Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Airbnb
Official Account

Clarity about the recent Superhost criteria change

Standards@2x (2).png

We’ve noticed a lot of discussion lately about the updated Superhost criteria, so we wanted to explain why we made this update.

The Superhost program recognizes the best and most iconic hosts on Airbnb. Since it began, in order to be a Superhost you had to meet several criteria. You had to host at least 10 stays per year, you had to have zero cancellations (except for extenuating circumstances), you had to respond to 90% of the messages you received within 24 hours, and 80% of your ratings had to be 5 stars.

The first 3 criteria are staying the same, but beginning in July, instead of needing 80% 5-star reviews, Superhosts will now need an average review score of 4.8.

There are several reasons why we decided to make this change. First and foremost, because it’s simpler and easier to understand. One of the top pieces of feedback we received about the old program criteria was that guests couldn’t intuitively understand what it took to be a  Superhost. By making the change from 80% 5-star reviews to an overall rating of 4.8, guests can more easily understand what it means to be a Superhost. Additionally, switching to an overall rating of 4.8 stars also brings consistency across our new programs like Collections and Plus, which require a 4.8 overall rating as well as several other criteria.

In looking at recent data, we estimate that between 90% to 95% of our Superhosts are going to have no problem qualifying for the Superhost program under the new criteria. Ultimately, it’s our goal to have as many Superhosts as possible and have all hosts provide amazing guest experiences worthy of stellar reviews. Our plan is to continue to closely monitor how these standards impact the Superhost program and evolve them based on what’s working and what isn’t. We truly appreciate the feedback you’ve provided so far and we look forward to working with you to bring further clarity and consistency to the program.

551 Replies 551
Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

Airbnb does not use statistically sound methology when tallying the results of star ratings. I recently had a guest rate several areas 3 or 4 but overall rating was 5 so what is the star rating that counts in my 4

8 pluse superhost rating.?  Hosts are not provided with a clear understanding of the definitions of how the rating scale is even valid.  No wonder guests " dont get it "! 

Shampoo prsent but 1/2 full = 3 stars ??

Towels foldided to look like zoo creatures = 5 stats vs folded neatly in thirsdlds and hung on rack in bath =3 stars vs no towels or towels obviously soiled not clean and left damp hangoing on wooden and upholstered furniture instead of hook or towel rack provided = 0 to1 star...

Where. is the guest star rating for " arrived on time with valid government ID in hand? 

Wheres the atar rating for used less than 5 rolls of toilet paper in 24 hours or placed trash recepticle outside of room and informed host its in need of being emptied...

Hosts rate guests in 3 categories vs guests rating hosts in six. ...Then they slam you in the review.  ...go figure...and please if you want to be a superhost take a MIND READING course...understanding that guests can change their minds at the drop of the hat...go figure...

Or heres the corker. You ask guests if evertlything is okay..myes fine is the response...2 and 3 stars " she was a great host "...

Solution: i document in my responses and critques issues and problems that arise with guestsm. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patricia1008  Only the Overall rating is the one that is counted for your 4.8 Superhost average.

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

Thank you Sarah for your input.

My point actually was that the rating methodologiy is not accurate and criteria are not specific nor are they explained in a way that clearly defines what a 5 in cleanliness vs a 3 means. 

And someone can rate each category a 5 then give you am overall rating of 3.  There are 6 numbers involved in the rating all six should be added together and total divided by 6 to have an ACCURATE overall rating.

The other part of the rating issue is that hosts only rate guests in 3 categories...not 6. There is no category for client behavior.  " tirned off lights in rooms not in use, flushed toilet and put lid down after use, took off muddy shoes before entering the house. Hung damp towels in the bathroom on hooks.. Kept their personal belongings in their room.  Cleaned tub or shower after use. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patricia1008  Yes, I was just answering your question in the first paragraph of your post asking what is the star rating that counts towards the 4.8 Superhost rating.

You won't get any argument from me as to how flawed the star rating system is. I wish they'd do away with the star ratings altogether and just let the written reviews speak for themselves.

Personally I wouldn't want to see a bunch of pages we had to fill out on guests like whether they left wet towels wadded up on the floor or furniture, or put the toilet seat down. Guests generally fall into 3 categories when it comes to cleanliness- they're either clean and respectful, leave something to be desired, or are total disrespectful slobs. So a 1, 2, or 3 star rating for cleanliness, as well as house rules would work for me.

That guests are asked to slog through pages of review questions like whether the listing had toilet paper and towels is equally ridiculous to me. 

Thanks Sarah I have to agree for the most part.  In my experience thusfar, its usually the ones who pay the least who are the least complimentary and rate the lowest.  Ive learned over time to show the facilities and explain the " house rules " to the guests on arrival before they officially "check in" . I ask if they are satisfied with the accomodations before I have them sign in and basically tell them if its not what they expected they could cancel and AIRBNB would help them find other accomodations. That helps to head off problems from the get go.  I have very good instincts...and I decline requests to book if Im not comfortable with the responses or lack there of that I receive.  Ive had potential guests threaten me prior to check in...and Airbnb "support" side with the guest ...so even as a " Superhost " I am aware that Airbnb may not always be the " super platform" and hospitality company they boast about being.  " Anyone accepted anywhere "??? is their first very unrealistic guiding principle.  My house, my listing, my rules is mine...and blackmailing me with threats of loosing Superhost status on the basis of a wild haired opinion of one " outlier guest" doesnt cut it with me.  It only increases the red flags I see with Airbnb s "universal acceptance" of anyone anything goes as long as they get paid for providing the platform to put anyone anywhere  in your property !" 

