Compliments to the host

Airbnb
Official Account

Compliments to the host

Surfacing Kudos Article Image.jpg

There’s nothing like getting a “job well done!” when you’ve worked hard. And so many of you do go the extra mile to create magical stays for your guests. Our team that works on reviews knows how much positive feedback matters. So during one team brainstorm, they came up with this idea: What if we gave guests a way to quickly and easily specify what was so great about their stay with a host? We could identify the most common themes that guests love about their top-rated trips and list them out for guests to choose from. Fast forward to today and their idea is coming to life. Here are the top seven themes that emerged:

All_compliments@2x.png

Now when a guest gives their trip an overall rating of 4-5 stars, they’re automatically prompted to give a little more detail about what made it memorable. Guests can choose as many of the seven compliments as they like, and (as always) they can elaborate on their experience in their own words in public or private feedback. So the next time you wow your guests, here’s what they’ll see:

Review_flow@2x.png

And we’ve added a special “Compliments” section to your review summary when you’re viewing it from the Airbnb app on your mobile phone—so you’re sure to see what they appreciated about your space and your hosting style. The team is adding the final touches to this feature on the web, so soon you’ll see the Compliments section when you’re on your computer as well.

Detailed_review@2x.png

There’s more soon to come. We’re working on ways to make these compliments show up in guest searches so that they can see what makes your hospitality shine. It’s another way to help set guest expectations and reach your hosting goals. Whether you already have a few compliments, or you’re looking forward to that first one, we’re cheering you on.

507 Replies 507
Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

I have concerns about the "location" and "stylish" categories, and to be honest, I see all of these as less important than other far more impactful issues, especially when the 3 following platform-wide concerns effect every aspect of the ABB experience for all involved and create more misunderstanding, frustration, and lost business all around:

1- bugs and inconsistencies in the search functions/algorhythms

2- clarity around figuring out how much it actually costs to stay the night

3- misunderstanding, education, and safety for all surrounding listing content, communication, ABB policy, and ABB feedback safety (due to fear of retaliation).

Policy refinement and education surrounding these 3 matters will offer clarty for all and eliminates the need for expansion of feedback categories.

In addition, here's why these "feedback refinements" don't resonate for me; redundancy and subjectivity:

A. We already have an excellent system that's revolutionized the lodging industry offering multiple ways to communicate and respond before, during, and after a stay:

1- ABB messaging

2- phone/text during stays

3- face-to-face communication

4- public narrative

5- public "5-star" system that already exceeds the industry's basics

6- private feedback

7- anything else a host chooses to implement.  For instance, I additionally offer a "departure feedback" form (if guests choose to complete it) that's been very helpful if we've not already addressed any questions during the stay by the methods already noted.

B. Adding a location category:

I agree with the other host feedback- it's redundant and the ABB platform already offers far more info than most hotels etc. in the listing and messaging options if guests choose to read/use it-

1- the map shows where a listing is before and after booking

2- "neighborhood description" section of the listing is very usefulif used/read

3- guests/hosts have "messaging" to inquire further

4- we all have the world at our fingertips at all times if we want to research further.  For instance, when I plan my travel, I Google the area and check out satellite views, news, proximity to my interests, good food, weather, transportation/airports...

C. "Stylish" is too subjective to be fair or useful:

1- some like "modern minimalist" and others like "cozy and rustic" etc...

2- we already post photos of the actual space (not generics like a hotel), so they know what they're getting

3- guests can choose a place that is more appealiing to thier taste

D.  If something is actually misrepresented, that's a different scenario, and we already have the above feedback mechanisms and "support" and "customer service" for addressing that.

In summary, I believe more education, safety, and transparency concerning all of the above will benefit everyone far more than creating additional categories.

Susan, I think your response is well thought out and written.  I have hosted more than 300 people in the last 3 years and I believe keeping the review method for both hosts and guests should be less cumbersome rather than so redundant.  I can read and I hope so can most of my guests.... the pictures are ridiculous. Even though I get consistant 5 star reviews in all categories, I have noticed fewer guests are even willing to review.  They send me personal thank yous rather than navigate the review process.

