Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Standards@2x (2).png

We’ve noticed a lot of discussion lately about the updated Superhost criteria, so we wanted to explain why we made this update.

The Superhost program recognizes the best and most iconic hosts on Airbnb. Since it began, in order to be a Superhost you had to meet several criteria. You had to host at least 10 stays per year, you had to have zero cancellations (except for extenuating circumstances), you had to respond to 90% of the messages you received within 24 hours, and 80% of your ratings had to be 5 stars.

The first 3 criteria are staying the same, but beginning in July, instead of needing 80% 5-star reviews, Superhosts will now need an average review score of 4.8.

There are several reasons why we decided to make this change. First and foremost, because it’s simpler and easier to understand. One of the top pieces of feedback we received about the old program criteria was that guests couldn’t intuitively understand what it took to be a  Superhost. By making the change from 80% 5-star reviews to an overall rating of 4.8, guests can more easily understand what it means to be a Superhost. Additionally, switching to an overall rating of 4.8 stars also brings consistency across our new programs like Collections and Plus, which require a 4.8 overall rating as well as several other criteria.

In looking at recent data, we estimate that between 90% to 95% of our Superhosts are going to have no problem qualifying for the Superhost program under the new criteria. Ultimately, it’s our goal to have as many Superhosts as possible and have all hosts provide amazing guest experiences worthy of stellar reviews. Our plan is to continue to closely monitor how these standards impact the Superhost program and evolve them based on what’s working and what isn’t. We truly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided so far and we look forward to working with you to bring further clarity and consistency to the program.

551 Replies 551
Dick10
Level 4
Burbank, CA

Average is poor statistics. Only a median score is valid. Remember the fellow that drowned in a river that was an average of 6 inches deep? The Superhosts scoring system is invalid.

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

The rating system does not meet even " average" 3 star ratings for statistical methods or accuracy as a qualitative measurement.  Flawed design of the tool equals flawed objective measurement of performance quality.  I'm not basing my business model on  statisticall inaccurate faulty measurements nor on the the subject opines of amateur evaluators who are also not subjected to statistically valid measurement tools to analyze their performance.  The measurement tool in this case is only as good and the guests and hosts that use it.  You want 5 star ratings, select 5 star quests...instant booking them and cancel the rest without penalty!  The rating game can be played in the hosts favor thru selective booking. Discards the marginal and questionable bookings and only accept guests whom you are 96percent sure will give you an accurate rating. Better yet, asks guests how they would rate their stay before they leave and educate them about the fact that our host ratings effect who will or WONT accept them for future stays.. ..hosts read other hosts ratings of guests too ! 

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Just want to throw it out there that your new review system for guests is a fail. 

Guests are now opting not to leave reviews because the review process is too tedious and pedantic.  This, of course, is problematic for Superhosts because you require a minimum percentage of guests leave a review. 

Here is my suggestion for the Guest Review:

1.  Was the space clean?  Yes or No

2.  Was the space as advertised?  Yes or No

3.  Did the host address any concerns or problems in a timely manner?  Yes or No

4.  Would you recommend this space to others?  Yes or No.

Public Feedback

Private Feedback

Done. 

Katharine12
Level 2
Kilkenny, Ireland

There is a window open I think for a new company offering what Airbnb offered once upon I time.  I had the same experience with Dell.  As a small business owner buying 1-5 laptops at a time, I experienced in the early 2000s Dell's policy of only offering proper customer service to big customers (100s or 1000s laptops/PCs).  This carried on for a few years until Dell realised their policy was seriously damaging their business and reversed it.   Hard to tell how they are doing now they have gone private, but....

As a Superhost I welcome the changes. I have been a Superhost since late 2016, and a host since 2014. I worked hard to achive and maintain my Superhost. As of July 2018 I have about 143 reviews, 132 five star and 11 four star. The new Superhost is factoring longevity into the equation. I thought it was a little to easy to get Superhost in the first place. The more reviews you have the less impact a 1 star review has on you. 

@Jeffrey-and-Melissa0 That's all well and good for people who have high volume spaces with rapid turnover. But for those of us off the beaten path or who have longer term guests, it's a punishment. I have been doing this for 2 1/2 years and I've had 79 reviews and about 84 guests total in those 2 1/2 years counting those who couldn't be bothered to review me. Most of my guests are 2 night weekenders except during the summertime where I get the occasional week long stay. 

I, too, have worked hard to maintain my Superhost, as I'm sure just about every other host has.  Although I'm not sure why I should care anymore since my listing is still on page 3, below people who are neither new listings nor Superhosts.  So much for that perk.

Holly164
Level 2
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom

Sorry but I dont understand how the new system clarifies things. I am one of the people who is going to lose my superhost status from one poor review from someone who had changed their mind about the location before they had even reached the property and just needed to find an excuse to get their money back

I have now gone down to 4.7 stars and am told I need to work on it . But work on what exactly.? I had consistent  5 * before and have had consistent  5* since . So How many  5*  do I now need to go back up to 4.8*  and how can I do it?

Completely agree! I give a detailed description on the location of my listing so that the guest can research the area BEFORE they arrive. There’s no reason that they should arrive and “ding” your for location. When the listing itself and the host experience is outstanding. The Airbnb model is and inclusive and Emersive experience. If the guest want a hotel, the book a hotel in a ritzy area and pay the price tag for that.   They use the “location” thing to get their money back! That’s unacceptable. My listings are spotless and professionally cleaned and  they leave the door open and somehow a bug gets inside and they give a bad review! The guests are too finicky and entitled! They need to understand that as hosts we are opening up our space to them! One other host mentioned that we should be more selective of the guests we allow! I completely agree! my listing is in a very unique part of town and again I make that very clear! Don’t book because it’s cheaper than a famous hotel on the beach and then complain, book because you want to BE in that area!