Robin114
Level 3
Lewisburg, WV

I agree. I charge less  than half of what our local hotels charge.

I explain the accommodations  are basic, and my house is small.

That being said, I provide a coffee maker, their own bathroom, fresh towels , access to Netflix, and snacks.

And still get 3 value ratings?

With Airbnb now collecting extra fees on the government  behalf,  I am considering  dropping out. Those fees add 10 more dollars that I don't  see, but makes guests less inclined to give a high value rating.

@Robin114  This is a major problem and Airbnb simply doesn't address it.  Peopel have been talking about this problem for the last few years.  The company needs to define the terms to guests and also provide a standard rubric for calculating the star ratings.  It's really quite simple.  

I find it very unprofessional of a guest when value is rated inaccurately.  Like you, we also charge much less than local hotels.  We provide coffee, free super fast wifi, endless hot water, a beautiful view, and a lovely quite space.  How can that not get 5 stars for "value"?

Robin114
Level 3
Lewisburg, WV

Is there another platform?

I would love a separate platform, for people who just rent rooms in their homes, as opposed to professional  renters.

W-C-and-Elly0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

So Basically, a Superhost for 5 years and you are now making me feel that a 4.7 rating is not good hosting!? I feel you are turning your back on the hosts that helped build you up Airbnb. Furthermore, we get rated on the percentage of guests that review us instead of how many we review?! Seems to me once again you care more about your guests than hosts and I'm deeply hurt by your lack of concern for your super hosts. 

Rebecca251
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

There is also the ever present problem of varying standards when guests reveiw.  Some people simply don't understand shabby chic for example, no matter how many £'000 you may have spent! I had some Americans visit and their primary concern was that such and old building (260 years old, nothing by English standards) could even still be lived in at all! While this limited perception is not addessed by a secondary vetting process to protect hosts, one day everything can be happy and rosy, and the next some new build tech geek guest comes to stay, who has not read the blurb before booking and your knocked out for the count..........................

Marcia316
Level 2
Plainville, MA

This change to criteria is terrible. We mostly have long term guests. It’s not fair that a short-term guest who demanded a free night, was able to punish us by taking away our Superhost status with a 1 star review. We are at 90% 5-stars. A single 1-star should for a 4 day stay, should not be able to kick a host out of Superhost status.

Completely agree. Or because they choose to  violates house rule and we pointing it out to them like bringing a Pets , having a party, having additional guests without disclosure, smoking in the house,

AirBnB please have hosts  be able to remove any 3  reviews with in a physical year. 

Have a Prosperous week

Lynn53
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Yes very unfair. My newly renovated property was substantially damaged by a guest who then proceeded to give me 2 stars! 

When I asked for them to repaint the walls that their child had scribbled on ( about 6 walls and a door), pay for broken light fittings and replace then newly installed child safety gate as they had lost parts and it no longer worked- their response was that is part and parcel of leasing that they can't help what children do!

I was shocked as I am a mother an my child doesn't write on our walls or break things that are ours little lone other people's property!!!

When I took the case up with Airbnb their response was that the guest is entitled to their opinion and as they haven't breached the terms and conditions of Airbnb then their review and rating will remain.

What can you do as a host.......nothing as there will be many more new hosts lured to the business with the idea they can make money for jam ( little do they know as anyone who is serious knows it is hard work,  requires dedication, effort and spending money to make money) ......they will then get burnt leave etc......

Look after yourselves hosts......I now just ignore the many emails I get from Airbnb to lower prices and give discounts as this is what usually attracts the riff raff followed by headaches, damage and fall out!!

Bella18
Level 3
San Francisco, CA

Very very sad and unfair to the host from Airbnb side

if such guest stayed in the small private  hotel do you think such guests can ever go away with this type of behavior ? This is why they taking security deposit upfront in case of any damage. 

Airbnb is also has policy for security deposit, but how it works is unclear.

i have noticed that some of the guests just have jealous filling toward host and tried to make negative things just for purpose , just to satisfied their pay to host

Airbnb is never explained to guest how their payments breaks, they have no idea they paying 14% of their pay as a tax to the city and this is not going to host.

They have no clue Airbnb takes from host fees for advertising and other things and host pay taxes for every penny they earned.

My suggestion to you is to calculate damage and place it toward your income tax as loses.

i did this last year when bran new electrical cook top guest damaged by placing measuring cup, made from plastic to warm some liquid and plastic dissolved into the heating plates and cook top was ruined

i made picture from the cook top, place the purchase check from and deduct as a loss from income tax

its absolutely legal because we all run officially registered business .

same things I did for coffee maker when they break bran new ,just from the store 

just keep records and receipts as a proofs in case of IRS check up

dont ever call Airbnb just write to them about bed behavior and loses made by guests. Check with your tax advisor about loses, they will advise you properly.

a

Nina444
Level 3
Mytholmroyd, United Kingdom

I have put my property up for sale and will be ending my hosting with Airbnb this year. I offered an experience, and my cottage was carefully curated to create a welcoming country home. If Airbnb wants to offer a homogenized soulless platform, carry on. I'm out.