Compliments to the host

Airbnb
Official Account

Compliments to the host

Surfacing Kudos Article Image.jpg

There’s nothing like getting a “job well done!” when you’ve worked hard. And so many of you do go the extra mile to create magical stays for your guests. Our team that works on reviews knows how much positive feedback matters. So during one team brainstorm, they came up with this idea: What if we gave guests a way to quickly and easily specify what was so great about their stay with a host? We could identify the most common themes that guests love about their top-rated trips and list them out for guests to choose from. Fast forward to today and their idea is coming to life. Here are the top seven themes that emerged:

All_compliments@2x.png

Now when a guest gives their trip an overall rating of 4-5 stars, they’re automatically prompted to give a little more detail about what made it memorable. Guests can choose as many of the seven compliments as they like, and (as always) they can elaborate on their experience in their own words in public or private feedback. So the next time you wow your guests, here’s what they’ll see:

Review_flow@2x.png

And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style. The team is adding the final touches to this feature on the web, so soon you’ll see the Compliments section when you’re on your computer as well.

Detailed_review@2x.png

There’s more soon to come. We’re working on ways to make these compliments show up in guest searches so that they can see what makes your hospitality shine. It’s another way to help set guest expectations and reach your hosting goals. Whether you already have a few compliments, or you’re looking forward to that first one, we’re cheering you on.

507 Replies 507
Katie-And-Justin0
Level 2
Paso Robles, CA

We've had guests who gave us lower scores or provide their "honest opinions" due to things we either have mentioned  SPECIFICALLY but they didn't read through our listing - or -  things we do not have control of (for example, the tap water quality from our city). Like, is this a joke? We get the lower rating because our city has hard water or you didn't read that was a "potential for noise" with full explanation? It's unfair that hosts get lower ratings because guests failed to read our listing fully and/or things we have no control of. 

Also, how do we not get dinged from turning down unfit inquiries? For example, our place is listed for 2-3 person maximum yet, it still doesn't stop a family of 5 from sending in request or inquiry. 

We want to make sure all our guests have the best experience and stay possible but it is very difficult to due to the current review and points system which is more favorable towards guests. 

Very frustrating. 

Nancy-G0
Level 2
Kent, WA

I agree with many of these posts. What I would like to see is a way for the star ratings to be amended if the guest makes an error.  I had a guest give all 5 stars but a 4 star overall.  I mentioned this back to him and said I hoped it was an error. He emailed me immediately, apologized and said, yes, he had hit the wrong star!!  I contacted  Airbnb with all the evidence and they couldn't change the rating.  When people are careless it can impact your ratings and business!

Lorena264
Level 2
México D.F., MX

I had my nightmare guest too in the listing I want to promote. It lower me down to 4.3 and jeopardized the bussiness! He complained the first night for noise; the third one he said they were not comfortable and asked for a refund which I agreed. The he reviews the place for filth and things he did never mention and gives 3 stars in cleanliness and 2 in accuracy.  I kept a cool head and did not reviewed him because I was angry and didn't want that kind of feedback to be read by other potential guests. But I answered in the comments that I thought the review was unfair and invited people to read other reviews that note the cleanliness of the space.

Paul-and-Joey0
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

Hi everyone, 

I hope everyone enjoy hosting as much as we do and are successful doing it.

I understand AirBnB wants to show us some appreciation for all the hard work we do as hosts.  I think the guests are more than enough in thanking us. All their thank yous  and great reviews are the reason we are hosts. 

I see these new set of compliments as a way to grade us so we up our game to ensure we get all the compliments. I would feel so bad if I did not get all of the seven compliments from just one of our guests. 

So if AirBnB really wants to compliment us, I urge them to remove these guests'  compliments and comment themselves on the great reviews we get.

Just my two cents.

Have a marvelous day,

Paul

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Airbn

Can we please do away with the ridiculous "location" rating?  My house is where it is; I cannot pick it up and move it!  Please rate us on things we have some control over, not things we don't.

Karen1369
Level 2
The Hague, Netherlands

My experience with being a host on Airbnb has been overwhelmingly positive so far.  I look forward to more ways of getting feedback from guests.  Onwards and upwards!

Gaylle0
Level 2
Parry Sound, Canada

This would be the #1 thing I would join the multitude of other hosts in asking Airbnb to rectify.... take OFF the rating for location from our guests being able to use to rate us with.  Our location is always ably disclosed and is the one thing that we cannot change nor improve upon.  Hosts simply canNOT fix a location so PLEASE please PLEASE Airbnb take this rating option away from our guests.  Please.

Gail195
Level 2
Crossgar, United Kingdom

Maybe this is the solution as we are where we are. If we clearly state our home is in the back of beyond/over a nightclub/beside the railway lines or whatever then it's up to the guest to decide if they want to stay. No good reading the description including the location and then complaining about it afterwards! It's not fair on the hosts.

