Clarification on essential amenities: Hosts can choose

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarification on essential amenities: Hosts can choose

Essential Amenities.jpg

Earlier this year, we announced that hosts will soon be required to provide a specific set of amenities in each listing that we consider “essential” to a comfortable stay.

Since then, we heard it was impacting some hosts’ ability to host successfully. So now, we’re giving you the choice.

You can choose whether or not to include the essential amenities in your listing. Having said that, we strongly encourage hosts to include them. Guests come from regions all over the world, and many tell us is that these five items are the minimum that they expect to find in a listing.

The five essential amenities include:

Toilet paper

Soap (for hands and body)

1 towel per guest

1 pillow per guest

Linens for each guest bed

We’re currently exploring the best way to keep guests informed about which amenities are provided in each listing so that accurate expectations are set.

Please, only select the Essentials option if you really are providing those items in the listing. Keeping listings as accurate as possible is a really important part of building trust with guests and setting you up for success as a host.

Listings that have Essentials selected but don’t actually provide the five items listed may be subject to penalties, including removal from Airbnb. 

Read this Help Center article for more details on essential amenities.

Thanks for being a part of the Airbnb community and for everything that you do to provide great guest experiences!

168 Replies 168
Kay84
Level 2
New Zealand

Hi there

Since the introduction of essential amenities, notably Soap (for hands and body) I have had two feedback comments from guests saying there was no soap.

Yet, I provide an eco-friendly body wash in a pump container in the shower, and handwash (also in pump containers)  in each of the two toilets with handbasins and also by the basin in the bathroom.

I think guests misunderstand that soap doesn't have to be a cake of soap (which would need to be replaced for every guest) - I host three separate bedrooms with shared bathroom so this would not be viable) nor environmentally-friendly.

So, please Airbnb think carefully about how these listed amenities are interpreted and change it!

Thanks, Kay 

New Zealand

Poppy14
Level 2
Palisade, CO

I provide all of these items.  I would expect them when I stay somewhere.  How would some one traveling launder these things?   Who would want to? 

Guess it is different in different parts of the world, and maybe some places you would want to bring your own.  However if you did not want to sleep on their bed, would your linens make any difference?

Geri19
Level 2
Blossvale, NY

In the 18 years that we have rented our one little house in Maine, we have provided "essentials" like toilet paper, soap, paper towels, and cleaning supplies, including a new sponge and dishwashing liquid at the kitchen sink. We asked renters to bring their own bed linens and bath towels and to take them away with them. The only time we provided those items was if renters were flying to our location rather than driving, which is how most renters have arrived.

Since last summer, however, with the new airbnb requirements, we have provided bed linens and bath towels (one bath sheet, one wash cloth and one hand towel). We leave them on the bed, which is unmade except for pillow shams and matching comforter. They make their own bed. When they are leaving, they are asked to remove the bed linens and used towels and put them inside one of the pillow cases for our caretaker to remove. The caretaker puts them out in our "laundry" area and brings in a new set of clean bed linens and towels for guests and leaves them on the bed. When I am writing to renters just before they arrive, I tell them that if they prefer to use their own bed linens and towels, they are more than welcome to do so; however, some will be provided for them at the house.

I myself would prefer to use my own things, so I give them the option. I'm glad airbnb has lowered the requirements to include some options. Providing their own bed linens worked well for us for many  years and we did not like that new requirement. This works out a little better. I think next year I will go back to just listing the essentials we provide and making clear that we do not provide bed linens and towels. It's a big extra step for us to have to get these "packets" of things together for each renting group. And if they are using more than one bedroom, meaning more of them in their group, that would mean more sheet sets and more towels. Too, our bunk beds are difficult to "make," especially the top bunk. It is for children, not for adults, and I always recommend that parents bring a sleeping bag for the kids to make putting the bed together easier.

Maya544
Level 1
HKI, Finland

Many hosts are referring to "local culture", but this is not the way Airbnb works. Airbnb is global and people book from around the world, they don't know your culture and can't be expected to fly internationally with bedsheets and towels. Talking about local culture seems like a failure in understanding a customer perspective. I suggest if you're not providing hygienic amenities, don't accept other than regional bookings. Airbnb could do more towards this to make it easier for the hosts as well.

What is the guest supposed to do when they arrive and these are missing? Sleep without sheets? This will certainly lead to bed bugs and worse problems over time.