Antiracism resources for the Airbnb community

Airbnb
Official Account

Antiracism resources for the Airbnb community

People are experiencing hate and discrimination around the world, but due to the tragic deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and countless others, these last few weeks have been especially difficult for Black people in the United States, including hosts and guests. 

We shared the email below with our community in the U.S. this morning, including an Activism and Allyship guide to stand with the Black Lives Matter movement. We also want to hear your ideas. 

What can we as a global community do to mobilize and show our commitment to nondiscrimination?

---

To: All hosts and guests in the US

Subject Line: Antiracism resources for the Airbnb community

Hi, 

As we work to process the tragic deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and countless others, we wanted to send a message to you directly. To hosts and guests who are hurting, angry, and scared, we want you to know that Airbnb stands with you.

Discrimination is the greatest threat to a community built on belonging and acceptance. It cuts to the core of who we are and what we believe in. Airbnb stands with Black Lives Matter, and we reject racism, bigotry, and hate. 

We can’t talk about recent events without also acknowledging the painful truth that some hosts and guests still experience discrimination, something that is the very opposite of our mission to create belonging. In 2016, Airbnb launched our nondiscrimination policy and community commitment, and over 1.3 million people who declined the pledge have been removed from our platform. We still have work to do, and we’re continuing to take action on our commitment to fighting discrimination.

One way we’re doing that is by donating a total of $500,000 to the NAACP and the Black Lives Matter foundation in support of their fight for equality and justice, in addition to matching donations to both groups made from all of our employees. Another is sharing an Activism and Allyship guide that our Black employee resource group, Black@Airbnb, prepared for our team, which references work from activists and experts in antiracism. We thought it would be helpful to share these resources with you—as we all work together to become better and more active allies.

Download guide

Please take care of yourselves, and stay safe.

In solidarity,

The Airbnb Team

----

Please keep in mind the Community Center Guidelines, when sharing your ideas.

59 Replies 59

Dear@Jessica-and-Henry Believing in the cause of Black lives matter doesn't mean ignoring racism directed against Asians or any other group who had been caught in the cross hairs of bigotry. The institutional racism of our police system is directed against African Americans in a very specific & concrete way. George Floyd's death was unique mainly because it was filmed in broad daylight.

Of course all lives matter, of course all racism is harmful, but Black lives matter came about because too many times, for too many years, Black lives didn't seem to have any value to those with the power to kill people under cover of law, with few if any questions asked and with no real consequences. Please, let us  not be divided by the hurts we have received but united in the will to end the practice of judging our fellow humans by anything but the content of their character, it's the only way we can ever be free at last (Blessed be the memory of Dr.King)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

This is understandably a sensitive discussion point, and so it's important that we are mindful of this in our replies here and are respectful to one another. 

As mentioned above we are keen to hear your thoughts on what we can do as a community. I'm sure many of you have ideas and so can I please ask that you keep it constructive.

Thank you all,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie @Airbnb 

Airbnb has got to revisit the policy of hiding pictures and profiles from hosts. That is not how to build community. If there are pockets of racism, then address them. But these blanket policies in this environment have created a dangerous situation. We've been saying that for years. It has to stop NOW.

Similarly, Airbnb has a poor track record of vetting guests - putting the entire onus on the host. On one of my local forums, hosts are having to warn other hosts about bad guests constantly signing up for multiple accounts or using friends accounts to escape detection.

Airbnb needs to insist that profile photos be the real photo - not a dog, not a pasture, not a sunset.

We talk about saving lives and giving money to organizations but what Airbnb can do to make this a better platform to work with is to stop making hosts and guests meet in dark back alleys. I've been lucky so far because I won't approve someone who doesn't talk to me first if they are new. But then Airbnb hides the names and phone numbers in the private messages. That's not any of Airbnb's business. Those are private communications on the platform. Even my daughter was begging me to decline a guest who was edited so we couldn't read half her communication.

