Decluttering your space: What hosts need to know

Airbnb
Official Account

Decluttering your space: What hosts need to know

Declutter.jpg

Do your guests really need three bottle openers? What about all those trinkets on the bathroom vanity? Chances are some of the things you’ve been holding on to are just taking up valuable space. And although clearing clutter may be time-consuming, overwhelming, or even emotional, it can go a long way toward making your space more comfortable for guests and more manageable for you.

Whether you welcome guests in a private room or an entire home, get inspired by these host tips for tidying up.

Make your space cleaner than ever

Even if you don’t take a minimalist approach in your personal life, it’s helpful to embrace one when you host. “I find that the less clutter there is, the more clean and tidy the space looks,” says host Kath from Albany, Australia. And guests care a lot about cleanliness—according to Airbnb data, it’s one of the top reasons for a negative review. Less clutter can also make things easier to clean between stays since there’s less to dust or put away.

Free up room for your guests’ things 

Most guests need a place to put some of their clothes, toiletries, and other personal items. So if your own wardrobe has spilled over into the guest’s bedroom, it might be time to let a few things go. “If I haven't used it or worn it in a year or two, it gets chucked,” says host Sarah from Sayulita, Mexico. You may want to free up even more space, especially if you welcome guests for long-term stays like host Jessica from Seoul, South Korea. “I’m sure they’ll have books, souvenirs, family pics, and their own ‘clutter’ of stuff they want to keep on the bedside table or desk or on a shelf,” she says.

Streamline your kitchen and bathroom

Kitchens and bathrooms need to be super functional, and yet they’re often the first areas to accumulate unnecessary items. “I personally don't like it when it looks like everything in the kitchen in the listing is from a jumble sale or stuff that was discarded from elsewhere,” says host Alexandra from Lincoln, California. Think about what guests will really need in those spaces, and remove the rest. Most will appreciate a bottle opener in the kitchen, but they likely won’t need a banana slicer. Conditioner is a nice amenity in the bathroom, but guests probably don’t expect to have four different brands to choose from.

Check regularly for leftover items

Sometimes, guests leave behind perfectly usable supplies (think plastic bags, canned food, or condiments). You might be tempted to hold on to these, especially if they’re unopened. Keep in mind that guest leftovers can add up and that future guests may not feel comfortable using them. Host Michelle from Chicago only keeps “sealed-as-originally-purchased” food and drink items, like “bottled water, soda, single-use condiments, etc.” Consolidating certain things can also help control the clutter: For example, move extra plastic bags into one dispenser, or combine salt from different containers.

Keep amenities organized and easy to reach

You don’t want guests to miss out on all the wonderful amenities you provide simply because they can’t find them. Host Kelly from Austin, Texas, says to “let the space dictate what is there” and not the other way around: “So, if the shelf can artfully hold five towels, then you should not own six towels.” Go through linens and other supplies regularly, and donate or discard anything that isn’t in great shape. Once you’ve streamlined your amenities, think about the best way to display them. Host Chantal from Yvignac-la-Tour, France, has a guest-dedicated cabinet: “It's got everything from small water bottles to toilet paper … all arranged by shelf and category in separate baskets.”

Find the balance between cozy and clutter-free

“Everything in the room should have a purpose with no clutter or unnecessary frills,” says host Kelly from Austin, Texas. “Having said that, it doesn't mean the room shouldn't be stylish or have a lovely, warm, cozy feel.” Of course, there’s no one-size-fits all approach to this—the right balance can depend on your space, property type, and host style. But here are some guidelines to consider:

• Don’t get too personal. Try to keep guest areas free of your family photos, kids’ artwork, or other very personal items.
  • Personality, on the other hand, is welcome. Framed local artwork, a quirky piece of furniture, or a one-of-a-kind mirror can make your space stand out.
  • Add decorative objects—just not too many. Whether it’s plants, throw pillows, or small sculptures, three-dimensional items can help give your space a homey feel. The trick is to use them sparingly and to arrange them in an intentional way.
  • Get inspired by Airbnb Plus hosts, whose spaces are known for cohesive design full of personality. Browse their listings or watch the how-to videos they helped create.

With these tips in mind, you’ll be on your way to a tidier, more welcoming space guests will love. Happy decluttering!

129 Replies 129

We also use a labeled picture in guest book. It works great. Guests can see where everything is with one look. They can also see which cabinets are empty for them to use. 

Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

Guests dont look or use cabinets/drawers in case they leave things behind,

My toilet paper is inside enclosed purpose built container with lid and tucked beside toilet so there is no doubt where rolls are and towels are nicely rolled up on small multi stack shelves beside vanity with empty shelf above for toiletries.  

Try a "personalised" welcome letter in a prominent position that lists the obvious stuff and refers to the big "user manual" you spent hours crafting because you thought intelligent people would use - they don't. The letter is exactly the same for everyone except their names on the header of course. So a cinch to do on the laptop. Customers actually read it because it is addressed to them. Don't get too uptight by the comments of experts in this and other bloggy ABB things. Some of our colleague providers (Californian Big Hug) are clearly doing it for a hobby and "turning a buck" doesn't appear to figure in their calculus. Just feel satisfied that you are offering a bed/ambiance that has been honestly described and is priced fairly to be appreciated by customers like your target clientele. Relax. BTW. ABB is useful to us but their clientele tend to be under 30, tend not to read the listing details properly and tend to respect the property less than our other channels to market. Its a commercial relationship in the end of the day that has to work for both parties.

