Catherine’s Host Update: reviews, party ban policy, and more

Catherine’s Host Update: reviews, party ban policy, and more

BeloRauschBG (1).png

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to be sharing a new Host update with you, which has important news about a topic I know is top of mind for many of you—reviews—along with news from our Host Advisory Board, about sustainability and introducing a new board member. (Welcome to the board, Pam!)

We’ve been listening closely to your feedback on our review system—specifically to how they relate to our party ban policy. For reviews written from today on, reviews from guests who violate our party ban will be eligible for removal. You shouldn’t have to trade off between reporting a party and getting dinged with a negative review. We want to close that gap. 

This is just the first step. We’ll continue to listen to you and work to shape our policies to better support you and our whole community. 

I’ll be in touch again soon with more updates. In the meantime, stay well, and happy hosting!

All my best,

Catherine

215 Replies 215

Hi @Jytte0,

You’re right! 

‘I  think this is a very good step in the right direction. Hosting is fluid, and we all live, learn and evolve.......’ 

Things are moving in exciting new directions.👍

Salute from Paris,

Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

@Catherine-Powell Why is this limited to guests who have "parties"? Why not any significant situation in which guests break house rules or Government Health guidelines/ requirements? 

Airbnb trumpets "your house, your rules", but they simply do not support hosts in removing (ideally preventing in the first place) outlier, retaliatory reviews when guests are called out if/ when a significant issue arises. 

For example; "only booked/ registered guests allowed - no 'visitors'" is a very reasonable house rule which we have agreed to with Building Management- it minimises issues with noise, security issues where neighbours within the building are concerned (let's be honest, since Airbnb doesn't share ID details, we're simply crossing our fingers that Airbnb has ensured our guests are who they say they are - unknown 'visitors' invited in by booked guests are a step too far), and ensures guests are "living like locals" within the local community, rather than booking to have a party. This also supports our current Australian Government COVID19 contact tracing requirements amidst the ongoing global pandemic. 

It would be great if Airbnb would support us, and not allow guests who break this house rule to leave an obviously outlier, retaliatory review at all!

Airbnb, please try to understand that we are among those hosts proactively doing everything we can for many, many years to ensure that our guests don't impact negatively on our local neighbourhood...and to give Airbnb a GOOD name!

There is no need for a "party ban" if you have hosts pre-emptively setting crystal clear, reasonable expectations/ agreements with guests, to ensure that guests are a good "fit" for properties and vice versa....if Airbnb supports hosts when guests break this agreement.

Hi @Jo56,

Thank you so much for this comment. I totally understand what you're saying and want to let you know that this is just one of a number of changes we're making in this area. I will share your message with this team and we will use it to inform some of the decisions we're making going forward. Thank you again for taking the time to write such candid and honest feedback. I always appreciate it.

Best,
Catherine

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Catherine-Powell  And are you going to send out a memo to every CS rep that when hosts call to report a guest throwing a party, they are no longer to advise the host to just tell the guest to stop, or to let them stay, or that they aren't allowed to cancel the reservation without incurring penalties?

Your CS reps need to be responsible in supporting hosts who need to evict the bad guests before their home is trashed.

It is above all your house.Ring the police if it is out of control and at least get the extra people to go.

@Helen744  Definitely. Too many hosts seem to think they need Airbnb's permission to evict bad guests.

But that doesn't change the fact that Airbnb talks out of both sides of their mouth. They say no parties are allowed, but their CS reps caution hosts not to kick the guests out. 

That's just not okay.

Hi Sarah , I guess at the end of the day it is up to the host.I have a co host and it is just my bad luck that the worst guest ever and party friends chose the time he was away to give me hell. Things broken and rules broken . Drug and alchohol affected before turning up. I was just a problem they did not expect to see. I should have been braver but they cancelled pretty quick. I suggest that sometimes two heads are better than one and meeting the guests if you have not hosted them before.Otherwise the stress is too much, add a bad review and no money to that and a refund to the bad guest and it is pretty horrible.

4A7DEB1E-061C-4FED-95CC-31A5A2966FEF.jpeg

Sandi48
Level 9
Los Gatos, CA

This " party Ban" all came about because someone in AirBB backyard Oakland Ca had a rage of a party and someone got shot. This was almost two years ago!  Not much as changed 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Golly gosh. Thanks for that info @Sandi48 

@Mary996 @Sandi48 

yes, but 1 party shooting wasn't enough to trigger some anti-party changes. There were thousands of ABB trash parties, several shootings, and Airbnb was banned in many cities in the world.... all before the Orlando party shooting.

Jue0
Host Advisory Board Member
Nairobi, Kenya

@Catherine-Powell  Thank you for this important update. 

Firstly, I wish to Congratulate Pam on being  incorporated into the Host Advisory Board. As a fellow Kenyan Host, I am super proud and thrilled! Pam truly deserves this! She has been at the forefront for several years now, as our Ambassador and has helped define Airbnb here in Kenya. She was and continues to be instrumental in sharing pertinent info with newbie hosts and all hosts. She particularly helped me a lot when I started off 6 years ago to become the Host I am today. Kudos.! Jue Murugu, Community Leader, Nairobi Kenya

JMM

Hi @Jue0,

Thank you for your kind words about Pam, we're so lucky to have her on the Advisory Board.

Best,
Catherine

Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Catherine-Powell You are Welcome. Wishing the Team the very best. Jue

JMM
Jue0
Nairobi, Kenya

@Catherine-Powell Thank you for this Review Update. As an IB Host, I have been impacted negatively by guest who broke my rules on events, parties, and othrr excesses. I would urge Airbnb to closely vet guests on IB..The particular one in question has surprisingly a tainted record, easily discernable on google. This guest committed untold damage and even assault to my property. I am left shaken especially for my Security and that of my staff and family. I host on my family property.. I have been totally inclusive as a host and welcomed guests with utmost trust and warmth from all corners of the world. I have been smitten and left smacking by this unfortunate incident. Be cautious of this, fellow guests, as you might suffer a double tragedy., as I have. The Host Guarantee assurance isnt quite what it should be, especially in terms of damage and mess caused by these illegal parties and events, immediate and ongoing. I have learned the hard way! A Seasoned stellar host. Thought I would share. Thank you. Jue, Nairobi Kenya

JMM