Compliments to the host

Airbnb
Official Account

Compliments to the host

Surfacing Kudos Article Image.jpg

There’s nothing like getting a “job well done!” when you’ve worked hard. And so many of you do go the extra mile to create magical stays for your guests. Our team that works on reviews knows how much positive feedback matters. So during one team brainstorm, they came up with this idea: What if we gave guests a way to quickly and easily specify what was so great about their stay with a host? We could identify the most common themes that guests love about their top-rated trips and list them out for guests to choose from. Fast forward to today and their idea is coming to life. Here are the top seven themes that emerged:

All_compliments@2x.png

Now when a guest gives their trip an overall rating of 4-5 stars, they’re automatically prompted to give a little more detail about what made it memorable. Guests can choose as many of the seven compliments as they like, and (as always) they can elaborate on their experience in their own words in public or private feedback. So the next time you wow your guests, here’s what they’ll see:

Review_flow@2x.png

And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style. The team is adding the final touches to this feature on the web, so soon you’ll see the Compliments section when you’re on your computer as well.

Detailed_review@2x.png

There’s more soon to come. We’re working on ways to make these compliments show up in guest searches so that they can see what makes your hospitality shine. It’s another way to help set guest expectations and reach your hosting goals. Whether you already have a few compliments, or you’re looking forward to that first one, we’re cheering you on.

507 Replies 507

Very valid point and I have a lot of Aisian guests who speak little or no English I have to beat information out of them and it’s very frustrating 

What about a translation button, like we get on FB?

Ollie6
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Finally!

At least it will make easier for lazy guests to bothered to write something complimentary after receiving  free parking( not free for me as I pay), free mini bar, free entertainment, free food and coffee machine.

Reviews like “ it was ok” just don’t cut it!

Bianca-Emily-Tony0
Level 3
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom

Do guests really understand what you mean by "outstanding hospitality". 

I don't think it is clear what this really entails.

I don’t think they do..... I had one guest stating ‘ the problem I had’ was because of my 5 * rating people were expecting 5* hotel accommodation....... completely oblivious of the fact that they were staying in someone’s home!!!!! 

Sam163
Level 7
Herstmonceux, United Kingdom

I agree - the stars make people think they are ranking you against the best hotel they have ever been in, rather than what you are advertising eg. shepherd's hut. I have to explain verbally to every guest that they are ranking against the published property profile: I usually do it by introducing/mentioning my family and saying if there's anything I can do to improve their visit they should say ASAP because I want to get 5 out of 5 for being a good treehouse host (as opposed to hotel).  Then I tell them if I only get 4 out of 5 I go down the listing. Then I follow it up by being very attentive but not intrusive. Seems to work most of the time but there have been a couple of people who have judged me on things I haven't advertised and there's no reasoning with them or redress.

I write in my profile, 'Commiunication is not a one way street'; but wheter or not anybody actually reads that is an other matter !

@Sam163 wrote:

I agree - the stars make people think they are ranking you against the best hotel they have ever been in, rather than what you are advertising eg. shepherd's hut. I have to explain verbally to every guest that they are ranking against the published property profile: I usually do it by introducing/mentioning my family and saying if there's anything I can do to improve their visit they should say ASAP because I want to get 5 out of 5 for being a good treehouse host (as opposed to hotel).  Then I tell them if I only get 4 out of 5 I go down the listing. Then I follow it up by being very attentive but not intrusive. Seems to work most of the time but there have been a couple of people who have judged me on things I haven't advertised and there's no reasoning with them or redress.

I am so over people expecting a 5 star hotel for $35 a night .

There's no way I can do that. It's my home . Airbnb has strayed so far from their genesis. 

right?!!!!  We charge $20/night per person... free delicious breakfast, free wifi etc.  and believe it or not some people think this is too expensive!!!   I think Airbnb needs to remind the guests what Airbnb is!!!!!

Even quite pleasant guests – and seemingly quite intelligent people – seem to have an idea that (as they have stayed in hotels and know the routines there) Airbnbs should in some way compare with hotels. 

