Compliments to the host

Airbnb
Official Account

Compliments to the host

Surfacing Kudos Article Image.jpg

There’s nothing like getting a “job well done!” when you’ve worked hard. And so many of you do go the extra mile to create magical stays for your guests. Our team that works on reviews knows how much positive feedback matters. So during one team brainstorm, they came up with this idea: What if we gave guests a way to quickly and easily specify what was so great about their stay with a host? We could identify the most common themes that guests love about their top-rated trips and list them out for guests to choose from. Fast forward to today and their idea is coming to life. Here are the top seven themes that emerged:

All_compliments@2x.png

Now when a guest gives their trip an overall rating of 4-5 stars, they’re automatically prompted to give a little more detail about what made it memorable. Guests can choose as many of the seven compliments as they like, and (as always) they can elaborate on their experience in their own words in public or private feedback. So the next time you wow your guests, here’s what they’ll see:

Review_flow@2x.png

And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style. The team is adding the final touches to this feature on the web, so soon you’ll see the Compliments section when you’re on your computer as well.

Detailed_review@2x.png

There’s more soon to come. We’re working on ways to make these compliments show up in guest searches so that they can see what makes your hospitality shine. It’s another way to help set guest expectations and reach your hosting goals. Whether you already have a few compliments, or you’re looking forward to that first one, we’re cheering you on.

507 Replies 507

Is the ‘compliment’ section still there when guests give their review? My first 10 guests all used this facility but my last 15 guests haven’t used it at all despite the majority giving 5 stars and singling out specific things in their review. Seems a little strange?

It's gone, @Amanda1714 @Airbnb.  I don't know why, although I suspect it's something to do with the revamped Performance tab.

@Amanda1714 @Ann72 

It is no longer part of the review questions. Below is what guests are now asked and it is kept anonymous. Maybe in the future, Airbnb will pool responses and share them with hosts?

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 1.04.52 PM.png

@Emilia42  Very interesting and good to know! 

On the one hand, I like that "quick to respond" is first; on the other, I don't like "flexible check-out" and "helped store bags," as they seem to raise unreasonable expectations!

I also don't like the fact that "welcome gift" is there, either.
It puts unreasonable pressure on hosts to provide this and at the same time raises the future expectations of the guests to anticipate a welcome gift at their next booking.
This sets them up for disappointment and the host for a poorer review when it's not provided.
We provide accommodations, not gifts that the guests have not specifically asked for.
We provide clean, affordable accommodations in an area that has very few options for those on a lower budget. We can't afford to provide a welcome basket without upping our rates. We did try it for a bit, but most people never bothered with it and the expense cut into our bottom line too much.
It simply wasn't worth the time, effort, and money spent and I personally am a bit put off that it's expected.
Specific review questions and specific categories should only be about what a host is *required* to provide.
The comments section of the review is the proper place for guests to mention any extras that were provided.

It’s so very Airbnb to take away ‘compliments’ for hosts, and add the ‘welcome basket’, ‘flexible check in’ and ‘helped store bags’. This change is clearly designed to manipulate hosts to offer more to guests. ‘Compliments’ was the same idea, just more subtle.

I agree this pressures hosts and raises guest expectation…exactly the intention. Not liking it. At all.

Side note…it really would be nice if they would slim down the review process for guests. It’s onerous. 

It would also be nice if they didn't allow guests to review when the reservation has been cancelled. That's just wrong, especially if a guest never arrived.

@Emilia42 out of curiosity, is this screencap for a listing in shared accommodations or a standalone home? I can see why "helping store bags" would make sense if you're renting out room in your own home, but if not, I completely agree that this is over the top. I routinely have guests arriving the same day a separate set is departing, especially now with visitor traffic surging & Airbnb having thankfully gotten rid of its 24-hour window for mandatory sanitation theater. (Which was silly in the first place, considering the extreme unlikelihood of anyone catching it from aerosol breaths lingering in a given unit, or from any infected surface.)

That said, I do have guests occasionally ask to store luggage, and if possible I try to accommodate them – even if it means putting them in the trunk of my personal car, assuming the guests didn't drive to town or rent a car while here. Until the recent shortages of rental cars nearly everywhere, I had about a 50-50 mix of folks with cars (I have parking available at all of my units) and ones who chose to get around mainly via rideshares.

