Compliments to the host

Administrator

Surfacing Kudos Article Image.jpg

There’s nothing like getting a “job well done!” when you’ve worked hard. And so many of you do go the extra mile to create magical stays for your guests. Our team that works on reviews knows how much positive feedback matters. So during one team brainstorm, they came up with this idea: What if we gave guests a way to quickly and easily specify what was so great about their stay with a host? We could identify the most common themes that guests love about their top-rated trips and list them out for guests to choose from. Fast forward to today and their idea is coming to life. Here are the top seven themes that emerged:

All_compliments@2x.png

Now when a guest gives their trip an overall rating of 4-5 stars, they’re automatically prompted to give a little more detail about what made it memorable. Guests can choose as many of the seven compliments as they like, and (as always) they can elaborate on their experience in their own words in public or private feedback. So the next time you wow your guests, here’s what they’ll see:

Review_flow@2x.png

And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style. The team is adding the final touches to this feature on the web, so soon you’ll see the Compliments section when you’re on your computer as well.

Detailed_review@2x.png

There’s more soon to come. We’re working on ways to make these compliments show up in guest searches so that they can see what makes your hospitality shine. It’s another way to help set guest expectations and reach your hosting goals. Whether you already have a few compliments, or you’re looking forward to that first one, we’re cheering you on.

Labels (1)
491 Replies
Christine in
Glenbrook, Australia
Level 10

Thank you very much for this effort to encourage positive feedback from guests. I really appreciate the attempt to encourage guests to reflect on things from a positive viewpoint.

Christine 

Colleen in
Frisco, CO
Level 10

Hey! 

Those are great ideas! Feedback is always helpful. I had heard people complaining about guests being asked too many questions at review. Do you think additional questions are burdensome to the guests? I have noticed fewer reviews recently. @Airbnb

Susan in
Oregon, United States
Level 10

Thank you for evaluating this expansion.  I offer my guests several opportunities for suggestions in addition to the public and private feedback guest and host are already afforded.  

I appreciate the effort to “tease out” more positive details of what makes each stay special and offer the following based on my experience:

1- please make it very clear to the guest what each category includes

2- state that this new level of feedback must be based on actual guest experience

3- the attributes being evaluated are within the hosts’ control.

For example the “location” category could get tricky because of the following :

1- google maps and other gps services that often give inaccurate directions

2- bookings in a busy city are not going to be perfectly quiet

3- bookings in rural locations with few stores, restaurants and neighbors nearby etc...this may be new to those unaccustomed, but are not a reason to penalize a host 

4- the weather is not included in the evaluation or within host control

It would be helpful to offer some boundarie / qualifiers like:

1- was location type as described?  If not why?(ex: listing stated “entire place,” quiet with “panoramic views” but I arrived to find a single room in the basement of a shared house with noise and foot traffic overhead, view is a fence blocking a busy noisy street, and the only sweeping view possible is from the second storey master bedroom that isn’t offered.

2- Did it have the number of rooms and type of rooms as described (full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, #bedrooms...)

3- Did it have amenities described? (ex: free parking/fireplace/hot tub/#beds, breakfast/full kitchen...)

and so on...

Thank you for requesting feedback.

Olivier in
France
Level 10

@Airbnb

"And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style." >>> I suppose it's still a test as I don't have any Compliment section on my android app (such as a vast majority of hosts I'm in contact with in EU).

Quite redundant and messy improvement when those feedback (adding the 2nd part you didn't speak about: "missing amenities") are asked ONLY in english. I think you are not familiar to the fact only 50% French people do NOT understand English.

If you add that the sign you used to tick something NOT AVAILABLE is a cross (X) and that, at least in FR, a cross is only use to validate if something is OK you will understand why hosts could be livid when receiving glowing 5☆ reviews we are warned guests informed you that all amenities listed are NOT available...

A positive mind would ask what IS really available...

Bianca.Emily.Tony in
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Level 3

Do guests really understand what you mean by "outstanding hospitality". 

I don't think it is clear what this really entails.

Sandra in
Daylesford, Australia
Level 10

Airbnb has many great ideas, but I am not sure this is one of them. Now that we have seen it in action for a while, I would definitely prefer if it wasn't placed so high up on the listing, before the blurb. It is rather meaningless, which the blurb isn't.

