Host questions answered: Airbnb’s Summer Release

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Host questions answered: Airbnb’s Summer Release

404769105_0556.jpg

Updated Jun 19, 2022

Just to share a quick update that we have created the promised Resource Center guidelines for listing descriptions has been published and you can read it here.

Hi Hosting Community, 

A month ago, we introduced the Airbnb 2022 Summer Release with a new way to search designed around Airbnb Categories

Since then, we’ve gathered feedback from thousands of Hosts through our Community Center, Host Clubs, emails, and in workshops with the Host Advisory Board and Host leaders. Thank you for your valuable comments and suggestions. 

Today, we want to share an update on some of the important feedback you’ve shared.  More updates will follow. 

You can read about them here.

Please continue to share your ideas and feedback as it directly assists in how we evolve our platform. 

Your continued support, feedback and constructive thoughts on this and many of our release features is incredibly valuable and I encourage you to continue sharing here.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

258 Replies 258

I think it's not that the AI process is completed.  It's that they think they know better than the guest, what to propose to him.
And they also want to take over control of where people go, draining the cities where there are lots of issues about Airbnbs taking over all the residential real estate, etc.  

Nancy1633
Level 10
Hoboken, NJ

@Catherine-Powell   

As @Kevin129 described it,  the counterintuitive "Step 1"  search is confounding guests: when they search a specific destination from the home screen, they are brought to a page of categories- which they reasonably assume are filters for the location they searched- only to be brought far away from their search location, shown an array of properties offering future WEEKS that are NOT in the place they wanted to stay.  In short, because of the whacky new programming, guests cannot find properties where they want to travel. Guests want an inclusive list of ALL properties where they want to go, then they can check availability for their travel window. Like your original platform, like VRBO.

That Search- fail is where many will leave the site, annoyed. 

If guests do not leave and continue to search their desired location, whole swaths of properties are not displayed on the map. Whatever you are showing them are a fraction of what's available.

For example, if you do an AirBnb search " Catskill Mountains, NY"  the result shows properties in Phoenicia, located in one of 4 NYS Catskill  counties.  My log cabin property is in the Catskill Mountains- 30 minutes from Phoenicia-  it's not shown on your map, it's not even in the "Cabin" category.  On AirBnb, my property only shows for keywords "Margaretville, NY"  then DISAPPEARS when the Category "cabins" is selected. 

Alternatively, VRBO's user-friendly search shows my property EVERY TIME with the following search words plus the "cabin" filter selected: The Catskills, Catskill Mountains, Belleayre Mountain, Delaware County, Andes, NY, Margaretville, NY, Phoenicia, NY.... 

VRBO's search appears to show all RURAL properties in a 15-20 mile radius. And the search "Filter" addresses property type, and appears to be accurate. Their Search is intuitive, like AirBnb's used to be. 

Your reliance on AI to sort 2 million unique properties is a "fail", the default "week" is a fail, removing Host titles is a fail, omitting available  properties on your map is a fail. I was on track to be fully booked this summer- only 2 bookings have come in in the MONTH since the Summer Release. That's absurd.   

AirBnb, you've made searching and finding  properties nearly impossible.   Inevitably, folks in the media will find the search and booking hurdles in your new platform. Isn't it easier to quietly revert back to your old listing and booking platform?  This is no way to treat PARTNER Hosts.

Remember, AirBnb is a listing provider, not a travel agency.  Please bring back the "old" AirBnb. 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Nancy1633 for adding some more details on this first step of the search process that @Kevin129 touched on. I've captured those as well as the rest of your comments further up, I really appreciate your continued feedback!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi Emilie, 

I hope you really do follow up on that first step of the search because that is what is crippling bookings , please please have a look at what hosts are saying about this , I know I have turned myself into a complaining host but it really needs to be changed back and the categories need to be a secondary search if guests want to search for something different, not the way it is set up now , its bad business to ignore hundreds of your hosts

Norm  

Colette203
Level 6
Salmon Arm, Canada

My bookings are down by at least 50% this year. I have four days booked in August when I'm usually full by this point in the season.

I thought it was just me until I saw this thread...

What a cluster**bleep**. 

I've just put a call into VRBO. Any advice from people who run on both platforms?

@Colette203 

We never needed to be on any other booking service before, but I have signed up with VRBO. They had an English speaking person with a Houston phone number call me to transfer our info from our AirBnB listing. I have had to do some corrections on the pricing and photos, but mostly pretty easy. I had both up for about a week. I de-listed from Air, even though I have not had much better results from VRBO. They have some interesting statistics, which say the traffic is down on that site from last month. Some of our booking problems are surely due to high gas prices and uncertain economy.

Chris

Ted & Chris

@Ted307 
It takes a while to "prime the pump" on a new platform, try decreasing minimum stays, decrease price a little, maybe invest in new professional photos, go onto your listing every day and tweak something so the system knows you are present, try to respond immediately should you get any inquiries on the new platform.. 

I did manage to drive a large percentage of my bookings to VRBO with these techniques, it took about 6 months but it is possible.  I did this successfully 2 years ago, because I preferred VRBO guests they are easier and less entitles than what Airbnb guests have become accustomed to.

Then Airbnb creeped up in my market share, during and after covid, but with this new rollout I'm now trying to drive bookings to be more balanced among the platforms since I realized I was way too dependant on any algorithm tweak Airbnb might be rolling out in the future.

@Susan1188 

Those suggestions are right on, and what we did when we started with Air, and now we are doing with VRBO. We have our first VRBO renter this weekend. But, sadly, still no future  bookings! That is in spite of installing AC and re-launching on AirBnB. Lately, we have ZERO views on this service.