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm noticing the same more and more often with my guests as well, Cindy.

Great analysis. I also found those two categories to be the most fraught with trouble. I'm interested in your departure feedback forms. Any way that you could share the content?

Thanks so much Susan.

Super simple and keep it positive...I thank them for staying, ask them what they loved, and for suggestions : )

The feedback has been quite good, and the suggestions have been well intended, helpful, and private.

Andrea1063
Level 10
Collingwood, Canada

The many options for reviews is a recipe for abouse IMHO and when given the power of being a 'critic' people look for things to crab about, even when it really didn't affect their visit at all.

Location in particular is a sticky one and really shouldn't even be available unless you said you were on the beach and weren't, or a few minutes from the subway and were not. 

Woman came for one night for a 'farm wedding' up the mountain in the middle of nowhwere.  The organizers had booked school buses 2 street lights from my house and this insane woman gave me 3 for location!!  Another one said  I was too far from downtown (5 bloody minutes), but added that it didn't even really affect her (again, that critic comes out.)  

I am in a small town, everything is 5 minutes by car or 10 by bike - the mountain 10. All laid out plain as day.  IF you want to be closer, book something closer and take a little responsiblity - simple.

Same bed - one person says its too hard, the other one says its so soft he thinks I need a new mattress. 

The never-ending race to the bottom with pricing is my biggest concern.  Hotels are $300+ in my four season resort town.  People fall for the pricing suggestions and its like we're the YMCA or a youth hostel.  This is a very hot area - mountain, water and old-world charm.  My latest suggestion was to change the price to $45 ... because some fool or newbie trying to get bookings is willing to give their space away for nothing not understanding the hard work, time, effort and hassles associated. 

I've had over 200 ppl here and haven't gotten a booking in 6 weeks because of these people and the illegal rentals that the town can't do anything about unless a neighbour reports them.  You have to live in the house, you can not treat a second home and/or investment property as a hotel. 

Between non-communicative guests and the pricing nonsense, after all these years I feel defeated and scared as I need the money. 

@Andrea1063 don't be discouraged 'cause we realise, you are working hard and they'll see your true colors, that's why they stay there. So don't be afraid, to price things fair, your true value comes shining through......

Regards C. 

When you keep your prices higher and fairer, you are helping everyone to see your worth and theirs too.

Regards Christine. 

Hi Andrea,

I sent You a Cindy Lauper inspired encouragement in an earlier reply. I hope it helps to cheer you up.

regards, Christine.

Thank you .. that was very sweet and most appreciated

@Andrea0  Hi,

I hear your concern and frustration.  I live in a sought-after area that tends to get quieter in winter.  I'm also care for my disabled friend and we depend on the income.  I worked in customer service and "helping professions" for years and have created and run my own businesses, so I feel very much at home in this capactity.

I Love dioing this!  I've spent hours studying what others are doing right, decorating tips, ways to keep things  simple and good and fresh, and poring over the stats and local property pricing and transparency (added costs that show up when you go to book) on ABB and elsewhere.  ABB is still the most flexible, resonable, easy to use, and hand's on.

I approve each guest before they book, even though ABB prefers instant book.  I'd rather point a bad fit elsewhere on a positive note than cancel and leave them feeling slighted...because they may know someone who's a great fit for my place and mention it or return another time when they'll better appreciate what I offer.

The ABB pricing formula is not valid here, so I do everything manually based on my own research and focus on the places that are consistently busy--what they're doing "right" and what makes my place special.  It's been fun, enlightening, and it's working : )

I could care less about those $49 places run by the vacation management slum lords because they are what they are and thier reviews show it.  My demographic is different with some crossovers.  I'm booking at least double that rate, offering more, doing half as many "flips" for the same money, and have better availability for those "last minute" bookings, where I end up being one of the least expensive ones despite my being double the low ballers.

I take great photos and choose my words carefully to share what makes this place special...but not misleading or photoshopped into oblivion like the management companies who call every one of thier listings something catchy and focus only on what they want you to see and hire architectural photographers with $3k lenses and professional lighting  setups. 

