Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Standards@2x (2).png

We’ve noticed a lot of discussion lately about the updated Superhost criteria, so we wanted to explain why we made this update.

The Superhost program recognizes the best and most iconic hosts on Airbnb. Since it began, in order to be a Superhost you had to meet several criteria. You had to host at least 10 stays per year, you had to have zero cancellations (except for extenuating circumstances), you had to respond to 90% of the messages you received within 24 hours, and 80% of your ratings had to be 5 stars.

The first 3 criteria are staying the same, but beginning in July, instead of needing 80% 5-star reviews, Superhosts will now need an average review score of 4.8.

There are several reasons why we decided to make this change. First and foremost, because it’s simpler and easier to understand. One of the top pieces of feedback we received about the old program criteria was that guests couldn’t intuitively understand what it took to be a  Superhost. By making the change from 80% 5-star reviews to an overall rating of 4.8, guests can more easily understand what it means to be a Superhost. Additionally, switching to an overall rating of 4.8 stars also brings consistency across our new programs like Collections and Plus, which require a 4.8 overall rating as well as several other criteria.

In looking at recent data, we estimate that between 90% to 95% of our Superhosts are going to have no problem qualifying for the Superhost program under the new criteria. Ultimately, it’s our goal to have as many Superhosts as possible and have all hosts provide amazing guest experiences worthy of stellar reviews. Our plan is to continue to closely monitor how these standards impact the Superhost program and evolve them based on what’s working and what isn’t. We truly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided so far and we look forward to working with you to bring further clarity and consistency to the program.

551 Replies 551

Agree with you, it’s fair because it’s hard to please unstable people who put their bad mood on host.

the criteria for super host should based on clean place, clean bedding, towels and to have spare towels, clean bathroom and kitchen,  working appliances and small kitchen appliances, plenty toilet paper, soap, shampoo and conditioner 

regarding tea and coffee, I am not sure why guest have right to complain of bran name or from where it’s came

the 5 star hotels never put assortments of tea., Just one type only and coffee one envelope per person 

Airbnb should not take such things into concideration and take superhost achievement out

when people making their bookings they shoul read more precisely about location of the property, amenities provided and house rules

and not blaming host for their negligence and mistakes 

The map and photos are always provided , they need to be more responsible what they choose and not blaming the host 

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

Statistical methods used by Airbnb are totally inaccurate and give a ralse impression of both host and quests.  Apparently Airbnb has not invested in people who know anything about qualitatitive and quantitative analysis or statistical methods and market(review) survey construction.

Best possible score any host can get is a total of 30 stars on each review.

(6 categories times 5 stars equals 30 stars )  thata 100 percent right

If a guests gives 4 stars in one category and 5 in all others the score is 29 stars out of 30 possible....or 29 d ivided by 30 which equals 96.66666 percent.  That score is what should be shown in the overall rating It should also be used for overall rating by adding it to the totals f rom each review..then dividing that by the number of reviews.

Thus if I get 5 reviews. 4 are 100 percent and 1 is 80 percent ...480 total points divided by 5 equals 93.25...percent....

This would make the rating scale much more accurate and FAIR

Ranges for scoring should be clearly defined and superhost status should be based upon A level performance ...90 to 100 percent of the time 

all 6 categories are 90 percent or above

5 stars in 6 Categories equals 100 percent perfection ( no need to change or improve )!

4 stars in 6 categories equals 80 percent( room to tweek things up a notch in 6 categories) but just for this outlier who is not going to sink my whole average

3 stars in 6 categories equals 60 percent...( a major outlier ) but one in 20 or 30 having a bad day is not going to blow my superhost starltus off the map and I wilp make an extra effort to white glove dust over the doorways before the next inspector general checks in!.)

Etc.  

Best possible senerio for hosts and guests would be for Airbnb to set up algorithims to translate stars into. Percentages and fairly weighting the stars guest give. 

Publishing the rating scale along with the request to review and a desc rpition of what sc our es are required to be super host and maintain that status would really help.

Eventually Airbnb should also base a weighted review score on the numbers of the of days a guest stays...long stays require consistently high performance to get 100...shoter stays require quicker advance prep..etc.

Bottom line...taoe it or leave it Airbnb is going to set things up the way that works for them...and Im going to provide super hosting experience s for my guests whether they think Im a 4 or a 5 ...I think they are fortunate to be allowed to come into my home and stay...

