiving regular promises from guests that should we not allow a room swap, extend a stay, allow them visitors, let them pay in cash for another etc etc etc they will post a “bad review” which threat always materializes and we have come from super host status to a listing being suspended without any change from our side in a very short time. What a great tool in the hand of a disgruntled guest, whether he or she stayed or not???

When Airbnb is involved to remove these bogus reviews, the agents use the Content policy's own content to decline assistance even although other provisions are in place to remove untrue reviews and reviews used for extorsion etc. The guests also know exactly how to word these deformational reviews as the Help Centre is quite explicit re review content so the Content policy is of very little help.

We once believed Airbnb to be a brilliantly thought out system, that management cared, support teams listen, had a policy of being fair to all without any discrimination in place, that all belonged and all, guests and hosts should enjoy the travelling experience, we also use to believe their now contradicting statements in their platform contents and viewed the now aparently outdated Help centre to be a hosting bible……...........................................what a rude awakening!

Peta7
Level 10

We believe that conceding to the posting of racially motivated bogus reviews containing deformational content on an International platform to be detrimental for hosts, guests and platform owners alike and are not just causing a rift between all parties but is apparently also seriously impacting on our already heavily strained race relations in South Africa.

Perhaps a class action by hosts to prevent the platform owners from posting further fraudulent and deformational content on an International Platform and to claim compensation for all those adversely affected could be a way forward?

There are international law firms available that is willing to accept such a challenge without initial compensation should a case be considered worth their while and considering the many written false reviews in black and white on the platform should prove to be worth a consideration as there will most probably be settlement arranged outside of the court.

Ping-And-Daryl0
Level 7
East Launceston, AU

@Airbnb   Well, here we are, almost 7 months from the original date of this post and NOTHING that you talked about has been changed. Well done. What is the point of Updates like this?  How do you expect hosts to believe anything you say? 

"At the last Host Q&A, in June, 2018, we said, specifically, that we’d look into outlier reviews." That was almost 10 months ago. Great hosts are still losing their status because of guests' lying in their reviews.

Is this topic even useful anymore???

Yan49
Level 7
Gibraltar

The rating for location doens't need to exist. Guests will find the info they need by reading the text of reviews. The algorithm will still work based off the ratings of the other categories. If you want to keep it to appease guests who like to be able to rate the location, keep it and make it not impact the overall score.

@Yan49  The Location doesn't rating doesn't impact the overall score. The Overall score is not based on the individual star ratings- it's a rating of its own, not an average of the others. But I agree that Location shouldn't have a star rating.

Desma2
Level 2
Strahan, Australia

I'm recovering from a guest giving me a bad review because even though we advertise as offering a private bedroom with ensuite in an older traditional style guest house with 4 other guests rooms and share lounge/dining room. This fellow thought he was getting his own "bungalow, unit, ensuite (?)" (his words). I think he thought ensuite meant a unit or something.  Anyway he was miserable the whole time and made myself and the other guests feel uncomfortable all because he didn't read the description properly, and I am the one that has to pay for his mistake with a bad review.

Peta7
Level 10

@Desma0 Welcome to the club, we believe the hand held revolution is impacting as guests generally use a device with a 4.5 " window to make a reservation on a mostly over elaborated on Listing posted on a overwelming Platform.

We have done a small survey and were advised by ~97% of recent guests in our reasonably high turnover listings that Price and Availbility are the only consideration when booking.

Obviously the  Platform and Listing content are then further assumed (ass-u-me:-) which we believe must then obviously lead to misaprehension.

The new review policy ensures the guests are equiped with an all new "Weapon of mass destruction" used to show their disatisfaction with a budget $10 per night listing not having the same amenities as a $1000 per night 5 star Boutique hotel they once were booked in.

This new all powerfull weapon in the guest's hands is increasingly used to blackmail and extort with, we have had crippling blows from mostly local guests (no reference to familial background) for not allowing Self catering in a Boarding House (with the very word boarding signifying meals served) and for disallowing guests to have vistitors for a free sleepover.

With the extremely unfair platform algorithm used for rating we find that relisting has become an option to considered as one will never be able to practically rid the affected listing from such a bogus review rating.

