Feedback on Superhost criteria

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Feedback on Superhost criteria

Superhost 1.pngHello everyone,

As you know I share a lot of your feedback with Airbnb teams.

The Superhost team is currently evaluating the Superhost criteria. They’ve been hearing a lot of feedback from hosts both here in the Community Center and during research sessions. Here are some of the things they’re considering:

1. Number of trips: 10 trips OR 150 nights in the past 365 days, instead of 10 trips currently
  2. Number of cancellations: 0 cancellations in the past 25 reservations (with a max of 1 cancellation per year), instead of 0 cancellations in the past 365 days currently
  3. Average overall rating: Exclude one outlier low-review in the past 365 days from the evaluation

They would like to hear directly from you on these potential changes:

• What do you think about these changes?
  • Are these changes easy to understand?
  • Do these changes seem more fair to you as a host?
  • Do they motivate you to continue to work to become or remain a Superhost?

I will share the feedback you submit on THIS topic specifically with the Superhost team. These are not the only things the team is currently looking into, but they wanted to run these ideas by you first.

Thank you so much and I look forward to hearing from you.

Lizzie

Legal disclaimer: By selecting "Post", you agree to share your ideas publicly and without any expectation of confidentiality or compensation of any kind. While Airbnb welcomes your contributions, Airbnb may be working independently on similar policies, products, or features, and may choose to review and/or implement your ideas in its sole discretion. You also agree that the https://www.airbnb.com/terms and https://www.airbnb.com/terms/privacy_policy apply to your use of this and all Community Center pages.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

138 Replies 138
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Lilly28@Carol354@Lawrene0@Huma0@Letti0, @Anonymous, @Fred13@Tim-and-Holly0@Alice-and-Jeff0@Robin4@Jessica-and-Henry0@Christine615@Ange2,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on the three different criteria points the team are considering at the moment. It is really interesting to hear your thought provoking points and additional questions around this. All of it is really helpful, including the questions because this also helps the team to investigate this more. 

As others have mentioned here, many of you mentioned the review system and it is obviously interconnected to many different parts of Airbnb and so it is understandable that when addressing your thoughts on the  outlier review suggestion here, that you want to dive deeper into this. I will certainly highlight everything you and everyone have mentioned here.

Thank you again and have a great weekend.

Lizzie

(P.S - off-topic, but to answer you question Alice about the @ mention flicker, I do believe as of earlier today, this is now fixed! 🙂 If you still notice it though, do let me know - thanks) 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1. Allow 1 host cancellation per year.  @Fred  I can't reply to your post directly it says "error" .

Wonder why no continuity of conversation is allowed, reminds me of when FREE 48 hours was introduced - same error messages!

Anyway,  @Fred

Re:   "1 host cancellation per year  - like it has been for years"  Are you sure that is how it works ?

I cancelled a guest,  first one for year, in fact more than a year.   My superhost was revoked because I could not deliver extenuating circumstance documents to Airbnb within 48 hours,  all other penalties applied: dates blocked etc., etc.,  the only exception I received was no $$ fine.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Oh, meant my position has been for years is - to allow 1 cancellation per year; to account for a rare 'emergency' need to cancel someone without having to leave it up to Airbnb, which is always a  crapshoot.  

You know Ange, when I think of you (and Linda!) specifically, not being Superhosts,  as consistent fair-minded and well-spoken as you two always are, it serves to convince me that the whole Superhost program definitely needs some work.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lizzie

Thanks Lizzie, shimmering tags have gone.  Thank god that wasn't Airbnb waiting for us to fix something. The company would have cast us into the ocean of oblivion a few weeks ago!

It is nice to know you do push our barrow for us though Lizzie!

Cheers.....Rob

Catherine342
Level 2
Eagle Point, Australia

I think the one outlier low review is a great idea. I had a very dodgy group stay and gave me 2 stars after breaking a lot of house rules. I called them out for it but allowed them to stay anyway ( dog left loose in the house and on the beds while they went out, as well as partying loudly all night ).

I notice the 3 star review I gave them has been deleted. Shame really as I gave them that to warn other potential hosts.

i even think maybe one outlier for every approx  50 review  would be better. I have a lot of guest stays as I have a lot of one nighters.

Salem2
Level 10
Al Hadd, Oman

I find that Superhost standard is very hard to maintain with the current system, it takes only 1 disgruntled guest who picked the wrong property to knock you off you feet and then begins the uphill climb once again. I have mostly very good reviews 4* and 5* and very nice comments yet I have never been able to maintain Superhost status.

Another point to mention in all of this is I really don’t think guests fully understand the rating system, or how much work goes into hosting! there is a big difference from one star to the next! I think if they did they would rate more carefully, having said that I had one guest who gave me a revenge 1 star rating, this is why I would agree with exculding the lowest review.

Do we need stars? I find it exhausting and bad reviews make me sad and anxious... and even with a 4* review I wonder where I went wrong! which if you think about it is absurd...

Since its not only the property which is under scrutiny its the host as well and the weather and everything else that happened that day, can we really rate accurately? should the review be strictly about the property or can we have separate reviews host/property or why not rely on comments only? or thumbs up thumbs down?

Miriam84
Level 1
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hola a todos, totalmente de acuerdo con algunos de Udes. lamentablemente uno tiene algunos comentarios que no entiende por que suceden y nos bajan la calificación.

Si yo soy huésped y elijo un espacio es por que estoy de acuerdo con el costo y las condiciones y no hago cargo a quien me alquila por elegirlo.

Por lo que cuando me dejan una calificación del precio a 3 estrellas o que solo había un ventilador en una habitación de 2x3 o te dan 4 estrellas en la ubicación o que la cama era dura cuando ves que los colchones y las almohadas son nuevas o no había papel higiénico con lo cual deberías haber buscado en el mueble del baño y cuando se retiran te dicen todo genial si vuelvo a Buenos Aires no dudaría en volver a tu casa, verdaderamente me entristece, por que realmente detallo mi espacio con lo bueno y lo malo para que no tengan sorpresas, así mismo hay gente mal intencionada.

Solo espero que Airbnb no me diga en un mes que ya no pertenezco a un estándar Superhost por que esta gente me haya calificado de esta manera por que me ofusca muchísimo ya que yo dependo de este trabajo y realmente espero no dejar de serlo por tener estos números 

4.8*Calificación general
50Evaluaciones totales
88%Evaluaciones con 5 estrellas

Las estrellas tendrían que estar basadas para mejorar no solo para ser Superhost y no estar incluido el precio ya que todo depende de la situación de cada país y la elección de cada huésped.

Quiero dar las gracias así también cuando he tenido un problema se han comunicado conmigo a la brevedad y solucionado el inconveniente.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Lizzie Good to see that changes of some sort are being considered. However, for me, the most bizarre aspect of the current arrangement is that you can receive warnings / be suspended / be delisted for falling below 4.8. Meaning, one is either a Super Host, or one is a sub-par host whose presence on the platform is questionable. This just does not make any kind of sense. What *would* make sense is that hosts who are between a 4.0 and 4.7 are considered to be good, competent hosts - just not 'Super Hosts'. No warnings / threats of suspension are received. Anyone falling consistently below 4.0 would receive warnings and might be delisted if performance does not improve (based on reviews). 

Another thing that needs to be changed: Guests need to be better educated on the star-rating system, and they should not be led to believe that a four-star review is just fine and dandy. Because, as all us hosts know, it is not, given anything less than 5 stars triggers warnings and threats and alarms.

Addressing the above two issues would go a long way to reduce the 'Hunger Games'-like atmosphere being generated by the current review system. Because the way it is now, one 'bad' review (including an unfair, retaliatory one) can wipe out a host's business, no matter how many 5 star reviews they have received or how long they have been a successful Super Host.  I fail to see how this is serving anyone - Guests, Hosts, or Corporate. Am I missing something?

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Lizzie  and also Fred - can't seem to @ Fred??? 

Hello all, I have read everyones comments and suggestions and copied directly from Fred - thanks Fred. It is brief, to the point and seems in line with my thoughts. 

So my vote is: 

1. Allow 1 host cancellation per year.

2. 1 year minimum requirement to be eligiable for Superhost, 10 review minimum to accomodate infrequent-bookings.

3. Any review that deviates more than 2 stars from the 'norm' of a host, immediately gets flagged and is reviewed by a human before posting.  This serves to prevent an abuse before it happens.

My Review thoughts and system for teaching Guests what the Stars REALLY mean according to my gospel of Airbnb............lol

I would add that Guests need to be informed and taught about what this rating system is: a picture can mean anything -  a heart = really 5*..........every person has different life filters with words, thoughts, pictures and so some things you MUST make completely clear.

5* excellent all the way around

4*  failure for any hosts (bad news for hosts)         

3* Really bad and never again at this place   

2* Running out the door       

1* garbage- the worst-horrible

This seems what the numbers are meaning for hosts these days - and is EVIDENT totally bizarre.  BUT guests do NOT know this at all...........at all.

A sweet little video for guests to watch (not read) when they review would be the way to fly. As we know most folks are on phones and looking at videos/pics, NOT reading what something means. Just a thought. 

I do love hosting and hate that so many struggle and with all the challenges in the world, media and life presently.  Its my hope we can find some peace, love and happiness - Wasn't that a song? 

happy hosting mighty warriors out there!  Clara

I totally agree with this: 

3. Any review that deviates more than 2 stars from the 'norm' of a host, immediately gets flagged and is reviewed by a human before posting.  This serves to prevent an abuse before it happens.

Erin-and-John0
Level 3
Portland, OR

I think those are fine adjustments, but I would like to see made public the percentage of guests that review each property, or that somehow incorporated into the superhost algorithms.  My property is reviewed by 75% - 80% of guests, which means I sometimes get those stubborn 4 star guests, but one of the competitive owners in the area, with several properties (our area is VERY small so quite easy to track) gets booked at a similar rate, but is reviewed much less frequently leading to only the really positive guests leaving reviews. 

The second thing I would like added somehow is an adjustment for accepting first time Airbnb guests which can cause lower review scores at times as they are less aware of  the standards of stay i.e. hotel vs Airbnb stay and amenities. 

Thanks!

Mike246
Level 10
Trinidad, CA

Too dissapointed to care anymore.

Huge fixes needed .. 

1. Airbnb cancellation policy change - no appropriate strict/non-refundable option.

2. Inability to restrict Inquiries when they do not match set Instant Book Requirements - results in stressful rejections and cancellations and host "acceptance" rates.

3. Host should be allowed to see Guest review before recommending Guest.

4. Option for host to receive govt ID profile pics and ID informaton on acceptance

5. If Cancellations are Airbnb's BIGGEST issue, providing better matches upfront is the BEST way for 5star success - not ridiculous hoops, penalties, and disinsentives.

Hosts provide so much info upfront on themselves and their homes - Guests should have verified IDs, Credit Cards,  Billing Addresses, and phone numbers provided at Inquiry. 

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Lizzie

Re Location sub-category

I seem to be in the minority here, in that I don't find the location category to be particularly problematic! (maybe it's because I score a few brownie points there 😉 ) Along with the other categories, it's subjective. I see the location category as encompassing a range of factors:

1. the aesthetics, eg is it pleasing to the eye etc;

2. convenience to public transport, local amenities, the airport;

3. proximity to the city and tourist attractions;

4. safety;

5. noise levels;

6. cleanliness;

7. proximity to where our guest wants to be!

etc.

When we've been marked down on location, I can only guess as to which factors have been in our guest's mind!

Re evaluating superhost criteria, I'm a simple soul so.. given that guests are tasked with rating hosts on 6 sub-categories and a 7th overall, this data should be utilised: I'm all for following Ryan's suggestion and adding up all the lovely stars and dividing by 7! What should be the qualifying average for superhost...?... um, dunno, maybe 4.5 stars out of 5, ie 90% - seems fair to me.

Number of trips: 10 trips OR 150 nights in the past 365 days, instead of 10 trips currently – seems fair.

Number of cancellations: 0 cancellations in the past 25 reservations (with a max of 1 cancellation per year), instead of 0 cancellations in the past 365 days currently – my brain hurts...

Average overall rating: See above for my simple solution.

Exclude one outlier low-review in the past 365 days from the evaluation – seems fair.

I do not like the location part of the review either. I hava a downtown duplex in a mountain town and as such is in the middle of an eclectic mixture of businesses, restaurants, mobiles, apartments and condos. I state it clearly in my listing. Mine is not a “view” or in-the- pines location but I get dinged alot for the location. I am within walking distance of so many activities etc.. and that is our plus. Does not seem fair. My listing is accurate and they still give me a 4

@Patricia55 you are lucky with your location. :). Regarding 

1. the aesthetics, eg is it pleasing to the eye etc;

2. convenience to public transport, local amenities, the airport;

3. proximity to the city and tourist attractions;

4. safety;

5. noise levels;

6. cleanliness;

7. proximity to where our guest wants to be!

Not every host has these things, but we all describe our locations, amenities, distance to places - the question should be more like did the location match the host's description, rather than the subjective outlook by the guest. I list exactly how far I am from the beach and describe it as walking distance. Most guests have agreed, but some will say it is not walking distance and mark me down. If they read how far it is and know that is not walking distance FOR THEM, but it is clearly articulated how far it is, the stars should not go down. If they rated it based on how I described my location, it is less subjective.