Clarification on essential amenities: Hosts can choose

Administrator

Essential Amenities.jpg

Earlier this year, we announced that hosts will soon be required to provide a specific set of amenities in each listing that we consider “essential” to a comfortable stay.

Since then, we heard it was impacting some hosts’ ability to host successfully. So now, we’re giving you the choice.

You can choose whether or not to include the essential amenities in your listing. Having said that, we strongly encourage hosts to include them. Guests come from regions all over the world, and many tell us is that these five items are the minimum that they expect to find in a listing.

The five essential amenities include:

Toilet paper

Soap (for hands and body)

1 towel per guest

1 pillow per guest

Linens for each guest bed

We’re currently exploring the best way to keep guests informed about which amenities are provided in each listing so that accurate expectations are set.

Please, only select the Essentials option if you really are providing those items in the listing. Keeping listings as accurate as possible is a really important part of building trust with guests and setting you up for success as a host.

Listings that have Essentials selected but don’t actually provide the five items listed may be subject to penalties, including removal from Airbnb. 

Read this Help Center article for more details on essential amenities.

Thanks for being a part of the Airbnb community and for everything that you do to provide great guest experiences!

Tags (1)
Labels (2)
162 Replies
Nancy in
West Hartford, CT
Level 5

Thanks for this change, which is very important to hosts like us in areas where items like towels and linens are absolutely not expected (and most guests would prefer to bring their own and save some money). I noticed that in order to be included in your "family friendly" listing filter, hosts still have to provide your defined "essentials."  I would ask that you consider changing that policy as well. We provide many amenities that make our house a great option for families, and the fact that we don't provide Linens and towels does not change that. Thanks for your consideration.

James in
Atlanta, GA
Level 10

I agree with what Nancy said. We provide LOTS of amenities well over what would be considered expected. We even provide children's beach toys, so we are indeed "family friendly." So just because in our area of vacation rentals, the practice is not to provide linens in the house so guests can save money, then the way Airbnb shows it makes it seem like our house is not well-furnished, when in fact, it is furnished way above most houses in the area. Plus, I like to remind Airbnb from an environmental standpoint, providing linens in a house that can sleep 10 people means having to launder 10 sets of sheets and towels even if only two people stay. Bad stewardship!!!!

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hello @Nancy@James,

It is great to hear you are please about this change Nancy, I also hope this is welcoming for you too, James. 

Thank you for your additional feedback here, it is really interesting to hear your thought on this.

Just thinking on your comment here James. If I may give my personal view on this, I think this is all about managing guest expections and I feel as a guest I want to know what to expect when visiting – especially when we are talking about what I need to bring with me or pick up on my way (such as toilet paper). Essential amenties will show on your listing, but if you don't offer this, it doesn't mean that your listing isn't well equipped in other areas. Plus, as I have heard from many here in the CC, especially with linen this isn't necessarily expected in certain areas, so in this case my logic would say that these particular guests who you are trying to attract wouldn't be put off by not seeing essential amenities listed. Do you not think this the case or have alternative suggestions? It would be great to hear your thoughts. :)

Thanks again,

Lizzie

James in
Atlanta, GA
Level 10

Hi,

Thank you for listening. I agree, guests need to know what to expect, which is why I liked it when the things now called "essentials" were listed separately so we could indicate which was there and which wasn't. Even with that, I would always verfiy with guests about their preference on linens to be sure.  My concern is that if what Nancy said is right and not having linens and towels makes us not "family friendly", then people with families for whom our house really would be perfect might just miss us if they check that box and look for "family friendly" homes. They would likely assume it means we don't allow children or something.  We really do have our house set up well for families with children with  beach toys, children's books, bunk beds, and don't want to lose those guests over something that isn't even related. 

And we do offer the option for linens, but it saves the renter to bring their own, which most would prefer to do in this rental area of Edisto Island. I asked our property manager about this when the change was first announced and she said NONE of the 400+ rentals they manage provide linens!

