Catherine’s Host Update: Extenuating circumstances policy update, and more news

Catherine’s Host Update: Extenuating circumstances policy update, and more news

Katie_0-1633365625152.jpeg

Hi everyone, 

I’m back to share a new Host Update that covers a topic I know is very important to you and your business: booking cancelations. This week, we’re announcing important updates to Airbnb’s extenuating circumstances policy, which reflect both the latest COVID-safety guidance from our medical advisory team, and valuable feedback from Hosts like you.

We’re also launching a new test to learn whether including fees in listing search results could help guests book more easily and have a positive impact on your hosting business. 

And finally, my update includes some news about Airbnb.org’s commitment to providing temporary stays for Afghan refugees as well as heartfelt thanks to the thousands of Hosts who have contributed to this effort through donations and by opening their homes. Thanks to the incredible generosity and hospitality of our community, Airbnb.org now has the capacity to help an additional 20,000 people above and beyond our initial 20,000-stay commitment. There are still plenty of opportunities to get involved if you’re interested in joining this wonderful effort—please visit Airbnb.org/refugees for details. 

As always, I welcome your thoughts on each of these topics. Thanks for all you do! Stay well and happy hosting.

Warmest wishes,

Catherine

20 Replies 20
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Welcome back @Catherine-Powell I thought you had left the business.

The chaotic, irreplaceable

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Good morning @Dale711 

I see you have all new listings on the system. I  wonder why!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Catherine-Powell and welcome back.

I hope you have had some great family time and your dog is giving you all much joy.

Will the testing out of including the fees in the price be as one price, or separately?

How will this look with our listings in the searches?
Will it show the overall price and a separate function for without the fees?

Which locations is this trial been carried out?

Thanks in advance

My listing is one of the listings being used in this new test.

My property is located on the east coast of USA. In the state of Massachusetts.

It hasn't caused me any trouble,

I received a booking almost immediately.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Deb216  would you please be so kind to elaborate a little more about what this trial involves?
Thanks from New Zealand...where we are missing all you lovely International tourists in our lives.

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

Hello, @Helen427!

Honestly, I discovered the new trial when I happened to search my area to see my competitors prices. I suddenly noticed my own listing's price was higher than normal. So I went to the Community Center and read the Airbnb Updates section.

I believe Airbnb has made it more clear for Guests to see the total cost 'upfront'.

The nightly rate plus the cleaning fee (if applicable), plus taxes, plus Airbnb's Guest's Fee...and now the public sees the grand total.  Please don't quote me but I believe that is what appears now when a Guest searches for a stay. 

Wishing you continued success!

@Helen427,

I found the Airbnb explanation. Go to the Resource Center. Look for the subject title "Why your nightly rate may look different".

Best, Deb

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Deb216 I just edited your previous comments to tag Helen and ensure she saw your replies. Thank you

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Nick , but then you forgot to tag me!!

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Thanks for the Update.

Regarding the fees. Isn't this already the case in Europe? All fees are icluded in the price as per EU and UK law?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

This is a great action @Catherine-Powell. I have had new guests who have been upset by the *add-ons*. So this is a

positive step. Thank you for being here and for the update! 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I understand the option for guests to cancel under COVID extenuating circumstances (guest is infected) is  under the new policy only possible if check-in is within 14 days from date of infection ? But who checks the "date of infection" ?

@Emiel1  As I understand it, if a guest can show proof of a positive Covid test, they can cancel.  I haven't seen anything about the date when the test has to be shown.  

This just happened to me - I had a guest cancel 3 days before check in for a 10-day reservation by emailing Airbnb a positive Covid test.  I have a strict cancellation policy and I told the guest I would try to rebook the dates and refund them for any dates that were booked by others.  This feels fair to me.  But the guest went around me and went to Airbnb, who refunded their entire amount.  I lost thousands of dollars in an instant and now I have no time to get another booking to replace it.   If this is Airbnb's policy, why don't they pay the cost of the refund to the host?  Why are we the hosts (once again) asked to bear ALL the cost on this??