Building and Improving the Superhost Program

Airbnb
Official Account

Building and Improving the Superhost Program

Superhost Criteria.jpg

As our global host community grows and becomes increasingly diverse, Airbnb’s programmes and policies need to grow and adapt as well – both to ensure the success of people from all over the world, and to show our appreciation for hosts’ hard work and amazing hospitality. That’s why we’re updating the Superhost programme to make it more fair, inclusive, and valuable to hosts everywhere.

Review rates

Great reviews are essential to earning Superhost status. They also help create a community where trust and transparency is shared between guests and hosts. But, hosts can’t control whether or not their guests choose to leave a review. After examining global data and speaking with Superhosts in a number of countries, we discovered that review rates aren’t consistent worldwide – some travellers always leave reviews, while others rarely do. This discrepancy can put some hosts at a disadvantage when it comes to consideration for Superhost status. In order to make the evaluation process more fair for everyone in our global community, we’ll no longer require that hosts have at least a 50% review rate in order to become Superhosts (or retain their existing status).

Cancellation policy

As part of our effort to make sure Airbnb programmes are built to meet the needs of all hosts, we’re also updating our cancellation requirement. Previously, we required that Superhosts have zero cancellations, but for hosts with an extremely high volume of bookings across multiple listings, that standard is impractical. To make the programme more fair for high-volume hosts, we’re now allowing one cancellation per 100 trips booked over the past year, which means a cancellation rate of less than 1% across all of your listings. It’s important to note that we still take cancellation as seriously as ever. Over the past five years, the Superhost community has worked hard to earn the trust of their guests and we will continue to reward that trust by recognising the most reliable hosts with Superhost status.

Both the changes to our cancellation and review requirements will take effect on the 1 July quarterly Superhost assessment. We’ll also be updating hosting dashboards at this time to reflect this new criteria.

Stay tuned 

We’re committed to continually improving the Superhost programme so that it works for the entire host community. That includes using clear, fair qualification criteria and making it valuable for every Superhost. From the overall design of the programme to how it rewards the community, we’re looking at different ways to not only make your hosting experience more positive, but also help you be more successful. So, please stay tuned, there’s a lot of exciting news to come.

674 Replies 674

discussions with Airbnb support regarding such reviews is a waste of time.
Frustrating, unprofessional, unfair - you name it!

What does Airbnb actually want? Annoyed hosts?

Revenge reviews are no good for the American company, either!

absolutely true!

I agree . Airbnb always is on the side of the guests..and we are the ones putting our properties on the line and doing all the work. Our only tool is to give low score reviews for our guests ... I never was too  hard on them and I put with uncleaned beds and toilets ..but I'm sick or nitty pickers and now I do it. It seems that the better reviews you have the more this "people" trying to find something wrong. 

I agreed with you 100%

I lost my super host status after a guest commented  hair in the bath tub but he never mentioned all the hair he cut in the room and left in the shelves and table. So, I belief the hair in the tub was all his.. Is very frustrating.  .  

Same happened with me today and I was awestruck....Now after connecting with you people, I came to know that this happens with everyone. And they give 1 star and that troubles me that where is my fault?

Same happened to me last week.

Beverley22
Level 2
Tierpoort, South Africa

Better than having curtains for sheets!!!!

hahahahaha!

Now that is unreasonable. Reasoning alone should let Airbnb know that no ones uses shower curtains for sheets. That alone should raise suspicion to their review. Airbnb say's it can't erase those reviews but they can they choose not to and hat is not fair.

Guests who make untrue statements like that should be made accountable for providing proof via (Photos) that you used curtains and not sheets. And if they couldn't provide that then the Host should not be penalised. What's the use we can all stand on our heads and say all what's unfair but at the end no one is the host's corner 

@Manik1  I agree they should provide more proof to justify their claims, or at least give the host opportunity to prove that it wasn't the case!

DocNdoro

Sue for defamation of character 🙂 

@Emilia42   Happened to me too. Guest came with wife who didn't even want to get into the apartment. Apparently they were coming from another Airbnb where they had had bad experience. The negativity was palpable when they arrived, started complaining about things that are clearly mentioned in the description and in pictures; demanded to have storage space in my garage. Then wanted full refund. I refused and they threatened verbally to leave a bad review if they didn't get a full refund. Eventually left after 3 hours of trying to intimidate me, but i stood my ground.. Left garbage in my clean apartment; disheveled my beds letting their kid jump up and down and i discovered weeks later that they also stole my Dyson vac in the garage where they had asked to have space!! Airbnb said they did break their policy which I said they did because the "didn't experience" a stay with us which is Airbnb criteria for a review and I said a 3hr observation is not an experience! Left a one star review and I lost my super host status...& haven't recovered because we mostly do long-term guests and haven't had enough guests to increase our ratings in that listing!!

DocNdoro

I received an untrue review and I talked to customer service about it. After pleading my case they decided to remove it. I hope you're able to get a good rep that will listen to your case.