So I would just kindly ask it be listed as with any other amenity, like coffee makers and microwaves. (Maybe some people would consider a coffe-maker as an "essential"!) And if a red flashing light or something is needed to be sure a guest notices, no problem. What I don't like is that our listings are being treated somehow as substandard when, in reality, we may provide more amenties than a comparable property that happens to be able to manage linens.

Regards,
Jim

Meaghan in
Newark, MD
Level 3

Jim, you absolutely nailed it.  Also, for us with unique listings such as a camper at a campground  the ability to launder is impossible.  However, camping is the definition of family friendly.  It's hard to understand why I cannot be included, when I'm clearly gearing my listing to families.  I make a point to clearly define amenities, mention it in the body of my listing AND mention it in private message after booking.  Trust me, my guests are aware and ok.  I also go above and beyond for my guests whom are traveling by air and I do provide the linens free of charge, because that is just logical and considerate.

Judy in
Ulladulla, Australia
Level 3

I quite agree re the conversations about guests providing their own linen. This is the rental practice in my part of Australia- South East New South Wales (NSW) Coast at Bawley Point, between Bateman’s Bay and Ulladulla. Guests generally prefer to bring their own linen(sheets etc & towels) to save a linen fee. Almost all my guests have been from Australia and they are very comfortable with this policy. 

I suggest that Hosts be given the option to charge an additional linen fee if Guests don’t or can’t or don’t want to bring their own linen. 

Deborah in
Terrigal, Australia
Level 10

We are not a hotel, majority of hosts in our area do not supply towels and never have, so we are unable to tick the box, frankly we do not think Airbnb should tell us what to supply given we have been successfully  hosting for 13 years (280 days per year) which is far longer than Airbnb has existed. Please stop treating us as children ! We live in Australia and know our own market better than Airbnb does

Level 2

I agree with the comments as to being family friendly. By insinuating we are not family friendly if we do not supply all of the amenities is a loss to us of potential guests. Who may skip us as not being listed as family friendly.

Many of our houses are well set out for families and with this in mind we become more affordable by not adding sheets and towels and giving guests the option to hire these. We are an 82km round trip to the closest laundry mat by the time you add launder and drop off, pick up fees we have to price out of the boundary for many families.

We supply an initial supply of toilet paper, soap, dooners, dooners covers, pillows, bath mats, hand towels and tea towels and the guests have the option to hire sheets and towels from local linen hire services.

The simple answer would be to list these items for us to tick, the same as we do for other amenities.

i trust you will take this idea and comments into consideration.

kind regards 

Kate 

Julie in
Arakoon, Australia
Level 4

Hi Lizzie,

I understood that Airbnb stood for Air bed and breakfast. Breakfast has always been a bit discretionary, but now with "essential amenities" also becoming discretionary, only Air and an unmade bed are left! 

It could be argued that the name Airbnb is becoming misleading. Moreover, it is a contradiction to make something that is essential, discretionary.

However, we are a community and the community has spoken.

If essential amenities are now going to be discretionary, I too, would like to be given an option to charge extra for them so I can drop my nightly rate to compete with others not providing the basic amenities. (Having a cover charge for breakfast items would be appropriate too.)

In my area there has been a flood of holiday rentals listed on Airbnb by a local real estate agent. He ticks the box saying essential amenities are provided but then adds a little note somewhere down the bottom of the listing where it might not be noticed, that if linen or towels are needed, extra unspecified fees apply (and I understand those extra fees are considerable). I don't know what happens when people arrive expecting sheets and towels, the shops are closed and they cannot get hold of the agent.

I would like to see hosts who mislead people by stating they provide the basic amenities, when they don't, booted off Airbnb. 

Afterall, how many people travel with sheets, towels, toilet paper and soap in their suitcase, if they think they have booked into a bed and breakfast? Guests are likely to become disillusioned by their experience, leave our community and spread the word about their upsetting experience.

Unless what is or isn't provied is made very clear, Airbnb seems to be in danger of losing its point of difference and could end up being viewed as a flaky version of Booking.com

That would be such a shame having come so far.