Ted & Chris

@Ted307 

I was about to devote myself entirely to Airbnb, it was working so well; Getting excellent guests, compatible in every way with our offer, and providing 5 star service.  Check out our profile, not just "great stay" five star service, my guests write whole paragraphes  of thanks and appreciation about their stay.

Well.   The 2022 rollout comes along and breaks our stride.  After multiple Covid variants already broke our stride but this one was worse.  During Covid, Airbnb refunded our money, while keeping their commissions, only to have guests complain to US!!!! that airbnb was not refunding them!!!!! I almost forgot all of that in the post covid boom.

Until the 2022 rollout, and inadequate client support response to those of us who have built our lives and busines model to excelling as Airbnb superhosts (in the prior algorithm).

The new algorithm apparently does not care if you have shed blood sweat and tears to reach hundreds of five star reviews.  You are now proposed as equivalent, to a new host with one review in a low-rent area 30 km from your location, with cheap photos but who is 80% cheaper.

I have now set up my channel manager, I'm accepting booking dot com reservations got my first one today!  a last minute booking that should have gone thru airbnb but guess what, booking dot com got it.

Very sad because it would have been a great win-win collaboration if I could have felt like a valued partner on Airbnb.  I would rent exclusively with them.  Unfortunately, it seems that valueing their most reliable providers is not a priority for them. This is not their business plan.  I am not their business plan.

So, while I hope things go well with Airbnb, I have now diversified my revenue sources, the opposite of the direction I was planning to go just 5 months ago. 

Colette203
Level 6
Salmon Arm, Canada

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Colette203 

Can't seem to read anything more than the opening paragraph without signing up for a subscription....

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

I was able to copy the text of the article.  The article was written in May 2021, but the last sent is quite striking considering that the big rollout has specific categories for the types of listings mentioned.

"The battle over hosts between Expedia’s EXPE 4.19% Vrbo and Airbnb ABNB 6.68% seems to be in full effect, but the reality is that Airbnb has bigger fish to fry.

Vrbo has been luring Airbnb’s hosts for months now with ads that suggest its platform is more lucrative, something Airbnb has denied. In March, following a pilot period, Vrbo launched a program to attract Airbnb’s top hosts by offering increased visibility of new properties and transferring their review score from Airbnb’s site so hosts can join its platform with immediate status.

Debra300_0-1655610805994.png

It seems to be working. Vrbo said it has had several thousand hosts participate in that program, which has led to sizable increases in booking value and nights booked per listing for those hosts. Neither platform outwardly discourages cross-listing, but it is time-consuming and somewhat convoluted, such that many hosts with a single property don’t do it without the help of a manager.

While data from short-term rental analytics platform AirDNA shows Airbnb has increased its overall active listings over the past 12 months, travel-news publication Skift reported Airbnb lost nearly 1 in 10 single-property hosts in the 12 months ended March 31, citing data from vacation-rental data provider Transparent. That data shows single-property hosts made up more than 70% of Airbnb’s total host population at the end of the first quarter.

As demand comes back, it is clear that Airbnb has a host problem. Some worried about sharing their homes during a pandemic; others were angered by the company’s decision to offer guests refunds for canceled bookings when it set in. Vrbo published guidance for hosts, but let them ultimately negotiate refunds themselves.

But in the grand scheme of things, Airbnb matters much more to Vrbo than vice versa. Vrbo says it has over two million listings, though not all of them are active. Airbnb says it has 5.4 million active listings.

Skift reported that Vrbo spent more than 10 times what Airbnb did on U.S. advertising in the first two months of the year, citing data from Kantar Media. Expedia doesn’t break out financials for Vrbo, but it spent 53% of its revenue in the first quarter on selling and marketing. Airbnb spent less than 26% of its revenue on its equivalent line item that quarter, even including the launch of its first large-scale marketing campaign in five years.

Vrbo has historically focused on the U.S. market, where the short-term rental market is undeniably hot right now. Jeff Hurst, president of Vrbo and marketing co-lead of Expedia, said this has been the best start to a year Vrbo has ever seen. But it is possible that Vrbo’s new hosts are making more money than usual right now because of the increased promotion they are getting, which is temporary. When that fades and business normalizes, hosts who switched rather than cross-listing could go back to Airbnb.

Debra300_1-1655610934376.png

For now, Airbnb’s more international footprint is a hindrance. AirDNA data shows three of Airbnb’s 10 largest countries had year-over-year declines in active listings across all short-term rental platforms in February. Specific to Airbnb, the data also show its active listings are still down significantly in many major urban cities world-wide, where its business is the strongest. In places like New York, Toronto and Beijing, both available and active listings on its platform declined from February 2020 to April 2021, suggesting the loss of some of those listings could outlast the pandemic.

It makes sense that U.S.-focused Vrbo is thriving right now: Of the 10 largest countries for short-term rentals for Airbnb, only the U.S. posted growth in April versus the same month in 2019, according to AirDNA. Global demand was still down 31% on that basis.

That, not Vrbo, explains why Airbnb is rushing now to solve its host problem. As vaccination rates tick up world-wide, Airbnb is on the cusp of its own boom—but it has to have the yurts, treehouses and Airstreams onboarded to host it."

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thanks @Debra300 .

Yes, the last sentence is quite striking. I still don't get why yurts, treehouses and airstreams are essential to meet the up-tick in vaccination rates though. Really, what percentage of vacationers actually book these, versus a more traditional b&b set up or apartment?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

My first thought is that showcasing these types of properties is an attempt to differentiation, and highlight that they offer a range of diverse accommodations which are not likely to be found on other platforms.  As always, proper preparation before implementation is key, and Airbnb didn't do beta testing or a pilot with a select group real platform users before the rollout.  

Indeed, airbnb has become the place to book a yurt.  For a great apartment in a classic beach resort or city, maybe not so much.