Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Educating first-time guests

First-time guests

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good week.

We know how much time and effort you all put into welcoming your guests and making them feel at home.This is why, when you have guests booking on Airbnb for the first time, we want to set the right expectations for you and your home.

If your expectations are misaligned, this can lead to less than ideal trips and reviews, which is discouraging for everyone involved and something that has been mentioned here in the Community Center before. So to help these travelers understand the unique, local experience they can have when they stay in your home, I wanted to let you know that we’re reaching out to educate first-time guests before they arrive at your doorstep!

To find out more information about this take a look at this blog article.

Do you have any handy tips on how you manage expectations for your first-time Airbnb guests?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

144 Replies 144
Elaine14
Level 10
Leeds, United Kingdom

Hi Lizzie

That's a very valid point.  Today for example, a lovely young couple stripped the bed, which we would not expect (they accidentally broke the zip too on the duvet  cover as a result) but left their washing up for us to do.  They meant to please us, but as they did their best, I wouldn't feel comfortable telling them afterwards that they had not got it quite right, as it would have spoiled the feel good factor on both sides. We'd shared our meal with them the night before so they were relaxed and happily going on their way.

Where host are not charging for cleaning, its expected that guests at least wash up their own cups etc, but I hadn't felt it necessary to spell this out in the past, as again it looks nit-picky putting that into the house "rules".

In the past we have a had a few guests say that our bathroom wasn't clean, simply because the 100 year old enamel on the cast iron bath's surface is pitted where a previous guest (not an Airbnb one, I hasten to add) used modern bathroom cleaner to clean it. Its a shade of green so we are unable to re-enamel it as we do the white bath downstairs.   Others have disliked our Greek rag rugs in the hallway upstairs on an unvarnished wooden floor and said our floor or carpets were dirty, which was not true - so all down to expectations and personal stylistic preferences. 

Its about matching the right kind of guests to the right home, as you (and we) are trying to do .  One  in the past complained that we are not like a B and B as we don't do breakfasts, but since it was a one-night booking for Chistmas day we did invite her to join our family meal at my daughter's house, but even then we didn't match up to her expectations.

Fortunately these are rare instances, but it only goes to reinforce what you are now trying to tackle, that  a room on a person's home is a unique experience, not to be compared negatively with a commercial lodging place. 

Definitely, even us as host, have different expectations. For example, I don't charge for cleaning either but, I don't want anybody washing my dishes because I am not sure how well they are going to do it (some people just rinse it with water). So, I have a simple sheet with the wi-fi and basic instructions where I clearly say, please leave the dishes inside the dishwasher.

My recommendation to you, If you want them to wash the dishes, tell them.

Hi Elaine,

I'm with you all the way.

An explaination from Abnb to new guest, should help them understand the personalised format of Abnb, then we won't be disappointing those with unrealistic expectations.      

Hate 'rules' myself but I don't think it's picky, asking people to tidy up after themselves, it's just manners, if they don't have any they need reminding.  Luckily, apart from a charging plug/lead going AWOL (but that's easily remedied), I haven't had any bad experiences myself, yet! .... but I'm sure it's in the post, haha.

Good Luck

Kathryn 🙂

Hi ladies,

I had 1 guest who used my new fluffy towels as nappies. They were such a nice couple really chaiming, It was hard to be rude or know how best to deal with the problems I had with them or other customers sometimes.

I try my best but It is costing me so much money. Now I leave a letter in the house in many languages showing the cost of damaged property.

Feels not good to have to do this but maybe they will be more careful in the future.

Great that you are doing this.

We have a recurring (but fortunately not very frequent) problem that doesn't seem to be addressed on your intro:  people can be very flexible with check-in times without informing the host.  In a hotel with a manned reception (which perhaps they are used to) this is fine, but on one occasion I have had to stay at home for 4 hours waiting for someone.  Would be great if you can explain that this sort of thing (while occasionally completely unavoidable, if a plane gets diverted or similar) can be massively disruptive to a host.

This doesn't just apply to first timers, sadly.

