Building and Improving the Superhost Program

Airbnb
Official Account

Building and Improving the Superhost Program

Superhost Criteria.jpg

As our global host community grows and becomes increasingly diverse, Airbnb’s programmes and policies need to grow and adapt as well – both to ensure the success of people from all over the world, and to show our appreciation for hosts’ hard work and amazing hospitality. That’s why we’re updating the Superhost programme to make it more fair, inclusive, and valuable to hosts everywhere.

Review rates

Great reviews are essential to earning Superhost status. They also help create a community where trust and transparency is shared between guests and hosts. But, hosts can’t control whether or not their guests choose to leave a review. After examining global data and speaking with Superhosts in a number of countries, we discovered that review rates aren’t consistent worldwide – some travellers always leave reviews, while others rarely do. This discrepancy can put some hosts at a disadvantage when it comes to consideration for Superhost status. In order to make the evaluation process more fair for everyone in our global community, we’ll no longer require that hosts have at least a 50% review rate in order to become Superhosts (or retain their existing status).

Cancellation policy

As part of our effort to make sure Airbnb programmes are built to meet the needs of all hosts, we’re also updating our cancellation requirement. Previously, we required that Superhosts have zero cancellations, but for hosts with an extremely high volume of bookings across multiple listings, that standard is impractical. To make the programme more fair for high-volume hosts, we’re now allowing one cancellation per 100 trips booked over the past year, which means a cancellation rate of less than 1% across all of your listings. It’s important to note that we still take cancellation as seriously as ever. Over the past five years, the Superhost community has worked hard to earn the trust of their guests and we will continue to reward that trust by recognising the most reliable hosts with Superhost status.

Both the changes to our cancellation and review requirements will take effect on the 1 July quarterly Superhost assessment. We’ll also be updating hosting dashboards at this time to reflect this new criteria.

Stay tuned 

We’re committed to continually improving the Superhost programme so that it works for the entire host community. That includes using clear, fair qualification criteria and making it valuable for every Superhost. From the overall design of the programme to how it rewards the community, we’re looking at different ways to not only make your hosting experience more positive, but also help you be more successful. So, please stay tuned, there’s a lot of exciting news to come.

674 Replies 674

@Elizabeth1903 It is true that any guest can attempt to book with you unless they are formally blocked whether you have instant book enabled or not. BUT when you review a guest and you check "No, would not host again" that prevents the guest from instant booking with you in the future. Apparently, according to your conversation with CS, only if you have the Recommended by Other Hosts requirement set. I am skeptical of that "fact." Do you have the requirement? If you do and the guest attempts to book again their booking will come through as a REQUEST which you will likely decline. 

This recently happened to me:

In March 2020 a guest instant books and stays. He leaves a big mess, and I wrote a factual review and clicked Would not host again.

In January 2021 the guest doesn't get the hint and tries to book again. 

He can no longer instant book so I get his request. I decline the request based on my last experience hosting him.

I am not sure if I had the recommendation requirement set at that time as I go back and forth with settings periodically. 

But regardless you should still leave an honest and factual review. It would surely help your case with CS if a guest goes have the option to book again and you want to cancel the reservation.

@Sarah977 

Emilia42, Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience! At the moment I have no requirements set for instant book, but based on the info you and Sarah977 provided, I'm giving it some serious thought. Thanks again.

@Elizabeth1903  If you are going to use IB, it is crucial that you use those settings. They are designed to protect hosts who get IB bookings, as you don't have the opportunity to check out a guest's reviews or communicate with them before accepting their booking. 

Why would you want a guest who has no recommendations, no reviews and no verified ID to be able to book your place without approval?

Sarah977, I have to agree with you and that is exactly how I plan to proceed. Thanks for generously and patiently sharing your wisdom and experience with me. I feel so much more in control now.

Simon3237
Level 1
Liverpool, United Kingdom

I've been a Superhost for quite a while. I let out my home only when I travel. Over the last two years, I haven't travelled much and I may not again until later this year. However, I have been told that I will lose my Superhost status on April 1st unless I let my home several more times in the next few weeks, which I cannot do because I live here.