Chantal in
Baguio City, Philippines
Level 5

Hello,

yes, I agree that the host, especially the superhost, would know best when it comes to "essential" amenities in their area. Our rooms have electric kettles and drinking water; our suite has a microwave, a refrigerator, an electric kettle, dishes/cutlery and a corkscrew. As a host for over 20 years, I have learned to adjust to my guests needs and know what is required for their comfort.  I realize that  countries have different views on "essential" amenities.

It is very helpful to have amenities listed one by one for clarity.

John in
Westcliffe, CO
Level 10

As a guest, I personally would expect linens and towels in any property I would visit with the exception of a special accomodation such as a camper trailer or such. 

In my property, I provide such items and would provide them whether they are required by AirBnb or not. That said, I feel the property owner should make that call and guests can choose whether they want that service or not and if the host does not supply such items, they can look elsewhere or perhaps make a special request to the host whereby the host and guest can work something out for a particular stay. 

Karen & Will in
Maryland, United States
Level 10

I strongly believe having the choice is the best way to go since this issue can be different by region.  Now with my opinion on Airbnb’s question aside, this question came up a year or 2 back and I will share here what I generally shared there.  My 2 entire homes are in a beach town where no linens provided is the expected norm.  However, to gain the competitive edge I provided organic linens.  At first I gave the option and asked guests if they would like them.  Everyone said yes.  So we took that out and just started providing them along with a “starter pack” of toilet paper, soap, coffee, etc.  Most guests stay a week and number around 7 in a group so we didn’t want to supply for the whole week since the consumption varies from group to group.  Since providing the linens and starter pack became the norm for us we communicate it again prior to check in through a template “welcome” letter.  Some guests express surprise that we supply these things.  One guest even showed up with her own lines and was surprised she didn’t need to use her own (another guest who didn’t read the listing ;)

Perhaps in addition to having the choice to offer or not maybe hosts who don’t provide could add places to acquire linens in their area within their listings so that guests who expect them have a resource.  Hope this feedback is helpful

Charmaine in
Cape Town, South Africa
Level 3

Airbnb means different things to different people. 

Perhaps its time to categorize and market different Airbnb listings  so each host/guest finds their own niche?.

Has Airbnb not alrerady started doing this with its  AirbnbPLUS selections?

To belong to the PLUS group you have to meet the category requirements Airbnb stipulate - if you dont you can't be listed. Simple.  

Having sub-categories means  no surprises  - it is clear what is on offer and what is not supplied within that category. No disgruntled guests, 

There could be Camp Airbnb (ie no linen /bring your own sleeping bag) , Beach Airbnb (host supplies beach umbrella/ chairs/ suncream/ beach towels) Family Airbnb (home has baby crib, child safety plugs, or dangerous drops in the home ) Airbnb BUDGET (hostle style where you have several beds in one room and shared ablutuons etc. 

There could even be AirbnbWILD (if you have that tree house, igloo, or lighthouse, old car or something outrageous you've transformed into a living space).

There is a market for everyone because people want and expect different things.

Airbnb certainly cannot be thinking 'one glove fits all"  - thats Booking.coms job!

which

Patrick in
Killarney, Ireland
Level 5

Whenever I travel in Ireland, or anywhere else in Europe or the USA, I expect linen and soap/toilet paper to be provided. These days you cannot fly with shower gel, shampoo etc-and I am definitely not going to be flying with linen /towels/pillows. If your 'area' does not provide them, or you feel you 'know' your guests better than airbnb, then you should state that your listing is suitable only for people in your area. Airbnb is worldwide, travelers come from everywhere, i have always provided linen/towels/soap- if guests bring their own, which has happened twice, they can use theirs if they like-they never have.  Airbnb is not a hotel service, it is also not supposed to be like regular rentals, it is welcoming people to our area, and making them feel as at home as possible. I have been hosting since 2014, and have over 300 reviews, a 95% occupancy rate.

Stephen in
Ocean City, MD
Level 2

I'm not so sure what the big problem is here. We have never provided these essentials because in our area we do not. If someone is flying in and asks me if I would, that is not a problem. I'm sure most hosts would. We just don't want to be forced to all the time. Thank you airbnb for recognizing this and correcting that.

