Compliments to the host

Airbnb
Official Account

Compliments to the host

Surfacing Kudos Article Image.jpg

There’s nothing like getting a “job well done!” when you’ve worked hard. And so many of you do go the extra mile to create magical stays for your guests. Our team that works on reviews knows how much positive feedback matters. So during one team brainstorm, they came up with this idea: What if we gave guests a way to quickly and easily specify what was so great about their stay with a host? We could identify the most common themes that guests love about their top-rated trips and list them out for guests to choose from. Fast forward to today and their idea is coming to life. Here are the top seven themes that emerged:

All_compliments@2x.png

Now when a guest gives their trip an overall rating of 4-5 stars, they’re automatically prompted to give a little more detail about what made it memorable. Guests can choose as many of the seven compliments as they like, and (as always) they can elaborate on their experience in their own words in public or private feedback. So the next time you wow your guests, here’s what they’ll see:

Review_flow@2x.png

And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style. The team is adding the final touches to this feature on the web, so soon you’ll see the Compliments section when you’re on your computer as well.

Detailed_review@2x.png

There’s more soon to come. We’re working on ways to make these compliments show up in guest searches so that they can see what makes your hospitality shine. It’s another way to help set guest expectations and reach your hosting goals. Whether you already have a few compliments, or you’re looking forward to that first one, we’re cheering you on.

507 Replies 507

Lyn, I'm not sure which "blog" you're referring to, but I imagine most of your Airbnb guests come directly from searches for available rooms in your area, and if so they're seeing the same opening quote I am -- which has no mention of dogs:

"Double room with heating, internet, bed and breakfast. Easy access to main line train station, buses and 40 mins from Stansted Airport. Local shops nearby and also a Chinese Takeaway and a Fish and Chip shop. Colchester has a wonderful history and an amazing Zoo. Whether you want an overnight stay for a business trip or longer to explore the local area and London this is the ideal place for you. Breakfast of cereal, toast, juice and Tea or Coffee is supplied."

I would not offer their money back since it is clear on your site. I had a similar situation regarding my cat.

What do these levels mean? Does anyone know?

Thanks for that comment. I’ve had two come to stay and expressly ask me to lock up my dogs. I, too, post it clearly and most of my guests come looking forward to the fur babies. So obviously, some read and some don’t. Some of my guests have even given my animals a favorable mention in their review! That being said, I believe that I’ve gotten a few women travelers who really wanted to stay with me because there are no

men in the house and there are. I other guests. They made conscious decisions to come here because thatvwas kore important to them than animals they didn’t like. I don’t lock up my animals, but I also keep them out of those guests way. 

Ditto on the pet complements in reviews!  They're sweet and welcoming as long as others don't bring thiers, but I also only allow contact, outdoors, if it is requested by guests and I'm there to supervise and they are kept to our private space otherwise.

same here! I feel like I word vomit when ppl arrive trying to show them everything & think of every. single. detail. that could possibly arise. Then they complain online that it wasn’t a good value or location. Or that the three dogs that we listed as part of our household actually do have hair that falls from their bodies! There is no making ppl happy. Thank goodness for those few that really make it an enjoyable experience!!!

Stacy, out of curiosity I took a look at your listing. There's no mention of your dogs until the very end -- and most guests don't read that far. Few read beyond the opening paragraph, actually, which is why Airbnb is phasing out excessively detailed listings, starting with Airbnb Plus. I'd suggest adding a mention of them near the top.

Also, as for this part: "We do our very best to make sure there is no dog hair in your room." Why would there ever be dog hair in your guests' room?? Do you seriously allow all three (!!) of your dogs to roam around in there when you don't have guests?? To say the very least, this room should be kept off-limits to then at all times. Period. And you need to be reasonable about the fact that while you may think your dogs are the cutest fur-beings on the planet, many (if not most) other folks -- and especially those staying with you -- will feel the same way.

Agree with this.  We have a cat and he has NEVER stepped foot in any of our guest rooms.  I would never be able to keep every nook and cranny clear of pet hair if I gave him free access.

You'd be surprised! I stayed in an Airbnb once where it was evident that our room and the entire lower floor we were renting was the dog's domain (furniture and all). We are dog folks but we will never go back. And the host went running without her dog and he howled the whole time she was gone! As a host myself I did not slam her with a bad review just used the private notes to let her know how she might improve. Did not give 5 stars though. This was in an amazing location or we would not have remained. 

Michael, you obviously never had pets. In fairness to Stacy, she may never allow her dogs in guest area but just like dust it floats in the air. I have a large home with 3 dogs and even though there are many rooms my dogs don’t enter,  somehow I find dog hair in these rooms. My airbnb is in our apartment so luckily I don’t have to worry about this. Cindy

YES! Why would anyone book a space that does not suit their needs? I have dogs and the bath is shared--shared bath is stated in headline and impossible to miss. Had a guest recently who said he was *afraid* of dogs. Another who said she didn't shower in the morning because she was uncomfortable with the shared bath. Another complained that the kitchen was being used to ... drumroll please ... cook in. Good grief. Most guests are so wonderful that I hope they come back. It is that one or two that make us hosts mistrustful and hesitant. 

I don’t know why people would complain about such minor problems that can easily be fixed. But it’s become exhausting enough for me to stop hosting. The last year or so I had two guests who actually Made up non existent problems to try and wrangle a refund... unbelievable 

So sorry you expereinced that.  I had an Amazon book store and had similar experiences with a system that did not allow any communication before purchase and took the buyers side no matter what.  We were only able to converse after purchase, usually only happened if here was a complaint, and we could not appeal buyer ratings no matter how unfounded they were, so "refund whiners" ran us ragged and drained profits (you gotts sell a lot of books to make money).  After a while it wasn't worth it.

What I love about this platform is, we have way more freedom, the option to screen quests and read previous reviews to get a sense of thier personalities and motivations, and we have the ability for replies and appeals if something is really incongruent or due to guest gaffe.

There's a good thread in our community about "bad guests," complete with angst and lots of humor and wisdom you might enjoy.  I was able to tak things far less personally and use expereinces as opportunities to create boundaries that work well without losing my self while increasing bookings.

Keep the faith...

My favourite is the perennial, a bit far from places.  Last time I looked my houses had not moved nor had the map changed. Don't bag the location if you were a bit dim about where you needed to be.

While I am here, the other favourite is " a bit hot". Dear lordy me, you are staying in Bali during the hot wet season.  Insert favourite naughty word here.