Antiracism resources for the Airbnb community

Airbnb
Official Account

Antiracism resources for the Airbnb community

People are experiencing hate and discrimination around the world, but due to the tragic deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and countless others, these last few weeks have been especially difficult for Black people in the United States, including hosts and guests. 

We shared the email below with our community in the U.S. this morning, including an Activism and Allyship guide to stand with the Black Lives Matter movement. We also want to hear your ideas. 

What can we as a global community do to mobilize and show our commitment to nondiscrimination?

---

To: All hosts and guests in the US

Subject Line: Antiracism resources for the Airbnb community

Hi, 

As we work to process the tragic deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and countless others, we wanted to send a message to you directly. To hosts and guests who are hurting, angry, and scared, we want you to know that Airbnb stands with you.

Discrimination is the greatest threat to a community built on belonging and acceptance. It cuts to the core of who we are and what we believe in. Airbnb stands with Black Lives Matter, and we reject racism, bigotry, and hate. 

We can’t talk about recent events without also acknowledging the painful truth that some hosts and guests still experience discrimination, something that is the very opposite of our mission to create belonging. In 2016, Airbnb launched our nondiscrimination policy and community commitment, and over 1.3 million people who declined the pledge have been removed from our platform. We still have work to do, and we’re continuing to take action on our commitment to fighting discrimination.

One way we’re doing that is by donating a total of $500,000 to the NAACP and the Black Lives Matter foundation in support of their fight for equality and justice, in addition to matching donations to both groups made from all of our employees. Another is sharing an Activism and Allyship guide that our Black employee resource group, Black@Airbnb, prepared for our team, which references work from activists and experts in antiracism. We thought it would be helpful to share these resources with you—as we all work together to become better and more active allies.

Download guide

Please take care of yourselves, and stay safe.

In solidarity,

The Airbnb Team

----

Please keep in mind the Community Center Guidelines, when sharing your ideas.

59 Replies 59
Craig331
Level 2
Dripping Springs, TX

I personally find the financial commitment and advocacy for Black Lives Matter an appalling decision based on factual evidence ****

Agree, or disagree with the above statement, surely we as business owners can all agree that whoever made the shockingly stupid (Business/PR wise) call just a few hours following 8 police officers being shot, countless others shot at and still others physically assaulted with bricks, trash cans and even SUV's, should be immediately be fired for incompetency.  

We have taken a stand that we will not accept any reservations until this idiotic decision is reversed. We can ill afford this in a post covid world. We can't afford to not take a stand in this pre "end of law and order" world. We refuse to have a single penny generated by us to be misused in this manner. 

Worst case scenario, I'm totally wrong about all of this, you just pissed off half of America if not half of the world who once were our potential customers (and yours). Great job making "New Coke" seem like marketing brilliance!

I welcome anyone of a like mind to reach out to me to explore all our options. 

Craig ****

*[Personal information and sensitive information hidden - pending- in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

*[Inappropriate content hidden in line with the Community Center Guidelines] 

This is me sending you a cyber hug @Garrett48  🙂 That response was brilliant!

Craig331
Level 2
Dripping Springs, TX

Hi Garrett48, 

Unlike your hateful post, I spoke only of facts with just enough detail to demonstrate what a bad business move was made by AirBnb and what I am willing to do stand up for what is right. I'll gladly engage with anyone about the reality of what Black Lives Matter really is on any other platform. That's an argument I can't lose. They are not threatening the overthrow of your country - yet - so you are welcome to a different opinion. However if you think this was good for business, I encourage you to donate 100% of your proceeds from yours to whatever cause you like. I on the other hand will reject the bigotry of personal accusations and again invite anyone who would like to discuss how we can influence AirBnb to avoid taking money from our business and investing it in hatred.

"I spoke only of facts"

Except you didnt @Craig331 

You said:  "based on factual evidence that the group supports... anarchist policies including the killing of police officers. "

Let's see the "factual evidence" for that... take your time: you'll need it.

And, by the way, my country is America

BLM does not threaten the overthrow of the US. It threatens the overthrow of the system of white privilege and systematic, institutionalized racism.  And I welcome that.

Chuck148
Level 1
Madera, CA

AirBnB is way off on this one. Providing financial support to two organizations that somehow are meant to represent the plight of blacks while so many black lives, neighborhoods and businesses are being destroyed by blacks and whites and every other enthic extreme elements of our society. Perhaps better to contribute organizations that help rebuild lives that have been so impacted so terribly. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I'm just going to step in here as it is getting quite personal towards one another. As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, this is a sensitive discussion area and when deciding to get involved it is important that we are mindful of how our points may come across to our global community. 

I know there are a lot of discussion points we could go into here, but this topic is about sharing constructive ideas on what we can do as a community together–so please focus on that.

