Airbnb Answers: Tips for getting more bookings

Airbnb
Official Account

Airbnb Answers: Tips for getting more bookings

Bookings%2FPhotography Article.jpg

You asked: What can I do to get more bookings?

We went straight to the source for this answer: We asked guests what they look for in Airbnb stays, and we analyzed their booking behavior to find out what takes them from browsing to booking.

It turns out that, after price and reviews, photography is the most important factor. In fact, 60% of listing views start with a guest clicking on a photo, and over 40% of the time when a guest chooses not to book a listing, the last thing they clicked on was a photo. So photos matter, and they should be as good as possible. 

Check out our tips for taking great photos using your phone or camera, or if you’re ready to take your listing (and booking success) to the next level, consider professional photography.

We’ve found that pro photography can help your listing stand out and perform better than it otherwise might. Specifically, you can expect:

• 16% higher probability of being booked
  • 39% higher total reservation amount (which means that guests tend to book longer stays)
  • 28% more nights booked
  • 26% higher average price per night

As a lot of you know, Airbnb can connect you with pro photographers in locations around the world. You can request a photoshoot at no cost up front; the service fee will simply be deducted from your future bookings.

If Airbnb’s pro-photography service isn’t available in your area, consider hiring a photographer that specializes in interior spaces.

Once you have photos that really do your place justice, it’s time to give potential guests some more context. Great photos need great captions. And guests really do read them. Captions are your opportunity to do two big things: direct potential guests’ attention to the unique and compelling perks of your place and help set expectations. So don’t just show them a pretty bed, tell them how comfy it is. Describe what they can’t see for themselves—that the tiles in the bathroom floor are heated, for instance. This is your chance to help guests imagine themselves in your space.

By taking the time to show and tell travelers how great your place is, you’ll attract more interest. Your attention to detail in your online listing suggests you’ll be a host who cares about the little things that count in person.

View this and other answers from the Host Q&A here.

53 Replies 53

Wasn't one of the "future options" for Superhosts to have new professional photography  as an option vs. another travel coupon?  Photography is available in my area and yet, I can't choose this "benefit".  It would be great to have new pictures taken now after 3-1/2 years since our last professional session. Things have changed in my home (like our old pictures have our now deceased old dog in one of them - people ask about her all the time, it's really awkward), landscaping has changed, we swapped out some furniture, added some art, and yet, even if I wanted to pay, I can't go through Airbnb.  They won't even give me a list of names of the professionals they use so the quality would be the same as the ones they are taking for other hosts.  

It was just more platitudes and promises from @Chesky0 that have never come to light.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Alice-and-Jeff0,

I hope you are good. 🙂

In terms of the option to choose between travel credit or a free photography session, I do believe this is available now.

When you go to your Superhost page (when logged in), are you able to see this benefit option at all or only the travel credit option? 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Sion2
Level 10
SF, CA

I have been a super host for 12 straight months. I am a photograper. I still prefer my iphone pics...I am always booked so I know they are working and I love that gasp when they open the doors of their rooms. What a nice way to start your stay as a guest , happy at your selection, more then you thought you might be. 

Here is my tip for being a great host. Its all starts with the bed...I am shocked at how sloppy and small most beds are in listings similar to mine.  The thing the guests will use the most is the bed. Invest in a good one. I even hacked mine with an added platform so it makes no noise and does not move on the floor. I have a King size bed. This means more bookings...and people not in couples often book and use the wedge pillow. 

I just booked some places for my trip...it was the bed size that made or broke the deal. I am not going to squeese into a double with my husband in a hot climate. Queen or King only. 

@Lizzie - If you are talking about this page: https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/rewards

I absolutely only have a travel coupon option available to me: 

travel coupon.JPG

BTW - the Community Forums are super, super buggy right now.  I cannot select @ options nor can I "reply" to any post.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Alice-and-Jeff0,

Sorry for my delay in coming back to you, I just wanted to double-check on this.

So yes, if you have retained your Superhost status for 4 consecutive quarters, like with receiving your Superhost travel credit, plus if you are in an area where free photography is available you should see this option on your Superhost rewards page. This benefit is live now. 

From what you have said both of these apply to you, so I would actually recommend contacting our Support Team so they can have a look at you account. 

I hope this helps and you get this sorted.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ali130
Level 2
Campsegret, France

We chose to get professional photographs taken and when asking guests why they decided to book with us they always say it’s because of the photos. When they enter the property they say “it’s just like the photos!”

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

So Airbnb has determined that guests book based on looking at pictures, reading reviews, and looking at the price. And they think we should be pleased with this information, and respond by working on our photos.

What is evident in this information is that the last thing a guest uses to make the determination as to whether to book a place is READING THE LISTING DESCRIPTION TO SEE IF IT WILL MEET THEIR NEEDS, which seems to me to to be the most important factor in ensuring that guest/host is a good match. This is one of the main issues for hosts and failure to thoroughly read the listing information is what leads to guests complaining about things that were never promised in the first place, cancellations, refund requests, etc.

