Guest profile photos: Airbnb response to community feedback

Airbnb
Official Account

Guest profile photos: Airbnb response to community feedback

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your feedback on the recent changes we announced to the guest profile photo process. Our team has read each and every one of your comments. We understand many of you are feeling frustrated right now, so we want to respond with some more details and clarification.

First, we want to acknowledge that this is a complicated and emotional topic: It touches on elements such as discrimination, choice, safety, and equality between Airbnb hosts and guests. As always, we’ve been really impressed by the quality of the conversations, and the supportiveness of the community in this thread. We’ve had significant discussion and debate about it internally at Airbnb, too. It’s clear that we need to keep listening and engaging with you (our hosts and partners) on this topic, and we commit to continuing to do so.

At the same time, it’s important that we also continue to take guest concerns into account. Most guests do provide a profile photo, but others told us that they didn’t want to share a picture of themselves when booking on Airbnb because they’re concerned their photos could be misused in a way that violates Airbnb’s nondiscrimination policy. As you know, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong anywhere, and we want to make sure guests can feel comfortable when they travel on Airbnb.

We also know from many conversations with hosts (and from reading through your comments here) that you really value profile photos, for several important reasons (knowing what guests look like before they arrive, feeling safer, etc.). We always want to balance the needs of both hosts and guests and, at the same time, make sure we’re working towards Airbnb’s mission. It can be exceptionally hard to get that balance right, but we tried to do this with these recent changes.

As we highlighted in our previous post, the new policy means that Airbnb will not require guests to provide a profile photo and that, for those guests who choose to provide a profile photo, those photos will not be shown to hosts until after the booking is accepted. At the same time, we introduced a new host control that allows you to opt in to require that your guests provide a profile photo prior to submitting a booking request. This photo will be shown to hosts as soon as you accept the booking request, so you’ll be able to ensure you know what your guests look like before they arrive. In addition, you can always require your guests to provide a government ID to Airbnb, as well (more on that here).

Here are a few more tips to help you build trust with guests before a trip:

• You can message with them to get more information about the purpose of their trip;
  • You can use your House Rules to set expectations with potential guests, too. (Guests have to review and agree to your House Rules before they can request to book your space.)
  • You can review past guest reviews, from other hosts, to make a more informed decision about accepting booking requests.

Now, there are a few key themes we read in your comments about these changes, and we want to take a few minutes to address each of them:

Safety: Many of you mentioned that you’re not comfortable hosting someone who doesn't want to show their face, and some of you pointed out that you’re in challenging situations (remote locations and solo female hosts, for instance). This is an incredibly important topic. We’ve read through your responses, and we are committed to looking for ways to build trust between guests and hosts in all situations.

We’d like to extend an invitation to the engaged host community following this thread. Our home safety team is brainstorming ideas for how we could improve your experience and ensure you feel more safe hosting. While we have lots of ideas, we know the best solutions will come from listening to you, so we’d like to connect directly. Please let us know in the comments, below.

Timing: Many of you asked when you would see the changes to the guest profile photo process occur. We’re rolling them out gradually, as we often do with new products or processes. Currently, these changes have been introduced to 75% of hosts globally, and in the coming weeks will be available to 100% of hosts.  

Profile photos: A number of you raised concerns about profile photos that show a picture of a sunset or the guest’s dog instead of the guest themselves.  We have updated our policies to address these concerns. If you choose to turn on the new control and require that your guests have a profile photo, you can call Airbnb’s Community Support if you accept a reservation from a guest that does not have a profile photo of themselves.  Our Community Support team will work with you to address the situation. If you feel uncomfortable hosting someone without a photo of themselves, you can request to cancel the reservation penalty-free. (We recommend messaging the guest directly before cancelling.)

Discrimination: We do not condone discrimination by any member of the Airbnb community. These changes are part of our commitment to combating discrimination. Many of you responded that you believe these changes were unnecessary because you share our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We appreciate that feedback and can’t overstate the importance of having a host community that is engaged on this topic. Nonetheless, guests have consistently told us that they have concerns about hosts making decisions based on profile photos in violation of our Non-discrimination policy. We believe the changes to how we display photos addresses these concerns while balancing hosts’ interest in seeing potential guests before they arrive. Making these changes was an incredibly complex decision, for all the reasons you raised, but after significant debate (and working with many experts on this topic), we decided they were crucial changes to make.

