Building and Improving the Superhost Program

Airbnb
Official Account

Building and Improving the Superhost Program

Superhost Criteria.jpg

As our global host community grows and becomes increasingly diverse, Airbnb’s programmes and policies need to grow and adapt as well – both to ensure the success of people from all over the world, and to show our appreciation for hosts’ hard work and amazing hospitality. That’s why we’re updating the Superhost programme to make it more fair, inclusive, and valuable to hosts everywhere.

Review rates

Great reviews are essential to earning Superhost status. They also help create a community where trust and transparency is shared between guests and hosts. But, hosts can’t control whether or not their guests choose to leave a review. After examining global data and speaking with Superhosts in a number of countries, we discovered that review rates aren’t consistent worldwide – some travellers always leave reviews, while others rarely do. This discrepancy can put some hosts at a disadvantage when it comes to consideration for Superhost status. In order to make the evaluation process more fair for everyone in our global community, we’ll no longer require that hosts have at least a 50% review rate in order to become Superhosts (or retain their existing status).

Cancellation policy

As part of our effort to make sure Airbnb programmes are built to meet the needs of all hosts, we’re also updating our cancellation requirement. Previously, we required that Superhosts have zero cancellations, but for hosts with an extremely high volume of bookings across multiple listings, that standard is impractical. To make the programme more fair for high-volume hosts, we’re now allowing one cancellation per 100 trips booked over the past year, which means a cancellation rate of less than 1% across all of your listings. It’s important to note that we still take cancellation as seriously as ever. Over the past five years, the Superhost community has worked hard to earn the trust of their guests and we will continue to reward that trust by recognising the most reliable hosts with Superhost status.

Both the changes to our cancellation and review requirements will take effect on the 1 July quarterly Superhost assessment. We’ll also be updating hosting dashboards at this time to reflect this new criteria.

Stay tuned 

We’re committed to continually improving the Superhost programme so that it works for the entire host community. That includes using clear, fair qualification criteria and making it valuable for every Superhost. From the overall design of the programme to how it rewards the community, we’re looking at different ways to not only make your hosting experience more positive, but also help you be more successful. So, please stay tuned, there’s a lot of exciting news to come.

674 Replies 674

I think we have all had that one "bad" review... I had a couple stay at my apart... I have a dog.. The listing says dog on premises. I ask all the guests when they arrive if they are ok with the dog. If they are not I can keep him on the other side of the house.. They said the dog was ok.  Regardless, my dog was almost never near them.  They saw me take him for a walk and he dipped his paw in the pool...(They were no where near us I may add.) Then in the review they wrote how disgusting it was that the dog was in the pool as they "only" came for the pool and then they could not use it.. I might add the woman went all over the garden in just her underwear(nothing else) every single day. They saw the dog in the pool the very last day...   So I´m stuck with the review that leads people to believe that the dog is doing laps in the pool... 

I've been with AIRBNB for 8 years, and have been a Superhost on and off (I now have 7 listings on my property).  You can only do your best, you can't please everyone.  Some people are just looking for a chance to be mean, and being in host/service position gives them a great opportunity.  I encountered one of those this winter; not worth being upset about.

I am sure that this happens frequently as there are folks who seem to live to complain.  I agree, just do your best and most of your reviews will be honest and complimentary.  You cannot please everyone...and these differences is what makes the world go around.

absolutely true.  Got guest recently who moans practically everything and wants host to agree to all she asked for.  

I agree, Lauren, as a host I've realized that I must not take it personally...however, it does feel like Airbnb does not have our back sometimes! I am starting my fourth year as a host and now have 2 listings on my property.

overall, I feel pretty good about AIRBNB, considering how fast they became a multi national corporation.  I call them personally in San Francisco when I have  problem, and that seems the best way to sort things out.  They have rules about reviews that are character assassination or unfair, just point that out and they usually change it.  But........AIRBNB has changed, and I do think people expect unreasonable things now....5 star accommodations for 25.00 a night!  I don't like the level of expectation now, it has lost the homey feeling.

After 8 years, and now an enclave of 4 tiny houses and 4 rooms in the house, a wonderful community experience and a beautiful garden and inexpensive rates............I am thinking its time to just get permanent roomates.  What has helped me, since I live here and care about people, is that I mostly just take long term guests  30 days or more, and i will not accept a reservation without an introduction and/or a really good profile.  This is how mostly I have had long term guests who became friends.   I am NOT A MOTEL.  This is a home with intelligent, creative, caring people.  Know who you are renting to, exchange conversation with them, and don't settle for less.  No amount of money is worth it.