Perhaps instead of pressuring hosts to use professional photography, they should be pressuring guests to read the listing descriptions instead of behaving like children and only looking at pretty pictures. 

Donnya-and-Gabriel0
Level 2
California, United States

I have been a Superhost for awhile now and was looking forward to the professional photography option. It finally came up on my listing and when I decided to use it the option was taken down from my listing. I called SuperHost Customer Service only to be told they made an error by placing the option on my listing. Even though I expressed my desire to have a photo session they didnt offer any options to make up for their mistake. I was hoping to at least get the names of the closest photographers that Airbnb might have availble in the next city or so. However, nothing I was left disappointed. Left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

A lot of guests said that they where convinced to book at my place because of the many positive reviews on my listing from previous guests. 

Im now considering to have a proffesional photographer to take pictures of my apartment. Im so curious if my listings will stand out even more. 

Great thanks for the many tips from Hosts and AirbnB!

Kira!

Mimi51
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

We used professional photography for our space through Airbnb, and the pictures look amazing! When we recently completed an addition, I took my own photos of the new space, but am planning an additional professional shoot once some final pieces arrive to complete the new decor. That said, guests say that the house looks even more amazing in person, so in my mind, that's a win-win! The professional photography through Airbnb does not allow for additional lighting other than natural light, so the images are pretty true to form. I would say what leads to more bookings is having a well-designed, clean and organized space, with good reviews, good value, and a good response rate. Also, maintaining an upbeat tone when communicating with guests is helpful and brings out all around positive vibes on both sides. I also ask for feedback on any improvements in a private message as it lets guests know we care, but at the same time gives us a chance to get things right. There haven't been too many suggestions as I am a bit of a perfectionist, but the ones there have been I have taken very seriously and implement right away. I genuinely want to provide a good experience for our guests and I hope that shows!

Dave382
Level 2
Denver, CO

As a traveling couple (who book apartments in western Europe and stay for 4+ nights in each one), we want to see the following in photos:

1. The washing machine. I want it in the unit and not somewhere else in the building.

2. The master bed. We have to be able to exit the bed on both sides.

3. The kitchen. Can we actually cook in it?

4. The bathroom. How large is the shower?

What we don't care about in photos:

1. Artwork.

2. Tchotchkes.

3. TV - we never turn it on.

Photos do NOT have to professionally shot, but they ought to be OK. Fuzzy, dark photos are just not acceptable.

We have been a super host for number of years and recently had the airbnb photographer take the photos  which were more than happy to pay phone. When the ad BMB Photographer arrived she said she could only take a maximum number of shots. It is important to note that even though you have paid for and maximum number of shots Airbnb curates / approves the shots prior to upgrade loading them.

I didn’t like and number of the shots for different reasons and asked AIRBNB that the specific photos be replaced with other shots taken on the day. This was declined by AIRBNB and given no reasons why .... even though it was myproperty, their photographer and I paid for the shots I was unable to select alternative shots from the package.

It’s incredibly disappointing that despise  asking several times different Airbnb people no help or clarification was given.   Well the photos are lovely I believe the host and owner of the property should also get an approval right so I caution Beechhurst when you spend the money there is a possibility that you may only like one photo 

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

I read this post hoping to get some other tips besides making your place look nice in photos. Bookings have taken a very hard dive and I have a suspicion that there are other things at play. 

One item for hosts to check is that the displayed rate does not include cleaning fees— it now behooves hosts to drop price and increase cleaning fee to get more lookers. I suspect there are other algorithm pieces at work too—

just updating the listing has been said to help but I would actually like Airbnb to step forward with these tips in a forum like this.

in addition, I have thoughts that Airbnb as a platform is dwindling in popularity as word of the nightmare scenarios spread. For instance, I’m taking a trip soon and will probably stay in a hotel for the first time in a long time. 

‘What are the real reasons our reservations fall off, Airbnb?

@Jess78   The only reason I can imagine that your bookings have fallen off is that perhaps there's a lot more competition in your area? I looked at your listing and your place is so sweet, you have great reviews, and your listing description is personable and complete. And one thing I never see mentioned is that perhaps the economy has something to do with it- people maybe don't have much disposable income these days, or are worried about the economy, are therefore not travelling as much, or vacationing closer to home. So aside from holiday times like summer, Xmas/New Years and Easter,  that could be a reason that bookings are down.

Mildred6
Level 4
Quito, Ecuador

Hi,  My guests before said your apartment is beautiful, but your pictures won't do it, So I decided to hired a professional photographer and I am very happy with the results. Now,  guests are saying one thing they decided to booked my place, are the pictures and that they justify the place. Now I get more bookings. I will never go back to my own pictures. That is a nono.