Catherine’s Host Update: reviews, party ban policy, and more

Catherine’s Host Update: reviews, party ban policy, and more

BeloRauschBG (1).png

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to be sharing a new Host update with you, which has important news about a topic I know is top of mind for many of you—reviews—along with news from our Host Advisory Board, about sustainability and introducing a new board member. (Welcome to the board, Pam!)

We’ve been listening closely to your feedback on our review system—specifically to how they relate to our party ban policy. For reviews written from today on, reviews from guests who violate our party ban will be eligible for removal. You shouldn’t have to trade off between reporting a party and getting dinged with a negative review. We want to close that gap. 

This is just the first step. We’ll continue to listen to you and work to shape our policies to better support you and our whole community. 

I’ll be in touch again soon with more updates. In the meantime, stay well, and happy hosting!

All my best,

Catherine

215 Replies 215
Jo56
Level 10
Darlinghurst, Australia

Airbnb CS reps have a poor history of even knowing, let alone following through on Airbnb policies. 

Most hosts don't seem to realise that all policies are all backed up with disclaimers noting that CS reps can simply default to saying that they "don't believe" that policies have been violated.

"Additionally, reviews may be removed from the platform for stays where a significant violation of the Party and Events Policy has taken place."

MAY not WILL. One little word makes the world of difference @Catherine-Powell 

It is always exciting to hear about 'improvements'.  As an Airbnb share-holder and a host of more than twelve years, I am vested in my business and therefore Airbnb's business.  Having said that, I am really disheartened by hard realities;  Airbnb does not really seem to be much vested in hosts, from my vantage point.

I am not clear where these 'improvements' are being vetted.  They seem incredibly tone-deaf to the hosting reality.  In about two months, five of ten or so guest stays, have led to three resolution claims, one required police intervention.  Of the three claims, one hundred percent of them had Host Required Deposits.  Of the one hundred percent, Airbnb has funneled my resolution requests to overseas call centers, that do not seem able to even, remedially, read and understand the Airbnb TOS and/or Host House Rules and/or mitigate the Host Required Deposits.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I am so sorry that this has happened to you @Kasey45 .

Were you insured at all? This does seem to be vital.

Ana177
Level 2
Galveston, TX

As a 25x Superhost, I’m frustrated.  Several years ago, we had to fight for our economic lives in Galveston, thanks to 2 out of control party houses.  After negotiating a livable set of LDR’s with the city we had several years of peace & quiet.  Now, it’s happening again...thanks to an irresponsible AirBnb host.  They have their homes listed to rent on AirBnb for 28, 30, even 48 people!!!  One of their homes had a party for 200 broken up several weeks ago.  And now City Council is slamming down on us again.  I’ve reported the over occupancy homes to AirBnb numerous times since January, with no action.  How can we get AirBnb to enforce their own rules?

James411
Level 6
San Diego, CA

It is always exciting to hear about 'improvements'.  As an Airbnb share-holder and a host of more than twelve years, I am vested in my business and therefore Airbnb's business.  Having said that, I am really disheartened by hard realities;  Airbnb does not really seem to be much vested in hosts, from my vantage point.

I am not clear where these 'improvements' are being vetted.  They seem incredibly tone-deaf to the hosting reality.  In about two months, five guest stays, have led three resolution claims, one required police intervention.  Of the three claims, one hundred percent of them had Host Required Deposits.  And of the one hundred percent, Airbnb has funneled by resolution requests to overseas call centers, that do not seem able to even, remedially, read and understand the Airbnb TOS and/or Host House Rules and/or mitigate the Host Required Desposits.

Airbnb bullies hosts throughout the entirety of the 'Resolution Process'.  To be frank, from what I am reading in Airbnb Community threads and posts, no-one really cares about a 'one day button'.  What I am hearing, is the insane amount of disrespect shoveled onto hosts as their investments are vandalized, destroyed and worse.  

Hosts are having their homes and personal belongings, often, destroyed.  Hosts are then shipped to overseas call centers to be senselessly haggled and blatantly gaslit and bullied.  The Airbnb 'resolution team' should be populated with professionals educated in contractual law and/or claims practices.  Not self-appointed attorneys with less than no professionalism and education.  This is the area, in my opinion, Airbnb needs the most work.  

I have been with Airbnb for 8 years, I now list 26 properties with them, and I have been a Superhost for most of those years.

