Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Airbnb
Official Account

Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Untitled.jpg

As our partners on Airbnb, Hosts do an incredible job of honoring reservations and going above and beyond to support guests every day. That’s why guests from around the world trust complete strangers with some of the most important days of their lives—from summer vacations and staycations to honeymoons and anniversary celebrations. 

But when Hosts cancel on guests for preventable reasons—like accidentally double-booking or wanting to host friends and family instead—guests lose the confidence to book on Airbnb, and this impacts all Hosts and hurts our entire community. 

Starting August 22, 2022, we’re updating our Host Cancellation Policy. The existing policy has been in place for many years and included small fees if you had to cancel a reservation. 

Get the full details on the Resource Center.

188 Replies 188
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Graham329 

After updates like this we always read all your comments and collect them for the relevant teams, who will also receive feedback via local Host clubs, the feedback form, Community Support, etc. 

You might see that we’ve been able to provide answers to some questions already, and we’ll continue to do that, as well as giving updates on any changes or outcomes from the feedback that we’ve been provided.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Kathy619
Level 2
United Kingdom

I also feel that the penalties are too severe and rigid. I recently accepted a booking by accident and cancelled within an hour. This is the only time in 3 years that I have cancelled a booking and I am so cross that I have  been deducted 40% from my next gusts fee.

I am curious if you are really already being assessed a penalty under the new policy that is not supposed to take effect until Aug 22? I am still accepting new bookings under the premise that I will turn off Instant Book on Aug 21 because I view the new host cancellation penalties as too onerous.  So are they already applying it??

@Elizabeth200 the new policy is for any cancellations post Aug 22 NOT any bookings taken post Aug 22.

Goodness I missed that.  That in and of itself seems like it should not be possible. Bookings were made by guests and accepted by hosts as of rules in place at the time of booking.  There's little harm in deferring application to bookings made after Aug 22 and certainly fairer.  

But still it gives rise to the question I asked which is that it still shouldn't be applied to anyone cancelling before Aug 22 and it sounds like it is.

We recently lost a 30 day rental because of AIRBNB long term cancelation policy. I may be wrong but the renter indicated and AIRBNB confirmed there is only a 48 hour cancelation period from time of reservation and the full amount is not refunded. Plus the guest in this case would have their money tied up for a year. As a Super Host, all cancelation policies should be set by the host. Also, there should be a drop box to indicate how many adults and children. We have bunkbeds that aren't suitable for adults but renters don't often disclose the number of guests let alone number of adults and children. 

Lily30
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Airbnb scam a 120% cancellation fee on the 2016 reservation from my July, 2022 income. It was shocked. I have disputed with 3 Agents, they seems no listening to you and were unable to provide clear policy evidences. Just closed my case ticket on their end, very tricky no response. Tt has been 4 weeks too disappointed this should not happened. @Airbnb @Jenny 

Stay-Exclusive1
Level 1
Ocean Grove, Australia

I understand why Airbnb are making this change, to reduce impact on affected guests.  However, we are a management company, and many of our cancellations occur because a listing changes ownership.  In these cases, cancellation fees and impacts on superhost status should be waived.  Airbnb does not have a listing transfer process like other channels (Booking.com for example) meaning bookings can be retained.  Also I have noted from communications coming from guests that you are now advising them that if they cancel at the host request, they will forfeit their service fees.  Surely, Airbnb is walking on dangerous ground with this communication given many of those cancellations would occur within the cancellation policy.  It smells of a money grab.  Until Airbnb fixes the inability for listings to move to new accounts, I think a softer line should be taken. 

Your new refund policy charging hosts when matters do not go exactly as plan for a guests is not right, and I strongly disagree. I do everything I can to accommodate guests so they have an excellent experience with our beach home. I do not make whole lot of money renting to outsiders and to think that going forward money can be easily taking away from me after all of my efforts, does not make sense. Renters can complain about anything the way the policy reads and reimburse for them.  As a host, I have experienced losses because of tenants bad behaviors and never reimbursed.   This policy does not make any sense to support ongoing relations with Airbnb.