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Marissa107
Level 6
Marbella, Spain

To join such solidarity:

I just had a wonderful lunch with 4 other ladies:

1. a Czech married to a British

2. an Italian married to Italian

3. a Singaporean married to Italian

4. an Ethiopian African American/ Irish married to an Italian

5. a Filipino/Spanish 

Can we just live in harmony please?

Marissa107 in Estepona, Malaga Spain❤️

Hi @Marissa107 , sounds like a fun lunch, lots to talk about for sure.  Something I would note about the partner pairings you highlighted, only 20% are traditional "Purebred" couples, (I use that word with the knowledge that were less pure than we are mixed in most cases) the rest are Mongrel-ish!   Thats actually a way to end racism as a whole, when we become one race.  Funny thing is it didn't take reproduction to produce this single category we can all live under, we always were one race, "Humans"!!!!!!!

Sadly, even when you put lots of people who appear to be alike in a room together to decide things, huge disagreements exist without visual or audible cues!  Harmony may be a bit more than we can ever expect but we surely can do much better than we have been at getting along!  My question for you, what language was the predominant one at the table?    Stay well, JR (By the way, I am Scottish, German, Irish, English, Dutch)... (OK, I'm a Mongrel US Citizen!!!!)

@Melodie-And-John0 

I would say more bilingual Spanish and English in varied accents!

By  the way, my late husband was pure bred Englishman but was born in Scotland.

Marissa107 in Estepona, Malaga Spain❤️

@Marissa107 ,  Im guessing the day of purity in race is nearing its end now that we can and are shifting and moving all over the place.  The giant Melting pot is the great equalizer and in the end will transcend laws that separate and disrupt bigotry in ways that will make it very hard to practice.   It can't happen fast enough for those that have endured it from birth but it is happening.  Stay well, JR

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Sadly, the protests and protesters have shielded some very bad things within their masses like complete lack of adherence to the Mask and distancing  protocols that have saved millions of lives and the looting and wanton destruction.  They have begun to exact more costs on the Empire State that will inevitably harm the very people that protesters profess to be marching to protect in new and old ways they haven't experienced before with no end in sight.   

The virus is again on the rise in the hardest hit areas like New York City, Rochester, Syracuse and Buffalo, estimates are as much as a 75% increase in suspected covid related ER Visits just the last 2 days, the spike has begun and only 2 days before NYC was to begin reopening.   Add to that the looting has shuttered thousands of businesses, many will never again open their doors again. 

"Many of the businesses they looted where mom and pop shops in distressed communities that were struggling in the first place. In New York City, Rochester, many of these businesses were essential businesses for the poorest communities in those locales. They looted mom and pop stores that don’t have the resources to rebuild and reopen," Cuomo said.

Add to that, hundreds of Law enforcement, National Guard, rescue, fire and security personnel have been injured, some very seriously.   New threats to de-fund them beyond where they can safely do their jobs may be the final straw that breaks our cities citizens backs permanently.   Good LEO's and first respondents everywhere will quit, move, find a new line of work or all of the above and the scumbags that hide behind their blood stained badges will stay right where they are, nobody else wants them!   Who will Grandma call when someone is breaking into her flat, a protester, looter or the police that are left with a shadow force?  Maybe its time for Granny to get a gun!

The law of unintended consequences is always in effect, it has so much pent up rage and energy that are now whipping and crashing large populations of our nation uncontrollably like a once in a lifetime lightning storm of biblical proportions.   Unfortunately even a perfectly choreographed Steve Urkel rally march mantra of "Did I do that?" by well meaning groups and citizens for change won't put Humpty Dumpty back together again once that egg is shattered.   

It is the Sick, Disabled, Minority and struggling poor that will not be able to escape the tsunami of pain those communities will suffer en mass no matter how much money is thrown at them.  All of the stores are closed and Even UPS is thinking twice about delivering...

Is this the future "We the People" asked for or deserve?   I think not.   Please Stay well, JR

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

Thank you for posting these resources for our community.

Grigorijs0
Level 2
Møre og Romsdal, Norway

Why I see the banner "We stand with #BlackLivesMatter".
I pay my money on this platform to rent apartments. And I don't have to see and I don't want to see any political games...

You support looters burning and robbing another's property.

Oh for crying out loud. Where do you get your facts, @Grigorijs0 You pay money on the platform for a service rendered. You aren't giving anyone anything.

As for looters burning and robbing - it's been well established here in the US that the looters and robbers have been predominantly white. That's the standard playbook if you want to discredit something or someone - you send in people to start chaos. 

White supremacists were caught delivering bricks in advance to sites. The majority of people caught burning police cars and buildings have been white. So please, at least educate yourself to what is going on over here before regurgitating lazy soundbites mean to race bait. Good grief.