Catherine’s Host Update: reviews, party ban policy, and more

Catherine’s Host Update: reviews, party ban policy, and more

BeloRauschBG (1).png

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to be sharing a new Host update with you, which has important news about a topic I know is top of mind for many of you—reviews—along with news from our Host Advisory Board, about sustainability and introducing a new board member. (Welcome to the board, Pam!)

We’ve been listening closely to your feedback on our review system—specifically to how they relate to our party ban policy. For reviews written from today on, reviews from guests who violate our party ban will be eligible for removal. You shouldn’t have to trade off between reporting a party and getting dinged with a negative review. We want to close that gap. 

This is just the first step. We’ll continue to listen to you and work to shape our policies to better support you and our whole community. 

I’ll be in touch again soon with more updates. In the meantime, stay well, and happy hosting!

All my best,

Catherine

215 Replies 215

Hi @Pam5 @Catherine-Powell 

Ways to go! All the best to HAB members!Ways to go! All the best to HAB members!

Pam5
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Malindi, Kenya

@Dale711  Thank you so much 

PamG

Hi @Pam5,

You’re very welcome! 

Ways to go! Thank youWays to go! Thank you

Patricia2156
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

I understand can have some hard situation, due this update it's a great news to solve them! 

We must continue doing the first step: being a good host!

Patricia de Castro
Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

That’s a great start!

I hope Airbnb now follows through with an overhaul of the review process, giving guests, hosts, homeowners and housekeepers the ability to rate on areas that foster higher quality visitors, and better properties. Feel free to email me directly for specific ideas that will move this needle. 

Margo12
Level 10
Cutten, CA

While retaliatory reviews will still stand (yes 'devil in details'), Airbnb REMOVED POSITIVE REVIEWS from my account - without even consulting me.  Why?  All I can tell is that each Guest visit was at a very discounted rate.  Why?  Because I was trying to be a good person and let people in need (especially fire victims) have comfortable housing.  NOW, years later, Airbnb recognizes the importance of providing free or discounted stays ... but since I did it 3-4 years ago Airbnb removes those reviews????

@Margo12  Wow! Airbnb logic has always been unlogical

Yes, theyve done that to me as well.

I just had one such removed myself.

The review removed was from a family friend I wanted to get into using Airbnb. So I signed her up and removed my costs yet still ensuring that she paid the Airbnb fee.

I could easily have just blocked my calendar, as I have for her in the past, and let her stay the night.

Doing this encouraged her to try out Airbnb - she loves, LOVES, staying at The Crown, and I really would like to see her stay at other Airbnb’s.

Anyways, lesson learned. Don’t sign up any family or friends to Airbnb - just block the calendar.

What concerns me most about your situation though @Margo12, is that you’re being pinged for being charitable.

I allow my place to be placed into raffle draws or as an auctioned prize for not-for-profit rescues four times per year - we’ve factored in that this is the most we can afford.
When someone has won the weekend away, I’m notified by the rescue the winners details.

Part of the win is that the people who win it must signup with Airbnb. It is explained to them in advance that they will be required to signup and a small fee will be required to be paid by them for the cottage and they get to choose which weekend away they have from the available dates on my Airbnb calendar.

It goes down very well, the rescues raise a lot of money from it, and the cottage is usually the biggest donation they have and becomes a draw card for that rescues fund-raiser.

1. Airbnb obtains new guests.
  2. Airbnb gets free advertising (as do I) at the rescues event.
  3. It’s a win-win situation for Airbnb, the rescue and myself as host.
  4. we often end up with more repeating guests from this.
  5. ‘We also obtain new guests that didn’t win - they wanted to stay so badly, that they look it up, join and book.

Suffice to say, I don’t understand why, when Airbnb are so inclusive, that they don’t have a ‘donation’ button in the area where we change the costs. 
It could include an explanation for the donation, allowing anyone from Airbnb to check it out further if required.

A simple solution to my mind.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️

YES!!  @Deborah82   I have made the same sort of donations.  I don't require people book online, but that is a good idea.

Oh WAIT.  Yes, it might be a good idea ... but NOT on Airbnb!!!!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

This is terrific @Deborah82 

Might copy you and offer wins for horse rescues. Love it and thank you so much for what you're doing. Is it all species that you help?

Hope your brilliant suggestions to Airbnb are followed up too. If there's anything I can do please let me know xxxxxxxx

That would be awesome of you @Mary996.

As I’m a cat rescuer/foster Carer, I mainly do cat rescues. There is one that I do which rescues all animals. As I can only do four a year, one is always for my own rescue, another as I mentioned is for a mixed rescue group, then the other two, I shuttle around the ones I see as being most needy with a good cause going. 

Occasionally, some will ask me, for example if they have something coming up for say Valentines Day, but for the most part it’s Myself that reaches out and makes the offer.

I always ensure that they have the following:

1.  A link to my Airbnb page.
  2. They must notify (either at the auction or raffle) that the winner if not a current Airbnb member, they must join.
  3. The winner to choose a weekend of their choosing using the dates available from the Airbnb calendar. 
  4. A small fee, maximum of $15 will be required to pay Airbnb’s fee.
  5. House rules must be adhered too (for example, I have no parties, not pets and no children under 12 as mine).

Thats it really. Just ensure that your first photo in your hosted place is the best one as it comes up in the link you share. Good luck!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for your inspiring reply @Deborah82 . I am really pleased to meet you and will give this matter further thought but know that you have created a 'blue print' in my mind for possible virtuous action which of course increases your virtue and good karma many fold because of your good intention. Thank you so much for your kindness in all respects xx

I wonder if the Admins @Liv @Stephanie @Quincy   (how many Admins are there and how should we make such requests of you?) might be able to retain this for future reference by others with similar noble intentions???? 

It was a pleasure to meet a like-minded soul to be honest.

I am also a huge believer in karma. I’ve seen it in action many, many times and am myself most grateful to it’s power. Now I sound like a complete nutter. Lol.

Anyhoo, good luck with your endeavours❣️

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Deborah82 was this for me?