Design on a budget: tips from Superhost Huma

Airbnb
Official Account

Design on a budget: tips from Superhost Huma

Huma_SH spotlight_image 1 .jpg

Situated in the South London district of Stockwell is a light green Victorian home with a raspberry pink door. Push the brass door knob in the center, make your way up a distressed staircase, and you’ll see sunlight spilling onto a vintage bed, situated on wide-plank wood floors and set against bold turquoise walls. Welcome to Superhost Huma’s home, a historic four-bedroom house filled with modern amenities.

“It’s a symphony of gorgeous aesthetics,” said Mimi, of Vienna, Austria, just one of many guests who have commented on Huma’s style and decor. “Every little detail is so tastefully thought out, and every single piece of furniture has its own little story to tell.”

When looking at the care that has gone into Huma’s decor, you may not be able to tell that she has no formal interior design training, only a passion for home design and desire to cultivate it through hosting.

The Superhost took some time away from painting a bookcase to share how she started hosting, tips for renovating an old home on a budget, and how she balances hosting with a full time job as a magazine editor.

Everything in your home is so charming and well put together. Did you draw from your magazine experience? 

I work as a features editor for an independent fashion magazine. But I’ve been interested in interiors for a long time, long before I started working in magazines. I started collecting things for my first home before I had my first home—I love random things like cutlery—and I devour interiors magazines. It was all in pursuit of how I’d decorate my first home.

And then you decided to parlay this into hosting on Airbnb?

Well, when I initially joined it was in 2012, the Olympics were on, and everyone was saying how much money you can make. It wasn’t my plan to make a fortune, just to fill a gap. I was in between tenants and selling my apartment at the time. It wasn’t until 2016 when I started hosting in my own home. Before then, I had housemates, and I just decided to give Airbnb a try in one of the rooms. I thought it would be temporary, but one by one I started filling the rooms. Since my last housemate left last summer, all three rooms have been on Airbnb. There was no plan—it just evolved naturally and it’s kind of taken over.

Tell us about renovating your home. It looks like quite the undertaking.

This house has been a major renovation. I don’t want to know what I spent on it, but the expensive things were the labor: builders, plumbers, plasterers, and things I can’t do myself. In terms of decorating, I spent much less money than people would think. I’m obsessed with bargains. I rarely pay the full retail price for anything. A lot of my furniture is vintage, and I get it very cheaply on eBay. Some of it was free because I just came across it. Like when I was visiting my brother, and I saw a chair and yelled, “Stop the car!” The shape of their chair was really beautiful, and it wasn’t infested—you always have to check!—so I could paint it. I can transform a tired looking piece as long as it’s got good bones to start with.

Do you think all of your bargain hunting and repainting has paid off?

Oh yes, I think the number one reason people book my place is for the look of it, the interiors. They do notice and they do comment.

Any tips for hosts who want to redecorate but might feel the time or financial investment is too great?

Firstly, the most inexpensive way to change a room is paint. Impact per cost, you can do an awful lot with paint. Personally, I think white paint is a bad choice. Unless you have a loft-type industrial space, it’s cold, bland, and going to get really dirty straight away. The color I’m using most is gray. You can get that neutral backdrop that goes with anything, but more sophisticated than white and doesn’t start to look dirty so quickly. A light gray is a good option for people to try if they’re not used to using color because it can pretty much go with anything.

How do you balance your full time job with hosting?

I work from home most days, so that really allows me the flexibility to host. If I had to go into an office all day, I don’t think I’d be able to do this. I have both screens open, and I dip in and out of both my Airbnb admin and correspondence and my magazine work. I can’t always respond immediately, but most of the time I respond within 30 minutes and guests are usually quite impressed and appreciate that. So I’m not constantly staring at the computer screen, I get notified by the Airbnb app.

In the morning when I have my coffee, I make sure I’m up to date so I can then plan the rest of my day. But I really have to be on it, organized, and thinking about what I have to clean and prepare first. The bedroom comes first always. The last thing you want is the bedroom to be half finished when the guest arrives. Then I move onto the bathrooms.