Neil149
Level 3
Nanaimo, Canada

Airbnb has been lowering my listed price without my approval and doing automatic booking without my approval as well, I did object and they did stop, but I find lowering the price attracts a lower grade of renter, my first Guest of the year left a terrible review and Airbnb will not remove the review it is largely untrue but has badly effected my booking! I find Airbnb dispite it's good attributes has big brother approach to handling its hosts! Dispite the bad review  I recieved it seems booking on down with all hosts, is thus true! I should mention I had an exchange on Airbnb message board where a left a message to unhappy guest to go take a hike with their entitlement and expectation, I had just spent 4 hours cleaning a 1900 sq.' Upperlevel house overlooking the ocean beautifully furnished Airbnb gave it to these two couples for $48 Can. And they said wasn't clean enough! Well this absolutely blows my mind with their otherworldly expectations it seems to me that I am just an employee of Airbnb and I should just rent the top of my house Monthly and forgo the aggravation and at this point I would make Significantly more money! Is anyone else out there having the same problem?

Alistair27
Level 2
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Well unfortunately Airbnb is promoting extortion.  Fof the last 6 months i have spent a lot of time and money to get my Superhost status back when a guest ( who I never met) threatened to give me a horrific review if I didn't give her money back. This was a 5.0 ( not 4.9 rating 5.0 !!) Listing. I stuck to my guns and airbnb agreed, there was no reason to return her money. The only problem was, I knew she would give me a one star rating, one out of 131 reviews. Even though i felt that in writing she threatened this, i received no support and her review remained. 

I put this to a facebook forum and everyone agreed that i should have not hesitated - I SHOULD HAVE GIVEN HER MONEY BACK. It is not worth it. And they are correct. If a guest complains and wants to leave, for whatever reason, I will give them whatever they want. 

I have estimated that not paying her has cost me over 10   times what it would have been  to refund her money for no reason. I will definately do that next time. 

How is that not promoting extorsion?

Anyway,  there is always the competition that considers a 4 star rating actually pretty good, insread of warranting a delisting ....

Peta7
Level 10

@Alistair0 Welcome to the all new Airbnb where the platform administrators are deemed as the host's employers and guest Profile obscurance, Extorsion and Blackmail are now the new norm.

Help Center content being of very little use as it is contradictory in its very nature is apparently being ignored by all as the guidelines for Reviews and even the Content policy contain clauses re review accuracy which the platform agents ignore when a request for removal of a bogus review is submitted and the only provision mentioned in their replies is always the Content policy that we believe most guest's to be well versed in enabling the posting of a untrue statement without breaching the said policy and then following up with a standard one star rating being IMPOSSIBLE for hosts to ever recover from.

Yet we refuse to fall prey to this practise of extortion  and have slowed our listings down by removing instant reservations enabling carefull selection and which we compensate for with competitor booking platform bussiness.

We have also started advising our high maintanance guests of possible civil / criminal littigation should they post ANY review at all, to enable this to impact one has to keep a register containing all personal detail as required by many Aurhorities world wide.

Peta7
Level 10

We have had many high maintenance guests in the past with lots of impracticable demands and threatining us with a bogus review should these wants not be met and even after yielding to their requests found ourselves once again being the victim of the much spoken of and heavily feared standard 1 star bogus review, so one has to consider all and please do not just give in to this practise of Blackmailing, Extorsion, Untruth, Obscurance, Exclusion and every other negative aspect of this all new review system.   

Jessie131
Level 2
Richmond, VA

I lost my superhost status because of one guest. Her review was so bad, I don’t know why she didn’t just leave instead of staying the one night she did. She checked in early and I offered her a full refund.

i was out of town (my son did not empty the garbage) and most of her complaint was centered around what her puppy found in my trash as it was on the floor in the restroom upon my return home.

Bailey26
Level 2
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

@Jessie131 Yes, I understand. I got the same problem. Because one competitor do that to me..she jealous/envy so she pretend to be a guest and cancel booking 1 min ago she checkin

Phil-And-Aquilla0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It's simple Airbnb.  Go back to the system of percentage of 5 star reviews when assessing for  superhost status. Then a low out of place overall star rating woulddn't have the impact it now does.

Maureen76
Level 2
Warwick, RI

I've had a guest who gave me a lower rating in the location catagory because her G.P.S. indicated to her, my cottage was down the street !!! Like I have any control over G.P.S. This lower rating I believe adds to keeping me at a 4.9 instead of a 5 in that catagory.