Manasui in
Bali, Indonesia
Level 3

Yeeiii.. awsome upgrade.. uo up up and away... 

Sam in
Woolloomooloo, Australia
Level 3

I think it's a total waste of time. The review section should not be tedious. Asking a guest so many questions only pushes them away from reviewing a host. The reveiw section should be equal between the guest and the host. As a host, I get my review done in a couple of minutes but when I am a guest, I am bombarded with questions and rating this and that and I end up not bothering with it all.

The whole review system is flaud and really does need serious reform. It is only geared towards benefiting the guests and not the hosts.

Crystal in
Central Coast, Australia
Level 9

i have seen and heard complaints regarding the review process being too laborious. It’s not supposed to be a rectal exam but it’s heading that way! 

Crystal in
Central Coast, Australia
Level 9

@Sam Completely agree, it’ become some overblown process. Its a couple of nights stay in an Airbnb for chrissakes, not reviewing the appointment of a Supreme Court justice. It needs to be short and simple and efficient. 

Bronwyn in
Wandandian, Australia
Level 9

Some very good points raised, there, Susan.... I get a lot of very kind reviews but occasionally people give less stars for location, as we are a small country town, albeit only about 20 mins (or even less) from many of the loveliest attractions in this region.... they book, knowing it is a quiet semi-rural property and yet at the same time seem to decide it could be better if it was closer to a busier town... just something you can't have both ways! The style of questions you are suggesting make a lot of sense to me! Thanks!

Level 3

First and firemost, there is a miscommunication between Airbnb and our guests. Our guests do  not know that Airbnb has set a very high standard for its hosts and hosts are expected to have an average of 4.7*. I had a few guests giving us 4* for such a petty things (we left green and cammomile teas and they prefer English breakfast etc) and they were thinking 4 starts was still great. They did not know that AIrbnb removes the lsitings which continuosly fall below 4.5*. Airbnb must communicate that to the guests if it wants to make a review process fair and transparent on both sides.

Also, the guests who make mistake because they did not read the listing properly and as a result of that cancel the booking or decide not to stay, should not ever be allowed to leave the review. The only reviews we ever had any major issues with are those left by the guests who did not read he listing before they made the reservation (our photos show the patio and garden while they expected a view of the pool, they book one room but they wanted whole apartment etc).

Maria in
Quezon City, Philippines
Level 2

I really appreciate this development. Thanks AirBnb. In addition to feedback, I hope they also disable the review button for those guests who did not show up. There are those who ask for refund and give you bad feedback if you decline their request. Guests who did not stay should not be able to review. Or to make it simple, there should be a button for both host and guest where we  can indicate if there is a no show. I just went through this situation yesterday where there was a no show and wanted me to let them offset it to another day. The guest felt entitled and  I was accused of being greedy. Airbnb promised me that if they will leave a negative review, they will delete it. They still have 10 days left to make a review but just imagine the agony of waiting. I hope we wont have to go through all the hassles if it can be prevented once they did not show up.

Jer in
Philippines
Level 2

This is so true.. this happened to me recently. I always put a lot of effort in every guest/s I have:(

Sangeeta in
New Delhi, India
Level 3

Mostly at the end of it,sounds like a win-win situation for all! Yes,sometimes situations gdo get tricky!

Pratigya in
Pokhara, Nepal
Level 1

Some people book the rooms for the basic price and they expect the guest rooms to have all the 5 star hotel amenities. And then give very low ratings. How does anyone deal with that? 

Dixie in
Dunsborough, Australia
Level 10

I agree with you Bronwyn. I get 4 stars quite often for location when it is clearly stated in my listing that it is 2kms to downtown and a little further to the beach (and it is very obvious from the map). I have to ask myself, why would they book my place at $65 a night when there are plenty of places to choose from that are twice the price and upwards which have the location they appear to want? Got me flumoxed. Makes me wonder if they've just seen the price and the pics and thought "wow" that looks good, and it's one of the cheapest places listed, without even reading a word about the listing. I don't really think making the listing more cumbersome is a good idea for me.