Anything you want to add?

In the beginning, I used to worry if a month was looking a bit quiet in terms of bookings, but I’ve learned to be more relaxed about that. If you’re doing your best, well, then the bookings come in. Have confidence and faith in your product. Oh, and you’ll never do so much cleaning and laundry in your entire life.

71 Replies 71
Cynthia564
Level 2
Kitale, Kenya

Its pretty amazing keep it up

Cynthia564
Level 2
Kitale, Kenya

So lovely thanks for the tips

Man-Wen0
Level 2
New Taipei City, Taiwan

Love the style of your house and thank you for the tips. I am a new Airbnb host from Taiwan. I am learning as I go. Hopefully, I'll become a super host soon.

Joyce284
Level 1
Nairobi, Kenya

Your efforts are really encouraging. I will try some of your tips. Joyce Kinaro

Carol891
Level 1
South Africa

Thats great Huma and is really encouraging

Thank you ! 

Thanks for sharing! We combined simple open spaces in our oceanfront saltbox home in Herring Neck, Newfoundland. During the renovation, we found original antiques from the house and combined that with some modern but warm furnishings like a womb chair and an oversized couch. We then added artwork featuring the wildlife and scenery of Newfoundland and our specific region and village! Our guests seem quite happy! We just started in June. This is our first summer renting and so far so good!fullsizeoutput_244c.jpeg

Jessica1263
Level 2
Halifax, Canada

There is a big difference between hosting in ur home and hosting out an apartment that u don't share with a guest....I was always a super host when I rented rooms in a house.  But when u switched over to doing my apartment out solely ...the guests are rude nasty and very inappropriate about their comments LYING on the reviews and being scam artists.. I'm very tired of seeing super hosts who do shared accommodation...trust me u would QUIT airbnb if u did it in private apartments...it's a terrible thing and I think airbnb should rethink how they do this operation

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jessica1263 (I can't seem to tag you - perhaps you have left the CC?).

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I did actually rent out a whole apartment, as mentioned in the ad, and only had good experiences, but that was for longer stays (1-4 weeks) so maybe that is the solution? 

Of course, even with homestays and long-term guests, you do sometimes get the odd difficult and/or rude one. I have had a few bad experiences that made me question whether I wanted to do this anymore. It's important to screen your guests to make sure they are a good fit and also make sure they fully understand what they are booking (they mostly don't read the whole listing or check the house rules) to avoid misunderstandings after they arrive. The only time I have had real issues though is when I have called out a guest for breaking a serious house rule/causing damages. Those are the only times when I have really experienced rudeness.

Frank742
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Very useful advice. Obviously i learn about the paint colour and am glad i did. Now to put this into practice 

Thanks Huma

Moin2
Level 2
Toronto, CA

I have been hosting overseas clients for one year and most of them from India, the Middle East, and South America. I have found the one's from Dubai very demanding but wants things for free. Airbnb does not include meals and one couple starting joining for meals and one couple were getting their relations for Dinners without asking us. I just tolerate this behavior because of they overseas guests.

Cam3
Level 1
Perth, Australia

Great read, just goes to show that if you can work from home most of the time you can really make a difference to your Superhost status.  Well done Huma. I wish I had the time you have to host guests. 

Maria3159
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

That very last line about cleaning and laundry made me smile because its soooo true! I stopped stressing about the mess guests leave behind in my kitchen and bathroom by cleaning up each one fully every other day of any spills and water and shoe dirt marks so clean up between guests is faster. My house rules clearly state to clean up as messes happen in the kitchen, but your idea of clean and a guests can vary greatly. 

Junior60
Level 1
Portland Parish, Jamaica

Thank you for your article....it's refreshing!

Le42
Level 2
Hanoi, Vietnam

Wish to have a chance staying here in our next vacation..♡