I have heard this request before, I have no opinion to offer and realize you are correct when you say you can't change your location. In contrast to that I live in the middle of a small city which has a superhighway a half mile or less from my home. I probably have the easiest and quickest to reach ABB in the whole city. Sometime ago I had a guest, [ a sweet quiet and polite Mexican gentleman], who downstarred my review as being a very bad location. I could'nt help but laugh. Its all in a persons perception. Perhaps you can find a way to state something about your listing location to bring to your guests attention before they book. Then when you ask them for a review before they leave, [ I do ], remind them in a gentle way not to downstar your location because you make your guests aware beforehand.

Kathryn151
Level 2
Hamilton, Canada

If I have a guest who is new to airbnb, I let then know that I will want to see photo ID and I suggest that they read my house information so they understand that staying at Airbnb is not like staying in a hotel.  Before they arrive, I ask for conformation that they are comfortable around my dog and cat. During the orientation and tour, we read the house information together. It's 1-1/2 pages, so they know I take this seriously. I use humour: "No spaghetti in bed" and "Since you didn't bring your mom, clean up after yourself".

Here's my summary statement:  "My aim is to accommodate your needs as best I can and to make your stay comfortable. Your aim is to be the best guest ever. Please ask questions when in doubt and let me know if there is something you need. Together we will live with respect and co-operation towards each other."

If I receive an unexpected negative comment, I respond by wishing them safe travels and better luck with their next airbnb stay. I rarely receive negative comments.

Earlston-Lodge0
Level 2
Bright, Australia

Is a 'stylish space' actually a positive?  I know I wont rate well on that one because that's not the environment I strive to make my place.  It would be described more as homely and country style.  It's not a new place, and I'm not going to spend the money to update the furniture, wall colour, carpets or light fittings.  The rate reflects the value.

Some more relevant pictures could be 'Value for money', 'relaxing', 'excellent amenities' rather than 'amazing amenities' because come on, we're not all the shangri-la but we can provide some nice outdoor settings, swimming pool etc, but they might not be described by most people as 'amazing', raising the bar quite high unnecessarily for many to fail.

Judith11
Level 3
Seattle, WA

Airbnb, please please do not create more options and burdensome boxes to check -- and what's worse, trying to mother guests' responses.  I hear their own words, I like their own words.  

Why spend so much money on consultants and research when the result is just more screen time for hosts and guests?  Why de-personalize people's unique comments and perceptions?

Why try making every stay at Airbnb into some sort of monumental experience?  Sometimes it's just shelter  -- that's good.  Other times it creates life-long friends -- that's good. 

Some people notice the little things and appreciate them. 

Some people will not notice or appreciate even the big things. And will find fault somehow.

Airbnb is a great facilitator.  Keep doing that!  You cannot direct or orchestrate everyone.

"Location" is the most problematic category.  We're supposed to provide "quiet, privacy, tranquility" and be "vibrant, bustling, close to everything" simultaeously?  It's up to us hosts to post honestly; it's up to the guests to Read the posts.

@Judith11, I agree with every well chosen word and phrase you have written you said it so well. 

Writing survey and research questions is a very precise exercise in order to extract specific unbiased information and to be able to clearly ascertain the relationship or otherwise between factors.

I am not confident that the website designers truly understand the way that responses can be funnelled and directed by phrasing layout position order, and timing of presentation to guest. All of these things introduce bias and so the data analysis will be flawed. Incorrect assumptions will be made based on the pattern of responses. 

A typical example is the assumption that because someone was looking in my neighbourhood and booked elsewhere at a lower price point, then I might like to reduce my price... people choose on amenities bed numbers whether they can walk to the things they want or a million other things. The assumptions made by these automated analytics are quite regularly flawed. But the analysts are too far away to realise it. They may have value at the bigger picture level, but I am weary of being coached to make site management decisions based on flawed data. 

Plus I too love to just allow people to say it in their own words it's  extremely meaningful to the host. 

The preset phrases don't take into account the variety of cultural and language interpretations that are operating for guests. 

Thanks Judith.

Maybe the changes are really motivated by a desire to quantify responses. That's a whole different situation.

Dear Christine --

Thank you for your remarks.  I read every word!

Judith

Tina501
Level 2
Harpenden, United Kingdom

Hi,

I will lose my superhost staus in next quarter and not a thing I can do.

I had to make a claim, as a guest actually damaged some of my property, he did not agree to pay (i had prrof and photoes) and after making the claim (within minutes literally ) he retaliated with a review full of lies, some of which I can prove is incorrect (temperature too cold, I measured it every day and its above the recommended 21 degrees, but he lives in Spain). Also some people would rather copmplain after, than actually solving an issue. I offered him extra wool blankets etc etc. First night we sat in 72.9F= 22.7  degrees (see photo) to try please this man, but alas.........

The complaints were endless, I was not contactable on phone, I had NO missed calls from him, I was not home, leaving my kids unattended (this is offensive and should not be allowed by Airbnb), He showered me with conplaints day 2 in person late nght, so how can I not be home ???

I did try take it to higher level at Airbnb to get it removed, but Airbnb refused. I think a reveiw should automatically be put on hold, when a claim is involved. I'm very upset about the treatment from Airbnb and this customer.

How is this transparency   ?

22.7 degrees22.7 degrees