Liz in
Stoke Saint Gregory, United Kingdom
Level 3

We have been providing holiday accommodation since 1992 and it never occurred to us not to provide bedlinen and towels.  It is expected here in the U.K. And I would expect to find beds made up and towels provided when I go away.  Yes, it all has to be changed, laundered and ironed but that is what guests expect.  We are in the hospitality industry - the clue is in the name.

We also provide loo rolls, cleaning materials, etc.

Elaine in
Grasmere, United Kingdom
Level 2

Totally agree. I host Airbnb in an area (The Lake District) where the competition of professionally run self catering properties, B&Bs and Guests Houses all provide bed linen, towels, soap and toilet paper; I prefer to go one better rather than be sqeezed out of the market. As other hosts mention, it’s all about knowing your market.

Helen in
Neuhäusgen, Luxembourg
Level 2

I agree entirely that providing essentials such as linen and towels should be optional according to local practices.  Our chalet is in an area where many guests do not expect linen and towels to be provided as standard and laundry costs are very high.  Our guests want to have the choice about whether they bring their own and keep their holiday rental costs low (many of our guests are travelling on very tight budgets and around 80% drive to our chalet from their own homes so have no issue bringing their own bed linen and towels) or have us to provide for them at a higher charge (for those coming from further afield).  This should not affect the classification of the chalet in any way - it just gives our guests more choice.  Like many of the hosts commenting above we provide many family amenities including children's toys, DVDs, board games, sledges, use of garage for storing skis in the winter and bikes in the summer, washing machine and dryer, bbq and parasol for the large terrace in the summer, microwave, dishwasher, oven, hob and so much more.  

I would also like to see more choice with the cleaning - that guests can choose if they leave clean and tidy themselves or they wish for us to organise a cleaning service for them.  This allows those travelling on tight budgets to keep their costs low. 

Ideally all this would be completely transparent to the holiday makers so they can make their selection either at the point in time when they are making their booking or retrospectively.  (We have guests who book 9 months in advance which is the maximum we allow in order to secure the chalet for their holiday dates).

We are not running a hotel service - we are just looking to rent out our much loved holiday home when we are not using it ourselves - and want our guests to love it as much as we do. 

Hilary in
Bladon, United Kingdom
Level 2

I am amazed that linen towels and toiletries not provided.What kind of profiteering is this?

I would be embarrassed to have guests arrive bringing  their own supplies.

When I stay airbnb myself admittedly only in Europe,I have always had those essentials provided.

Even hostels such as YHA in Britain have excellent provision of these items.

David in
Termeil, Australia
Level 8

My listing does not qualify for Family Collection, no continuous wifi. It is in a rural area, intermittent signal and expensive.

What is offered, grassy slopes to slide down, bush walks, whale spotting, lyre birds, wallabies and kangaroos, camp fires, nearby beaches with body boards, snorkelling gear and wet suits, beach towels, fishing gear, yabbies in the gully creek, even a kayak and sail boat. I could continue with this unfriendly family accommodation but hiking socks and sticks, hiking maps and compasses, golf club sets are not necessarily family activities or amenities... Nor are some movies, board games, card games, healthy air and hot showers before falling exhausted into clean sunkissed bed sheets. 

All the things that city kids watch when they log onto the internet, are right here, but I do not qualify for Family Collection.

As noted above, categories are needed for various types of accommodation, maybe one for REAL FAMILY accommodation as distinct from fantasy. 

John in
Westcliffe, CO
Level 10

I would also like to add that one of the common themes on this forum is that guests do not read. 

So, even if it is very clearly states in the listing, I can imagine some situatins where individuals, particularly newbies to Airbmb arrive to a listing only to discover that there are no sheets or towels. This would, in my opinion, reflect very badly on the host and the AirBnb brand.

I do provide such items, but if I was not going to, I would be very clear, having it prominently displayed on my listing page, then telling the guest two times, once in a pre-approval message with policies and need-to-know and again in the pre-check in message a week before arrival so it is very clear. 