This is incredibly unfair and seems to me to be penalising anyone like myself who puts their home on Airbnb. This is not a business to me. It's useful way of getting income to allow me to travel. If I don't make my home available for a few months, it won't stop me being a superb host when I do. But under the current rules, I won't be a Superhost when I do make it available.

I'd be interested in other Superhosts' thoughts on this.  I do not want my Superhost status to be lost just because I let out my home when I want to travel.

Ross634
Level 2
Morton, Australia

Superhost - bah!

We just lost our Superhost status. Not really a big deal, I know - but very annoying. Too many cancellations. In the last year we cancelled 3 bookings. In 2 cases we had to cancel because we were legally unable to host (due to Covid-19 lockdown restrictions). I don't think we should be penalized for those, but apparently AirBnB thinks differently. The last cancellation was because a flash flood washed out the bridge to our property. This does not constitute "extenuating circumstances" so we get penalized for that as well.

I think AirBnB could perhaps show some flexibility here. After fires, Covid, and then floods, we have certainly had to!

Diane765
Level 2
Livingston Manor, NY

I must say, I am a little concerned how the guest seems to have the , "upper hand",  with the new refund policy and the ability to retaliate in reviews. If it was not for people offering there homes , Airbnb would only have of there business. We do give them money for listing our homes.

I had a guest, that rated me 5 stars all the way. However, she rated me overall 4 stars. How is that even possible? The rating stood.

I had another guest that allowed his children to smear chocolate  all over the freshly painted walls, and furniture. My dryer was full of mud.

I have vaulted ceilings.  The father was very tall and allowed his child with dirty feet walk on the walls and ceiling, like out of a horror movie. What a mess. I sent Airbnb pictures. I was told that I was an extortionist when I asked for additional cleaning fees by the guest. Airbnb did take down the review when he was a repeat customer rating me a five down to a one only because of the word "extortionist". The guest sent me 25.00 additional when Airbnb pressed him to work it out with me. It was an insult.

HI Diane!! Airbnb personnel sometime told me that if i had a receipt from a professional cleaner for extra cleaning needed , then i would be paid that money from them.

Also i just got this critic from a psycho guest 3 star in overall and in different sections it was all 5 star except one4 star.

I think Airbnb protect us somehow especially from new customers guests that have strange critics.

This is what i conclude after 3 year of hosting.

But overall, customer is paying and if he is not a pain in the ass, we want to earn money from our work, so we can try avoid their negative behavior and find a better way to protect our property. Like study more carefully the guest recommendation.

HI Diane!! Airbnb personnel sometime told me that if i had a receipt from a professional cleaner for extra cleaning needed , then i would be paid that money from them.

Also i just got this critic from a psycho guest 3 star in overall and in different sections it was all 5 star except one4 star.

I think Airbnb protect us somehow especially from new customers guests that have strange critics.

This is what i conclude after 3 year of hosting.

But overall, customer is paying and if he is not a pain in the ass, we want to earn money from our work, so we can try avoid their negative behavior and find a better way to protect our property. Like study more carefully the guest recommendation.

Margo12
Level 10
Cutten, CA

Yep - Guests rule the roost on Airbnb.  I am super-pleased with the advertising the other (major) company is doing.  I am getting MANY more reservations from that platform. Sometimes I've even discounted my pricing on that website & raised my rate on Airbnb.  Many Guests do have both accounts; they pick the cheapest. 

The Plan is working!!  I will get away from Airbnb this year.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Airbnb wrote:

Superhost Criteria.jpg

As our global host community grows and becomes increasingly diverse, Airbnb’s programmes and policies need to grow and adapt as well – both to ensure the success of people from all over the world, and to show our appreciation for hosts’ hard work and amazing hospitality. That’s why we’re updating the Superhost programme to make it more fair, inclusive, and valuable to hosts everywhere.

Review rates

Great reviews are essential to earning Superhost status. They also help create a community where trust and transparency is shared between guests and hosts. But, hosts can’t control whether or not their guests choose to leave a review. After examining global data and speaking with Superhosts in a number of countries, we discovered that review rates aren’t consistent worldwide – some travellers always leave reviews, while others rarely do. This discrepancy can put some hosts at a disadvantage when it comes to consideration for Superhost status. In order to make the evaluation process more fair for everyone in our global community, we’ll no longer require that hosts have at least a 50% review rate in order to become Superhosts (or retain their existing status).