Thank you for continuing to give us feedback and support as we strive to continue improving Airbnb for both hosts and guests. We hope you understand that we needed to make these changes to ensure a world of belonging and inclusivity. Please continue to tell us how we can improve, and we’ll continue to listen and adjust as we work to ensure you can feel comfortable and confident hosting.

Thank you,

The Airbnb Team

199 Replies 199
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patti4    I usually get quite informative and nice pre-booking messages from guests. But sometimes I don't get timely responses to further messages I've sent. We tend to think the guest is just not bothering, but every time this has happened, there has always been a logical explanation, so I now tend not to jump to conclusions or let it make me feel uncomfortable. Twice the guests were camping and out-of-range and communicated as soon as they were back, once the guest hadn't received any notification that there was a message waiting, once the guest had had a death in the family and was consumed by it- her Airbnb account was far from her mind. 

I just had a guest whose initial Booking Request message was "I'll be arrriving at noon if all goes according to plan." This before he'd even had the Request approved! But I looked at his reviews and he had two- both good. So I just messaged back asking if he'd read through the listing info and realized it was a private room for 1 person only and that it was 20 minute walk to town. He messaged back right away, saying yes, that's just what he was wanting, as he needed a break from the city and work to just relax. (The message he should have sent in the first place)  He turned out to be an absolutely delightful young man, super respectful, highly intelligent and appreciative of my place. Cute, too- if I was 40 years younger, I'd have had an instant huge crush on him 🙂

Patti4
Level 8
Freeville, NY

Today I received a booking request from a guest with no reviews, communicated with them, and accepted it.

But still no guest photo. 

I called support and they said only IB can require a photo. I said, no, that's not correct. Hosts who elect to have booking requests can set the guest requirement for a photo before the guest can request a booking. (Listing -> Booking Settings -> Guest Requirements -> Photo)

Besides the fact that the host support agent was wrong, and despite ABB's change in policy dated this thread, here is an example of a failure in the new system. The guest is new to ABB and created their profile today along with Gov't ID verifications and a photo (they said). But I can't see the photo. That may be because there is a delay between the creation of the profile and photo going "live." What if the other requirements are also "delayed" or even bogus? Aaargh!

ABB needs to fix it. It proves that for hosts who do not use IB, the guest requirement setting for a photo is not bulletproof.

UPDATE: within an hour or two the guest photo was visible.

Unfortunately, if you read the small print you will see, Airbnb does not REQUIRE a guest photo at all actually. Under profile photo (for instant book hosts), it states "Guests are encouraged, but not required to have a profile photo". 

Talon-And-Ron0
Level 3
Nanaimo, Canada

I am still getting requests with no photo and I am still declining them. Each time I send them and airbnb a note as to why. That I will not accept any guest without seeing a photo first.  Its not affecting my bookings as I am in a very touristy area and guests with a photo prior to booking and all the Gov Id submitted to airbnb are booking up nicely with us. Sorry airbnb - my house my rules not yours!

Patti4
Level 8
Freeville, NY

Michael and Jill in Carmel, maybe I wasn’t clear. Whether using  IB or not, hosts can elect to require that guests have a photo in their profile before they book/send a booking request. I do not use IB so I can’t see the photo until there’s a confirmed booking. I could not see the photo after the booking was confirmed despite the setting. Hope that helps clear this up. 

Tom530
Level 3
Vancouver, WA

The host control that requires a profile photo is basically useless if AirBnB doesn't insist that the profile photo is a recognizable face photo! We've already had one guest who booked the room for their estranged husband under her name  (which was a name that could have been either male or female) and didn't tell us! the only way we could tell is that in her case she did have a facial profile shot. Right now, we have another guest who booked with a photo of a pond. What good is that? Please invoke the common sense policy, host safety depends on it!

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

Safety first.  Why should I as a host opening my safe private spaces to strangers be required to post a photo and profile information and potential guests not do so reciprocally ? 

