Compliments to the host

Airbnb
Official Account

Compliments to the host

Surfacing Kudos Article Image.jpg

There’s nothing like getting a “job well done!” when you’ve worked hard. And so many of you do go the extra mile to create magical stays for your guests. Our team that works on reviews knows how much positive feedback matters. So during one team brainstorm, they came up with this idea: What if we gave guests a way to quickly and easily specify what was so great about their stay with a host? We could identify the most common themes that guests love about their top-rated trips and list them out for guests to choose from. Fast forward to today and their idea is coming to life. Here are the top seven themes that emerged:

All_compliments@2x.png

Now when a guest gives their trip an overall rating of 4-5 stars, they’re automatically prompted to give a little more detail about what made it memorable. Guests can choose as many of the seven compliments as they like, and (as always) they can elaborate on their experience in their own words in public or private feedback. So the next time you wow your guests, here’s what they’ll see:

Review_flow@2x.png

And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style. The team is adding the final touches to this feature on the web, so soon you’ll see the Compliments section when you’re on your computer as well.

Detailed_review@2x.png

There’s more soon to come. We’re working on ways to make these compliments show up in guest searches so that they can see what makes your hospitality shine. It’s another way to help set guest expectations and reach your hosting goals. Whether you already have a few compliments, or you’re looking forward to that first one, we’re cheering you on.

507 Replies 507

i am a bit tired of guests bagging hosts on airbnb - which damages the business - we always point out that  private feedback is welcome, yet they chose to use social media to make comments. What is wrong with people..? Even when we have rectified small issues when they stay, they still cannot refrain from making negative comments on social media and on airbnb,  in which most times its not really called for.. We had a guest that said he had a good time recently and is coming back a third time, but complained about the booking process and the paperwork on social media.  Seems we cannot win. Guests should not be allowed to damage the hosts businesses by negative comments . Its just wrong that Airbnb allows this.   THERE is NOTHING wrong with guest making PRIVATE negative feedback that could actually HELP the host run the place a bit better.  Some guests dont follow the check in and check out process some of them, and they then lie to cover their own arse, there should be  system where we can rate the guests following and observance of the house rules.  Some dont bother to follow them.

Olessia0
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Totally agree regarding setting up a new system by Airbnb to rate the guests’ observance of the house rules. Thumbs Up or thumbs down isn’t granular enough! 

We can rate how the guests followed house rules, it’s one of the questions when we review a guest. Out of 5 stars.

Katherine340
Level 2
Combe Martin, United Kingdom

Yes, I agree with Graham. It's too much work for the guests.

Graham,

I don't completley agree with you altogether, I find it simple to leave a review on my main computer than the iphone, mainly because of fat thumbs typing on the ipone.

Some guests just choose to copy and paste give a private review rather than write more. 

They don't have to give private feed back they can skip.

I get frusttated with people saying they will leave a review and don't, yet they have two weeks to do so. Recently had guest despratley wanting to give feed back but couldn't because they were going on a cruise and had no wifi. As a Host we leave feedback for them and put them in good stead for future bookings and they don't recipurcate. If only one leaves feedback, then after 2 weeks the party that doesn't should not have the advantage of a good score, which helps them get future approvals for stays. And then the spiteful ones that don't want to do a meet and greet and leave you a bad star rating because you sat up and waited till 1am instead of 10pm to just touch base and show them where the bathroom is ect, this is because they are coming into our family home. Different if it was a separate self contained unit. Like you about 75% give reviews for you. All the Best Michelle

I agree with  Graham. I’m relatively new as a host, only 1 year, until now  I got 100% reviews. But I’m reminding my guest every other 2 days, this might also annoy our guest,  people always leave for the last minute.  As now if it is a hassle process to do it, the guest will give up or even downgrade our place. Airbnb, Its important to us to get the reviews to see where we can improve - if we need to - and what guests did not like.

Dont make guest review a hassle 

Yes and there only willing to go through the process when there bitching about something. The good reviews dont get completed due to the lengthy process and you can never recover from these ppl

Graham, thanks for that! I agree it needs to be a simple and quick process for reviews.   How exactly did you reach your stats here?  I would like to do the same.  thanks! 

Hi Casa De Wow,

You ask how I reach my ststa.   I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep a log of bookings, recording names, dates, number of guests, etc, and also whether they left a review.

Regards,

Graham.

Complicated, too long and because of all of this people also feel the need to dive deep and critique.  That means looking for things that were nothing and creating something out of them.   I think that if someone makes a negative about heat / cold, bedding and anything that a host could mediate - Airbnb should ask them - did you ask your host to correct this situation??? 

Guy stayed for 3 days - every morning I asked how he slept.  He said great and then in his review complaing about the room being too bright, too hot blah blah and in public, questions if I even had A/C.  Well ya buddy I did.  Had you said it was too hot I could have cranked the A/C and given you a fan.  Hey we could have covered your window.   NO ONE else has ever had the same complaint.  

I am also not happy about too many questions in a review, lets face it, its boring. I also think that too much detail about the host creates expectation, what pleases on e person may irritate another. for example "Betsy  went beyond our expectations as a host" could mean she was a pain in the butt!  The simple three lots of five stars is plenty. Please dont make change for changes sake!

I agree 100%. I used Airbnb as a guest the other day and I was shocked at how long and tedious it was for guests.

I have noticed that, too. 

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Thank you for evaluating this expansion.  I offer my guests several opportunities for suggestions in addition to the public and private feedback guest and host are already afforded.  

I appreciate the effort to “tease out” more positive details of what makes each stay special and offer the following based on my experience:

1- please make it very clear to the guest what each category includes

2- state that this new level of feedback must be based on actual guest experience

3- the attributes being evaluated are within the hosts’ control.

For example the “location” category could get tricky because of the following :

1- google maps and other gps services that often give inaccurate directions

2- bookings in a busy city are not going to be perfectly quiet

3- bookings in rural locations with few stores, restaurants and neighbors nearby etc...this may be new to those unaccustomed, but are not a reason to penalize a host 

4- the weather is not included in the evaluation or within host control

It would be helpful to offer some boundarie / qualifiers like:

1- was location type as described?  If not why?(ex: listing stated “entire place,” quiet with “panoramic views” but I arrived to find a single room in the basement of a shared house with noise and foot traffic overhead, view is a fence blocking a busy noisy street, and the only sweeping view possible is from the second storey master bedroom that isn’t offered.

2- Did it have the number of rooms and type of rooms as described (full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, #bedrooms...)

3- Did it have amenities described? (ex: free parking/fireplace/hot tub/#beds, breakfast/full kitchen...)

and so on...

Thank you for requesting feedback.

Some very good points raised, there, Susan.... I get a lot of very kind reviews but occasionally people give less stars for location, as we are a small country town, albeit only about 20 mins (or even less) from many of the loveliest attractions in this region.... they book, knowing it is a quiet semi-rural property and yet at the same time seem to decide it could be better if it was closer to a busier town... just something you can't have both ways! The style of questions you are suggesting make a lot of sense to me! Thanks!