Cancellation policy

As part of our effort to make sure Airbnb programmes are built to meet the needs of all hosts, we’re also updating our cancellation requirement. Previously, we required that Superhosts have zero cancellations, but for hosts with an extremely high volume of bookings across multiple listings, that standard is impractical. To make the programme more fair for high-volume hosts, we’re now allowing one cancellation per 100 trips booked over the past year, which means a cancellation rate of less than 1% across all of your listings. It’s important to note that we still take cancellation as seriously as ever. Over the past five years, the Superhost community has worked hard to earn the trust of their guests and we will continue to reward that trust by recognising the most reliable hosts with Superhost status.

Both the changes to our cancellation and review requirements will take effect on the 1 July quarterly Superhost assessment. We’ll also be updating hosting dashboards at this time to reflect this new criteria.

Stay tuned 

We’re committed to continually improving the Superhost programme so that it works for the entire host community. That includes using clear, fair qualification criteria and making it valuable for every Superhost. From the overall design of the programme to how it rewards the community, we’re looking at different ways to not only make your hosting experience more positive, but also help you be more successful. So, please stay tuned, there’s a lot of exciting news to come.

hello from 2022, I'm somewhat new here, have there been any changes since 2019?

No, not really.  As always, a lot of "wow - aren't we great" with absolutely zero comprehension of the Host experience.

Want to change something meaningful?  Then don't allow guests who have not even stepped foot on the property to leave a 1-star review.  Guests lie about not being able to get into their rental, Airbnb cancels and refunds their money - despite a non-refundable policy, and the Guest makes it impossible for a Host to ever get to SuperHost status.

Want to change something meaningful?  Then don't count a cancellation against a Host when the GUEST cancels.  Airbnb FORCES Hosts to have a free-cancellation period and then demotes Hosts when a Guest books multiple places and cancels when they make up their mind on where to go.

Want to change something meaningful?  Then just TRY.

And stop making a big deal about something that doesn't actually matter.

But, really, I don't care.  VRBO's marketing campaign is working.  I'm getting nearly 80% of my rentals from that platform now.  

@Margo12 

I don't think the cancellation rate is a problem. I've had guests cancel plenty of times, and I still have a 0% cancellation rate, it doesn't affect my stats. Am I missing something? 

I got rid of the 10% discount for non-refundable cancellation. I found guests were all choosing that, and then coming to me with sob stories about why they needed to cancel, wanting a full refund anyway. And generally I am fine with it, esp for a Thurs-Sun night, I will rebook it in most cases, but i got sick of having guests wanting their cake and eating it too. So I scrapped that option. I have the moderate policy, 5 days is ok with me. 

i have no experience of vrbo, it's not popular in australia. 

Kevin129
Level 6
Hove, United Kingdom

@Stephanie  @Catherine-Powell  @Emilie 

Hi Guys, 

As the superhost notification just came through I thought I chuck a plea into this thread although I have mentioned this on another thread:

Since the update in May, guests don’t see my Superhost badge on the page of listings results when a search is performed. Having raised this with customer service (when the update was implemented) this is because I have a “Rare find” tag on my listings and this takes priority over “Superhost”.

Guests don’t know this quirk of the platform and when they see a listing tagged with “Superhost” next to mine without the tag they will naturally assume that I am not a superhost.  Really the platform design does not make sense here.

Can i suggest these alternatives:

1. Show both.

2. Prioritise “Superhost” rather than “Rare find”.  Surely it is more important to guests than the fact that the listing is frequently booked.

3. Give hosts the option of which they would rather display on their listings.

4. Give guests the option of which they would rather see displayed.

4. Create a tag with “Superhost/rare find”.

5. Get rid of “Rare find” altogether if both can’t be displayed.

Any of these options would I think be more appropriate that the current design.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Kevin

Jamie206
Level 10
Pooler, GA

Doesn't seem like we even need to bother talking about the superhost program or reviews anymore. We'll all be out of business soon, as far as, airbnb is concerned. The "summer update", people, hello! Zero bookings and airbnb management seems completely out to lunch.