Airbnb has to grow up. We can't talk about community if Airbnb is holding all the cards and doing vetting of new guests so low that the only thing verified is an email.

If Airbnb is a booking service, then it needs to be a partner, not a dictator.

@Christine615 Forgive my ignorance but why is it dangerous to hide profile pictures until a booking is confirmed?

I totally agree profile pictures should be an up to date picture of the host/guest. I really don't understand why Airbnb don't mandate this.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Racism is still a real thing here in the US as much as Airbnb thinks that their poorly thought out solution will fix it. For us it is sometimes a matter of safety. Sometimes life and death. Some examples:

One year I was invited to attend my employee's baby shower. I arrived with a basket of items draped in clear wrapping with a bow. When I rang the doorbell a woman answered the door, pushed a young girl that was with her to the back and said "Sorry. We don't take solicitations here." I said, "Sorry to bother you. Tell Jane her boss was here and I'll just leave her gift on the stoop." I turned to leave and the family ran after me to drag me back saying they were sorry but you can "never be too safe."

Last year, I was at an event and someone went rushing by and said they had to warn the host that a Black man walked into the house. (people were walking in and out to get food). I said, "Yes. My husband."

That happens a lot more than you think.

Airbnb applies these poorly thought out policies in response to something that happened to a infinitesimally small group of users. But then, by that action creates bigger ones for the rest of us who are people of color.

I do not want to book a place where the host doesn't like African Americans or makes assumptions. I don't want to book a guest who doesn't want to stay in my place because of my race. Those decisions can be made before the guest books. It becomes more uncomfortable if the bookings have to be cancelled "after" the fact because I suddenly discover posts, etc. in their social media that would indicate that I'm at risk.

@Christine615 Apologies but this is really interesting for me. 

Are Airbnb not between a rock and a hard place? If they allow racial discrimination (ie hosts refusing guests if they have an African American appearance then that is surely wrong whereas if they stop racial discrimination by hiding the profile pictures the the guest may be in danger with some hosts.

I guess safety is arguably more important than racial discrimination but does the law see it this way?

@Airbnb - Without just saying racial discrimination is not acceptable (which it clearly isn't) is there a reason why stopping racial discrimination  appears to be prioritised over guest safety?

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Your last question says it all...

@Airbnb  Is there any reason why stopping racial discrimination appears to be prioritised over guest  (and host) safety.

Exactly. And worse, the rules are made after the hosts and guests agree to terms and often without adequate discussion.

@Christine615  discrimination as a group thought process in 2020 is hard to put your finger on much less address but those that actually discriminate are pretty easy to highlight and eliminate liker the piece of trash that was hell bent on showing the world he was in charge.  The hard part about that is accepting that it exists in so many ways in every place and demographic, it is impossible to eliminate completely.   I grew up in a tiny very white-bread rural community that 9 out of 13 school classes had zero darker skinned students and the 3 only had one each from one family.   My class picture had 28 kids that looked more alike than different by today's standards but if you looked a little closer, the differences were actually huge.

Discrimination of all types was rampant in our tiny district but very little of it was racially motivated.  Actually, the two males from the darker skinned family were two of the biggest bullies in the school (I think I still have some of the imprints of my classmates fists in my face 50 years later) and they were far more respected than my family that had recently settled in that rural  inbred area and looked at and treated like the new kids in town, (not very welcoming to be sure) . 

Farmers were treated one way, Jocks another, Kids from more affluent families carried just as much weight as their daddies and moms did and those on welfare might as well not even exist.  It had every hint of brutal hierarchical and master slave exclusivity, shunning and treatment without many visual cues of skin color.  Class of 2020 in that same place looks very different today but unfortunately still has many of the same attributes the class of 1978 did,  classism survives and thrives and separates the same way it did when I was a kid.   