I've found I enjoy serving a particular type of guest, and I create my listing to speak to them without disparaging anyone else.  I make sure I describe the beauty, ambience, what they can expect from me,  and what it's like being a guest here.  I offer a lot of personal touches and extra amentities I've chosen carefully for appeal and booking value for my chosen guests.  I make sure to repeat the best attributes in different areas of my listing so people are sure to see them, knowing people don't ususally read it all lol...

Most of all, even when I feel pressured for bookings, I take care of myself so I can stay positive, so when someone does inquire, or needs something during thier stay, even when I'm having a terribly stressed day, I take a deep breath, put myself in thier shoes, and respond as I would like to be responded to, with 'thank you for choosing (my place)'  "look forward to welcoming you" and questions I always ask to learn more about how I can very simply understand and meet thier needs well within my ability.

I love being creative and caring for people and I consider this to be one of the most rewarding expereinces yet...those positive reviews are like receiving an excellent performance evaluation on the job every day, and I honestly Love this space as well and enjoy sharing it and creating the ambience I do.

You're a veteran, to be comended for your longevity.  How could you make this fun for you again?  How could you reframe your perspective.  What are you seeking, and what is your favorite guest like?

Keep the faith and stay positive.  There are really nice people seeking really nice people to stay with.  Find ways to freshen things up and be creative.  You've already got this, or you wouldn't still be here! 

When was the last time you gave yourself a break or treated yourself to an Air BnB stay?

😉

Susan

Cindy149
Level 5
Arlee, MT

I am worried that the guest's review of an airbnb facility is getting too complicated.  Most of my guests are on a "get away" or vacation and traveling the next day.  For those that are not seasoned airbnb guests this review process (sigh, what now?) looks time consuming

and unnecessary. Keep it simple! 

Im with you, and thats the feedback Im getting from about 30% of my guests.  They let me know who they enjoyed thier stay, and there are enough oher reviews that it's all good.

Really need to keep things simple for guests.  It's what made this paltform great.

Linda1272
Level 2
Detroit, MI

I just sent this feedback to Airbnb:

Dear Airbnb,
I'm a superhost,  and all the rest and I don't like the compliments to the host. The reviews they were giving me were stellar before. Now I'm getting a few people really thinking hard about stuff that I never advertised, like location. I'm only five minutes from town, which I advertise, but they now think hard about, "Is it really as good of a location as it could be?" Even though it's in a beautiful wooded area with a hiking trail at the end of the street, and a few minutes to a thriving artsy town. Maybe they're thinking, "But it's not right in town, within walking distance." But I never advertised anything of the sort.

The second thing that concerns me is that I'm starting to see low ratings for my listing in "Stylish space." (I don't see that on your example now, so hopefully you're removing it.) First of all, the guests saw the photos! Is it then pertinent to ask them if the place is stylish? Maybe they didn't look for that, nor want that. Maybe they liked the personality of the home and when asked to honestly rate it as "stylish," they thought hard and decided that wouldn't be how they would describe it.  I'm a mountain home in a funky artsy town and I chose the decor and furniture for a pleasing, comfortable, homey, vibe that also has touches of funky, artsy pieces. Nothing is run down or in poor condition, but I did purchase some mid-century modern for the cool designs and features and because they were made by furniture companies famous in North Carolina back in the day. If I had wanted to decorate my place like the corporate vacation rental properties that all look the same and offer very little in the way of personality, I would have. In other words, you're punishing us for embodying exactly what Airbnb used to stand for: sharing your home and personality with guests as if they were friends.

I don't really have issues with other features since it is right to keep the place sparkling clean, offer local tips, be accurate and so on. But overall, the review process was tricky enough and we hosts worked hard to keep those ratings up. Now you've given us another unnecessary and potentially detrimental hurtle to jump.

Get rid of it.

Bravo!

We, Richard and Arnette @  The Dome. Feel the same way... Our listing states approximately one mile of unpaved road leads to the Dome, and that we are about 15-20 mls from city of Naples... We offer seclusion,  quiet, peaceful, starry nite skies... 

99% of  previous guests have been very happy here...