Perhaps Airbnb should provide hosts with guest government IDs at the time they inquire so host can conduct their own background screening.  You punish hosts for rejecting or declining reservations for very valid reasons but do not seem to take into account the non compliance of guests with Airbnb policies and rules.even before they book. 

Personally putting it bluntly, Im not interested in ..opening my home to convicted violent offenders' crack heads, druggies, booze hounds or sexual preditors for the sake of "inclusiveness and diversity "

DOES AIRBNB really VET the guests?  Do you run a $1 sherriffs background check to be sure that hosts arent victimized...even homeless.shelters do that?   Youve moved to listing more hotels and motels but have not maintained rules or performance to protect hosts . When Airbnb ends up as the defendant loosing billions in class action suits for recklessly endangering hosts by not abiding by their OWN published perhaps they will rethink their sudden program changes an wild unfettered out of control expansion at the risk of COSTING the Diverse community of hosts their health safety and financial security.

Patricia1008
Level 5
St Augustine, FL

By Airbnb not complying with requirement that 3rd party bookings provide I D of the guests who will be staying and indicating it was a third party booking they are needlessly endangering hosts. i called the sherriffs Department to remove one of the guests from my home, when I was terrorized by the guest who sent me texts of his exposed erect **bleep** and making lude suggestive remarks while he was.in a room down the hall in my home.   

Airbnb " required " that I send a screen shot of the.txt and obscene photo the man sent..further traumatizing me, .but did NOT require the pervert to provide a photo of his face...

Profiles, photos and government photo IDs are now required.before anyone I dont know stays in my home.  If someone doesnt want to comply with that requirement then they wont be staying here...simple as that...

Pamela211
Level 2
Omagh, United Kingdom

I’ve been a super host for over four years. I’ve never refused anyone to stay judging on their appearance. 

Billy wanted to stay with me. In Billy’s profile picture he was holding a GUN

Thank you Airbnb for allowing this man easy access  into my home !!! 

Does something awful have to happen before we hosts are listened too???

Patricia1796
Level 2
St Petersburg, FL

Wow, thats great we can see a photo after accepting a booking. Problem is we wont accept a booking unless we see a photo and a profile. I back policies on discrimination but not at the expense of hosts (whose profiles, reviews and photos are provided).

Discriminating against one group to protect another group is a silly knee-jerk option.

Please rethink this. Punish discriminators, not the whole community of hosts.

j tezzas

Sarah784
Level 2
Bridport, United Kingdom

I was shocked to find the change in guest photo policy and now feel very insecure as well as discriminated against as a host: who have been asked to post clear photos and information,  but it seems no longer for guests.  This is not about mutual trust and homestay, the original ethos of Airbnb, which seems to have become just another platform for commercial accommodation.  Many years ago when I was a business and highly listed with our tourism board I felt far more protected than now, as their office were very careful about who they referred in view of my status. 

Sally300
Level 4
Des Moines, IA

Dear Air BnB staff,

It does indeed seem like you actually read the comments last time, which I approve of and am relieved about.  However, I do think you're trying to fix something that isn't broken; creating a disporportionately burdensome response to the amount of broken; or, if it is fully, broken, making it our responsibility when it should be yours. You've created an incredibly complicated fix that I don't think is really hitting a home run and you could do better. I will accept it for now, but I don't see it as a permanent solution and I am very hesitant to go back to hosting with it. But I will try it, because I have to.

Since you've asked for our thoughts, here's my honest assessment as one of your hosts who also believes in your brand. I know most of these this time around are vitriolic. I will avoid that.

Let's talk about a physical factor, first of all:

The current solution causes untimely situations with unreallistic resolution deadlines and puts the burden on the wrong party. I, provider, have to call you, umbrella company, in the limited amount of time between a booking and the resevation date while an "I won't show my face" incident is in progress, for a solution. When, previously, it was a customer's job to call *after* an incident, to report discrimination. This just doesn't seem practical. (What if I have to work? What if the booking is for an hour from now?) You'll likely need more staff to deal with this in a timely fashion--more expense for you, probably to an impractical degree, and if you don't do it, you risk alienating your providers and confusing/angering your guest-customers with unprofessional explanations of what's going on (from similarly confounded hosts). You're forcing providers to personally interact with you, the third party booking site, because you're allowing customers not to interact with the provider. Seems like a terrible business expense, both financially and in terms of provider goodwill.