As a host I am very flexible.  A day before they arrive I check to find out what time they will arrive so I can be home when they arrive.  If I am not going to be at home, I instruct them how to get into the lock box for the key and which direction they turn as they enter the house.  Sometimes guests have so much to think about they don't read all the instructions and text me for help.  That's fine, but sometimes I am not next to my phone and don't get the message until later.  Most guests are very flexible too and resourceful.  They usually figure out by themselves where their room is if I have not left a visible note for them.  It is often a learning experience for guests and hosts.  Be patient and do what you can do.  You will still have guests who think the sheets are too "old" even though they aren't or expect a "romantic" weekend when they know you have other guests and they can view all the photos.  I do appreciate when a guest suggests a "shower head extension" for tall people or the water flow is not good.  (In that case when I checked, the shower head was in fact restricted by calcium buildup and I replaced the shower head.  I wouldn't have known if the guest had not told me.)  

Install electronic locks on your doors. We were waiting until all hours for guests who said they were arriving at 3:00pm; but then would not show up until 7 or 8:00.  Now, with the electronic locks ($150 at your home improvement store) and our phone number posted at the door, we can simply program the lock ahead of time (usually with the last four digits of the guest phone number) and tell the guest to use their number -- without actually giving them the digits over the phone when they call.  We have stayed at AirBnB's that have an entry door electronic lock, as well as another electronic lock on the bedroom/suite door for guest safety and privacy. Works like a charm!

This has happened to us a lot. I have been considering asking people to make ab appointment with me. Things have gotten better since I have been doing this:

-The day before they arrive I send them directions to the house because we live in an area that is not covered accurately by gps devices/apps. (yesterday the guest responded that she would be here after 3:00 which is check-in time)

-On the day of arrival I send them another note:"I hope you are having a good trip. Please let me know when you have some idea of what time you will be arriving. Thank you Zephyr". (After I sent that message to the same guest she sent me an exact time which was exactly when she arrived)

@Lizzie@Susan628@Sydney16@Gail88@Zephyr0 that is what I also do. Send a few messages pre-arrival of guests.

With directions and a map as we have no street signs.

I post a picture of a  tree with a sign and arrow, count out the speed bumps (7)

Make a left and go 200 meters till you hit a bamboo fence.

You are here.

First-time guests never read about the listing.

Experienced guests are the best.

Plug and play.

I don't use instant book most of my guests stay from 3-10 nights also

havent updated my photos out of laziness.

The guests all say its beautiful... nicer than the pictures

that is an excellent trick for good reviews too.

Just saying 

Hi all. Great idea. 

I have just had guests (a couple and one small child ) and for one night used the queen bed and two doubles. I do not charge for linen but am considering it 

I am located on an island in Thailand.

It is difficult for taxi drivers to find my house. So I always contact the customer personaly to arange meeting time in my local village.

Some customers fly in. Get a taxi. And instead of contacting me,  stop to have drinks and dinner leaving me waiting for them sitting on a motorbike in the rain for 2 hours intill 11 at night. 

Turned out to be fab customers. Who are still my friends but as you say please someone explain this is not a hotel with a reception open 24 hours.

To try and cut this problem down the day prior to arrival I send a text asking what time to expect them the next day. At times, if I have an appointment or errand I need to run I spell out that I cannot personally meet them between "X" times and if they need access during that time I place a key box on my door so they can enter on there own. So far I haven't had to use the key box for guest room rentals, just when I'm renting out my entire home while traveling. 

Hi, on the comment from Mark & Mandy about guests arrival times, I always message guests 5 days before their arrival with directions when they arrive in our village and request that they provide me with an arrival time.  If this is not forthcoming I message them again after a couple of days re-inforcing that I need to know an approximate time of arrival so that I can be here to greet them and show them the house.  I have even had to text them on a mobile occassionally when they still haven't responded the day before they arrive.  It is really anoying if you end up hanging around so I think this point should be made clear by Airbnb to all guests when they book that this information is a basic requirement and highlighted so it stands out to guests.

Christine.

Again, all hosts are different - my guests can arrive ANYTIME they like AFTER my check in time (and they don't need to let me know), so like the washing and cleaning requirements mentioned above, just because you need precise notification of an arrival time, please don't assume that all hosts do!

(In fact I want to encourage my guests to take their time getting to my place, stop randomly and enjoy the sights while they drive up the spectacular tropical coast highway, plus throw away the alarm clock and appointment diary - relax and unwind... just arrive when they feel like it.)