Compliments to the host

Airbnb
Official Account

Compliments to the host

Surfacing Kudos Article Image.jpg

There’s nothing like getting a “job well done!” when you’ve worked hard. And so many of you do go the extra mile to create magical stays for your guests. Our team that works on reviews knows how much positive feedback matters. So during one team brainstorm, they came up with this idea: What if we gave guests a way to quickly and easily specify what was so great about their stay with a host? We could identify the most common themes that guests love about their top-rated trips and list them out for guests to choose from. Fast forward to today and their idea is coming to life. Here are the top seven themes that emerged:

All_compliments@2x.png

Now when a guest gives their trip an overall rating of 4-5 stars, they’re automatically prompted to give a little more detail about what made it memorable. Guests can choose as many of the seven compliments as they like, and (as always) they can elaborate on their experience in their own words in public or private feedback. So the next time you wow your guests, here’s what they’ll see:

Review_flow@2x.png

And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style. The team is adding the final touches to this feature on the web, so soon you’ll see the Compliments section when you’re on your computer as well.

Detailed_review@2x.png

There’s more soon to come. We’re working on ways to make these compliments show up in guest searches so that they can see what makes your hospitality shine. It’s another way to help set guest expectations and reach your hosting goals. Whether you already have a few compliments, or you’re looking forward to that first one, we’re cheering you on.

507 Replies 507
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

Thank you very much for this effort to encourage positive feedback from guests. I really appreciate the attempt to encourage guests to reflect on things from a positive viewpoint.

Christine 

i am sick and tired of gusets bagging hosts on airbnb - which damages the business - we always point out that  private feedback is welcome, yet they chose to use social media to make comments. What is wrong with people..? even when we have rectified small issues when they stay, they still cannot refrain from making negative comments on social media and  airbnb,  in which most times its not really called for.. We had a guest that said he had a good time recently and is coming back a third time, but complained about the booking process and the paperwork on social media.  Seems we cannot win.  

I agree, you do everything to make them happy and they still feel the need to be negative. They don't even have the guts to address issues directly to you, like adults should

Yolanda, That's not just airbnb guests. Humans are, generally, according to psychology research, confrontation-averse.

I absolutely agree. If you ask people to give a review of a restaurant or hotel, they always go for the negative first. It's human nature.

People don’t  seem to know how to have dialogue. The Internet has given people a way to feel powerful by belittling and berating people. Too many people aren’t interested in solving problems, they just want that rush they get from ‘besting’ someone. I’ve only had one in a year and a half, so I feel fortunate. But these folks are everywhere in every walk of life. When I run into them, I try my best not to engage. It’s the only way I have to keep my cool!

Agreed. We got a one star rating because our house was too cold. The guy was here for 10 days and never said a word or asked for another blanket and we showed him the linen closet. Also people who complained because they don’t like pets even though pets are clearly noted in our listing. Ridiculous. 

Too cold. In Houston of all places...

Oh so true...i had guests for a week and said they were cold ,but never used the heating on ac or another quilt...the next week other guests they were too hot but were using the quilt..honestly these comments put me down....but i must say i had many good reviews as well whichi i really appreciate

Lyn98
Level 3
Colchester, United Kingdom

My blog starts off with "If you don't like dogs, then don't book here!" How blunt is that? How clear is that? It's almost rude lol, but still they come through the door and say "OMG you have a dog! " Then asked me to keep her locked up. I just say no and would you like your money back. Never had a bad reveiw from any of them.

SherylRose0
Level 4
California, United States

Ugh even when you’re blunt... some guests still do not read the details of listings. My listing says “my property is semi-off grid and not in the touristy areas and yet - they will continue to rate my location low as it’s “far” from the tourist attractions. I describe how far away I am to the supermarket and sight seeings and still they miss those I do. Can’t win. 

Yes to most of what I have read so far!  Could be giving guest too many options for leaving review details other than "using their words" could unintentionally backfire for a host.  We get a lot of overnight guest and mostly they are tired and just want to sleep, shower and take off in the morning.  Asking them to comment on "details" may make them feel they need to be "critical" to be good guest, when they were really just happy as hell to have a clean, warm, reasonably price place to stop for the night before hitting the road again in the morning.  It doesn't seem to matter how much detail a host puts in the profile of their listing.  Guest do not seem to read past the price.  Somehow "no smoking or burning of anything on my property" or "no pets - no exceptions" does not stop the inquiry telling me how much of a gentleman their dog is or how cute the kitten in the cage is and can I please allow them to stay?  No!  The one that always has me scratching my head is the comment that complains about my location - too far from town?  Uhh - think that would be obvious from looking at the map.  If that was a concern, they could have asked before they made the reservation.  We are 1 mile from a small shopping center and 2 miles from "town".  Yes - that seems like they were searching for something that would be a self-justification for "doing their job as a guest" and finding something negative to say.

Annabel42
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Completely agree about the location one - surely that is a negative point to them and not us as they booked it!  I think these extra review points will just make it harder for us all trying to tick even more boxes for the guests.  Not happy with the idea of these pictures

I agree with this.   I think we are just adding another layer of complication.  Some people write glowing reviews, as if they were great novelists, and some say something short like "nice place"

but we wouldn't all be here if we didn't get enough  good reviews.  

Let them write.  Forget the "emoji's"