But welcome gifts? Seriously? Even on Airbnb Plus I've never heard of any hosts offering all guests welcome baskets of some sort. (I do, however, field requests for special-occasion pre-arrival events such as a birthday or anniversary, though I always request reimbursement for anything more than, say, a bouquet of flowers.) My only "baskets" are the ones in my bathrooms with extra toiletries in case a guest left something at home, e.g. toothbrushes, toothpaste & shaving cream (usually travel-size, since I have to replace them anyway after a guest departs).

@Michael1052 The review process is the standard across the board - it doesn't change per listing type. 

I interpret storing luggage to be more custom in big cities (i.e guest checks out (or arrives early) but has a later flight and host offers/provides a place to leave bags so the guest doesn't have to cart them around the whole city.) I have a more rural listing where people have to drive or rent cars so I never get asked for this "service." But I don't see it being a disadvantage when mentions in the review process. 

I'll admit I leave a welcome gift. It's easy for me because I live onsite. It is as simple as a couple of cookies and a couple of local beers. Sometimes a personalized note and a single flower are enough to really win over a guest. I would never expect to check in to an Airbnb and find a whole "basket" waiting for me. 

I will also add that this question comes well after the star ratings and the written review. So I don't think that guests are influenced by the possible choices. 

"The review process is the standard across the board - it doesn't change per listing type. "

Yes, and that's exactly what's wrong with having a specialized item like luggage storage, which not everyone offers, being included in the review system.
If they are going to be using a "one size fits all" review system, then they need to make sure that it truly does fit all.

" I would never expect to check in to an Airbnb and find a whole "basket" waiting for me. will also add that this question comes well after the star ratings and the written review. So I don't think that guests are influenced by the possible choices. "

While it may not influence the *current* review, it certainly will put the bug in the ear of the guest for future reviews and it definitely can influence them, so that's not something that is wholly fair and it certainly doesn't make for a neutral review process when AirBnB influences guests this way.

No other booking platform does this or even sees it as necessary.
They let the mostly fair review process take care of whether a particular listing will get more bookings or not, without having to punish hosts for not providing more than is required or going over the top to satisfy the ever increasing insane demands from guests post-Covid, which is completely unreasonable to expect.
They don't punish hosts for getting less than perfect reviews, and they don't send nasty warning letters or remove the listings from the website.
They simply let the free market do its job, as it should.
If a place has very poor reviews consistently, then it will not get booked as often or at all.
That, alone, is punishment enough for hosts.
No need to try to force hosts to provide more than they should or accept the irrationally crappy behaviour from guests that AirBnB allows and even encourages, for fear of a bad review.
They let the listing stand on its own, from a reasonable and fair review process, without influence from the booking platform it, as it should.

Lisa6207
Level 2
Bellevue, Switzerland

Is the "compliment" section no longer being used by guests? The last ones I have had give glowing reviews but no "compliments" I was wondering if this has been removed. If anyone can help me, thanks. I have tried to look it up but can't find anything.

I don't pay attention to reviews much .

I have multiple listings and just watch my overall rating.

If it starts to slide I clean harder, repair or replace a few things , etc.

It's a hard job and I just wish my guests would respect my property more.

I have so many drug dealers with fake profiles using my units this year and they do the most damage.  They like to take things apart to hide there "stuff" , and come and go all day. The neighbours compain and then they leave a mess and damage. I am a super host but thinking of quitting

Raise your rates, even a dollar or two and screen to eliminate renting to locals.
I've found raising rates, by even a dollar or two usually does the trick to eliminate having the crappy guests book.
AirBnB is a terrible platform.
They try to control too much and their rating system is a joke and completely meaningless, since they allow it to be manipulated by removing reviews both for hosts and for guests.
If they went with a 10 point system, quit punishing hosts for getting less than perfect,  and then left the reviews alone, so they could accurately reflect a property, it really wouldn't matter whether a host got less than perfect or not.
Consistently getting poor reviews is punishment enough for hosts, since it would impact their pocketbook. Less people would book their unit and they would either have to make improvements or fall by the wayside.
The occasional outlier bad review for an otherwise stellar property would reflect as exactly that, an anomaly.
That is how reviews are supposed to work.
Have you considered listing on BDC (Booking Dot Com) as well?
They're a much better platform, and even though you have to accept whomever they send (instant booking only), they don't have the plethora of crappy guests that AirBnB has, and over the last 5 years with 5 units, we've had ONE crappy BDC guest, as apposed to hundreds on AirBnB.
BDC guests also possess common sense. You don't need to tell them not to steal your stuff or not to damage your property, for instance.
They just *know*. 
It's something to consider.