Eileen58
Level 4
Fayetteville, AR

I am bothering writing this so AirBnb sees that this problem is even causing someone that has never written in a forum to share.

You experienced ones are right, I shouldn’t sweat a 4 rating but I did; I felt like the straight A student that really puts her heart in it, had just been given a C. My blood pressure rose and I couldn’t keep it out of my thoughts. If our Airbnb income was something I relied on, I would have been besides myself.  What Airbnb’s rating policy will do to me if I continue to get unrealistic scores is to basically make me quit. They can keep  all the airbnb’s in my city run by students in nasty student housing and the homes lucky enough to have dedicated guest space will walk away.

I’ve been reading about the problem over the last year but because I had only been receiving solid 5s, I really hadn’t taken it too seriously.  I’m sure most dedicated Airbnb hosts put their hearts in their place and the unfair rating system needs to be replaced by asking more accurate questions. Comparing an Airbnb to a hotel is too easy for our guests unless Airbnb takes the responsibility to make it clear how the rating works. 

I've only been a host for about a year in a half. I recently retired and it gives me something to do, plus I enjoy meeting people. I only have a total of about 35 reviews so when I received my very first 4 (in value), I was surprised first by the sting of a 4*. The guests had taken full advantage of the outdoor patio, the craft beer, the lovely pastries, and the espresso maker....  I’ve been in hotels 30-40 days a year and even compared to your standard Hilton, our Airbnb is SO much better. Then I saw that my rating had moved to 4.9! How one single star can make that much difference! It felt like I got punched. 

Recently, a woman reserved but wound up only sending her husband. She had sent me weeks of requests as to recommending: an orthodontist for her entering freshman, dermatologist, where they might park their Class C 36 foot long motorhome if we didn’t have the room(!), advice on greek life vs honors dorm,  etc. etc.  All I did gladly as I enjoy doing that kind of thing for my guests. All this AFTER she had talked me down on my price. After recommending an Airbnb further away from the University or perhaps a hotel, she had practically pleaded that she really wanted to stay at our place.  I was busy watching a movie so I broke down and lowered the price – I know, I know……  Anyway, her husband raved about the place, the amenities, etc. and even left a lovely written note. The wife, who didn’t even see the place but who had the AirBnb account rated it from her Texas home and gave a 4 on value. This is after she texted me and told me how much he adored it and hopes to stay with me again because “he’s very picky!”  I charged $50 less than a mediocre hotel on a super busy weekend.  I find it a little funny that the 2 times I've been give a 4 star on a category, were also the most demanding and got the place for much less than  usual. When the university starts classes again, I suspect that they will try to stay with me again – I had given the husband a thumbs up – he was great. Wish I could block them as I can’t afford another 4.

As I’ve hosted, I’ve generally had fun but recently, after learning some hard lessons,  if Airbnb continues to cause me stress, I’m out!

Eileen58 a tactic that works very well with guests who abuse your kindness of lowering rates is to increase.the rates.  If this Texan wants to stay with you again...offer him a "special" with fewer amenities and.higher rates.  He got the deluxe treatment with an introductory rate...no more ms nice girl...this is business. The published rate stands and fewer extras are included since a 4 was the best his wife scored you. Also, have him make his own reservation...third party reservations arent allowed...and let him do the review after. Good luck and honestly dont sweat.the small stuff. The entire rating scale is totally skewed and not statistically accurate..and Airbnb has done nothing to correct that.

Gisele20
Level 5
Florida, United States

Lol...that’s exactly true. Thanks to Airbnb. What about reducing those guests that are not ‘worthy ‘ to be an Airbnb guest. The ones that barely are able to afford staying anywhere and put it on their credit cards and the ones who demanded so much more from the host, like if they had been royalty. And the other ones, that trashed the place, leaving early without telling the host that they tore the place apart or the ones that trashed the bed so the host had to get new sheets, blankets and a new mattress but didn’t want to report it because it just happened a few weeks earlier and nobody would believe it, or they did report it and the guest could keep the security deposit because the host had to spend several days getting written estimates and proofs because pictures were not horrifying enough. Yes, Airbnb is not all that, what they claim to be.

Ian214
Level 2
Oxford, United Kingdom

I think airBNB is simply tipping tha balance further to favour Guest even more because it's them that ultimately pay their bills.  They now have too many customers and now want to discard some of the riff raff.

They've probably realised that 80% of their revenues come from 20% of their properties.

So their new strategy for profit maximisation is to just focus on the 20% and let the 80% "go whistle"

Bottom line your dependance on a single hosting platform is misguided. Don't lay all your eggs in AirBNB nest. They are a profit driven organisation, who puts this objective above all else.

Michael--0
Level 1
Columbus, OH

I have had similiar issues with five or less "impossible to please" guests out of hundreds.  Recently, I had two guest leave negative reviews to me personally due to their ridiculous demands and unrealistic standards.  One stayed a night, showered, ate several meals and lounged all around her space, then 16 hours after check in decided to pack her things and stated she wouldn't stay any longer because she didn't like the drapes!  She was supposed to stay two weeks.  This after I secured her a full refund from Air BnB.  The new rating system is unfair.  I've been a Superhost for the past six years without ever loosing status.  Will be interesting to see what continues in the future.  

Michelle1053
Level 2
Nanaimo, Canada

Thank you.  Even know I state quite clearly I am 20 minutes out of the town center I continually get four out of five stars on location with many of my guests. I don’t really know what I can do about this other than trying to be even more clear, but I really don’t think it should affect my super host status .

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Eileen71, I think you can block them.  Click on report and then click something else. They won't be able to contact you after that until you unreport them.