Bill in
Sidari, Greece
Level 6

The beauty of Airbnb is the ability to offer unique experiences, and if that means including or not including things, it should be up to the host, while of course maintaing transparency and up to the guest to choose what they want.

The job of Airbnb should be succesfully implementing a transparent system, where the potential client (like I've had happen) doesnt have the opportunity to come back with a complaint saying something like "I didnt know there was no iron."

All the best,

Karlo in
Portland, OR
Level 2

For those interested in a guest perspective, all of my friends and I agree that we would never book a listing that doesn't offer these essential amenities. It's the bare minimum. As bare as it gets. Most people travel light today in the face of increasing fees for luggage by airlines and also to remain mobile while visiting, rather than stationary in only one area. As traveling becomes more of a global phenomenon rather than regional vacationers, as people from farther areas are discovering new cities and places, the need to evolve the service provided up until now will become more apparent if a host is to remain competitive and find greater success. 

Furthermore, if a family is coming to a home that doesn't offer essential amenities, that means they would need to bring a set of sheets for each bed they use. That's its own suitcase on top of everything else they'll need for their stay and for the kids. I imagine that's why this is required. It seems wild, to me, to arrive to a place with no bed sheets. It's never happened to me.

Mao in
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level 2

It also be great if Airbnb can remove the required TV from family category as the strong internet from WiFi at my home can entertain the guest more than enough. It’s ridiculous to exclude the host and their house from this category because they can’t provide TV. 

Thank you.

Mao

Monique in
Halifax, Canada
Level 2

Wow. This is fascinating, and goes to show how much we have to learn from each other, as Airbnb 'shrinks the world'. I am surprised to discover that some of my fellow hosts not so far from me in the United States routinely do NOT provide linens because it is not expected in their regions. I had (apparently wrongly) assumed that the US was like Canada, and that all Airbnb accommodations would have those 'essential' items. Whereas in recent travels in France, I had to hunt for listings that DID include linens (apparently not always so 'essential' there). Fascinating. I understand that it varies from region to region, and that traveller expectations vary, but perhaps those then become search criteria that travellers can choose from, just as they can with 'wifi' or 'kitchen'. If you absolutely must have an iron, for example, then you could restrict your search to only those places actively listing their iron (or what have you).

The second B still causes me pause. I provide breakfast items at my listing, and Airbnb reminds hosts before a guests arrival to put out food (I think the email says bagels and juice or something to that effect). However I was surprised to discover that many Airbnbs do not provide breakfast items at all, and many don't even include coffee/tea. Was a decision made to consciously get rid of the 'bnb' part of Airbnb?

Keith in
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Level 2

I personallythink there is a real danger of  Airbnb losing the ethos under which it was established. Many people now view it as a money-grabbing/quick buck scheme. And that is a shame.

Who's kidding who over talk of charging less if not providing essentials?

As hosts who are proud of our record in providing value and sharing the enjoyment & experience of our home and island, I don't like the way the business is heading. 

Last year we were shocked when asked to pay for bedding and turning up at a place with half a toilet roll for a week and not even salt in the kitchen.

We will keep on doing our thing by providing essentials and more for our guests until such times as Airbnb becomes so far removed from what it set out to do.

By then there will, undoubtedly, be a new kid on the block.

Deborah in
Terrigal, Australia
Level 10

We do not get international visitors !!! we are totally professional and have been for 13 years , all our guests are happy to bring their own towels. A one size does not fit all . Airbnb is toooo generic and controlling. Do you really think owners would undermine their own businesses, profiteering is insulting, most have reduced their tarrifs ?????

Deborah in
Terrigal, Australia
Level 10

Its Illegal to provide food to an unlicensed BNB in Australia due to health and safety regulation !!!!

Nachu in
Rovinj, Croatia
Level 2

Hi, all there! 

We totally agree with providing the Essentials required, which are the same we as guests would expect to make our stay easier.

Our concern is about the frequency with wich some guests require  the change or renewal of the Essentials, in special the hygienic paper, the towels or sheets change. We are not a hotel, as some partners stated above, and although we provide the essential items, it is also upon the guests to take care of them. 