It is not just the claims process in which Airbnb disrespects hosts, and makes them jump through the hoops for even minor claims.

This is my situation:

I have different min stay rules that are clearly described on every property listing because Airbnb can only show one. There are BLOCK LETTER warnings at the top of every property listing so people will see this. I also have to do this because Airbnb FORCES ME to use Instant Booking because I use a channel manager. I cannot turn it off.

This is my problem with Airbnb staff and their decisions:

A guest recently made a booking that was clearly against my rules. He didn't read the information. I couldn't cancel the booking because I would lose my SuperHost status.

The guest refused to cancel,

Against several previous, similar decisions, Airbnb sided with the guest. Despite multiple reasons why they should not have, Airbnb refused to budge.

Airbnb treats their hosts with very little respect, and I and many people in the industry are getting tired of their unprofessional attitude towards their hosts who have made the investments in their properties. They are the ones who have most to lose; not the short-stay guests who shell out small amounts for a brief sample of what the hosts have spent hundreds of thousands on.

Wise up people.

I just saw a post on a different forum where the host is asking if they can allow buyers to view a property they want to put on the market even if it is fully booked.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

We suggested they cancel their guest reservations, or reserve a day that isn't booked for showings.

This isn't the first time I've seen this issue come up and Airbnb should set a policy for re-homing those guests and charging the host for the additional costs when this happens.  There need to be clear guidelines about people who book guests on Airbnb and then decide to sell their homes. Guests need notice and fair time to find comparable accommodations.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Thank you for coming in with such clarity on this issue @Christine615 . My goodness this is so appalling. But your proposed solution. PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I agree with this approach.  The guest should be warned that the property is for sale and there may be the need to allow buyers to come through however I don't expect that they would agree as that would mean a buyer may want to go into the room that's been booked and invade their privacy.  I imagine that if a buyer was coming through the property and could see that the room is occupied they would be aghast at the thought of going into that room!

Paige12
Level 3
Bay Harbor Islands, FL

@Catherine-PowellWho can we communicate at Airbnb to help us remove a negative review by a guest who's unauthorized party we had to intervene on? We have been passed from one rep. to another, day after day most all of which continue to keep turning us down and none of which acknowledge this new policy which we have brought up each time. We reported and  documented the party to/ with Airbnb soon after we broke it up but still the negative review remains!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Paige12 Has this been addressed to your satisfaction as yet??? 

John764
Level 3
Claude Road, Australia

The fundamental problem with guest behaviour is there is no recourse to them if they do the wrong thing. AirBnB’s shielding of guest identification from hosts means a guest can do anything they like with impunity.

Compare this with other booking platforms that provide guest name, address, phone number, email - these are all details that can be provided to police in order to bring immediate charges for vandalism, unlawful gathering, disturbing the peace etc.  without having to fight a foreign registered company to obtain the information. Guests have their own reputation and a meaningful risk of legal action when the host holds this information. 

Hosts need to know who is staying at their home. Automatically protecting guest privacy is counterproductive. We are giving access to our homes and property so it seems really fair to have transparency of who the primary responsible renting guest is, at a minimum. I go through the extra steps to make my booking guest supply valid photo ID and complete my rental agreement. So, for about 90% of my guests I know their current mailing address, email and cell number. That helps me feel protected in the event I need to get in contact with them for damages.

Hello Yvonne41.  I agree, it is the host's right to know who the person is who's coming into their home.  When you book into motels and other commercial accommodation they expect to see photo ID on check-in so they can verify you although of course this doesn't prevent people using false ID.  I think it's only fair as the guest is coming into your home as a stranger.  How do guests react being asked to fill in a rental agreement?  Do some of them object?  As far as damages goes, you know that Airbnb has insurance for that?  I have asked my insurance company about whether I could claim for any loss/theft of my goods out of curiosity but they've said I couldn't as I've invited this person into my home.  Have you had a problem with claims in the past?

In the 6 years I have been requiring my rental agreement be signed, only one time someone refused and canceled. About 10 people have asked clarifying questions. I also ask for them to write in the make and model of the cars they expect will be parked at the house. Most people are accustomed to providing proof of their identity. Checking ID helped me decide not to book a guest through who lied about being old enough to rent. It shows we are paying attention, and know who is in our home and on our property.