I agree, it is important as hosts that we screen out our guests, I've had a few guests that just at the enquiry stage show that they will be a bit difficult.  I sometimes also make a point of letting guests know that it is my home and I live there and rent it out when I travel.  so yes, my things will be around, there may be food in the freezer if I'm only away for a short trip etc.  Several people then said they didn't want to book somewhere where the host actually lives 🙂  In many ways lots of people are now seeing it as quasi hotels cos of the people who have properties that are solely Airbnb rentals. 

Yasmin2
Level 7
West Ballina, Australia

Sometimes a so called bad review amoungst all the amazing appreciating reviews become insignificant in the scheme of things. I have had the rare negative review and they were complete lies and it yet gives us the opportunity to redeem ourselves without putting the other down, rather stand up for our position and its good to see what we can learn from the situation and occasionally respond from that perspective, no prefection!

@Yasmin2 thats so true it matters not in the grant scheme of things. I had a very sweet guest who after reading an untrue review where the previous guest claimed we had not windows in our apartment went out of his way to mention that there were 4 windows bringing plenty of light and fresh air! Bless his generosity and support!

DocNdoro

@Lauren18 That is so true. But it hurts when you put your heart into giving them an exceptional experience and then they give a bad review that's unjustified, or lie, or try to game you for a refund or maltreat your property! I noticed that one of my listings, (that got hit with a 1 star, then the next guest took advantage of it by trying to get a partial refund) is now being compared to on Airbnb to "similar" listings  in the area that are not even comparable in the amenities or comforts they offer and are charging a fraction of our minimum Smart price. So I unlisted the Apartment for now because I don't want budget guests who won't care or appreciate our efforts.

DocNdoro

After 8 years, and now an enclave of 4 tiny houses and 4 rooms in the house, a wonderful community experience and a beautiful garden and inexpensive rates............I am thinking its time to just get permanent roomates.  What has helped me, since I live here and care about people, is that I mostly just take long term guests  30 days or more, and i will not accept a reservation without an introduction and/or a really good profile.  This is how mostly I have had long term guests who became friends.   I am NOT A MOTEL.  This is a home with intelligent, creative, caring people.  Know who you are renting to, exchange conversation with them, and don't settle for less.  No amount of money is worth it.

That’s awful. 

@Jessica1533 what a clever doggle!

we had a similar problem, guest never read the listing, arrived surprised "oh you have a dog" - actually we have three, marked us badly on cleanliness purely because there are dogs here, although everyone else has 5 starred us as "spotless" and even messaged us to say he wasn't a "doggy" person.  Previous guests that month had commented on how well behaved our dogs are, so this guy obviously didn't read reviews on the first page.

Same gentleman also marked us down on "location" despite photos inside out of the window, outside and aerial view, google streetview photos and accurate times and distances to all facilities. 

It only annoyed us because he was only our fifth guest, so low stars had quite an impact overall.

An Airbnb first-timer as well.

Robin436
Level 3
County Limerick, Ireland

Hi Kevin,

Good to read your comments.Yes it's quite a steep learning curve for new Hosts and it is said that time is a great healer (which it is).

A new host always (I think) goes to great lengths in providing a fantastic experience for his/her guests and I have found that to be rewarding with very few problem reviews. I have found, however, that where I have gone way over the top with assistance and extra help I haven't received a review at all. These would be from primarily younger guests who haven't yet discovered or learned what constitutes acceptable behaviour!

One thing I have done is to introduce a Visitors Book, which came about by accident when I discovered an old one from years back. I leave it in plain sight in the dining room so guests having breakfast already expect me to ask for their email. Mostly they are really surprised at the volume and superlative nature of the entries .This,for me, is as important as the Airbnb reviews and is a good indication of what will appear on-site.This gives  me a good-soup-glow feeling immediately after guests leave and makes the extra effort really worthwhile.

The problem with many guests is that they don't read the House Rules which can then come back to bite them. Mostly Airbnb newbie guests seem to think that an Airbnb  listing is the same as an Hotel with 24 -7 service and facilities.

I wish you great success and less of the problematic guests

Regards Robin. (15 month Superhost with 38 different Nationalities to crow about!)