Look, I get it, you're trying to make the company as profitable and clean as possible in prep for running an IPO. So you're catering to changes shareholders and news media would care about.  But that's not going to float your business in the long run.  You need good fundamentals. Me and my house will be here in thirty years. Will your company? Let's think about duty to investors (hosts) in that way for a moment.

Your business fundamentals are a select group of liberal, kind people who care about traveling in a modern way. You don't have to let everybody in on either the host or the guest side. Making the most money and being a Unicorn company is not what this service is about. You don't have to scrape the bottom of the bucket to look better for shareholders--that's the exact kind of crap that is violently deplored by the type of people your business previously/currently caters to.  You're a light for us in an increasingly despotic corporate landscape, please don't break our hearts by doing that.

Legally speaking, I do honestly believe that in-home hosts are "allowed" to discrimiate on various means, regardless of what your policy says, so you may get hit with a lawsuit about that if you push it too far. This is important because you are, almost certainly, also legally responsible for ensuring   certain degree of safety for your contractors (hosts). That is probably a more fundamental legal responsibility before discrimination, at least in the USA. So you could get hit with an even bigger, worse-tasting lawsuit there. (Regardless of if your TOS forces an arbitration agreement--that won't hold up in court, the Consumer Protection Agency struck that down for financial advisors, it'll strike it down for you too.) 

In other words, both edges of the coin have risk, but I think one is more damaging in the long run, and I personally think "not protecting hosts" is more reputational and financial risk than "not doing enough to combat society's racism," even if you are a becoming big evil company whose international base is in Ireland to dodge taxes. (Thanks, updated TOS!)

"Air BnB doesn't have enough controls to prevent rape and death of hosts" is a LOT worse as a media headline and congressional oversight committee talking point than "Air BnB allows racists (but they're kinda working on it)." Worst-case scenario, but still. That's what we think about, as Single Female Hosts (many of whom live in places were rape and minor theft cases won't be followed up on by the police, so it won't matter if we know the guy's name or you know where he lives).

You can wave your non-discrim policy around all you want (and it is a policy with good ideals, it is true), but your policies do not trump the law.  Saying it over and over won't change that, and I expect better from you than that.

Society is racist/ableist/etc discriminatory, especially in America and Asia. You're not going to be able to erase that or fix that by yourselves. One person offered the solution of giving hosts badges on their profiles that state "I am okay with LGBT/minority/foreign/all religions". I think this is a GREAT idea that could avoid micromanaging human behavior, give vulnerable groups safe and clear options, all while allowing a reporting system to continue in a smooth and simple manner when an issue does arise. In short, it is realistic and makes the least amoutn of people mad while delivering the most potential benefit across the board.

That solution, by itself, would still be more than the rest of the hotel and tourist industry does at large aroudn the world, so you could still be considered quite progressive while not putting anyone at risk.  Both sides get something of about equal proportion while maintaining what we all like about this place--I think that's way less risk of all kinds than making the hosts feel over-burdened.  Light touch, and all that.

Of course, you can still follow your non-discrim policy by saying, 'if you are a racist etc please don't come here.' I think offering a positive reward for the behavior you do want plus a policy and reporting system that fends off what you don't want will get much more done than a heavy-handed, convoluted approach that makes many of your providers (hosts) uncomfortable providing service and feeling unheard and discriminated against. (The irony!)

I, personally, view the positive/ward off/after-fact resolution approach as actively combatting problems and would appreciate it the most of all the options. (If you've got some experts around, maybe talk to some about reward system behavior and how badly group punishment is recieved for individuals who aren't involved in the original problem?  Not to be sassy but...if you've got the money, you should do it.)

I do think profile photos should be necessary--and clearly, from the beginning. (Non-discrim policy is one part of your ideals and no-anonymity is the other part. Both have to exist for the system to be in balance. Both groups have to be responsible in their own ways and that is it.)

While I'm here, I do feel like mentioning this: Really all we're asking for is a return of our own sense of safety.  Don't sit there, as a company, arguing semantics of "what really makes you safe" vs "what people makes them feel safe". Don't be that guy, seriously. 

