Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Airbnb
Official Account

Changing our policy on avoidable Host cancellations

Untitled.jpg

As our partners on Airbnb, Hosts do an incredible job of honoring reservations and going above and beyond to support guests every day. That’s why guests from around the world trust complete strangers with some of the most important days of their lives—from summer vacations and staycations to honeymoons and anniversary celebrations. 

But when Hosts cancel on guests for preventable reasons—like accidentally double-booking or wanting to host friends and family instead—guests lose the confidence to book on Airbnb, and this impacts all Hosts and hurts our entire community. 

Starting August 22, 2022, we’re updating our Host Cancellation Policy. The existing policy has been in place for many years and included small fees if you had to cancel a reservation. 

Get the full details on the Resource Center.

188 Replies 188
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Ivan1957 

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I've asked if we can get you some help with your payout, so you should hear from someone in the relevant team soon.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Geri26
Level 10
Adelaide, Australia

I was willing to give Airbnb another go after 2 year hiatus but this is too much.  I cant see photos of people who want to book my home, they can have dummy accounts and no verification but I will be the one penalised when they lie- what a joke.  Cant wait to see how this will play out on socials and the media...

Graham329
Level 3
United Kingdom

Wish we could organise and every host withdraw instant booking even with the threats made about booking searches

We are "PARTNERS" now?

TOS states otherwise

So...which one is that?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jenny You have passed many comments and questions to Airbnb. Is this a one way street or will some answers be forthcoming I wonder?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0!

Great question.

As you’ll know from previous updates, we read and collect all your comments for the relevant teams, who also get feedback via other channels such as the local Host clubs, the feedback form, Community Support, etc. 

We have already been able to provide answers to some questions, and we’ll continue to respond when we can, along with giving you updates as usual on any changes or outcomes from questions or comments provided.

Jenny

-----

I feel that Airbnb is always in favor of the guest.  I’ve filed claims through Airbnb on a few occasions due to damage done by guest. Each time I felt as if I was the dishonest one. 
I should have the right to cancel a reservation if I don’t feel comfortable with the guest. On several occasions I have had guest lie to me about their intentions on renting my property.  We as host/property owners should not be penalized or made to feel guilty for protecting our investments from people that are looking for their next party place.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

And we as hosts should not have to purchase API-connected software to collect a security deposit. Especially when AirBNB's own terms of service says we have complete discretion over our listings.

@Airbnb  @Jenny  why are hosts not allowed to collect a security deposit to protect our most valuable investments?

For people who charge under $100/night, and who are not in a high volume location, the added monthly expense of a software subscription all but negates our profits. This policy is quite discriminatory and classist against more modest accommodations.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Stephanie365  I agree that it might be wise to collect our own deposits. For me longer term guests have been the concern.

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Stephanie365 

I've added your comments and asked the question about a security deposit to our ongoing feedback, and if I can provide an update on that, I'll let you know.

Jenny

-----

Dana1176
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

This policy is absolute trash. I get the need to require accountability for hosts, but this policy is insanely abusive. I will be pulling my rental from Airbnb until they decide to not screw their hosts with insane policies.

For example, I need to cancel a 1 night booking over 30 days from now. We have never cancelled before, yet Airbnb wants to screw us in multiple ways. Airbnb can go **bleep** itself. You have lost the human connection, the ethos that made you successful in the first place.

Marie-Eve30
Level 2
Saint-Étienne-de-Gourgas, France

Bonjour à tous, propriétaire d'un meublé de tourisme 4 étoiles dans le sud de la France, j'ai décidé de quitter Airbnb. On ne peut plus rien gérer, même plus les cautions qui étaient un bon moyen de dissuasion pour éviter les problèmes... donc on est plus chez soi. Je pense qu'Airbnb a beaucoup à y perdre. Bonne continuation à tous. 

we just decided to leave Airbnb. has been a super host for 6-7 years and has only had one cancellation due to water damage in the apartment. hope they start prioritizing their host. good luck to you all.

Graham329
Level 3
United Kingdom

Wonder if Airbnb are reading the anger and will respond or don’t care as they are so big that 100 or so hosts who have bothered to go on record to show their displeasure are small feed so they don’t care 

@Graham329 small beer or chicken feed. But I agree with your sentiments.