Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Standards@2x (2).png

We’ve noticed a lot of discussion lately about the updated Superhost criteria, so we wanted to explain why we made this update.

The Superhost program recognizes the best and most iconic hosts on Airbnb. Since it began, in order to be a Superhost you had to meet several criteria. You had to host at least 10 stays per year, you had to have zero cancellations (except for extenuating circumstances), you had to respond to 90% of the messages you received within 24 hours, and 80% of your ratings had to be 5 stars.

The first 3 criteria are staying the same, but beginning in July, instead of needing 80% 5-star reviews, Superhosts will now need an average review score of 4.8.

There are several reasons why we decided to make this change. First and foremost, because it’s simpler and easier to understand. One of the top pieces of feedback we received about the old program criteria was that guests couldn’t intuitively understand what it took to be a  Superhost. By making the change from 80% 5-star reviews to an overall rating of 4.8, guests can more easily understand what it means to be a Superhost. Additionally, switching to an overall rating of 4.8 stars also brings consistency across our new programs like Collections and Plus, which require a 4.8 overall rating as well as several other criteria.

In looking at recent data, we estimate that between 90% to 95% of our Superhosts are going to have no problem qualifying for the Superhost program under the new criteria. Ultimately, it’s our goal to have as many Superhosts as possible and have all hosts provide amazing guest experiences worthy of stellar reviews. Our plan is to continue to closely monitor how these standards impact the Superhost program and evolve them based on what’s working and what isn’t. We truly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided so far and we look forward to working with you to bring further clarity and consistency to the program.

551 Replies 551
John-and-Tim0
Level 4
Palm Springs, CA

Just want to add our voice here to the poorly thought out review system.  We are new to hosting but not new to using Airbnb traveling.

We have come to see that this platform is skewed toward the guests, not the host.  It makes sense, the more bookings, the more money they make (kinda like the dymanic pricing tool (usually $40 below what we price for and have a occupany rate between 70-80%). 

The review process is just wacked, and the new and improved standards are sad.  Dangling the SH carrot in front of someone is one thing but making it unattainable is another.  Most here go above and beyond in accommodating requests and making it an enjoyable experience.  

My advice:

Be proud of what you do and how you do it.  Strive to be a better host, even if you're a SH.  And most importantly, don't be concerned about not being a SH.  We do what we do because we love it and want to share our love for our homes and community.  The guests you want to book will understand this and book anyway (we've never booked a place solely on it having SH status). The time, energy, and love  you put into your listing and hosting will be obvious.  There comes a point when pride in yourself is much more important that validation from a large coropration.  "To thine own self be true."

To Airbnb:  

Time to pause and think how you're impacting hosts. Making a profit is great; but not at the expense of those who have made you successful.

happy hosting.... 

Amanda54
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I am outraged at the moment in finding out that my superhost status will be removed because insufficient guests have left a reveiw!

I have or had 5 stars, nearly 100% response rate, never cancelled. All guests satisfied and happy.

Has airbnb never heard that more people complain than compliment? This is a fact of life and business!

Just point to note....If there are no properties, then no clients, then no business or money. It goes in that order. The hosts need to be protected and reassured and treated fairly. 

Very upset. I hope you are reading Airbnb?

This is extremely disappointing!  We just had a really difficult guest that we we bent over backwards for.  It turns out she gave us a low star rating because she couldn't figure out how to lock a keyless entry door!  We now sit at 4.7 for overall.  There goes our SuperHost status.  We've had it for 2.5 years!  That seems to be meaningless for airbnb.  Also, because of this guest, we can't even return to being part of the new "work collection."  This is just a disaster for long time hosts who are doing a good job on the platform.  

Peter124
Level 10
Providence, RI

Sorry for your totally inexcusable demotion. Airbnb's silence on this issue is deafening

Judy312
Level 2
Portland, ME

In response to the comments in this thread...or I should say, in addition to these comments. Your policies for hosts are becoming a bit draconian, both for ratings and cancellations or declines. It is so easy to be punished severely for both. I find many guests do not want to bother taking the time to write reviews, or have no idea that it matters. I didn't when I first starting staying at ABB places. And many do not not understand what they mean.

Here is one review..."Great home in a very nice and quiet neighborhood, cozy room with lots of personal touches, bathroom is next to room and super clean which is much appreciated, great showerhead, self-checkin lockbox is the best, room had two luggage racks that proved very useful because space is a little tight around bed, minifridge in closet, hosts are very friendly". We got a 4 star rating for Location, and a 4-star for Value. We spent a lot of time talking with these guests, I gave them great ratings, and they seemes very happy. We are in a great location, near the airport, bus & train station, quiet neighborhood with free parking in front. Way below hotel rates. We are 3 miles from downtown, and that is noted in our listing. So...why 4 stars?

As for the cancellation policies, it seems to me if you have something come up that means you have to cancel, and you can explain it to the guest and ABB and make amends, you should not be punished in such extreme measures.

We have been hosting for a year, and became superhosts at the first review, but we have had enough experience to know that you can't please all the people all of the time. Let's be real, ABB. 

I hate that getting one poor review can ruin my Superstar rating.  If ABB would ignore the worst review in its calculations that would be greatly appreciated.

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

With the overwhelming response that this post  has gotten from hosts about the new rating system, I am curious if there has been any reply or comment from Airbnb? The whole point of host voice is supposed to allow hosts to be heard. It seems as if any post should elicit a response or reply from Airbnb, it should be this one. Has there been?