The customer is always right, so please remember that hosts are also your customers. They are your B-to-B customers. You can't pretend their feelings don't matter, or try to strong arm 'options' to dictate to them, while saying 'the B-to-C customer is always right, B-to-B partner!' No: We aren't equal partners, your hosts and you. We can't negotiate that way and you shouldn't use punative logic on us as though we are just another big evil corporation fighting for an extra billion. Both sets are your customers.  Both sets are the little guy. Remember that, and things will go smoother in the future.  They will for me, anyway.

Thanks for listening. Hope it helps. (fight the power, little employee reading this)

Anyway, TLDR: Don't let people opt out of being transparent; that's not the kind of community I want to run, metaphorically or IRL.  Don't let people opt into racism; don't let them opt out of transparency. Empower their best selves without shooting yourself (and us) in the foot, please.

How clearly & beautifully put, fellow Sally. The number of posts regarding nasty perverts targeting female hosts makes me think that a class action suit is on the brew. Terms of service agreements won't shield this company from being held to account for their insistence on egregious risk taking being the price to use this platform. I wish your vision statement would be heeded! I have loved hosting dearly but it's sadly clear that I don't share any values with corporate so I'm snoozing come fall, another Sally

Lydia76
Level 2
Austin, TX

Without host there is no Airbnb! Why are you putting us in danger and putting this new "no photo till your booked" with IB.You push us to use IB, then do this????

J74
Level 2
New York, NY

I've had to stop hosting on several occasions because of the pressure related to accepting a certain quota of request regardless of if they were a good fit or totally disregarded my required guest requirements. I had two very uncomfortable situations that I decided not to panic or overreact to. I just treated the guest extra nice so the situation wouldn't go sour. 

The mother of a 3rd party booking was an alcoholic, smoked cigar and was partially deaf so talked at an extremely high volume on the phone all day. To keep her from drinking and smoking in front of my home, I had to give her access to the entire house so she could drink and smoke in the backyard. It was an awful week for me. It's not that she was very nice. I decided against complaining to her son or Airbnb. in fear of a negative review or worse. Almost all of my 3rd party bookings have been mothers of locals. This always results in a guest that hasn't read my listing and house rules or guest that are totally unfamiliar with home sharing. I always tell the person booking to be sure their guest read the House Rules, yet it never happens. Another thing with the 3rd party guest is they almost always have visitors. Whereas my listing clearly states NO VISITORS.
I then had a young woman book my place for 4 days, leave after 2 days a give my house key to another guest without my knowledge or permission. Again I just decided to treat everyone nicely and make the best of it. Because my maximum length of stay is 6 days, I can endure some of the less than ideal situations with grace.
Because I've been able to use my own judgment to select my guest based on their photos, profile, reviews, and questions back and forth before accepting request the overall experience has been great for me as well as the guest. I value that I have been able to connect with and host likeminded woman. This also doesn't draw attention from my neighbors. 
As I mentioned above I stopped hosting after two problematic guest back to back. Starting back up only recently only to find a new policy in place to further abuse host by not providing profile photos with the booking request. This is absurd, as host images of our homes are made public with detailed information yet we are expected to basically let faceless anonymous people into our homes. This may work fine for instant book and properties that host don't live in. I am a real estate professional and am very well aware of discrimination laws. Even under most laws, people are allowed to decide who the rent to in their private homes. 
Even in online dating where people might interact for an hour or two in public requires profile photos. Bottom line is I need to see the face and eyes of a person coming into my home. I am not running a hotel. The higher level of risk now associated with hosting on Airbnb and the increasing burdens heaped on the host to adhere to unreasonable pressures is taking the joy out of hosting. This is a very imbalanced system that exploits the very (in home) host that they built their Ad Campaigns on. 
SHAME ON YOU AIRBNB for putting PROFIT AND CONVENIENCE BEFORE THE SAFETY AND WELLBEING OF YOUR HOST

I am very inclined to send this information to State Lawmakers as it can potentially be very helpful in determining the higher level of risk now associated with hosting on Airbnb and the increasing burdens heaped on the host to adhere to unreasonable pressures.   
SHAME ON YOU AIRBNB for putting PROFIT BEFORE THE SAFETY AND WELLBEING OF YOUR HOST