I agree with your assessment of the 30 and under crowd.  I teach a class in which students do research papers.  And, they cut and paste from their sources and do not give credit (ie, they don't respect intellectual property either).  They feel entitled to certain things and do not read instructions.

My ABB is priced a bit over the suggested prices (as per ABB).  That helps the under-30 crowd find a cheaper place.  But I mostly do it because, at a certain rate, it is not worth my time.  There is a break-even involved in this.  I agree with your post.

I bought a pack of cute little "chalk board" decals and use chalk markers to label each cabinet and even certain light switches, etc. Guests love them and I get complimented in reviews on a regular basis.

Where’s you get those.  

I have labels on all the cabinets & little notes around the house. I printed them on special paper with a specific style font to match the feel of the decor & taped them on with wall safe scotch tape. Other notes I have in picture frames. I consistently get thank you’s & “loves” from people because they adore not having to search for things, & provides a more personal touch that helps with some of the quirks of the house. That said, I still think some people can’t find things, & for those people, there’s only so much you can do. But overall I think the labels are a good idea & can be done tastefully (as much as possible) to make it more attractive. It also grants permission to the guest to open that cabinet, etc. 

Marcus21
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What about leaving any relevant cupboards open on arrival?  Hopefully it will strike them as odd and as they go round closing them they’ll register what’s inside, if not initially theyll soon become aware there’s a  reason and hopefully pay more attention as they go/check back. Try to arrange items of importance in the easiest to access cupboards/places in cupboards/front/lowdown/centre put less useful/used things further back. Agree on other hosts posts on labels hidden in areas that are then intuitively revealed that said have tried this on some areas and they just never registered..trial and error.  Less places to look would be my final suggestion, have fewer cupboards, maybe lock cupboards that aren’t relevant and keep less items around in general, less to sort through for them to find what they want, try to cut everything unnecessary or under used just as the article suggests, I have stopped providing spare towels/bedding for example because they were seldom used and didn’t want to wash extra sets anyway!, no complaints as yet. Complimentary food is another, dont do it, leave guests space for their shopping instead. I think it shows you’re confident/unselfconscious about what you offer. I’m very pleased I often get compliments of my tiny apartment being very small but having just what was required or just enough.

I got a sheet of transparent labels at Target ($1 a sheet)

I use them over switches (which switch does what)

I also have a number of chalkboard signs (hung on know where trash goes), one over the plastic glasses shelves (for use in spa).

Guests have thanked me for them and think they are 'cute.'

If you go the chalkboard route, use a chalk pen, not chalk.

People can read your writing better with the pen--and it looks classier.

I have a large walk in closet with all the amenities on beautiful metal shelves. Along with wooden hangers, makeup mirror, iron lint roller, steamer, toilet paper, mints, water, extra blankets, and pillows. Everything is in view 

I resisted originally, but now have a couple of printed sheets on the wall of the kitchenette, detailing where things are, and detailing the compost/recycling/ trash rules.  It's all in the house manual on the coffee table, but it's helped having it posted also.   Also a sign explaining how to reset the GFCI if they overdo it with multiple heated appliances at once.

Well  if and when your guest arrive, and you welcome then Into your home,  you show then give your guest  a small tour and tell them to make themselves feel comfortable and treat the house as if it were there own, in other words go through all the cupboards so they can see where things are, and then check in with them a day or so after, and ask them if they are comfortable, and if they Need anything at all, I have found That it makes them really happy.  They will really like that because it shows them that you care. And I  tend to labeled a lot things  so that they know and how it work etc,  it works for me, and my guest are very happy!

Melvone0,   We also meet our guests as well,  we give them a tour,  indicating where all the necessary items are.  I invite any questions,  and since this is a passive and active solar home, we explain what things will be different from the traditional home.  I have a welcome sign on a specially designed plate with their names- in write-on/wipe-off ink on it, and a couple small pieces of chocolate.  We also go over locking the door.  As a passive home, the doors are designed to seal very tightly, consequently the key and door handle must be turned completely  before opening and closing the door.  So we want to make sure they do not have a problem when they come and go throughout their stay.    Our guests seem to appreciate that we take the time to welcome them personally and explain all that is their for their comfort and use.  We realize not all hosts and do this, but we feel it is one way to make the difference between a hotel stay and an Airbnb stay.  We embrace getting to know our guests even if in a limited manner.  We also feel that our guests, even the younger ones, seem to show more respect of our sharing of part of our home. 

I do this too, am always here to welcome my guests (to their self contained private accommodation, although I do live on-site), and before I leave them to settle in,  I run through where to find everything they are likely to want for their stay, which helps them to quickly be made aware of just what I offer in amenities (eg. including spare toothbrushes, shampoo, conditioner, liquid and bar soap, hair dryer, coffee pod machine and so forth). The features they will need for their stay are detailed in the front see-through pocket of the ring binder containing appliance manuals, recommended eateries and attractions and so forth. My guests will often comment how delighted they are to hear that one thing or another is supplied, as they didn't expect it, and were thinking of bringing, or had forgotten their own. 

Just use the labels. I did and it solved so many problems. I had people buying their own toilet paper because they didn't open the cupboard under the bathroom sink - that was right in front of the toilet... Just label it. Neatly typed and neatly taped. No more complaints about things they can't find. I also had guests buy light bulbs and replace them because they didn't flip the switch for the porch light, and then they told me it was out. I said, "Did you flip the 3rd switch by the door?"  Uhh, no. There ya go. I taped it on so it never got shut off because it runs on a sensor anyway.