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

It his obvious from the many, many comments and the hundreds of thumbs up to those comments that hosts are extremely unhappy with the new Superhost requirements. Will Airbnb offer any kind of reply or response to the overwhelming reaction from hosts who feel the new criteria is unfair to hosts?

Peter124
Level 10
Providence, RI

As the saying goes, their silence speaks volumes. 

I actually heard from a moderator yesterday on an unrelated and completely insignificant issue. She ended her brief message with the request to let her know how I was enjoying the host community site.

Of course I took this opportunity to let her know how angry and concerned Superhosts are about the changes in ABB's Superhost requirements.

I haven't heard a word back from her.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

I probably don't have anything new to add, but I just wanted to add my name to the list of disgruntled hosts!

Raising the bar from 80% (4 out of 5) to 96% (4.8 out of 5) in one fell swoop is … just mad.

Our overall rating is 4.9 but in all honesty I think this is just luck! We lost superhost status when we had several of those guests in a row (the ones who couldn't give 5 stars even if their lives depended on it) then we gained it back when we had a great couple who stayed with us umpteen times (they were searching for permanent accommodation but couldn't find it) and always gave us a review and always gave us 5 stars. (Big love to them :))

Yeah, when we started hosting, we had no aspirations to be superhosts. I don't think I would have felt disappointed with 4 out of 5 stars for anything. Now that I realise the consequences, it's a different kettle of fish. It's really sad that some great hosts (probably better than us) are going to be penalised … because of non-5-star guests!!

All the best guys, keep your chins up and keep enjoying the many lovely guests 🙂

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Patricia55 What I used to enjoy is now being replaced with feeling like I have a gun to my head. 

Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Airbnb clearly has no interest in hearing our concerns about this ridiculous  brilliant new idea, so I suggest we all go to their facebook page and post a comment there.  It is moderated, and they always respond.  Better yet everyone else can read about our frustration.   (I see they don't allow us to post links here.)  Go to wwwdotfacebookdotcomslashairbnbslash

Debbie38
Level 3
Dunfermline, United Kingdom

I totally understand you. I have experienced the same kind of thing. Some people are so hard to please.

Airbnb need to come up with something fairer before we all leave

Layna0
Level 9
Hermanus, ZA

And now there's the co-host issue - no more auto-profit sharing payout to your co-host via the Airbnb platform. Calculations and money transfer must be done manually.  60 days notice, starts August 1.  

Why are hosts and especially Superhosts being penalized for doing a good job? My co-host depends on this job for her livlihood. 

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

Let's face facts.  This is all about $ and sense. Airbnb serves a niche market.  Volume of room sales is what generates the income for the Airbnb platform.  Most novice Airbnb guests haven't a clue about star ratings, but look for price and then quality. Airbnb obviously makes more on multiple low price short stay  room rentals than single high quality cost longer term stays that are discounted.  Low priced high quality stays rent faster and stay full more often.  Thus the star rating system is a ploy to drive hosts to excel. Yet, there are always going to be the schlock guests who'll happily rent a schlock 3 or 4 star room to save a buck along with the guests who use threats of low ratings and reviews to intimidate hosts into doing things for guests the host may not wish to do. ( Example:" Do you mind dropping me by the grocery so I don't have to pay $3 to ride the bus or get a cab, it'll help your ratings" or worse "you do xyz and I will be sure you get a five star rating").  Poppy **bleep**!! The reality is that it is human nature to get all they can with as little effort or cash outlay as possible.  Guests that behave that way in my accommodations are politely invited to find somewhere else to stay that will better accommodate their needs or pay extra for more "goodies" or check into the local homeless shelter if they think my price seems too high. 

I don't offer wifi, I have a mobile hot spot on my phone for personal or emergency use. If guests need FREE WiFi, I suggest they trot down to McDonald or pay me an extra fee for WiFi access, so I can keep my prices down for guests who don't use wifi.  Have not had anyone pack up and leave because of no wifi. 

It makes no sense to get my knickers in a knot over a " tempoary transient" trying to change the way I run my small home based business.  I'm not a hotel looking for a 5 star rating, I'm an entrapeneur, running my own small business, accommodating travelers I personally vet, providing a uniquely vibrant   valuable  service at a reasonable price allowing strangers from all over the world to  andbecome friends, to have the marvelous experience of sharing my home, my hospitality, my knowledge of the community, my board and spare rooms. Thanks be to God, people who appreciate kindness, beauty, serenity, cleanliness, warmth  and a safe healthy place to relax and retreat have been the majority of my guests. A little kindness goes a long way.

The things they say in the reviews reflect that along with the gratitude they feel for finding a warm friendly host welcoming them "home".  The stars in their eyes and smiles on their faces from experiencing true southern hospitality with a touch of European flare are worth at least 10 stars in my book.  In their eyes, I'm not just a Super Host, but a new friend and a VALUABLE welcoming presence.   They know it and I know it before they leave, so no matter how many little stars they give, they ALL leave knowing I've done the best I could to provide a lovely safe place to rest, a home away from home, while they roam.

Put simply, Airbnb is going to do whatever they choose to do about the " star" rating system.....and it's a system that's only as good as the guests and hosts that use it.

Bottom line, you want 5 star ratings, be very selective about those for whom you provide lodging and clear about the services you provide.  Structure your business the way you want it to be, love what you do, build it step by step, don't hesitate to establish boundaries and standards, or say no to unreasonable requests or demands...and the customers and ratings will come...it's your castle...and you are it's king or queen !