Dixie in
Dunsborough, Australia
Level 10

Couldn't agree more Sam.

Dixie in
Dunsborough, Australia
Level 10

Crystal, I love your comments.

Samantha in
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level 2

Though I am new for Airbnb hosting. I feel this will be a great development to enhance the visibility of review results. This will further empower and strong our guests to get the best for their stay. Yes it is no doubt that it will be a true compliment. And as some colleagues hosts noted, the process should be very simple and easy for the guest. I take this opportunity to appreciate those innovatve efforts of the Airbnb team. Let us test this with positive mind. 

Dixie in
Dunsborough, Australia
Level 10

Totally agree with everything you say Sandy. I think Airbnb need to make it very clear to guests what the review process is about. I always write a review for my guests and I never ask them to write a review for me ... I believe that is their choice. If we do a good job, we have come to expect 5 stars from our guests who do review us. I have to admit I get a bit downhearted sometimes knowing the effort I've gone to to make everything in my pad as good as possible and then to get 4 stars for one of the categories. My husband tells me to get over it as he reviews a lot on Trip Advisor and says for even the best places we've stayed in (not Airbnb) in our price range, it would have to be really exceptional for him to give 5 stars. I do wonder at times if some guests who choose to write a review, just want to get it done and over with in the shortest amount of time.  

Edel in
England, United Kingdom
Level 1

Airbnb, this is just “change for the sake of change”. Keep it simple, the old system worked. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Listen to your hosts! It’s a bad idea. 

Judy & Chris in
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
Level 2

I couldn't agree more, Sam.

Jo-Anne in
Robina, Australia
Level 1

I agree re location. I am 15 minutes from the beach and theme parks but close to trains, buses, motorway, large shopping centres etc and this is all on my page but still I get "could be closer to Surfer's Paradise". This is the only 4 star that I have ever received and it pulls my rating down.

Judy & Chris in
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
Level 2

I couldn't agree more, Edel. Keep it simple.

Holiday Rental Services Byron Bay in
Byron Bay, Australia
Level 2

I have extensive Compendium notes which we email to our Guests who book with other Websites as we are given their email addresses.  I think Airbnb should allow for importing of JPEG or PDF files in the local recommendations section.  We have separated all our local information

Coffee in Byron Shire

Relax in Byron Shire

Beaches in Byron Shire

Shopping in Byron Shire

Sites in Byron Shire

Can't input all of that in your categories so most Airbnb'ers miss out.  We print and have at the House but it's not available on their booking info...

Kim in
Torquay, Australia
Level 2

What happened to the expression, keep it simple stupid .. I tried Booking.com for a week and the whole process is so complicated and time consuming with 1 listing Key alone the other 5 I have. Make sure you guys look outside the box, don’t lose sight of the real product you set out to achieve at the start..mooned going to want to do a review if it’s not a 2 minute commitment .. goes for the host reviewing the Guest as well. 

Jo in
Brno, Czech Republic
Level 2

Great Progress, however a "Pre-trip Induction' tab would be super.  With Instant Book, we have a lot of newbies who need to be babysat to (a) the whole airbnb thing and (b) to the area. Regarding (b) the system still blocks us from ulpaoding our awesome  guidebook which is very poor from airbnb.....3 years after first complaining.

Holiday Rental Services in
Byron Bay, Australia
Level 1

I have extensive Compendium notes which we email to our Guests who book with other Websites as we are given their email addresses.  I think Airbnb should allow for importing of JPEG or PDF files in the local recommendations section.  We have separated all our local information

Coffee in Byron Shire

Relax in Byron Shire

Beaches in Byron Shire

Shopping in Byron Shire

Sites in Byron Shire

Can't input all of that in your categories so most Airbnb'ers miss out.  We print and have at the House but it's not available on their booking info...

Rhona in
Skerray, United Kingdom
Level 3

Yes, as I had to complete a guest review for the first time in a while I was very surprised how long it took, no wonder so many guests give up before the end!  Also I didn't get a chance to see my entire review before posting and was reluctant to complete, if the accommodation hadn't been so special I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Jo in
Brno, Czech Republic
Level 2

totally agree

Kim in
Cape Town, South Africa
Level 4

I had a woman insist she booked a garden cottage with a pool when in fact she’d booked my apartment on the 4th floor with a magnificent view of the beach!!! I had to get mediation and to make it simple I refunded her and told her to leave!Air Bnb needs to sort these “stupid” people out and make sure they can’t use the platform! They are too much admin!