We suggest to put some kind of sign or clue about the Essentials; for example, in the case of the towels, to indicate that the basic is "1 per person"; we offer 2 per person, and indeed have happened that they asked us to change them nevertheless, during short stays. Should these changes be included in our budget prices?

Thanks for your attention, and kind regards, 

Chris & Nachu

Lynne in
Baton Rouge, LA
Level 1

From the other side of the remarks I’ve seen, I’d EXPEXT  linens and towels to be provided, and I do provide them!   And, YES, we have doubles of linens and towels but my cleaning service washes and changes 5 beds and cleans 3 bathrooms and a three story house between guests, all within 6 hrs. If you can’t handle that, don’t offer checkouts and check-ins on the same day. 

And, we also provide “the extras” like children’s toys, books,  beach towels, beach chairs and umbrellas. I’d personally hate to have to fly to a vacation destination and haul all of those linens and towels for my family, and honestly, my guests seem to love this system!   I’m just saying, it works beautifully and gives guests a quality vacation experience. 

Marcia E in
Pittsboro, NC
Level 1

I, too, usually do not provide linens. Most of my guests like to bring their own and save money. I do have some available for a small charge if people are coming from far away. I provide all sorts of amenities other than linens.

Therefore, I hope you develop a checklist that would include amenities such as paper products, shampoos, etc. that allows exclusion of linens.

Julianne in
Brynmill, United Kingdom
Level 2

I provide clean bed linen and towels in three bedrooms even if there is only one or two guests using just one bed. As it's not always clear which bed/s have been used or which towels have been used I end up washing them all. It would be good to be able to ask guests to indicate which beds and towels they have used to save unnecessary laundering. 

Sebastián in
La Paloma, Uruguay
Level 2

Great news! When you have more than one house and lots of beds, providing linens and towels is an extra cost, and you need to consider more things. Im happy to hear that host can choose whether to offer linens and towels or not.

Level 2

Essential Amenities should not be all lumped together in the listings.

I feel that we should have a choice to itemize and individually list our amenities.

Sheets and towels have never been and are not expected in our beach town.

For long distance and last minute guests, I have no problem supplying linens as a courtesy.  

John in
Westcliffe, CO
Level 10

This conversation is really an eye opener. I had never considered that linens and towels would not be an essential part of a stay. I find it very interesting that in different parts of the US this is so different - very intriguing!

Tsigie in
Springfield, VA
Level 2

I  agree with you Patrick. I think we should make our guests comfortable. I provide toilet paper, hand soap, body soap, linens, towels, pillows, iron, ironing board, coffee, tea, water, hair dryer and first aid kit. I  think those are essential for them to feel more comfortable . 

Deborah in
Terrigal, Australia
Level 10

We do not opertate in America and do not get American visitors, we have Local city visitors  to a regional area. Airbnb is an American company that does not understand the regional Australian experience. 1 size does not fit all just because it does in some parts of the USA, very arragant  controlling  process !

Rich in
Cockeysville, MD
Level 2

Thank you for the positive results.  I had been looking at other sites for attracting guests.  I email every guest an information sheet explaining in detail what is and is not provided.  I provide my phone # and e mail address and tell them to ask questions.  In our beach resort it is not common to offer sheets and/or towels.  Clear communication is key. 

Silvana in
Massachusetts, United States
Level 3

Lizzie,

There are touristy townships where the water supply is either scarce, or vulnerable, that hosts are encouraged to reduce the polution.  As others have said, the deffinition of Family Friendly have less to do with the amoung of linen offer, and much to do with the space offered and who can occupy it.  I do offer the essentials, but linen and towels for an extra charge to encourage guests to bring their own therefore reducing the impact on the environment.  We can't approach this with a One Size Fits All. 

Silvana

Nina in
Brunswick, ME
Level 2

I think that all super hosts should not just provide the minimum required essential amenities, but additional ones, and it should be standard for superhosts: tea and coffee, (and everything guests need to prepare it like filters, grinder ig beans, milk and sugar etc), napkins, shampoo and condiitoner, hairdryer, bottled water (if tap not safe) and a few welcome snacks. I have stayed in several places with the superhost badge, and I have had to go out on my first evening to buy these items, even if I am just staying for three nights, and have travelled overseas. In this airfare climate when the best way is to travel with only a carry on, one should be able to have these basics in place. That is what being a superhost should include, in addition to great ratings, prestine cleanliness and local advice and suggestions.   