Surely this is the task of Airbnb, to ‘sell the concept’ to would-be guests. And that concept is not just that home-hosts can give you things that hotels don’t (local advice etc) but also to ensure that home-hosts are NOT expected to provide things that hotels DO provide. (eg  daily room service in the form of picking up wet towels that have been left on the bathroom floor and so on.)

Also, and this is minor but perhaps pertinent, I lost my superhost status because I don't have guests often enough. This is because members of my family have moved to another state in Australia and I visit them a lot. My ratings are the ratings of superhosts, so when I have guests, they get a superhost-level experience. But Airbnb took that status away from me because, I suppose, I don't provide them with enough business...

with unreasonable complaints I have reminded people that we are not a 5 star hotel. I finally got tired of doing that and in my welcome letter I reminded them that we are a small family-run B and B NOT a 5 star HOTEL!!! 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Airbnb has many great ideas, but I am not sure this is one of them. Now that we have seen it in action for a while, I would definitely prefer if it wasn't placed so high up on the listing, before the blurb. It is rather meaningless, which the blurb isn't.

What happened to the expression, keep it simple stupid .. I tried Booking.com for a week and the whole process is so complicated and time consuming with 1 listing Key alone the other 5 I have. Make sure you guys look outside the box, don’t lose sight of the real product you set out to achieve at the start..mooned going to want to do a review if it’s not a 2 minute commitment .. goes for the host reviewing the Guest as well. 

Dear AirBnB, I think perhaps your team is loosing touch with the reality of hosting and the reality of being a guest. I agree with the preceding comments that you are making the review process for guests far too laborious. We are Superhosts, and have been so for 20 consecutive quarters, and what we have noticed in the past 6 months is that the review process for guests is now so convoluted and long that some of our guests give up before finishing a review - time is a precious commodity in a busy world, so why are you demanding so much time of our guests to complete their review? Whilst AirBnB may think it is helping hosts by asking guests for as much feedback as possible the unintended consequence of your lengthy guest review process is that guests give up on the process, and it therefore places a host's Superhost status in jeopardy because, through no fault of their own and for reasons entirely outside their control, they are unable to maintain the required number of 5 star reviews when guests don't have the time or the patience to work their way through the long review process. AirBnB - please reconsider the ridiculously lengthy guest review process. You need to replace it with a process that asks probably no more than 5 short questions and provides for comments from the guest. The questions you ask of guests for their feedback MUST CLEARLY be placed into context that the guest has to consider; such as, feedback on Location must very clearly be placed in the context of "was it as described by the host in the listing" - make sure it is made clear to the guest that their feedback must be based on them having read the full description of the listing and therefore their feedback is in relation to how the accommodation actually compared to the listing description. We are a rural property and quite clearly say so in our listing and describe the local amenities, yet some of our guests have later told us that when they completed their review they thought the 'Location' question in the review process meant they had to say if it was close to shops or beach etc but not that it was in relation to the listing description they read when they booked. Consequently some guests marked us as less than 5 stars for location because we are not near a beach and the nearest supermarket is 4km away and because there is no public transport, even though our listing clearly describes the local area and states there is no public transport! Where is the fairness in a process that is misleading and that unintentionally prompts a guest to make critical assessment of something despite that it is already made clear to them in the listing description at the time they make their booking. Pretty symbols to reflect compliments to the host are all well and good, but please AirBnB, you need to completely overhaul your guest review process to make it practical, less time consuming, and relevant and related to the host's listing description. Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

I have been given 4 star for ACCURACY.  I still have no idea why my listing is not accurate?????

Also Location.  the guest chooses the location and I am , in LONDON,UK,LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION in an upmarket area.  Yet I still am dowmarked.  This should not be a question as accommodation is where it is and if the guest doesn't like the location then let them choose elsewhere.  

I have a cat and guess what ,I was downgraded because there some pet hairs in my areas,  The cat does not go into the bedrooms I rent out.  

I am really being put off by all these ratings and comparisons. Compared to what?? An hotel? let the guests book a hotel and they will pay triple for less amenities.  they look for cheap and cheaper and it doesn't matter what you offer they want more.  The spirit and concept of Airbnb is being removed from reality.