Susan in
Oxford, United Kingdom
Level 1

Recently when reviewing a place where we had just stayed, I was puzzled by the question about whether the place was as I expected. It was what I expected - very nice - but if I checked the middle box does that imply that the place is just middle-of-the-road, rather than excellent?

Linda in
Aberdour, United Kingdom
Level 2

Yes, I totally agree that guests should be asked to qualify any  response which is not 4/5 stars in certain catagories.  If things are exactly as described, then hosts should not be penalised because guests failed to read details, and found trip was not what was expected, or because the accommodation was not as luxurious as others they may have used previously as has happened. 

Guests need to reflect on their requirements - if they want to be handy for pubs hotels shops and public transport, they they should not be able to complain that they are on a main road!

Sally in
Australia
Level 1

This will be great for a new host like myself as I will get more specific feedback on where I am doing well and hopefully working towards being a superhost 😊

Jules in
Dymock, United Kingdom
Level 2

I don’t think they do..... I had one guest stating ‘ the problem I had’ was because of my 5 * rating people were expecting 5* hotel accommodation....... completely oblivious of the fact that they were staying in someone’s home!!!!! 

Graham in
South Australia, Australia
Level 6

I agree the review process should be simple, not tedious.   I have been an Airbnb guest a few times over the last two years and the review process has gone from putting a few words together to an exam.   Now you have more boxes to tick.   What are you doing Airbnb - dumbing it down for the incapable?

Incessant requests for feedback are a sign of the times.   Even if you just buy a carton of milk these days,  when you get home there are emails on every device and sms's asking "How did we do?"; "Tell us how we can improve"; "How was your shopping experience today?"; etc, etc.   Consumers are over devoting their own free time and effort to help service providers determine how much further they can cut their customer service levels.   It gets to the point where consumers completely ignore reviews and feedback requests period.

Airbnb, have you analysed the review rate?   Here are my own stats of percentage of guests who write reviews:

Jan-Mar quarter : 83%

Apr-Jun quarter : 73% 

Jul-Sep quarter : 50%

Oct-Dec quarter to date : 20%

This is from a total of 50 guest groups.  The trend is unmistakeable.

The idea of a reciprocal review system is very good, but please keep it simple.     The review system for guests should be no more complicated than that for hosts - a few words of one's own choosing and a rating for 3 categories.   K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid!!

Regards,

Graham.  

Andy in
United Kingdom
Level 2

Great, but, top of my list is to get rid of the anomaly where guests give 5 stars in all categories, then 4 overall. There is no logical reason why it should be allowed. I can't mark a guest a 5 in comms, rules & cleanliness and score then 4 overall, so why would it woek the other way. Straight 5s should mean 5 overall. I've had it 3 or 4 times, and it's frustrating because it potentially affects my superhost status.

Melanie in
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Level 2

I agree with Sandy in that we have found that some guests think the star rating on Airbnb is  the same as a hotel rating. We have had people write a fantastic review and then give 4 stars. When we asked what we could have done better they said nothing, that everything was perfect and they thought only 'luxury' accomodation would be a 5 star. It would be really good if Airbnb educated guests a bit more about how the ratings work.

We have also noticed that some people don't seem to check the description properly or look at all the photos.

Robert in
Split, Croatia
Level 4

I love that gay touch!

Basically, you are not doing anything to stop extortion reviews. 

Denise in
Ireland
Level 3

Many guests don't read what's written to describe the listing & are then disappointed when they arrive. I wonder if there was a way of highlighting certain things would this help? I also wonder about guests who give 5* for everything but only 4* for final review - which is the most important one - think they should be asked to explain. Don't know if this is a good or bad addition, maybe trialing it for a short period would be good idea.