Jennifer in
Auburn, AL
Level 2

I agree that one size doesn't fit all as the comments point out. Although we supply linens and towels, why would a host be excluded from the category of "family friendly" solely on the basis of that requirement?  It may be more "family friendly" and "environmentally friendly" to allow families to save money on linens by bringing their own.  Perhaps include a page on the reservation for guests to check before they pay about whether the rental includes linens or not so hosts can best serve their clients. Thank you for listening AirBnb.  

Carla in
Jamison, PA
Level 2

At the Jersey Shore, it is common practice to bring your own sheets. However, I leave Beach Tags, boogie boards and toys for children. We have a short window (only a few hours) to turn the rental property over from one listing to the next and only a 10 week season. In order to make hosting optimal on Airbnb everything needs to be efficient. 

Blanca in
Louisville, KY
Level 2

I discourage guests from bringing their own linens since I feel like that may raise the risk of a bed bug infestation. Ugh! 

Suresh in
Santa Barbara, CA
Level 2

So sorry but I beg to differ , providing linen for beds , towels , toilet paper , soap are basic necessities that is naturally expected and should be provided .

Your room rate costing should include cleaning charges wherein laundry cost are built in using the max charge - we are providing sleeping quarters which at this day and age should not be compromised with pettiness and not well thought of basics. 

We are a hospitality service and and  as such should abide by a decent standard of etiquette or opt out .

Cynthia in
Midland, MI
Level 2

New to Airbnb I've been trying to go above and beyond for my guests. I provided a bar of almond soap for the first four months only to find a row of full bars of soap lined up in the shower.  so I'm switching to body wash because I can't stand the wastefulness and think people should just bring that bar of soap home !  Your thoughts ?

Ellen in
San Diego, CA
Level 1

Oh my God! I can’t believe that toilet paper and towels and sheets would not be included as an essential amenity. I’m sure there are exceptions to this rule but I would think they would be few. As much Airbnb hosting and traveling as I do I certainly wouldn’t stay anyplace they didn’t provide me a pillow, clean sheets, and a clean towel. So keep up the good work AIRBNB

Jim And Jo Ellen in
Wellsburg, WV
Level 1

We agree with all who are still concerned/confused about the Essential Amenities policy. We offer unique off-grid cabins and most of our guests are happy to bring their own linens to help offset the cost. We still offer linens for those who choose to pay a little extra for them. We think we can say that we offer these amenities, because we do for those who request them. Is it against the rules to be listed as offering the amenities?

Richard in
Henderson, NV
Level 2

I was disappointed that Airbnb backed away from the essentials. I recall years of renting in Cape Cod, MA and having to either drag along linens and towels or after we moved further, rent them to add to the cost of our stay. Then to things even more fun we would usually have to make a trip to the pricy convenience store for toilet paper and kitchen towels. 

When people are staying somewhere where I don’t believe they should have to think about these things. Especially if they’ve taken flights in to reach their destination. 

We host and believe the onlh things our guests should have to bring along are themselves. 

I know there are always exceptions out there but my opinion is that the guests shouldn’t be adding another bag for essentials. 

Phil & Dion in
Gold Canyon, AZ
Level 2

Why linen. We have always provided 100% cotton or cotton polyester and so far after more than 70 reviews no guest has complained.

Tracie in
New Orleans, LA
Level 2

This is all so strange to me. It never occurred to me to offer less amenities than are offered to me at hotels. In each of my 3 homes guests have at least 2 bath towels and 2 wash cloths; shampoo: conditioner; body wash; toilet tissue; paper towels; case of soda; case of water; chips; wine or beer; coffee; and tea. Doesn’t cost much. I buy in bulk. I’m booked all the time and I have 5 star reviews for all of my bookings. Food for thought. 

Comment
You must log in to join this conversation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: