Going above and beyond to welcome your guests

Airbnb
Official Account

Going above and beyond to welcome your guests

1.jpg

Nothing makes guests feel more welcome than a handwritten note or a bouquet of fresh flowers. And when guests have a memorable stay, they’re more likely to leave glowing reviews, tell their friends and family about your space, and even come back for another visit.

Delighting your guests with a warm greeting can make them feel appreciated, but you don’t have to spend a lot of money. From thoughtful notes to freshly baked treats, here’s how some hosts around the world have gone above and beyond in welcoming their guests:

1. Write a friendly welcome note

When guests are traveling, a personalized welcome can be the difference between feeling homesick and feeling at home. “I have a little chalkboard in each room that welcomes the guests, and I include their names each time,” says host Huma of London. “It's such a small touch, but they really love this.”

You can leave the same sentiment in a handwritten note. “I recently decided to start to leave a welcome treat with a card,” says host Trude of Edsberg, Sweden. In your note, you might include your favorite place to get a coffee or a fun fact about your area.

2.jpg

2. Give your guests a taste of your town

One of the best ways to help your guests get settled is to introduce them to the top spots in your neighborhood. “We have a local bakery that makes a cinnamon cream cake that I happen to love, and I brought one to the first guest,” says host David of San Antonio, Texas, who now treats all of his guests to his favorite cake.

3. Put your own baking skills to work

If you’re a great baker, consider highlighting your hospitality skills by making your specialty for your guests. “I started leaving a few homemade cookies,” says host Beth of Roraima, Brazil. “I get a lot of return business, and the cookies have been commented on multiple times.”

3.jpg

4. Get your guests involved

In addition to offering a sweet treat, host David of San Antonio, Texas, leaves wine for his guests. “There’s a hashtag: #takeabottleleaveabottle,” says David, who encourages guests to replace the bottle they enjoyed with a new one. Over the years, the collection has grown: “We have a wall with five different types of wine,” he says. The one-in, one-out idea makes this an affordable option. You could also try this with books!

5. Create a snack basket

“We realize that people come to have a good time,” says host Jerry of Atlanta. “A lot of times they come back home, and they have the munchies.” So he now stocks his kitchen with a basket of snacks like microwave popcorn, cookies, potato chips, and pretzels.

4.jpg

6. Customize your treat

Get to know your guests, and be aware of their needs. “We leave a treat at check-in,” says host Laura of Frederick, Maryland. “Sometimes it’s local cheese, chocolate, or baked goods. Sometimes it’s local beer or a bottle of wine.” She messages her guests about any dietary restrictions first: “Not everyone drinks or can eat cheese, so I ask.“

If your guests have kids, a packet of stickers or a few juice boxes can be a thoughtful surprise. “If there are children, I leave a lollipop or small bag of candy and a small box of crayons [with a] coloring book,” says host Ann of New York City. And if your guests are traveling with pets, consider having dog treats on hand to share with their furry friends.

7. Show off your local culture

If there’s something inexpensive that your region is known for—such as leis in Hawaii—consider leaving something small to delight your guests at check-in. “One of the biggest things that we provide here is Mardi Gras beads,” says host Jordan of New Orleans. Guests appreciate these souvenirs, which can help them remember their stay long after checkout.

5.jpg

8. Get a little help from nature

From fresh flowers to homegrown vegetables, guests love the great outdoors. “I pick a sweet little bouquet for the guest room from my garden,” says host Sarah of Sayulita, Mexico. Fresh fruit or vegetables from a garden can also work well. Don’t have a garden? Inexpensive flowers from the grocery store or local market can be a colorful way to welcome your guests.

9. Save money by buying in bulk

Stocking up on supplies can save you time and money, but you can still add your special touch. Host Karen of Port Elizabeth, South Africa, buys her cookies wholesale, “which provides us with a super low-cost biscuit,” she says. She also found a quick way to personalize the treats: “We bought a sealer, and we package and seal the biscuits with our own label.”

6.jpg

10. Celebrate special occasions

Whether guests are visiting during a birthday, anniversary, or holiday, you can help make their stay even more memorable. “We had one couple staying for New Year's, so we got them a bottle of champagne,” says host Damon of Atlanta. Host Jennifer of Ontario, Canada, also keeps the occasion in mind. “If a guest is here for a specific celebration—birthday, honeymoon—I leave a little something appropriate to mark their celebration,” she says.

Going above and beyond to welcome your guests is always appreciated but remember: Hospitality doesn’t have to cost anything. A handwritten note can still show your guests you’re thinking of them, which can make all the difference when they’re far from home.

194 Replies 194
Linda158
Level 2
Callicoon, NY

I am the cheapest Airbnb in the region. I just said to myself..why am I continually being  asked to lower my prices to get more guests. As it is, I am making minimum wage considering the cleaning of the house and maintaining  impeccable grounds, deck etc. and proving breakfast.

However, I love the  guests, most of whom are friendly and some of whom feel like visiting family. The most recent woman was a seismologist, and another a retired TIME  journalist whose tale included "when I was in the Hindu Kush" !! 

Another guest provided a description of how to cut up a deer for venison, and a family from Beijing made watercolors in my studio. Airbnb also allows me to pay my taxes. .I dont know what I would do financially without them.

But I'm  not going to lower my prices.

Noel15
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

I love these ideas- I try to personalize the guest experience! I am going to post this at my blog at @coachthehost.com

Ruth255
Level 3
Hudson, FL

Our guests are getting a welcome card, a bottle of wine, a couple bottles of water, and some fresh fruit. Are kids coming they are getting a bottle of juice. I never baked something since the schools don't allow house made and baked items. It looks like people are scared of unwrapped food. Of course, the fruits are unwrapped as well but it was always appreciated. From now on we offer the kids a little goody bag with small toys and  a special candle glass for the adults.  

Ruth

Carla1056
Level 2
Orlando, FL

As a host, I love to impress my guests. As a guest, I have never Selected a stay because I would get cookies or candy....  location, cleanliness and charm is what attracts people to our places.

Unfortunately, since I lowered my prices, I've had to deal with a different type of guest. Unauthorized parties, messes, and damaged property. It has cost me more to clean and replace items, and Airbnb has slowed down their response rate when guests choose to ignore the additional charges.Those that pay more tend to care for the place as if it were their own. This may not be the same for each guest, but that has been my experience so far. I look forward to increasing my prices when the peak season returns.

It doesn’t make sense, does it? I had a guest like that once too and learned that only raising the price can resolve that kind of problem. Unfortunately it deters many good guests as well, leaving the place vacant. I refuse to host “troublesome people”. And that’s what I call “smart pricing”. I might start hosting students through Homestay agencies. At least there’s a police background check involved and an agent is available in person. I agree, you should increase your prices.

Quite right.

Deborah288
Level 2
Cádiz, Spain

I make big efforts, and some people always complain or don't leave reviews. Also they steal things.

Brenda350
Level 3
Milwaukee, WI

I like to do snacks and cards especially for long distance travelers.

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

As a matter of fact, as a guest I have never encountered a host who would offer me cookies, home made bread or wine. No flowers either. All I needed on my travels was a place to crash after a day of exploring the hood. It’s not home, so there’s no point of overdoing it. Clean sheets and a comfy bed is all I really needed. While I am away from home I am interested in sightseeing and eating out. Aren’t vacations suppose to be like that?

Yo también me esfuerzo en tener detalles, les dejo un café de bienvenida y una cestita de fruta. Toallitas desmaquillantes, la ropa de cama y toallas de calidad además de hipoalergénica.  Por mencionar algunos detalles.

Y me sorprende que mis dos últimos huéspedes, no valoraron nada y me bajó mucho la puntuación. Y todo porque un vecino se puso de obras, y eso que tiene que ver con mi alojamiento. No fueron valoraciones objetivas, y airbnb me llama la atención, porque uno de ellos me valoró mal en calidad y poca veracidad, cuando do incluso contraté su fotógrafo.

Alguien lo entiende?

Robert4649
Level 3
Foulkesmill, Ireland

@Cheryl40 "In my experience anyone  asking for a discount is nothing but trouble."  Amen sista!

Pamela803
Level 1
South Lake Tahoe, CA

My first booking was an instant book the day after I signed up.. problem is , I didnt know about instabook because it wasnt made a clear option. I just got a call that "were on our way...I was unprepared and shocked when I realised that ABNB discounted my "first booking and charged the price of only 1 room for 2 room s 4 beds and all those sheets for 1 night. I cancelled by ABNB same day.

As a host from sri lanka i really found good new ideas from here. Very interesting. Really true stories. Thank you so much. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I started reading this thread because I thought wow, 166 ways to make your guests feel special. Couldn't be more wrong! Maybe 20 ways and the rest disgruntled hosts. Yes, there are things Airbnb could improve on, but this post was for a different topic.

My best tip is to imagine yourself as the guest, or a long lost friend you want to show a warm welcome to. No need to provide many consumables, if at all. A note, a flower, a friendly approach.

If you are that miserable, how warm a welcome are you prepared to give?