Host questions answered: Airbnb’s Summer Release

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Host questions answered: Airbnb’s Summer Release

404769105_0556.jpg

Updated Jun 19, 2022

Just to share a quick update that we have created the promised Resource Center guidelines for listing descriptions has been published and you can read it here.

Hi Hosting Community, 

A month ago, we introduced the Airbnb 2022 Summer Release with a new way to search designed around Airbnb Categories

Since then, we’ve gathered feedback from thousands of Hosts through our Community Center, Host Clubs, emails, and in workshops with the Host Advisory Board and Host leaders. Thank you for your valuable comments and suggestions. 

Today, we want to share an update on some of the important feedback you’ve shared.  More updates will follow. 

You can read about them here.

Please continue to share your ideas and feedback as it directly assists in how we evolve our platform. 

Your continued support, feedback and constructive thoughts on this and many of our release features is incredibly valuable and I encourage you to continue sharing here.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

258 Replies 258
Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

I have de-listed our bunkhouse from AirBnB. In the process, one of the choices of reason was "difficult to use", so I chose that. The site is too difficult for the guests to use to find us.

If those hosts here all de-list, would Air even notice? Want to try and find out? I know that our listing is small potatoes, but all of us constitute a considerable portion of the business.

Ted & Chris

thank you for doing this , but i suppose you will not see this since you have de-listed!

Louise1097
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I am running informal usability sessions most afternoons in our local pub gardens.

When someone mentions accommodation booked or accom being booked, I politely interrupt, and ask for details about their booking journey.

Long story short - quite a few try the Air summer release, say categories is irrelevant ("all yurts and stuff"), say weekend/week is irrelevant (rigid), go to date search, do not find properties as they are not there. Then they give up and go to booking, and book what they want. 

They say Air is too complicated. 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

So which genius decided to make it impossible to search for a couple of nights midweek, flexible on dates?  I'm retired.  I don't select exact dates and location, then property.  I decide location, then vague date (a month or two), then property, then exact dates.  It what anybody not tied to a fixed weekly schedule does - at least the ones of my acquaintance.  This now seems to be impossible - I only get shown properties that are available for a whole week.  As a host, it makes me even less willing to accept short breaks, knowing that the gaps are harder for guests to find.  As a guest, I'll be heading to Booking.com instead (actually, probably as a host too).

Those search options are ridiculous;

My guests FIRST find low cost flights THEN book, it could be 2-7 days or up to months;

Not everyone who want to get away for 4 days want to go thursday to monday!

Absolutely out of touch and ridiculous

James2743
Level 9
Norfolk, United Kingdom

A quick question from the UK.

If you currently search for 'Anywhere' and select the National Park category loads of properties appear in Central London tagged as 'South Downs National Park'. If a customer was to book one of these turn up and then complain that it was an apartment in central London and nowhere near a national park. In that situation would the customer get refunded as the listing is misleading?

@James2743 The national park category seems to be programmed so Airbnb can rent more properties.  It is deceptive marketing; most properties are nowhere near the parks, since the rollout. 

For Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, properties that are two hours away are being marketed, instead of the gateway towns that are 3 miles from the entrance, under national park banners.  I saw listings in Idaho Springs, CO, which is a 2 hr. drive from the park, listed with a banner for Rocky Mountain National Park.  It is located just west of Denver between a mountain and the interstate.  It's great for hot springs and close to Denver; but I feel for the Host and the unhappy guest who thinks they booked a national park vacation!  This is bad business for everyone involved.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

The overall strategy of the Summer Release is to promote week long stays. So many places like mine with average trip length of 3 days will be available to fewer guest searchers. 

I was already booked way out so during the slower season if weekdays are not booked I’ll need to make them available on another booking site and provide enough available dates for them moving forward. Many popular listings like mine only use one booking site. 

im sure Airbnb will be just fine but question why they would give those markets away to their compatition and force their best listings to use alternative sites. 

7E0D7ACE-79AB-4989-B57C-0F98A4632222.png

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Debra300 @Huma0 @Denice0 @John5097 @James2743 @Kathie21 @Louise1097 @Robin4  and everyone else,

I just wanted to come back and share the updated version of this article which details some of the changes already applied, as well as a Listing titles guide we have created over on the Resource Center. Thanks again for your patience and feedback here!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephanie 

Hi Steph, off topic but for some reason I can't send a DM at the moment, can't type in a recipient!

Can you please confirm, James zoom thurs 23rd 8.00 am for me!

Hope all good over there.

Cheers.......Rob

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 🤩

-----

@Stephanie 

When is a zoom?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark-and-Gabriela0!

We organise regular CC Socials where all of our Hosts are welcome to come and chat with each other!

Keep an eye out on the CC for more info about the next one.

Jenny

-----

Hi @Stephanie 

I went to my add through the link provided in the article you have share in order to change my title to a max of 32 characters.

I was doing some test and the error message on title tells us to chose a title that is less than … 50 caractères.

which one is right, the 32 from the latest text or the 50 from the new error message.

is the right hand talking with the left one in AirBNB change management 🤪??

Please inform the development team

0FB1B9FD-E96E-4D71-9125-AD88257AB398.jpeg

Annie