Manik in
Clayton, Australia
Level 5

Brilliant feedback Susan as Location is where most hosts loose out according to feedback. Location should be where the accommodation is located if it’s accurately portrayed  and the amenities and description of the property is accurate as we all can’t live right next to a supermarket and a bunch of coffee shops and restaurants. In that case the guests should book a Hotel 

Glenda in
Gold Coast, Australia
Level 2

The old proverb "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind with these changes to the review system. Isn't "great place" and  "great host" enough! I know myself when a review for something asks a heap of questions I will most likely not bother to do the review at all. Same goes for lengthy comments so that's all I'm saying!

Melissa in
Bavaria, Germany
Level 2

I'm often disappointed when guests who have really enjoyed their stay, don't leave a review. I think guests should be rated on whether they review or not. 

Jack in
Bangkok, Thailand
Level 3

My Property is in a beautiful quiet location by a national park and many of my guests love the place for its beauty and quieteness. There are few amenities within walking distance but lots of restarants, beaches, shops  and sightseeing easily accessible by bike or car. I make all this very clear in my listing.

All but one guest out of 87 so far have given me 5 stars for accuracy but over 30% give me 4 stars for location, whilst giving me 5 stars for everything else 

I love the idea of questons like "Was the location as described?"

Jennie in
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Level 2

Further feedback from guests is always nice. Maybe I'm being picky, but where it asks what they love 'most', it implies they should only pick one.  Maybe remove the 'most' from the end? 

Manik in
Clayton, Australia
Level 5

Very valid point and I have a lot of Aisian guests who speak little or no English I have to beat information out of them and it’s very frustrating 

Joy in
Poitiers, France
Level 1

Bearing in mind that the guests choose the location of the accommodation themselves, and the owners don't physically pick it up and move it between booking and arrival,  can you please get rid of the scoring on 'location'.  if guests want to be in the peace and quiet, it' their own fault if they book somewhere in town and vice versa - accommodation shouldn't be marked downbecause of bad guest choices.

Stephanie in
Deloraine, Australia
Level 2

Hi airbnb
I like the idea of the new logos for review, and also agree with the sentiments of most people have shared already, it should be keeping the review process as simple as possible and not taking longer.

Arthur And Megan in
Montville, Australia
Level 3

Dear AirBnB, I think perhaps your team is loosing touch with the reality of hosting and the reality of being a guest. I agree with the preceding comments that you are making the review process for guests far too laborious. We are Superhosts, and have been so for 20 consecutive quarters, and what we have noticed in the past 6 months is that the review process for guests is now so convoluted and long that some of our guests give up before finishing a review - time is a precious commodity in a busy world, so why are you demanding so much time of our guests to complete their review? Whilst AirBnB may think it is helping hosts by asking guests for as much feedback as possible the unintended consequence of your lengthy guest review process is that guests give up on the process, and it therefore places a host's Superhost status in jeopardy because, through no fault of their own and for reasons entirely outside their control, they are unable to maintain the required number of 5 star reviews when guests don't have the time or the patience to work their way through the long review process. AirBnB - please reconsider the ridiculously lengthy guest review process. You need to replace it with a process that asks probably no more than 5 short questions and provides for comments from the guest. The questions you ask of guests for their feedback MUST CLEARLY be placed into context that the guest has to consider; such as, feedback on Location must very clearly be placed in the context of "was it as described by the host in the listing" - make sure it is made clear to the guest that their feedback must be based on them having read the full description of the listing and therefore their feedback is in relation to how the accommodation actually compared to the listing description. We are a rural property and quite clearly say so in our listing and describe the local amenities, yet some of our guests have later told us that when they completed their review they thought the 'Location' question in the review process meant they had to say if it was close to shops or beach etc but not that it was in relation to the listing description they read when they booked. Consequently some guests marked us as less than 5 stars for location because we are not near a beach and the nearest supermarket is 4km away and because there is no public transport, even though our listing clearly describes the local area and states there is no public transport! Where is the fairness in a process that is misleading and that unintentionally prompts a guest to make critical assessment of something despite that it is already made clear to them in the listing description at the time they make their booking. Pretty symbols to reflect compliments to the host are all well and good, but please AirBnB, you need to completely overhaul your guest review process to make it practical, less time consuming, and relevant and related to the host's listing description. Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Comment
You must log in to join this conversation.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: