Hosting Update: Superhost news, travel trends, and more

Hosting Update: Superhost news, travel trends, and more

BeloRauschBG (1).png

Hi everyone,

I’m pleased to be sharing this Host update with you, which has some exciting news and resources for our community including changes to the 2021 Superhost assessments, guest insights, and hosting tools updates. 

As people’s wanderlust begins to return, a top goal is to help you, our Hosts, prepare for travel’s return. As CEO Brian Chesky noted, “People can’t wait to travel again and when they’re able to, we anticipate significant pent-up demand, which will be directed to you.” 

This is an exciting time, but also a time where we still need to consider our own and our guests’ safety, and adjust to the new normals of work, travel, and play. I hope the information in this update gives you some useful tools and peace of mind as you begin to revisit your listings.

I’ll be back in touch again soon with more news! 

Take care of yourselves, 

Catherine

55 Replies 55
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I read the insights to help attract guests

• “Pet-friendly” is the most searched-for amenity by guests
  • Jacuzzis are currently trending 79% year-over-year in guest searches

Sorry, but "no pets allowed" on my listings and no Jacuzzi ;>)

I also have no pets allowed because some guests are allergic and want a place to stay where they won't have an issue. Perhaps you could include that in your listing to help attract clients who are allergic to pets.

I have allowed one guest with a pet because it was a service dog. With the COVID cleaning protocols I think I was able to ensure people don't have problems. I have cherry wood floors and no rugs which helps with allergens not being brought in.

Patricia, I have thought the same thing about no pets because of allergies.  Many of our family and friends, and now, guests have allergies to pets, foods, air quality. You could make that into a plus for staying there/here. I actually have had people stay here because past guests have shared that I go the extra to make our place safe physically, also air purity, and going the extra mile to allow a spouse of someone with Covid to stay here when other places would not even consider it.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Wow @Catherine-Powell - I'll have to change my tune on the HAB. THEY HAVE ADVOCATED FOR US TO RELAX THE SUPERHOST STATUS CRITERIA!

The HAB isn't just flannel after all. I wonder what they will do in their next 4 months.

I know this must be a dumb question. What does HAB mean?

Host Advisory Board (it's in the article that's linked and being discussed; did you read it?)

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Catherine-Powell 

Interesting statistics in the linked article. I'd appreciate more of this.

I feel the same way, @Ute42.  Always wish for more data on guests and the way they search.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Thanks, @Catherine-Powell - and hi, Ozzy!  Encouraging stuff.  Maybe the HAB will persuade Airbnb to add a pet fee, @Mike-And-Jane0!

@Ann72 This would be great.  Right now, I send a separate request via the app.  It is noted in my listing and house rules so the guests are not surprised by it.  I charge it once they check in.

That's the work-around, @Casey-And-Dane-lle0.  There are so many options in the drop-down fees list, though - linens fee, community fee, etc. - I don't know why there can't be a pet fee there.  Many hosts have asked for it for a long time!

@Ann72   100% agree.

Long past due!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Ann72   

I don't know if You recall this, but last year airbnb had already relaxed the SUPERHOST STATUS CRETERIA several times. So we can't be sure if the 2021 relaxation is based on the hard work of the HAB or if we would have gotten that anyway.

I think the HAB should come up with something unique, genuine and truely revolutionary, something that has never been there before, like a security deposit.

I'm not talking about a „security deposit“ What I'm talking about is a

• Security Deposit.