Even the very affluent, abnormally diverse village community supporting the University I have worked for the last few decades exhibits those same attributes.  Those that are sons and daughters of Profs are not treated the same as the offspring of Janitors, Plumbers or Groundskeepers that are "lucky" enough to be called "residents" instead of just "Townies".  

Christine, as a 2 year resident of Fort Riley KS, I saw small town's that looked just like ours across the state (except they were flat) I'm sure you know of the towns not far from where you are that look and function just like the ones Ive described here that have citizens that feel much the same as you about their treatment based on class not skin tone. 

Superiority complexes and top of the hill/ bottom of the heap mentalities are practices that transcend typical observable discriminatory practices and most folks can truly relate to on one level or another personally.  That which we can all relate to  and able to understand is something we cannot help but rally en mass to effect.  I pray we will reach that place someday together, the sooner the better.  Be well, JR

Seriously @Lizzie, you ban a user for using the word "arse" but permit a motley assortment of closet racists, apologists and deniers free reign to spout their bile?

Most of the comments on this thread are a disgrace. And uninformed and ignorant - not even a clever take on it.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Christine615 ,  first I agree with your ideas on the no pic or names before booking, nobody needs to be puposely flung into either of the two scenarios you described, its not right.  I can't begin to address the closed minds of the people your talking about but what I think you may wish to consider is that the Police officers doing the things your talking about is less spawned out of racism and more a Strutting **bleep** Rooster superiority complex.  The reason that matters is that we're all at greater risk of becoming Like George even if we are not dark skinned.   We could all unite against fighting that injustice and I believe you would find most LEO's would be right beside us all cause they don't really deserve to be painted with the same crimson paint brush as those that took Georges life.   Just my POV, stay safe and well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

The fact is that in Minneapolis and elsewhere in the US police are far more likely to apply brutality and excessive force when interacting with black citizens. Regardless of what you choose to assume about their motivations, that is a simple fact.

It amazes me when white people try to explain to black people how they should feel about these and other "bad facts" based on our own personal experience in the world. The whole point is that our experience is not their experience.

"It amazes me when white people try to explain to black people how they should feel about these and other "bad facts" based on our own personal experience in the world.",  Nobody is "telling" anyone how they should feel @Lisa723 , we are all engaging in a conversation where about the only thing we have is experiences to share and contribute here online.   Those experiences matter and you don't have a clue what any of us have experienced unless you walk in our shoes or listen to our words, youve done neither here today...  Stay well, JR

Empty vessels etc

@Melodie-And-John0 

Thanks, @Mike-And-Jane0  Appreciate it!

Right now, it is important to understand that the movement we are talking about is not about prejudice. It is about police brutality and the killing of African Americans at the hands of those public officials. The brutal treatment is not limited to white officers. They are White, Asian, Black, etc. 

BLM was formed to address the manner in which citizens who aren’t charged with a crime are mysteriously murdered of harassed and the system believed the cops until video surfaced. .

There are many other causes you can ask Airbnb to support, but outside criticism of a systemic problem most of you don’t have to worry about in your daily lives is offensive. And if the only thing you know about the problem is whatever sound bite the news provides in its attempt to get ratings, then you are not part of the solution.

A man was murdered on video. He is one of many. A woman was shot in her own home by police looking for a criminal that not only didn’t live there but who was already in jail. A 14 year old was shot by a cop for just playing in the park—-a cop fired from his previous job. A pro tennis player was roughed up by a cop while talking on his phone because he “looked” like he might be a suspect. And recently cops pepper sprayed a legislator who was attending a peaceful protest.

soo...feel free to ask Airbnb to give to other causes but I’m not in agreement that after almost 100 years of police brutality we have to all get along and combine forces to fix all prejudice for all races.

We’re sick and tired of sharing the platform only to shoved to the back and missing the train after everyone else has boarded.

And ashamed that a platform that depends on social connections shoves money at a problem as a publicity stunt, but creates policies that hurt hosts and guests in the process.

I would rather Airbnb fix its own flaws first.