@Patricia0 in St Augustine, FL

No you are not right! Because many guests are not rating all categories.

Nina444
Level 3
Mytholmroyd, United Kingdom

I work extremely hard to deliver a quality experience. Most guests are wonderful, but I had one leave a four star for location, because it was raining in Yorkshire, in March. Another left a three star for cleanliness despite my using a professional cleaning company rated five stars by all my previous guests. Some guests are beyond unreasonable, some will try to get discounts or find fault where no fault lies. I offer a rural cottage in the Pennines, it's not the Hilton, nor does it pretend to be. It's Country Living, not Vanity Fair. My guests generally love the rustic furniture and homely feel I create, but if anyone is expecting state of the art modernity this isn't the right location for them.

Equally, if a Superhost has a problem guest, perhaps one who violates terms and conditions, or damages the property, that guest can leave a negative review without explanation and the host has no redress. How is that fair?

I am reviewing my relationship with Airbnb. Right now, the love affair is floundering and I'm looking at other other options. Every week I get other booking platforms trying to tempt me to join them, many of them offer reliable host protection and uphold cancelation policies without expecting hosts to cover the costs.

There seems little appreciation for what hosts contribute. I loved the idea of a community centred supportive platform.Why is it changing?

@Nina444  "There seems little appreciation for what hosts contribute. I loved the idea of a community centred supportive platform.Why is it changing?"

Greed.

@Nina444 @Sarah977

Greed. And hosts meekly rolling over and routinely allowing themselves to be used, abused and expoloited by a behemoth global corporation, to satisfy that greed.  

Air bnb - without feedback from the hosts this is impossibly dependent on the mood of the guest!  I had a guest recently text me demanding to check in an hour early - because "they had bought food and needed it to be refridgerated".  I answered during my work day that I couldn't accomodate that but they could certainly check in at the agreed upon time.  Because I had a client and they had to wait 45 min for my reply, they lowered my "communication" stars - despite the fact that they weren't even supposed to be on the property and it was within an hour.

I have had value lowered because they didn't like the price...etc..... knowing it ahead of time.  What else are we hosts supposed to do to retain this perfect score, when we literally go above and beyond for our guests!!?  

Do the right thing - at least check in with your superhosts so we have a chance to continue our good work. 

Russell141
Level 2
Nokomis, FL

They are basically saying Airbnb host are stupid, and i guess we are for busting our buts to represent a company that doesn't care less about US.... Thats why im closing my account... The "smart" superhosts WILL LEAVE.....

Rebecca251
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

I’ve never got to super host because of these reasons. A really important point here, and for legal aspects, is that when we join and put up our room we are asked to state what ‘We’ Can provide, not to insist to their programme. This means that the critique is moot. We are encouraged also by Airbnb advertising to provide ‘what we want to’. The point here is that anything they say we are lacking by not providing an expectation of there’s should not be posted as technically speaking they are subscribing to our personal choice of provision. 

Serge12
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb has become The Big Brother that knows better than us the superhosts. Sadly Airbnb is getting too big and autocratic for its own good

Lisa494
Level 2
Mount Hawthorn, Australia

My Superhost status has just been removed today. From reading much of the above comments it seems near impossible to be a Superhost these days. All you need is one apple to spoil all the cider 😞

I have emailed Airbnb and am awaiting an explaination but now as I don't have my Superhost status I wonder if I will actually receive the prompt reply I have grown accustomed to.

I'm feeling somewhat dejected.

Helen511
Level 2
Keswick, United Kingdom

Yes I quite agree. If someone is rude,  or having a bad day etc etc, they could easily give a bad and very likely inaccurate review and we lose a point or whatever and look as if we are not good hosts. We got a bad  review from a woman who also hosts, and in her listing she fines people if they don't put rubbish in the outside rubbish bins. However, she left the rubbish for me to put out in the inside bins here though. I'm afraid we are dealing with some lovely people but yes there are a few bad apples who spoil the cider definitely. 

Richard354
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Most guests do not know, or care, about superhosts....they want value for money. 

This is absolutely true @Richard354. However, superhosts already give value for money, plus some extras, otherwise, they wouldn’t get those five stars! 🙂

@Richard354  All fine and true, but what is "value"?  Airbnb never defines what that word means for our guests.  Thus, each guest can determine the rubric for deciding what this word means.  Airbnb needs to define the terms for star ratings so our guests know what they are actually evaluating.